• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denver/Colorado |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
is film on the rocks big in Denver? Do you guys go

I do! It's been a bit though. Last one I went to was Big Lebowski. It was hilarious at how many smoke clouds appeared as soon as the lights went down.

I'd be up for Rogue One or Fifth Element if people want to meet up :)

What are good neighborhoods to move to for university or is there any decent specified student housing for a semester in Denver? Had a bad year and just need a change of scenery before summer and god if I don't miss the snow.
Currently pay 980 a month for my place in downtown Austin and don't need much space. I'd say 1100 is a pretty hard limit if I want to eat while I look for a job tho lol. Or what's the safest site to find roommates?

Couleurs

That won't be enough for anything in Denver unless you get crazy lucky (I believe the Denver average is around 1300-1400), but 1100 is around the average for most of the surrounding area, so you should be able to find something a little below that in Lakewood/Aurora/Englewood.

thespot84

Which university? 1100 might get you a studio close to either the university neighborhood (DU) or UCD (downtown-ish). Otherwise yeah, go near transit in englewood/aurora etc to size up.

Which university? 1100 might get you a studio close to either the university neighborhood (DU) or UCD (downtown-ish). Otherwise yeah, go near transit in englewood/aurora etc to size up.
UCD although I'll probably not transfer until the Spring and finish a few classes at community college while I get established. Could transfer straight in, but would be expensive coming in out of state. I'm coming in early next week, is there a specific neighborhood near UCD to look at or do you just mean the surrounding area?

thespot84

UCD although I'll probably not transfer until the Spring and finish a few classes at community college while I get established. Could transfer straight in, but would be expensive coming in out of state. I'm coming in early next week, is there a specific neighborhood near UCD to look at or do you just mean the surrounding area?

It can go from the most expensive (LoDo, just north) to not so expensive (mariposa/lincoln park, just south). Denver generally has great bus service and the light rail stops on campus so that's an option too.

Great, thanks! Could anyone describe what the general culture is like in comparison to Austin, imagine most people aren't students but still. And the summers are no where near as consistently hot?

You could move out to Greeley, and live in a trailer.

It's like $680 a month.

Actually, don't do that. Northern colorado sucks.

Great, thanks! Could anyone describe what the general culture is like in comparison to Austin, imagine most people aren't students but still. And the summers are no where near as consistently hot?

...I've lived here for 13 years and I'm not sure I know how to answer that.

It's always seemed pretty chill to me but we have big city Crime like all the others.

It's got big city grind but it's pretty laid back. We legalized it so that's a big part of the scene now.

Lots of art, music, food; Always stuff going on. Lots of little shops, places to eat and venues.

Traffic's a bitch but I love this city.

It does feel very segmented in terms of the city area.

People just learning to drink are mostly in LoDo

People who are into the art and music more than the drink hang in Rino

People who like rough dive bars are up on Colfax

South Broadway is for people who can't believe more people haven't figured out how cool south broadway is.

thespot84

...I've lived here for 13 years and I'm not sure I know how to answer that.

It's always seemed pretty chill to me but we have big city Crime like all the others.

It's got big city grind but it's pretty laid back. We legalized it so that's a big part of the scene now.

Lots of art, music, food; Always stuff going on. Lots of little shops, places to eat and venues.

Traffic's a bitch but I love this city.

It does feel very segmented in terms of the city area.

People just learning to drink are mostly in LoDo

People who are into the art and music more than the drink hang in Rino

People who like rough dive bars are up on Colfax

South Broadway is for people who can't believe more people haven't figured out how cool south broadway is.

'South' Broadway or South Broadway? :p

Moved here over a month ago from Austin. I'm working from home so I haven't been around to network like I would if I were joining the local workforce. Below are my thoughts so far.

The culture is more big city than Austin. The metro area is made up of several smaller communities or towns that have their own distinct feel. Denver reminds me of early 90s Houston when I was growing up there (it's a good thing, trust me, early 90s Houston was awesome). The odd thing is that the city feels big, but compared to cities like Houston or L.A., it's not. You can go from one end of the city to the other in about an hour using the surface streets mid-day.

