• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

Carnage and Wilson Fisk were important plot characters in the ASM2 game. Wilson Fisk didn't even exist in the same movie universe as Spidey at that time lmao. It do not matter.
Uh, the ASM2 game largely has nothing to do with the movie besides being released near it. Spider-Man 2 has most of the same story beats as the film. It's not a good comparison. Are you just arguing for the sake of it?

ZeoVGM

Banned
I feel like the ASM1 hate is a bit much. It's a flawed but solid film with some silly moments. Still better than SM3.

SM3 and ASM2 are the truly terrible ones.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Shocker and Vulture's appearance's in the first game are largely irrelevant to the main story, as are Mysterio and Rhino in the sequel. Black Cat was tied to Peter's growing divide between his normal life and hero life and how he was losing grips with both.

Like take for example their final scene: https://youtu.be/YWGUuGaV1uM

Anyway, this isn't really the place to talk about this. So agree to disagree.

Jesus christ, the voice acting here is pretty terrible.

You know he WANTED that role?

Honestly, he looks like he had fun. Show up on set, act like a clown, collect a paycheck, and until it collapsed, they probably had him tapped for Sinister Six.

I do wonder if Sony regrets not moving forward with Sinister Six after seeing how successful Suicide Squad was, financially. And with Drew Goddard helming it, it could've turned out OK.

So...

How 'bout that Spider-Man Homecoming, eh?

😑

Looks fun!

Anybody going to be in New York City from the 26th to... August? Sony Square at Madison Square Park is going to have a Spider-Man Homecoming exhibit, with props from the film on display including the suit. Whether it's the first suit or the one Stark provided for Civil War and this movie, I have no idea. Tom Holland's also in the city for the week, hoping he drops by. >_>

Garou

I feel like the ASM1 hate is a bit much. It's a flawed but solid film with some silly moments. Still better than SM3.

SM3 and ASM2 are the truly terrible ones.

Except ASM should be called APP, for a Spider-Man movie this one had an awful lack of Spider-Man scenes.

Honestly, he looks like he had fun. Show up on set, act like a clown, collect a paycheck, and until it collapsed, they probably had him tapped for Sinister Six.

I do wonder if Sony regrets not moving forward with Sinister Six after seeing how successful Suicide Squad was, financially. And with Drew Goddard helming it, it could've turned out OK.
I thought they were still doing a Sinister Six film? All they need to do is introduce two more villains for Homecoming 2 then have the Sinister Six star Doc Oct, toss in a sixth that doesn't need much explaining or back story like the Rhino, add Spider-Man as the antagonist and vualla.

Sanjuro

CZGQUG4WYAAxgBe.jpg

I feel like the hot takes between arguably one of the most well received comic book films and a highly anticipated film nobody has seen is all over the goddam spectrum.

Paul Giamatti has:

Been in a FMV video game along with Christopher Walken where he was a weirdo autospy guy
Been in a major Hollywood film where he gropes a dead girl's tit and is really into milk stuff for some reason
Been John Adams

He does whatever and he's one of the greats so step back

Edit: Wow I forgot that Tobey actually did the VO for the Spidey games

That's what I want in a Spider-Man film is a day in the life battle between a villain and that's it, move on, no backstory or explanation of the character. The Rhino battle with Giamatti was so close.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Paul Giamatti has:

Been in a FMV video game along with Christopher Walken where he was a weirdo autospy guy
Been in a major Hollywood film where he gropes a dead girl's tit and is really into milk stuff for some reason
Been John Adams

He will always be Pig Vomit to me

Sanjuro

Paul Giamatti has:

Been John Adams

"My friend Bonesaw always told me..."

Hot take: comic book movies probably should've fallen out of vogue in favor of something else by now, but studios are so risk-averse these days that the hot new thing hasn't arrived on schedule.

Superhero flicks are basically the Westerns of the modern era, yet haven't had even remotely the same level of ubiquity and have only been seriously in-vogue for barely half as long as those films.

y2dvd

Looks fun!

Anybody going to be in New York City from the 26th to... August? Sony Square at Madison Square Park is going to have a Spider-Man Homecoming exhibit, with props from the film on display including the suit. Whether it's the first suit or the one Stark provided for Civil War and this movie, I have no idea. Tom Holland's also in the city for the week, hoping he drops by. >_>

I don't want fun. I want STEAKS!

Sami+

Paul Giamatti has:

Been John Adams

"oh no. I'm late to doctor connors class. If I hurry I can make it in time."
"if I keep flipping these pizzas, mr aziz is gonna flip out"

His flat delivery of every line is part of the reason weird charm Spider-Man 2 has lmao.

Uh, the ASM2 game largely has nothing to do with the movie besides being released near it. Spider-Man 2 has most of the same story beats as the film. It's not a good comparison. Are you just arguing for the sake of it?

"Largely nothing." Lol. It's a Spider-Man movie game. It's a perfect comparison. They're all pretty much like that. But *shrug*

3 days left.

Sony had locked down a release date that Raimi didn't feel comfortable trying to hit, so they both called it off

There were some hilarious plot details floating around a while back, but I can't find them.

All I remember is Malkovich as Vulture, Anne Hathaway as Vultress (yes, really), and Peter would have a son.

I though Hathaway was gonna be black cat?

remind me, is there an actual practical use to the blinking eyes?

I would think that Iron Man put them there to like zoom in, but possibly he wants to give it more like-like properties so he isn't as scary to people.

Theecliff

Banned

I would think that Iron Man put them there to like zoom in, but possibly he wants to give it more like-like properties so he isn't as scary to people.
it was explained in civil war that he needs to wear goggles because he finds it hard to focus his vision, hence the suit having eye slits that can get bigger or smaller. in the end it's just a way to explain how the mask can have expressive eyes.

The film looks good so far. I'm glad they decided to skip the origin story this time. No matter how you feel about the Raimi films, they'll never do better than the one shown in the original.

This iteration of Peter has trouble focusing his general senses since they're all so much more sensitive post-radioactive spider bite. He wore dark goggles in his homemade pre-Civil War suit to help filter extra input out, so Tony's made him lenses that do that on the fly.

It's all just a really clever excuse to give him emotive eyes like in the comics, though. Which is dope.

Were the goggles just normal goggles or did they have a similar set-up where they served as white lens which adjusted in size like with the Stark Suit?
We dont really see the homemade suit much in Civil war, but the hot toys figure for homemade suit have the adjustable lenses.

SpaceWolf

Banned
That could be the case. I'm just not comfortable with Stark being responsible for basically everything except the web shooters.

Same, mate. I actually really liked that apparently Spidey at least got to invent his own eyes first, but I guess not.

Stark even invented this Spiderman's catchphrase for him, for crying out loud!

Sami+

Is that what people are talking about in here?? Spider-Man 2 has a lot of problems and had a very particular cheesy tone at times but it's easily one of the best superhero movies purely because of how much it focused on Peter and his life.

This one just looks ok but eh maybe it'll surprise. "With great power comes great fun"... ehhh...

Same, mate. I actually really liked that apparently Spidey at least got to invent his own eyes first, but I guess not.

Stark even invented this Spiderman's catchphrase for him, for crying out loud!
Stark invented:

- the spider signal
- different web configurations
- the catchphrase
- the iconic suit

The man is a menace!

Is that what people are talking about in here?? Spider-Man 2 has a lot of problems and had a very particular cheesy tone at times but it's easily one of the best superhero movies purely because of how much it focused on Peter and his life.

This one just looks ok but eh maybe it'll surprise. "With great power comes great fun"... ehhh...

It's a fine movie. Not a great Spidey film, but a fine movie.

I resent that Tony seems to be responsible for a good chunk of Peter's gadgets, but I won't mind so long as the movie ends with Peter realizing he's more than capable of running shit himself. Something similar to his renouncing of the Iron Spider suit in the Civil War comic.

Top Bottom