• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshi title announced for Wii U! (Looks like Yoshi: Epic Yarn)

There were maybe 3 levels in the entirety of epic yarn in which it was mildly difficult to obtain the highest score for the jewels. If this Yoshi game is in the same vein then i cant see myself paying more than 15 bucks for it.

So many of the recent Nintendo offerings are now in the wait and see category for me. I havent seen anything that warrants the risk of a day 1 purchase.

Kirby's Epic Yarn look incredible and I found it to be a really enjoyable experience. Ridiculously easy, sure, but like someone already mentioned (sorry), there isn't anything wrong with a game that you can chill with. Not everything needs to be hardcore to the point of heart attacks.

The impact of the art style is slightly dulled by being a repeat though. But I'm sure it'll have some clever new tricks up its sleeve.

also

Banned
No, because Epic Yarn didn't have a lot of content. I mean, Splosion Man and SMB both had far more content than Epic Yarn or Dream Land. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't more of a focus on art style than gameplay content.

No need for everyone to jump all over my shit.
I guess there must be different versions of Epic Yarn and Dreamland because those games had a lot of content.

Kirby's Epic Yarn look incredible and I found it to be a really enjoyable experience. Ridiculously easy, sure, but like someone already mentioned (sorry), there isn't anything wrong with a game that you can chill with. Not everything needs to be hardcore to the point of heart attacks.

My thoughts exactly.

It would be choosing to go skiing on the bunny slope and then complaining it isn't a double black diamond.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It looks pretty. I don't think I'll have a Wii U any time, soon, but it looks nice. The sceenshots at the end reminded me of LBP, too. I wonder if it'll have layers, or if it's only going to use the middle one.

It looks great to me. But if it had looked any other way than like the original, people were going to complain, I guess. I think it looks very charming. The window screenshot makes me really curious what they're going for, though. I'm guessing that Epic Yarn style Yoshi is just going to be a de-powered Yoshi, ala small Mario.

whitehawk

Banned
I'm not excited. Kirby's Epic Yarn was a terrible game. I wish they would abandon that visual style + gameplay.

I want to see Yoshi's Island recreated for the Wii U with 2D visuals. Similar to Rayman Origins/Legends.

Nabs

I'm not excited. Kirby's Epic Yarn was a terrible game. I wish they would abandon that visual style + gameplay.

I want to see Yoshi's Island recreated for the Wii U with 2D visuals. Similar to Rayman Origins/Legends.

I was hoping Retro would get a crack at YI.

Sandfox

We don't know if the gameplay is going to be like the Kirby game and they have the director of Yoshi's Island supervising the game so their's hope in that regard if you want that style of game.

Fox Mulder

Epic yarn isn't a terrible game. Maybe easier than you want, or too cute of an art style, but it isn't terrible. I think it's the highest rated entry in the entire franchise.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Love that the Miiverse "hack"really did have sensitive information. Anything left that hasn't been revealed yet?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm not as huge a fan of the YI crayola art style as everyone else is, but I would have VASTLY preferred that to this rubbish.

Platy

I don't understand .... was the epic yarn looking video a beta ?

Is that the game ?

Those screenshots don't even look like the same game o_O

yoshisisland.jpg

jEU1lASiuSwGf.png

How can you use that screenshot to compare to Yoshi Island is making me ... sick !

TUEwpyB.jpg

THIS is yoshi island =P

Davey Cakes

This Nintendo Direct definitely proves one thing: YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE!

But at least the company has its heart in the right place, and is trying.

Kokonoe

Banned
This Nintendo Direct definitely proves one thing: YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE!

But at least the company has its heart in the right place, and is trying.

They haven't pleased me with any of the Nintendo Directs until today, and it completely did a 180 for me and now I believe. BELIEVE.

Ugh I really hate the blandeness of this, where's the little details and the coloring. Its like Nintendo only knows one shade of a color for everything now.

Amir0x

Banned
Looks nice, but I'll reserve my judgment for the final product because Epic Yarn was the most boring game ever in eternity to play. Baby's platformer is what I call it for how infantile its difficulty was.

Davey Cakes

Looks nice, but I'll reserve my judgment for the final product because Epic Yarn was the most boring game ever in eternity to play. Baby's platformer is what I call it for how infantile its difficulty was.
Yeah, but you're a hardcore "challenging platformer" kind of guy anyway, right?

Epic Yarn wasn't necessarily appealing to all fans of platformers. If you found it boring then the game probably wasn't for you. I consider "relaxing platformers" to be legitimate in the same way as "balls to the wall crazy hard platformers" like Super Meat Boy and I Wanna Be the Guy are.

And I beat Super Meat Boy in its entirety, plus the X360 DLC.

Going for 100% in Epic Yarn was an absolute pleasure. I would have been bored to tears if I was just rushing from level 1 to the end boss, but that wasn't my approach and the experience was better for it. People act like not being able to die in Epic Yarn made it too easy, but is that really different than losing a life in New Super Mario Bros (which barely has any consequence considering the abundance of 1-ups) or dying in Meat Boy where there's no consequence for dying other than starting a stage over again in a split second? In Kirby, if you fell into a pit or got hit by an enemy, there was a possibility that you'd lose too many gems to get a Gold Medal for the level, and if you're going for 100% that's just as treacherous as "dying." Think about it.

I don't think this new Yoshi game will be exactly along the lines of Kirby's Epic Yarn, but I will certainly be accepting of that sort of game.

Haunted

KEY, despite being piss easy to simply get through, was still a joy to play, especially if you went for full completion.

This looks brilliant and from the 3D shots, it looks like there's even more to it than "just" the flat 2D yarn portions.

Pharros

No idea I it's been mentioned yet, but perhaps each "world" had a different style to it. A yarn like world, the realism world, etc.

Overall I think this looks brilliant, would love it if there were even more art styles used throughout.

Boerseun

Banned
Kirby Epic Yarn is great fun. It would be great if they could repeat on that game's magical atmosphere. And co-op play is definitely a must.

Myriadis

Not surprising. Many gamers who saw Epic Yarn initially thought that it looked kinda like Yoshis Story. It seems that there are various artstyles scattered through the game, and it seems doing certain stuff may change the environment to the 3d style.

And I wouldn't worry that much about the difficulty. Kirby games are basically platformers for beginners. Yoshis Story was sometimes fairly challenging, and getting all melons in each level on a playthrough is really hard.

What has Retro Studios to do with this game? Did I miss something?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I don't mind the look at all, I just hope it's fun and that's all I ask!

Same here, I really hope it is nothing like Yoshi's Story or Kirby's Epic Yarn... Which was obivously made for little childrens... I Loved the Visuals of Kirby but the game was so easy and boring...

Top Bottom