• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoons you loved as a child that were actually s***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spiderman
notl.jpg

Barely made it through the first episode. Like meeting an old friend and realizing they're dying of cancer

Sonic the Hedgehog
SatAmbox_set1.jpg

Geez, where to start. This show was basically a furry version of captain planet. Robotnik and Snively get off on polluting the planet for no discernable reason and its up to Sonic and his furry friends to stop them. Throw in some oddly placed magical elements here and there, and slap a chilly dog on it. Sonic on ABC was just horrid

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sonic the Hedgehog
[IMGhttp://nerdsontherocks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/SatAmbox_set1.jpg[/IMG]
Geez, where to start. This show was basically a furry version of captain planet. Robotnik and Snively get off on polluting the planet for no discernable reason and its up to Sonic and his furry friends to stop them. Throw in some oddly placed magical elements here and there, and slap a chilly dog on it. Sonic on ABC was just horrid

Oh god now you've done it. The Sonic SatAM fanboys will be in this thread any minute now...

MikeMyers

X-Men TAS hasn't aged that well either, the story arcs were all over the place when I rewatched on Netflix.

Xmen Evolution still holds up though

FillerB

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987).

While not actually completely shit on the level of Spider-man, the nostalgia goggles are still very strong in this one.

McNei1y

I remember I got up at 6am one time when I was 8-10 and I watched Donkey Kong Country. Not sure if I remember it being good or not.

Evlar

Banned
Mister T
The cartoon stars Mr. T as a coach to a gymnastics team (with a specific emphasis on members Jeff, Woody, Robin, and Kim), travelling the world while becoming involved in and solving various mysteries.
I guess it was the only thing on.

HoodWinked

xmen imo is the opposite, alot of depth of the show went over my head as a kid, watching episodes here and there on disney XD i'm enjoying it more than ever.

TheMan

face it, they're almost all shit. we only liked 99% of these shows cause we were kids and we didn't know any better.

Ceebs

face it, they're almost all shit. we only liked 99% of these shows cause we were kids and we didn't know any better.

Pretty much. With the exception of stuff like Freakazoid, they are all terrible unless you are wearing some heavy nostalgia goggles.

Loofy

Caught some episodes awhile ago. I remember it being more epic when I was a kid. But it was just corny now. (jungle book anime)
iiSrm.jpg

<---rocko gets better and more relevant as you get older though.

Evlar

Banned
There actually aren't many 80s cartoons I could straight-up despise. It requires the right mix of high "suck" and low "camp" ratios.

Eusis

Lets be honest here, just about all of them.
This is hard to deny, though obviously Simpsons held up best. Still, the one that sticks out most in my mind is probably Thundercats, I remember loving this when I was a toddler, watching it when I was a teenager and I was blown away by just how dumb it was. At least I can get some enjoyment out of Transformers still, and some of those Nicktoons seemed to be designed on two levels.
Evangelion.
Well, now THAT'S a different choice. I don't think I'd view it as fondly as I once did, but I might get more out of trying to rewatch it now at least unlike something like Transformers. Appreciating the animation quality more at the very least, though it's tough to top Cowboy Bebop for cel animated TV anime.

Any action cartoon that had square man chin characters. I mean seriously, why did all 90s cartoon action protagonists have those ugly square chins?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
ThunderCats.

As a kid, they were amazing. As an adult however...

Note: I only watched 10 minutes as an adult. I stopped it. I want to remember the ThunderCats as they are in my nostalgic memories.

Pro stars. With Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, and Wayne Gretzky. ....loved it as a child. Watched an episode or two a few years back and it's pretty much the worst thing ever animated

Spiderman
notl.jpg

Barely made it through the first episode. Like meeting an old friend and realizing they're dying of cancer

OP nailed it. I've realized that action cartoons tend to age horribly (Batman: TAS being the lone exception as far as American offerings go), but the comedies I loved as a kid I still love now (Looney Tunes, Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, Dexter's Lab, etc)

markot

Banned
Really though... they were all pretty terrible >.<

99% of the time they were just there to sell you on action figures and crap.

Things like Rocko, Pinky and the Brain and what not are brilliant though. (Yeah, the comedies were often 1st class)

Eusis

ThunderCats.

As a kid, they were amazing. As an adult however...

Note: I only watched 10 minutes as an adult. I stopped it. I want to remember the ThunderCats as they are in my nostalgic memories.
I posted above, but man, this is REALLY close to my experience. Except I'm more than willing to accept they're no good now, stuff like Transformers was what I was really fond of, along with some of the darker cartoons (or seemingly darker to me as a toddler) like Lord of the Rings and Starchaser: Legend of Orin. I know the first won't hold up well though, and the latter might not although I'm willing to watch it again anyway.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This is hard to deny, though obviously Simpsons held up best. Still, the one that sticks out most in my mind is probably Thundercats, I remember loving this when I was a toddler, watching it when I was a teenager and I was blown away by just how dumb it was. At least I can get some enjoyment out of Transformers still, and some of those Nicktoons seemed to be designed on two levels.

Yeah, no doubt, there are a few exceptions.

Street Shark hit Netflix a few weeks back, and I remember loving it. Even had the toys, and whatnot. So I decide to watch it for old times sake, and it's pretty bad. Crappy one liners all over the place.

Naw, not all. Spongebob Squarepants Seasons 1-3 are still great. Fairly Odd Parents too.

You must be pretty young if you grew up on SB. :p

the-tick.jpg

I haven't rewatched this one yet, but its gotta be good. Its just gotta be

Batman%20TAS.jpg

Maybe superhero characters with large chins are immune to this? But really, the first season of Batman: TAS was fantastic. Sure it had its share of filler episodes as well, but that is what happens when they have to produce 65 episodes for syndication purposes. Not all of them can be winners. But when it was good... it was good.

I never liked the redesigns in the later "Batman and Robin" series though. But even that season had some really good episodes.

Also, the first 2 1/2 seasons of Ren & Stimpy were wonderful. So were the early seasons of Johnny Bravo and Dexters Lab.

There actually aren't many 80s cartoons I could straight-up despise. It requires the right mix of high "suck" and low "camp" ratios.

Haha, sort of. I have a soft spot for cartoons from the 80's, most are so cheesy/ camp that I cannot outright hate them.

nns3d

Man, I used to think the Spider-Man cartoon was the greatest thing ever. I remember rewatching it awhile back and it was painfully obvious how many cut-and-paste scenes that they did (I noticed it as a kid, but it was even more apparent going back to it).

Speevy

Banned
They were shows for kids. I doubt their creators considered how they'd hold up to twenty-something message board users' scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom