• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom buys a 3DS for her son, box is full of rocks

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
http://www.myfoxal.com/story/20437186/talladega-mom-buys-nintendo-gets-a-box-full-of-rocks

TALLADEGA COUNTY, AL (WBRC) -

Scam artists worked to ruin Christmas this year for one Talladega boy.

The boy's mom bought her son a Nintendo gaming system but when the boy opened the box there was no Nintendo. Instead the box was full of rocks wrapped in tissue paper.

The mom bought the Nintendo from a Wal-Mart in Talladega. She explained to the store what happened, and the store gave her a new Nintendo.

"Check your merchandise. Just check it before you leave the store, make sure it's in there and don't get home and be surprised, like if you found what I found," the mom said.

A similar scam is going on involving iPads. Instead of an iPad being inside the box, it's filled with notepads.

Wal-Mart tells us this is happening because people buy the merchandise and then return it to the store with the items missing. Employees are now checking the returned merchandise.

what's with 3DS and unhappy children these days?

TLJGL.jpg

Wal-Mart tells us this is happening because people buy the merchandise and then return it to the store with the items missing. Employees are now checking the returned merchandise.

You would think they would do that BEFORE they refund people's money...

LiK

wtf, they should be doing that already.

Why weren't they before?

Probably because hyper-sensitive customers would get OFFENDED if you checked their merchandise that they were returning to make sure they weren't scamming you. People get their feelings hurt if they're not trusted by someone who doesn't know them at all. You might lose customers that way.

LiK

Probably because hyper-sensitive customers would get OFFENDED if you checked their merchandise that they were returning to make sure they weren't scamming you. People get their feelings hurt if they're not trusted by someone who doesn't know them at all. You might lose customers that way.

that's silly. gotta check to make sure everything is returned. all the Best Buys, Targets and even Costcos would open it and take a look before accepting them. maybe some accessories are missing but gotta check if the main merch is in the box.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Another plus again to not buying used - they didn't even open the returned box to check if it was working, let alone see the condition it was in.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
You would think they would do that BEFORE they refund people's money...

They must have resealed it somehow and the employee didn't double check. They can't just open a new box to make sure everything is inside, because they intend to resell it.

That's how I picture it.

Senator Soufflé;45897162 said:
Do people actually call 3DS / Wiis, a Nintendo or is that just really rubbish article writing?

Yes, this actually happens. I've heard so many people refer to video game consoles in general as "Nintendo's," that it's not even funny any more.

I've also heard a bunch of people call them all "Atari's"...

Didn't this exact same situation happen with a returned console at Wal-mart several years back?

I wanna say it was a DS, but it may have been a 360 or ps3. My fuzzy memory is telling me it wasn't a Wii or PSP, though.

Top Bottom