Culturally, Denver as a whole doesn't seem to constantly pat itself on the back over how awesome or how weird it is. Big enough that you can escape the hipsters and avoid their gentrified regions without much effort. Lots of Texans transplants here; maybe more than Californians. I'm not sure why though. I can't complain, I'm one of them after all. I kid myself by thinking that I'm just returning family (my father an his entire side of the family is from here, most still residing here), but that's not true. I'm just another car on the road from out of town. *shrug

Traffic... sure it's a big city and it's experiencing a large influx of people (like Austin), so there is traffic. However, after living in Austin for 11 years and experiencing the unspoken level of hell that is the roadway infrastructure there? Nah, this city handles traffic just fine. I turn on my blinker and 9 times out of 10 the nice person in the lane over lets me merge. In Austin they pace you, running you into a wall if it comes to it. You will be pleasantly surprised by the flow of traffic here, even during rush hour.

Weather is all over the place so far; snow storms, then t-shirt weather the next day. Temps are considerably cooler here. The a/c has only kicked on once or twice in my apartment. I usually carry a fleece around town, though I'm sure I'll get used to the breeze eventually. Altitude is a thing too. I wake up a night sometimes short of breath. It affects my workout and my last physical showed elevated blood pressure. Nothing alarming, but something to consider.

Then there's the scenery. Amazing, just amazing. The Rockies are with me to the west everywhere I go. I turn the corner on to Wadsworth and I can see Pike's Peak on a clear day. RMNP is an hour and a half away from my apartment. This is why I moved here and the reason I will give my father shit for the rest of his days for not moving back here so I could have experienced this growing up.

Aizo

Banned
I searched for a thread like this years ago. Very cool to see that it exists now.
Let's talk food.

Best Japanese: Sushi Sasa (Denver), Zanmai Sushi (Boulder)
Best burger: Illegal Burger (Bergen Park/Evergreen), Mt. Vernon Country Club (Lookout Mountain)
Best pizza: Buenos Aires Pizzaria (Denver, was closed down last time I was in town, but I heard it's re-opening?), Woody's Pizza (Golden)
Best burrito: Bonfire Burritos (Golden), Cafe Mexicali (Boulder)
Best doughnut: Voodoo Doughnut (Denver)
Best Indian/Nepalese: Cuisine of the Himalayas (Evergreen)
Best Thai: Star Thai (Lakewood), Beau Thai (Evergreen)

Is there a recommended hostel to stay at for a few days while I find and sign for a place? Coming out tomorrow and I'm really excited!z

Hope I can get into a building that has the recent google fiber extension, gigabit internet is something I don't want to lose.

Couleurs

Century Link has gigabit in a few neighborhoods, so if you move into an area that has it available then it's probably the way to go.

However CenturyLink has absolutely terrible customer service (worse than Comcast), so if you aren't in a Gigabit neighborhood then go with Comcast since CenturyLink's non-gigabit areas are laughably slow while Comcast is decent. Like I got a CenturyLink flyer recently advertising 12mb, while I get 100+ from Comcast.

thespot84

Century Link has gigabit in a few neighborhoods, so if you move into an area that has it available then it's probably the way to go.

However CenturyLink has absolutely terrible customer service (worse than Comcast), so if you aren't in a Gigabit neighborhood then go with Comcast since CenturyLink's non-gigabit areas are laughably slow while Comcast is decent. Like I got a CenturyLink flyer recently advertising 12mb, while I get 100+ from Comcast.

Comcast has been the best of the worst for me usually, I go in to a 2 year contract (which you can get out of pretty easily/quickly since the early termination fees go down over time). I pay 50/mo for 250Mb/s. Comcast still sucks but the line works.

Comcast here as well. The lines into my apartment top out at 100Mb/s, so I signed a one year contract at $50/mo. Customer service has been average. Speeds are consistent enough for working from home and online gaming.

Beats the hell service I had with AT&T back in Austin.

Saganator

About to buy a place in the Ken Caryl area, closing on the 20th of June! Just waiting on the appraisal and hoping that goes well.

Can any GAFers in the Ken Caryl area comment on the internet, specifically Comcast? In the past I've always lucked out living in areas where there are a bunch of old people and probably not as many heavy users, so my speeds were always good even in peak hours. Ken Caryl is another story, lots of young families with kids who probably stream all day and night. There are 50/100/200 packages available, but will I actually get advertised speeds during peak hours? I don't want to pay for 100Mbits when I can only get 35 out of it when I need it. How's the DSL?

thespot84

About to buy a place in the Ken Caryl area, closing on the 20th of June! Just waiting on the appraisal and hoping that goes well.

Can any GAFers in the Ken Caryl area comment on the internet, specifically Comcast? In the past I've always lucked out living in areas where there are a bunch of old people and probably not as many heavy users, so my speeds were always good even in peak hours. Ken Caryl is another story, lots of young families with kids who probably stream all day and night. There are 50/100/200 packages available, but will I actually get advertised speeds during peak hours? I don't want to pay for 100Mbits when I can only get 35 out of it when I need it. How's the DSL?

the only time in the last 15 years I've ever struggled with traffic on my local cable trunk was in a 300 unit apartment building.

Necrovex

Hey y'all,

I was offered a tentative position working in Fort Collins in a month's time (as long as I don't get boned by a small possibility) Are there any tips one can give for a soon-to-be Florida transplant?

thespot84

Hey y'all,

I was offered a tentative position working in Fort Collins in a month's time (as long as I don't get boned by a small possibility) Are there any tips one can give for a soon-to-be Florida transplant?

pretty sure that's the most livable city in america or something. Coming from florida you might not be able to handle so much livability :p

Fort Collins, FoCo, or Fort Fun (depending on your age) is a great town.

For tips: Drink a lot of beer, be super outdoorsey (the poudre river is in FoCo, it's awesome), you'll fit right in.

Necrovex

pretty sure that's the most livable city in america or something. Coming from florida you might not be able to handle so much livability :p

Fort Collins, FoCo, or Fort Fun (depending on your age) is a great town.

For tips: Drink a lot of beer, be super outdoorsey (the poudre river is in FoCo, it's awesome), you'll fit right in.

My body is ready to be among the young drinking craft beers at the river.

My body may not be ready for that several thousand miles road trip from Florida to Colorado.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I drove from Massachusetts to Colorado last year. Its such a beautiful state. My car actually broke down in Silverthorne and, being a city slicker, I had no idea it takes up to a week for your car to even be looked at in remote towns like that. Apparently breakdowns are so common that these mechanics are flushed. Fortunately a grizzled mobile mechanic who works out of his truck was able to help me. I just had to stay one night. The next day I was able to drive through the rockies and down rt 550. Stunning views.

thespot84

I drove from Massachusetts to Colorado last year. Its such a beautiful state. My car actually broke down in Silverthorne and, being a city slicker, I had no idea it takes up to a week for your car to even be looked at in remote towns like that. Apparently breakdowns are so common that these mechanics are flushed. Fortunately a grizzled mobile mechanic who works out of his truck was able to help me. I just had to stay one night. The next day I was able to drive through the rockies and down rt 550. Stunning views.

People ride their breaks down the hill into silverthorne and clog up all the mechanics in the area when their car starts wobbling and they don't know why.

My body is ready to be among the young drinking craft beers at the river.

My body may not be ready for that several thousand miles road trip from Florida to Colorado.

Stop in nashville for hot chicken, then in KC for bbq (st louis is too close). You'll be here in no time.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
People ride their breaks down the hill into silverthorne and clog up all the mechanics in the area when their car starts wobbling and they don't know why.

That doesnt surprise me. Ive had experiences with downhill braking but that was insane. In my case a spark plug fouled up and my car couldnt go up any moderate incline lmao

Necrovex

Stop in nashville for hot chicken, then in KC for bbq (st louis is too close). You'll be here in no time.

Not too shabby of a plan. Anyway, I do have another question. I plan to upgrade my car shortly after I move over here. I know little about what's needed for a car when it comes to mountains and winters (Florida is not a good state to teach one these pieces of knowledge). What would be a good, affordable hybrid that would be suitable for the weather in Fort Collins?

thespot84

Not too shabby of a plan. Anyway, I do have another question. I plan to upgrade my car shortly after I move over here. I know little about what's needed for a car when it comes to mountains and winters (Florida is not a good state to teach one these pieces of knowledge). What would be a good, affordable hybrid that would be suitable for the weather in Fort Collins?

The short answer is nothing with rear wheel drive. You don't need all wheel drive, but it's super nice to have. Do they make hybrids with AWD?

Anything with FWD and good tires will be fine, you can go the extra mile too and grab snow tires, you just have to have somewhere to store them. Fort Collins is not in the mountains, it sees it's fair share of snow but like everywhere here it melts the next day usually. The sticky driving is when you go into the mountains when it's snowing so it's not all that often.

Necrovex

The short answer is nothing with rear wheel drive. You don't need all wheel drive, but it's super nice to have. Do they make hybrids with AWD?

Anything with FWD and good tires will be fine, you can go the extra mile too and grab snow tires, you just have to have somewhere to store them. Fort Collins is not in the mountains, it sees it's fair share of snow but like everywhere here it melts the next day usually. The sticky driving is when you go into the mountains when it's snowing so it's not all that often.

I did some slight research, and I stumbled upon the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid. Seems like a good jack of all trade blend including AWD.

I went to Silverthorne and Denver for spring break and did a lot of snowboarding. Definetly would do again next winter

I'm excited to visit those places and reignite my glee for skiing!

Friends of mine moved out to Colorado Springs a few months ago. They've had trouble buying a home (I think they're looking in the ~$200,000 range, maybe $300,000 upper end). They said that every house they've made an offer on has been outbid with the final sale price hitting between $7,000 and $20,000 over the list price.

Is that seriously accurate? Seems like a booming housing market if so. I'm from the Midwest, so it's hard to imagine that kind of thing happening around here.

Generally speaking, FWD with snow tires is better than AWD with all weather. You can get away without snow tires but it really depends on your commute and your needs.

Friends of mine moved out to Colorado Springs a few months ago. They've had trouble buying a home (I think they're looking in the ~$200,000 range, maybe $300,000 upper end). They said that every house they've made an offer on has been outbid with the final sale price hitting between $7,000 and $20,000 over the list price.

Is that seriously accurate? Seems like a booming housing market if so. I'm from the Midwest, so it's hard to imagine that kind of thing happening around here.

Yep, we put in 6 offers in denver all 20ish k over until we got one. Also had to waive the inspection and appraisal (meaning we couldnt hit the owners on inspection issues and we would cover appraisal difference if it came in low).

aliengmr

Ohh, that's accurate, been that way for a number of years. If we wanted to we could sell our house in a heartbeat and make a killing.

Yup. Buying a house here is a huge pain in the ass right now. There are a number of factors as to why, but expect to see prices continuing to rise as the population booms here.

That's why next year I'm looking as far outside of Denver yet within decent distance to our jobs as possible. I think right now we're keeping an eye on homes in Parker, Littleton, and Centennial as it's going to be impossible to stay in the DTC area for anything decent under $450k.

I wanted to move to downtown Littleton, but ended up getting a home in Lakewood near Green Mountain. I love how quiet everything is but I am still close enough to take the light rail or drive to downtown Denver if need be.

Also the food is the best. I prefer living here as opposed to Park Meadows, which is where I moved from.

I did some slight research, and I stumbled upon the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid. Seems like a good jack of all trade blend including AWD.
Great cars. The Crosstrek is basically a an Impreza wagon with the ground clearance of a Forester. It's a very popular car in CO. They are a bit low on power but I haven't had any issues in the mountains.

I love Denver. I usually go to Denver a few times a year for work. I live in Salt Lake City so it's not too far. I'll be back at the end of the month for Comic Con and I can't wait.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
What a timely bump for this thread! I'm moving to the Denver area this fall/winter. I've already done a lot of research, and it seems like if I want to

A) drink a lot of good beer

&

B) be near to some live sports and music venues

I could do worse than living in LoDo or maybe Rino, does that sound about right? I can go pretty up there on rent, like $3k/month for an apartment if I find one I like, so hopefully I can find something around that area.

Ideally, I'd be in walking or short ride on public transit to places that played lots of metal bands, and anything related to professional sports.

Natives, let me know if I'm looking in the right direction. Thanks!

This weekend!

18893227_10155381412348103_4083077673057367245_n.jpg

10345 Park Meadows Dr

https://www.facebook.com/PinballShowdown/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

This is probably the biggest year for it, because now, Hyperspace Arcade joined up. Normally it's 80% pinball machines.

I don't recommend the 3 day pass unless you are REALLY hardcore but a day pass to check everything out is great. Saturday will be crammed.

I'll be playing in the Pinball and arcade tournaments and helping take score.
Thank Christ I'm not on the hook to move machines this year. Nearly killed me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom