• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denver/Colorado |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you want to do? Generally yes for everything unless you want to go skiing.

That's good. I'd like to experience a mix between exploring the downtown area as well as doing some hiking. Wasn't sure if hiking would be unbearable in the summertime.

Saganator

That's good. I'd like to experience a mix between exploring the downtown area as well as doing some hiking. Wasn't sure if hiking would be unbearable in the summertime.

There is usually a week or two in the summer where we hit the high 90's to 100's, but it's pretty rare. Most of the time in the summer we're in the 80's and it's always a little bit cooler in the mountains. If you aren't used to dry heat, you might be a little uncomfortable. One of the biggest draws of Colorado is the fantastic weather. It's rarely unbearably hot in Colorado. If you go hiking, just make sure you get out there nice and early, there are usually afternoon thunderstorms and it's very dangerous to be out in the middle of one on the peak of a mountain.

There is usually a week or two in the summer where we hit the high 90's to 100's, but it's pretty rare. Most of the time in the summer we're in the 80's and it's always a little bit cooler in the mountains. If you aren't used to dry heat, you might be a little uncomfortable. One of the biggest draws of Colorado is the fantastic weather. It's rarely unbearably hot in Colorado. If you go hiking, just make sure you get out there nice and early, there are usually afternoon thunderstorms and it's very dangerous to be out in the middle of one on the peak of a mountain.

Thanks. My last experience with dry heat was Vegas in July, and that was around 105 degrees on average.

Armadilo

Banned
So it shouldn't be that hard to find a room to rent for $400 or less right, in Aurora/Dever area ?

The school is in Aurora, would be cool to find a studio

So it shouldn't be that hard to find a room to rent for $400 or less right, in Aurora/Dever area ?

The school is in Aurora, would be cool to find a studio

Studios run at like 700+ the last time i checked 3 yeara ago. You should look at online tools and search in aurora.

Yesterday, I renewed my lease at my apartment in DTC. I was afraid it would end up being a $100-$200 increase with the way rent and housing prices have been skyrocketing. Instead, it was only a $7 increase for 15 months.

Laekon

Found 1 not so great thing about Denver, some job salaries can be low. I finish my BSN(RN) degree this year and was thinking of moving to an area like Golden. Starting pay seems to be under $50k a year though. In So Cal it's over $70k and Oregon is about $60k. So even though cost of living is less it's not by $20k. Really disappointed by this.

Mobius1

Reporting in from Lafayette/Louisville. Grew up in Golden before it became a cool spot full of day-trippers. Moved back to the state a couple years ago. Still thankful for the front-range views, good beer and generally laid-back people.

I agree with whoever asked about a Denver GAF meetup, lets make it happen!

mike6467

Yesterday, I renewed my lease at my apartment in DTC. I was afraid it would end up being a $100-$200 increase with the way rent and housing prices have been skyrocketing. Instead, it was only a $7 increase for 15 months.

There's a bunch of buildings opening up around the DTC. They're new, I'm sure they have more modern amenities and are doing what they can to impress. I'm assuming until those fill up, existing places are going to do what they can to keep people.

My old place right off Hampden (I had the apartment directly above the Cold Stone!) went from roughly $1500 to $2200 over three 13 month renewals (I got out of there and into a house when I saw the third one though). Hopefully these new complexes will relieve some of the pressure.

GhostBed

Moving to Longmont,CO in just a few weeks. Couldn't be more excited, particularly for the amazing music scene in Denver. Sooo many many many shows to attend.

Colorado Springs here. I like it here well enough, but stop moving here. It's getting too damn expensive to buy a house.
No.

I'm in Denver right this second driving around with a realtor. I've only got a hotel through Wednesday morning and I'm supposed to drive back but I'd like to potentially even buy in the next week since things are going so fast. Fortunately I have cash (not too much so I'm looking at mostly condos) so I can close really quickly but I don't think I can do it before the girlfriend needs to leave. I'd like to stay longer and close as quickly as possible but I couldn't really afford much more time at the hotel I'm at. Does anyone have any recommendations on a place I can stay that's super affordable? I'd really like to move here. The weed's been great for my PTSD (if anyone was wondering why I'm such an asshole) so that's another factor that makes me want to stay so much. Also DBC. 😝 So any thoughts to my conundrum? Sorry for the long post.

TLDR Need a cheap place to stay until I can close on a home/condo.

Shit, anyone want to send me some listings? 😂

We may end up looking in Colorado Springs since it's a little more affordable but I'm liking the Denver area so I'm still leaning there.

Put in an offer on a condo on the border of Denver (about 20 minutes from everything) and it was accepted. Hoorah. Closing's Tuesday.

Hi ColoradoGAF, visiting tomorrow for a few days. I think my coworker told me we're staying at a town called Blackhawk?

So what's fun out there? Looking for ideas. Flying out tomorrow at 730 pm.

I've been living in Windsor, CO (near Loveland/Ft. Collins) for the past year or so. Just closed on a nice 3-story townhouse/condo in the Cherry Creek area of Denver, so I'll be moving that way within the next couple of months.

Up until a couple years ago, I spent most of my life in Wyoming so I'm relatively familiar with the Denver area, but not "long-time resident" familiar. I'd like to get more familiar with what's available to me, particularly within close proximity of my home. I also wouldn't mind meeting some people/making friends. My withered, atrophied social skills are in dire need of a significant workout.

We really need a list of restaurants in this thread. I feel like people who are planning to move or visit have been missing out on some gems.

Have a trip to Denver planned for March 25th-28th and the one thing I can't nail down is what the weather will be like. Wife has a friend who lives in CO and he said it would be cold/snowing but then we see a picture of him and his kid playing outside in shorts.

Anyone know what we can expect?

Also, any ideas for things to do? We are already planning a visit to red rock and maybe the Denver zoo

Have a trip to Denver planned for March 25th-28th and the one thing I can't nail down is what the weather will be like. Wife has a friend who lives in CO and he said it would be cold/snowing but then we see a picture of him and his kid playing outside in shorts.

Also, any ideas for things to do? We are already planning a visit to red rock and maybe the Denver zoo

March is usually when we get the most snow. We'll have a day where its 40 and cold and then 71 the next day that is partly cloudy. So im guessing he is playing in shorts because we are used to weather at 60~ degrees with the sun out. It feels nice, especially when there is no wind.

Aquarium
Butterfly Pavilion
Brewery (find one that you may be interested in, seems to be plenty here in CO)
Eldorado Springs (unless its flooded)
Mother Cabrini Shrine (if you are religious)

idk, if you really want to see what things you can do, just check this out i suppose - http://www.denver.com/attractions

thespot84

We really need a list of restaurants in this thread. I feel like people who are planning to move or visit have been missing out on some gems.

Westword.com is pretty consistent with best-ofs and reviews.

Uncle is the best place for ramen.

The spicy chicken ramen is amazing

Everything seems to be late this year. It's warm now and doesn't look like it wants to change. Pack a coat but don't expect much snow. https://www.weather5280.com/blog/2017/03/05/the-state-of-the-atmosphere-sunday-march-5-2017/

Also that weather site is awesome if you live here.

Armadilo

Banned
Can someone give me some advice on moving to Denver from another state. How much money should I have by the time that I leave California to Aurora/Denver ?

My Denver Favs:
Osaka
Beast and Bottle
Lena
Karma Asian
Pho Duy
Adelitas
Palenque Mezcaleria
Lao Wang Noodle House

im sure im missing a bunch

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
My Denver Favs:
Osaka
Beast and Bottle
Lena
Karma Asian
Pho Duy
Adelitas
Palenque Mezcaleria
Lao Wang Noodle House

im sure im missing a bunch

If you like beer I really like Euclid Hall. Poutine, blood sausage, bone marrow, lots of good stuff. Good beer selection too.

If you like beer I really like Euclid Hall. Poutine, blood sausage, bone marrow, lots of good stuff. Good beer selection too.

Yeah for beer I usually hit up a local brewery.

Chain Reaction + Little Machine are in my hood and are decent.

My favs are probably:
Trve
Black Project
Renegade

And Cannonball in Golden.

Westword.com is pretty consistent with best-ofs and reviews.

The spicy chicken ramen is amazing

Everything seems to be late this year. It's warm now and doesn't look like it wants to change. Pack a coat but don't expect much snow. https://www.weather5280.com/blog/2017/03/05/the-state-of-the-atmosphere-sunday-march-5-2017/

Also that weather site is awesome if you live here.

kimchi ramen for me!

Also if you guys haven't been to Funny Plus in Aurora, you are missing out. Korean Fried Chicken! I don't know of any other place that serves it.

I convinced my job to let me take my work home and my wife and I just moved into a place in Arvada. My dad is actually from nearby Lakewood and its kind of cool to see some of the places he talked about hanging around when he was younger. Anyway, hi!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Few that I like...

