• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
Except when certain shows like Person of Interest come on. Then the tv magically switches off for the hour and then back on when it's done.

I wonder what CBS' awesome show will be now, now that Person of Interest is gone. I guess with football and returning shows, it might not happen till midseason or later.

Then, when you die alone sitting in front of your TV, your limp, lifeless body rolls over, hitting the buttons on the remote for your local CW affiliate.

Then you become part of the ~300k that will watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend or Jane the Virgin just the same as a Mortal Kombat X tournament.

As long as the channel doesn't land on TLC and all of its monstrosities, that's an okay deal.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What would be the top tier network shows? I know Cable is like The Walking Dead, which I do watch. Is there anything else worthy? (I also have heard good things about The Americans).

If you mean by popularity, the current top rated network shows are The Big Bang Theory, Empire, NCIS, Grey's Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder, Modern Family, The Blindspot, NCIS Spinoff, Scandal, and I don't know what would come next-ish. As of their current seasons there is literally nothing on that list I'd recommend watching.

If you mean by critical acclaim, I can't think of a single show on network television that has broad critical acclaim since The Good Wife ended. Maybe American Crime on ABC (not to be confused with the vastly more popular American Crime Story, which is on cable). I just checked Metacritic and here are a list of network TV shows with good reviews in 2016: American Crime, The Carmichael Show, Colony, The Real O'Neals, BrainDead. Of those the only one I stuck with was BrainDead, which is airing right now on CBS.

I don't mean to a coastal educated snob or whatever but network TV really hasn't captured the critical imagination for some years now. Like you and your girlfriend, everyone has moved to Netflix and HBO.

berzeli

Banned
Oh, we're still talking about Rubicon so that means that it is still cool for me to plug its French spiritual successor called Le Bureau des Légendes (which has gotten renewed twice!) and is available for streaming on Amazon UK and as Ratsky pointed out will at least get a DVD release in the US?

Patryn

I'm not going to say that Limitless was the best show that got cancelled, but I feel like it probably had some of the most long-term commercial potential of any cancelled show last year.

I really am kind of amazed that no streaming service picked it up. I mean, I'm not amazed, shows getting picked up after cancellation is rare, but it seemed like an obvious choice.

Get the movie, get the series, push them as a single unit.

As for first casualty of the season, I have my eye on the show that's based on a 15+ year old movie. Yeah, that one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Does anyone have that TV Calendar website someone posted here ages ago? I forget it's name and I kinda need the link for it.

Tapejara

Didn't really follow the cancellation list last season, so only finding out now that Bordertown was cancelled. Not surprised. The show itself was duller than Family Guy S14; plus the art style had to have been a huge turn off. I guess they have that Son of Zorn show to replace it now?

Still not happy The Muppets got cancelled, I really enjoyed that first season!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Subscribing.
Didn't know that ivy left us ;_;

Also, does anyone know if the CW-Netflix deal means that new episodes will no longer be up on Hulu?

Someone literally found a dead body because of it so I feel like they've been topped.

Unless it involved James Van Der Beek using Pokemon GO to find the murderer by pretending to be a Pokemon or something.
Not hilariously stupid enough for CSI

There are a gazillion examples but that one will always be the gold standard to me <3

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Also, does anyone know if the CW-Netflix deal means that new episodes will no longer be up on Hulu?

Looks like it:

With the Hulu deal ending, in-season streaming access to CW series will flow through the advertising-supported CWTV.com website and app as well as its affiliate stations’ VOD deals with various MVPD providers. In-season access will remain limited to a rolling-five most recent episodes, in most cases.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
If you mean by popularity, the current top rated network shows are The Big Bang Theory, Empire, NCIS, Grey's Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder, Modern Family, The Blindspot, NCIS Spinoff, Scandal, and I don't know what would come next-ish. As of their current seasons there is literally nothing on that list I'd recommend watching.

If you mean by critical acclaim, I can't think of a single show on network television that has broad critical acclaim since The Good Wife ended. Maybe American Crime on ABC (not to be confused with the vastly more popular American Crime Story, which is on cable). I just checked Metacritic and here are a list of network TV shows with good reviews in 2016: American Crime, The Carmichael Show, Colony, The Real O'Neals, BrainDead. Of those the only one I stuck with was BrainDead, which is airing right now on CBS.

I don't mean to a coastal educated snob or whatever but network TV really hasn't captured the critical imagination for some years now. Like you and your girlfriend, everyone has moved to Netflix and HBO.
Ok this make a lot of sense, thank you. I was really hoping I wasn't being too snobby when I thought most network shows weren't really doing much. Is Braindead really that good? The premise sounded kind of insane and I thought it would be cancelled pretty quickly. Maybe I would check out American Crime and Colony as well. Otherwise I'll probably just be sticking to streaming whatever I can.

Malvingt2

The first image hurts. Limitless was way, way better than it had any right to be.

rubix_cubes.gif

God, I am going to miss this show so much.. it hurts.. ;(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is Braindead really that good? The premise sounded kind of insane and I thought it would be cancelled pretty quickly.

I like it, there are a lot of clever background details. It is insane. It will be cancelled quickly--the two-part season (series) finale airs on September 11th.

I just recently finished Limitless on Netflix, probably because of praise in this thread. But during the season for some reason I thought it was a self contained season, not intended to go past one season. Man that's disappointing it wasn't given a second chance somewhere else. The show was pretty much a buddy cop show with Debra Morgan and a young Nate from Six Feet Under.

I'm a huge sucker for ABC comedies so I'm in for Speechless and American Housewife at least. Definitelt watching Designated Survivor for Keifer Sutherland.
Not sure what else I'll pick up this season, we'll see.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Is Limitless worth watching or does it end up on a cliffhanger?

Aiii

So not worth it
So, I tried out the MTV shows Mary + Jane and Loosely Exactly Nicole that started this week and I didn't finish either one of them. Shows like Awkard and Faking It might not have been top notch comedy either, but they were quirky and fun. These two new shows targeted at early 20-somethings are just what you expect. Casual sex jokes and hipster jokes.

Mary + Jane struggle when their start-up weed dealership gets a "yelp, but not really yelp and for weed"-review from a guy one of them had sex with that implies they are prostitutes. Lol, right? No.

Loosely Exactly Nicole was booted after the male gay friend character went in for blowjob classes with quirky bff. Because nothing says hilarious like a blowjob gag humor.

Nope, just nope.

KonradLaw

I miss Constantine. And DC just keeps dangling dat hope in front of me, first as guest role in Arrow, now with Ryan voice in animated movie.

Cappa

Banned
Hey all... I need some help remembering a show from a few years back that afai can remember was canceled abruptly and I absolutely loved it. I remember watching 3-4 episodes and loved it and all of a sudden it was canceled and I don't think it ever aired completely.

It was about a priest that would have to deal with exorcist and stigmata type deals. It was pretty hardcore stuff. I think it aired on NBC. I've tried Google but I can't find it for the life of me.

berzeli

Banned
Hey all... I need some help remembering a show from a few years back that afai can remember was canceled abruptly and I absolutely loved it. I remember watching 3-4 episodes and loved it and all of a sudden it was canceled and I don't think it ever aired completely.

It was about a priest that would have to deal with exorcist and stigmata type deals. It was pretty hardcore stuff. I think it aired on NBC. I've tried Google but I can't find it for the life of me.

Are you sure it aired on NBC (i.e. was an American show)?

'Cause what you described sounds an awful lot like Apparitions, a British six part drama made by the BBC. Trailer, IMDb page.

Sounds like Miracles. Was on ABC in 2003. From looking at the airing dates they showed 6, ending in March, then the remaining 7 aired somewhere in November and December.

gblues

Banned
I'm expecting Thomas Gibson getting his ass fired from Criminal Minds is going to be the show's killing blow. I just hope Hotch gets a better exit than Gideon did.

he won't.

Cappa

Banned
Sounds like Miracles. Was on ABC in 2003. From looking at the airing dates they showed 6, ending in March, then the remaining 7 aired somewhere in November and December.
oh my God yessssss that is it! Thank you based TV gaf :) What an amazing show. I did not know they actually aired the entire season. I need to re-watch it and this showneeds to be brought back asap!

Are you sure it aired on NBC (i.e. was an American show)?

'Cause what you described sounds an awful lot like Apparitions, a British six part drama made by the BBC. Trailer, IMDb page.
I never heard of that one, if it's anything like miracles I might give it a look as well.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm expecting Thomas Gibson getting his ass fired from Criminal Minds is going to be the show's killing blow. I just hope Hotch gets a better exit than Gideon did.

he won't.

I suspect he'll be a case of theirs after disappearing for a bit, and the hole he left in the team will haunt them all season. Then again, the show always ends with the bad guy taking someone hostage, every single time, so maybe they'll just clumsily forget about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom