• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I had a sleep paralysis the other day and I felt a presence in my room

It started when I woke up in the morning at 9 AM this past Tuesday suddenly I felt very heavy I couldn't move my body even if I tried really hard to do so I also tried to talk to my mother (she is in the other room) but I couldn't say a single word I started to become anxious and I did my best to move or scream but it was worthless I felt extremely tired and my eyes we´re closing very fast, that's when I felt a presence in my room right next to me but I couldn't move my head to see it I really felt something or someone with me (I know it was just my mind playing with me)

I was not scared I was just uncomfortable after a little bit the presence seated on my bed right around my arm and that's when I blacked out, after 4 hours I woke up and was covered in sweat

it was a horrible experience and the last time something like this happened to me was years ago, I wanted to share this with you to see what do you think about it thanks

Chumley

Banned
You're not alone, I've had it many times before usually after daytime naps. Absolutely terrifying. Luckily hasn't happened to me in about a year now, but I remember experiencing the same thing.

I have sleep paralysis all the time. I'm basically over it. I just makes sure I can breathe until it's over. None of that shit is real.

vikki

Welcome to the club. Just don't let a group of them stand around you, that's how they burn your soul.

Chumley

Banned
I have sleep paralysis all the time. I'm basically over it. I just makes sure I can breathe until it's over. None of that shit is real.

Every time, though, the feeling of trying to move your body and not being able to is just too horrible. It feels like it'll be like that forever, unless I keep trying to move my arm or something.

Welcome to the club. I had my last one last year. I used to have it more often when I was younger but it's kinda fading with age.

(Not sleeping on my back also definitely helps)

Every time, though, the feeling of trying to move your body and not being able to is just too horrible. It feels like it'll be like that forever, unless I keep trying to move my arm or something.

It really is but I have it so often that I'm used to all the fear that causes. I just ignore the fear at that point.

Get it every few years or so. It's terrifying and so cool at the same time. My visitor is usually a witch coming in through the window.

SigSig

NMlMNLo.gif

You're not alone, I've had it many times before usually after daytime naps. Absolutely terrifying. Luckily hasn't happened to me in about a year now, but I remember experiencing the same thing.

The last time it happened to me was I think 10 years ago it is indeed a scary experience

I have read here on GAF that it's associated with alien abductions and that kind of stuff (which that is another story)

It was a hypnagogic hallucination i get em everytime i have sleep paralysis.

Just searched that on Google I'm sorry to hear that, is there anything you can do yo help you with that?

Welcome to the club. I had my last one last year. I used to have it more often when I was younger but it's kinda fading with age.

(Not sleeping on my back also definitely helps)

Last time for me was 10 years ago I'm 21

I heavily advise you to throw yourself into physical activities Gym, Basketball etc.

I used to go to the Gym 4 times per week during all of 2016 but due to economy problems I stopped to go I miss it a lot

Slime

Banned
Being unable to move is the worst part, but for me it got less vivid as time went on. Now when it happens it barely registers and feels more clearly dream-like. The only problem I still have now is if the sleep paralysis happens while I'm sleeping in an awkward/uncomfortable position. It's more of a frustration now, compared to the sheer terror it was the first bunch of times it happened a decade+ ago.

Spectone

I remember decades ago that I woke up and there was this demonic figure on top of my chest attacking me. Fortunately that was the only time it was that bad.

Get it every few years or so. It's terrifying and so cool at the same time. My visitor is usually a witch coming in through the window.

That's interesting this time my "visitor" was like a complete black being and the last time it was the greys

I haven't had sleep paralysis in quite a while. I kinda miss it. It's like experiencing a horror movie for free :)

lol that made me smile :)

Holy guacamole what is the source?

I remember decades ago that I woke up and there was this demonic figure on top of my chest attacking me. Fortunately that was the only time it was that bad.

that sounds horrible what did you do after that? if you don't mind me asking of course

I had it one time.

I woke up and my sheets were slowly being pulled off of me. Tjere was a definite feeling of something being in the room with me. I couldn't move, but I could see everything. Was pretty damn scary.

Protome

That's interesting this time my "visitor" was like a complete black being and the last time it was the greys

Shadow people are the most common sleep paralysis hallucination tons of people have reported seeing them. Personally I used to experience sleep paralysis most mornings as a teenager but never hallucinated anything.

Yup. I get this once every few months. Usually on weekends when I sleep in, it seems like.

I have visual and auditory hallucinations with it. My "visitor" and I talk shit to each other; I taunt it.

I first experienced it in college, in the dorms. One of my friends had his bed on the other side of the wall. I tried to hit and kick the wall but I couldn't move. I also has the same hallucinations which were freaky as hell the first time. Told my friend about it, he's super religious (Catholic) and showed up later that day with holy water, which I thought was kind of silly, especially after I researched it.

Once I got over the fear, because it's really all in your head, I started "taunting it."

Edit: mine's always a black shadowy thing with red eyes that hangs out in the top corner of the room. Sometimes it spreads out but usually not.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
The "aliens" meme is so played out, but damn if it doesn't fit.

How's your ass feeling, OP?

Yes this time my visitor well the little I managed to see him was a black shadow thing and when I was younger I had 3 sleep paralysis and they we're the same visitors (gray aliens) is there a way to prevent this?

Ravelle

Happened to me as well a couple of times this year.

Feels like something heavy sits atop of your chest, pushing all the air out of your lungs. I had to push myself to jump out of bed and take some really deep breaths.

It's probably just succubi paying you a visit though.

_Ryo_

Thanfully I havent had this for months. Used to have it several times a week as a teen.

Its scary as fuck. And I almost always hallucinate. I am not afraid of horror monsters or movies or novels at all but when I am wide awake, literally cant move my body an inch and theres a horrible realistic looking demon by the window, yes it is horrifying.

Fuck sleep paralysis. Its awful.

As an adult I have it much, much less but that is partly because I am a bit of an insomniac and cant sleep anyway...

Hyun Sai

I had this often during high school / college. And then it stopped, not sure why, after I moved in my own appartment.

This hasn't happened to me in a while luckily. but when it does is always an invisible entity and it climbs on top of me. I can feel its leg straddle the sides of my hips and it either starts to strangle my neck or puts a pillow on my face to suffocate me.

At this point I always panic and after about a minute or two of struggling as hard as I can I usually force my self awake and out of the sleep paralyses.

And yes, I feel pain during the episodes.

This hasn't happened to me in a while luckily. but when it does is always an invisible entity and it climbs on top of me. I can feel its leg straddle the sides of my hips and it either starts to strangle my neck or puts a pillow on my face to suffocate me.

At this point I always panic and after about a minute or two of struggling as hard as I can I usually force my self awake and out of the sleep paralyses.

And yes, I feel pain during the episodes.

Damn that's terrible :( it sucks that you have that level of paralysis

I don't remember as it was too long ago.

All right no problem :)

Ostinatto

Enjoy the ride, i really miss the sleep paralysis, the things you see, hear and feel, are unique.

Since nothing is real, why not enjoy that experience?

DavidDesu

Had this recently, I was lying on my side with my arm hanging over the bed. Tried to move my head and couldn't, tried moving my fingers and they could barely move, if at all. I thought my recently deceased dad was possibly in the room but I never saw anything to make me think that, just felt like he was. It took maybe 2 or 3 minutes before I could begin to move but I was very sluggish and then it soon wore off. First time I remembered this happening and it wasn't nice. Cannot imagine being fully paralysed like this as your way of life. It's horrible so I really feel for those who are.

Drinkel

I used to always fall asleep to random nature documentaries and sometimes I would wake up with sleep paralysis and hallucinating about the animals. So once I had tigers watching me from the ceiling, they where kind of like distorted 2d images projected onto it. Like the 2D parts in the new Mario Odyssey. And the other time it was large sea slugs slowly approaching my legs from the bedside which was absolutely terrifying.

EGM1966

That's common with sleep paralysis.

Creepy but essentially it's "all in your head".

Personally I found just relaxing and waiting when I had sleep paralysis reduced time for it to pass.

Just searched that on Google I'm sorry to hear that, is there anything you can do yo help you with that

Its no big deal and it only happens when i sleep on my back occasionally so i try not to do that. Normally id just feel a malevolent presence and be frightend until i woke myself out of it. Once i fell asleep with the remote on my chest and had sleep paralysis, instead of the remote it felt like a hand holding me down. Its kinda weird how when i was regaining consciousness how the hand i felt changed back into the remote.

zeioIIDX

I used to have sleep paralysis all the time as a teen. Always when I slept on my belly and once while on my back. I've also seen and felt a presence in the room. Terrifying as SHIT. I've also had lots of paranormal stuff happen to me (such as seeing the Hat Man in my bedroom after a night of ghost hunting in the cemetary) but that's for another thread.

blackseedboy

Neo Member
Buy a cat and make sure he spend nighttime with you at bed. Consider him as a housekeeper. If the cat reacts to the presence, it's time to change house.

Its no big deal and it only happens when i sleep on my back occasionally so i try not to do that. Normally id just feel a malevolent presence and be frightend until i woke myself out of it. Once i fell asleep with the remote on my chest and had sleep paralysis, instead of the remote it felt like a hand holding me down. Its kinda weird how when i was regaining consciousness how the hand i felt changed back into the remote.

Ouch that is indeed something very strange do we know why this happens so often?

I used to have sleep paralysis all the time as a teen. Always when I slept on my belly and once while on my back. I've also seen and felt a presence in the room. Terrifying as SHIT. I've also had lots of paranormal stuff happen to me (such as seeing the Hat Man in my bedroom after a night of ghost hunting in the cemetary) but that's for another thread.

It's awful simply awful, P.S check my previous posts and you will see what I will share in the future

Buy a cat and make sure he spend nighttime with you at bed. Consider him as a housekeeper. If the cat reacts to the presence, it's time to change house.

I have 5 dogs but they sleep on a bathroom downstairs

neoanarch

Jesus Fuck fuck that pic

Yeah same thing happened to me. Scary as fuck. The presence got on top of me. Yeah its just a hallucination but it doesn't matger cause the horror was all too real.

Do share the Hat Man story please.

Moonkid

Sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations don't bother me too intensely anymore but sometimes I'll get a nasty one. The worst was when I felt something slam my chest. A week later I realised it was almost the exact same feeling of when my friend's cat jumped onto me which struck me as odd because I wasn't bothered by it at all. The brain is weird.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I get a lot of that. At first it freaked me out too, then I just learned to live with it.
I still sometimes get the "Somebody is on my room" feeling, sometimes I even see a person (usually a friend of mine, or somebody I know from university, sometimes I can't see them tho). It's fun, even if it's always terrifying in the moment.

This looks so god damn goofy.

Sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations don't bother me too intensely anymore but sometimes I'll get a nasty one. The worst was when I felt something slam my chest. A week later I realised it was almost the exact same feeling of when my friend's cat jumped onto me which struck me as odd because I wasn't bothered by it at all. The brain is weird.

The bit that bothers me is the feeling that you're not going to be able to breathe and the sudden rush/falling feeling like turbulence on a plane. If I could have the rest without that I'd be fine, every time it happens even though I know it's just sleep paralysis I still worry that I'm going to stop breathing.

ramparter

Banned
Many people have experienced wgat I call the between. Dont worry OP those creaturs from other dimensions cannot hurt you will only scare you.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I can never tell if people in threads about SP are serious when they talk about creatures as if they actually exist.

Top Bottom