Sushi:
Sushi Den (south of Downtown Denver)
Sushi Zanmai (Boulder)

Mexican:
Senior Ric's (Western Aurora)

Somnid

How's Denver as of right now ? Weather ? Thoughts as of right now/anything interesting happening around this time ?

Recently, it usually starts out in the 30s and warms up to the mid 70s by the afternoon. Mostly sunny. Bring a light jacket and expect that you'll be carrying it.

Armadilo

Banned
I'm still in California and my plan is still to Move by the summer of next year. I'm just trying to look up and pay attention to what's going on

thespot84

I'm still in California and my plan is still to Move by the summer of next year. I'm just trying to look up and pay attention to what's going on

compared to most of cali we have very seasonal weather. Spring will typically bring temps like were mentioned, 30s-40s at night and 70s in the day, but we also experience our largest snowstorms in april/may, usually one big one. Then it melts and we're off to summer.

Summer is 80s-90s, sometimes breaking into the 100s but just for a week or so. We usually get monsoon rains that come hard for 15 minutes in the afternoon around august.

I say all this even though this hasn't been the case recently, I'm guessing mostly because of the el nino la nina cycle with a little climate change added in.

Around town there are music, food and other festivals almost every weekend from april through september/october. Our music scene is pretty good (we get bigger acts than one might expect given our size) and there are too many new restaurants opening all the time to keep track of them.

Of course there's tons of outdoors shit to do as well starting now, camping, hiking, etc etc etc.

Armadilo

Banned
compared to most of cali we have very seasonal weather. Spring will typically bring temps like were mentioned, 30s-40s at night and 70s in the day, but we also experience our largest snowstorms in april/may, usually one big one. Then it melts and we're off to summer.

Summer is 80s-90s, sometimes breaking into the 100s but just for a week or so. We usually get monsoon rains that come hard for 15 minutes in the afternoon around august.

I say all this even though this hasn't been the case recently, I'm guessing mostly because of the el nino la nina cycle with a little climate change added in.

Around town there are music, food and other festivals almost every weekend from april through september/october. Our music scene is pretty good (we get bigger acts than one might expect given our size) and there are too many new restaurants opening all the time to keep track of them.

Of course there's tons of outdoors shit to do as well starting now, camping, hiking, etc etc etc.

What do you do for fun in Denver ?

HiiiLife

In addition to what thespot84 said...breweries breweries and breweries. That and having all the professional sports is a plus. Couldn't give a damn about the Rockies or Avalanche but tickets are on the cheap usually and its always a good experience with friends. Good variety of restaurants.

And dispensaries. If that's your thing

Aside from having one of the best views (Rockies) concerts at Red Rocks are hands down the best shows I've been to

Bsigg12

is film on the rocks big in Denver? Do you guys go

It's a good time with friends. Might make it out for Star Wars Rogue One in May mostly for the cosplay that is bound to happen.

Twister in September should be fun as well.

The real show at Red Rocks for me this year will be the Gorillaz in September.

Here's the hot ticket for Saturday:

18056643_1248123878619457_1159490503914104752_n.jpg

One of the things I love about the Mutiny Cafe is the big FU's they keep giving to local festivals that won't let them be a venue because they don't server liquor and can't get sponsorship. They keep holding thier own festivals at the same time on the same day and get tons of people.

Cartoons and Comedy is a great monthly show in town and they are holding it Saturday and that's great to check out. Also there is going to be a pinball tournament at Mutiny at 8pm that night (it's not on the poster)

I'm going to be in and out of the shows all day and I'll be there for the pinball without question. If you see a guy in a Punisher T-shirt, say hi!

thespot84

Here's the hot ticket for Saturday:

18056643_1248123878619457_1159490503914104752_n.jpg

One of the things I love about the Mutiny Cafe is the big FU's they keep giving to local festivals that won't let them be a venue because they don't server liquor and can't get sponsorship. They keep holding thier own festivals at the same time on the same day and get tons of people.

Cartoons and Comedy is a great monthly show in town and they are holding it Saturday and that's great to check out. Also there is going to be a pinball tournament at Mutiny at 8pm that night (it's not on the poster)

I'm going to be in and out of the shows all day and I'll be there for the pinball without question. If you see a guy in a Punisher T-shirt, say hi!

That's awesome. Surprised twist and shout isn't doing any live music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom