• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

plainr_

That doesn't make any sense.

In a way it could tie into Gaikai. Instant sharing sorta like brag clips on OnLive.

Also this got me thinking, with sharing possible, could they theoretically use the built in video capturing for spectator mode? Imagine being able to log into any computer to watch your friends play live on their PS4's. This would make capture cards redundant in the future for live streaming.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I'm not mistaken, MS has this too, doesn't it? I'm curious as to the extent.

Honestly, all of this can be done with scroll buttons and extra face buttons, and probably be cheaper too. It's also awkward to have to use the pad for something like grenades for obvious reasons, but swiping for UI reasons could be cool in-game. And it acts like giant buttons, we have at least four extra buttons, which IMO is fantastic. I'm guessing the big draw is OS stuff, but I would have to see how big of a thing that is, I'm most worried about placement.

If the touch screen can work through paper (eg like lumia 920), games could come with little templates for extra commands that you put on the controller.

If the touch screen can work through paper (eg like lumia 920), games could come with little templates for extra commands that you put on the controller.

Cue to ominous Jaguar controller pic...

But yeah, I'd think most touch pads work through paper.

xJavonta

Banned
I read that more as "it's not wiiU or vita sized controller" then "it's the exact same controller".
I thought it was saying it was literally the same size as the DS3, which is way too tiny for me. Also, the analog placement on the DS controllers is awful IMO and needs a change.

Re-read my post. It probably wont have a touch screen, but the dimensions are what I expect from the next PS controller.

well in that case it would be quite excessive. no need for it to be that huge. And it won't, it would be compared to the WiiU tablet and the public would see it as an inferior version due to NOT having a screen :p

Damn guys&gals, this is going to be a LONG 17 days...

JoshHood

In a way it could tie into Gaikai. Instant sharing sorta like brag clips on OnLive.

Also this got me thinking, with sharing possible, could they theoretically use the built in video capturing for spectator mode? Imagine being able to log into any computer to watch your friends play live on their PS4's. This would make capture cards redundant in the future for live streaming.
The thing I really loved about OnLive was the gallery, just a wall of everyone online playing games that you could dip in and out of spectating anytime. Wouldn't work here - it was kinda unique based on the fact all the games were streaming anyway to their respective players - but I'd love to see something like that in the future.

Haunted

Do we need cursor keys on a keyboard?
You can put all kinds of shit on a keyboard, no one really cares about button placement there. I've got like 20 media buttons on here I've never even used.

Space on a controller is much more limited.

ekim

You've seen that?
http://kotaku.com/5981354/the-magic-of-photoshop-brings-the-ps4-controller-to-life

The PlayStation 4 is coming. There's an event later this month which will apparently unveil the new game machine. Last month, Kotaku published loads of details about the PlayStation 4, including its controller.

Members of game forum NeoGAF (Noisepurge, Kairu, Mista Koo, and Sickboy007) churned out digital mock-ups of what the PlayStation 4 controller could look like. Ah, the power of Photoshop.

But I thought that the touch panel was going to be in the back, like in the PSVita

That was probably just some confusion. A source may have said the controller would have a touch surface like the back of the Vita, not meaning to imply it would be on the back, only that there would be no screen. People then interpreted it as being on the back.

Baki

• Keyboard input. Sony has a technology were a touchpad can detect your finger hovering above it, and you'd have a keyboard on the screen which you'd use you located your finger and input the correct keys.

• Extra buttons, you could easily fit 8 extra buttons on a decent sized touchpad, you wouldn't actually see them on the controller but you'd know where to touch the pad to activate them.

• A 3th or 4th stick input. Just slide your finger around the pad and it acts like a stick or laptop mouse cursor. Would be great for map control, just imagine pinch to zoom, rotate, etc.

Fifa. Honestly, the touchpad is a godsend on vita for fifa.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think it's time for the Select button to say goodbye.

ps4ofjoyv3u5d.png

How the fuck will I taunt then?

Lizardus

Two things:

• What does a touchpad offer that cant be replicated by a touchscreen?
  • Whats the consensus on Move, and to a lesser extent, DS3 being compatible with PS4? I love how the Wiimote is compatible with the WiiU.

Two things:

• Whats the consensus on Move, and to a lesser extent, DS3 being compatible with PS4? I love how the Wiimote is compatible with the WiiU.

A touchpad saves batteries. And if you use something like Oculus Rift you will have no need to look at it to interact with the game world ( for example: yous hands move while you move your finger in the touchpad ).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Two things:

Keeps the focus on one screen.

If it's clickable, affords unambiguous communication of intent with one finger (e.g. think of the problem of aiming and firing with a touchscreen vs a clickable touchpad). This opens up different uses...anything based around more mouse-like/'cursor' control potentially.

Two things:

You can keep your eyes on the TV and not look down to the controller. That is the main benefit of the touchpad. I think it would be lightly bigger than the mucks and that it will be of 16:9 size to simulate the size of the screen.

We know that the PS4 will have bluetooth, so its possible to use DS3 and Move. I doubt Sony wouldn't allow that.

hah, almost famous :D

well the Kotaku article states:
"the fact that the PS4 development kit supports both the Sixaxis and the DualShock 3."

So i'd say we have a good chance of using DualShock 3's as secondary controllers with the PS4.

As for Move, i hope so but i also think we will get a new camera and a new controller for that.

Hydrargyrus

That was probably just some confusion. A source may have said the controller would have a touch surface like the back of the Vita, not meaning to imply it would be on the back, only that there would be no screen. People then interpreted it as being on the back.

I still think that a rear touchpad is more useful than a front touchpad...

the d-pad of the most mockups is to big for my taste. i prefer the d-pad of the 360 pad way more for fighting games than the dualshocks. the size of the vita d-pad would be almost perfect.

i prefer the d-pad of the 360 pad way more for fighting games than the dualshocks.
That's probably the first time I've heard that opinion. Controller preferences are always a very personal thing, but if there's been one thing that everyone seemed to agree on this gen it's that the 360 d-pad is no good.

I don't really play a lot of fighting games so I wouldn't say the d-pad quality is the highest priority for me, but hopefully it's good enough that you don't notice it. I haven't used a Vita but people all seem to agree that it has a good d-pad, so I'll assume that the PS4 controller should be OK on that front.

Johnny

Here's what I'm predicting from a design and usability standpoint, someone let me know if any of this has been mentioned or not.

The Share button will be an afterthought, something small and innocuous, sandwiched down between the analog sticks or up top near the USB port. It's a cool socializing feature that'll ultimately promote the PlayStation brand, so it's in Sony's best interest to make it as easy to access as possible.

The touchpad is what I'm most excited about and I'm not absolutely convinced that it will force the removal of the Start, Select and PS buttons, just move them. Removing the PS button would force you to add a power button, unless the Share button serves that purpose now. You would also need a button in order to access the UI, unless again, the Share button serves that purpose now. At that point you're just calling the PS button the Share button, which would confuse people more than simply giving you access to sharing features through pressing the PS button. Now the Start and Select buttons can be more easily thrown out since Select was never very useful and you can pause a game using the PS button. You would still need them in order to retain backwards compatibility, so one idea would be to make the touchpad semi-transparent and have backlit symbols appear when in BC mode, guiding users. Aside from all that the touchpad will be useful when navigating menus and the web (though an actual WiiU-like gamepad would be superior). FPS games and the like could make good use of it as well if it's accurate enough.

Anyways we'll find out soon enough.

That's probably the first time I've heard that opinion. Controller preferences are always a very personal thing, but if there's been one thing that everyone seemed to agree on this gen it's that the 360 d-pad is no good.

yeah, as for fighting games the d-pad has to be accurate and the 360 one has too big of a margin for error. Meaning accidental jumping and other diagonal inputs. And these can cost you the entire match.

the DualShocks separated directions make it much harder to input a diagonal by sliding your finger around.

Anyways we'll find out soon enough.

Or we will have a Boomerang PS3 level of backlash on our hands and they will revert to the DualShock design once more ;D

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
You can put all kinds of shit on a keyboard, no one really cares about button placement there. I've got like 20 media buttons on here I've never even used.

Space on a controller is much more limited.

I'm not talking about space, talking about usability. You're questioning why we should have a dpad when we have sticks to move the cursor, and I'm turning that around into why should we have dedicated cursor keys when we have a touchpad/mouse to move the cursor. The dpad offers very specific input advantages over sticks and buttons, not to mention merely being an additional method of input.

Concept WARS! :D

made minor improvements to my formula based on other ideas(industrial espionage!):
ds4_2.jpg

Start & Select are still touch buttons on the surface.

And i still believe they will NOT change the silhouette. It is already so recognizable.

Your mock-up has made it to Germany :)
Headline is: "Could the new Dual Shock-Controller look like this?"

Looks really good, fair enough.

http://www.play3.de/2013/02/04/playstation-4-konnte-so-der-neue-dual-shock-controller-aussehen/

UrbanRats

Problem is that you can't really do a rear touchpad with a form factor that includes handles. Your fingers wrap around those, keeping them away from it.
If my fingers are resting, sure, but if i extend them, i can touch the rear of the pad (where the bulding info are, basically) just fine.
I guess for those who have tinier hands could be harder, but i don't have really big hands in the first place.

Consider that a touchpad is something you wouldn't rest your fingers on anyway, a back one is still more easily reachable than a front one.

I think that the addition of a touch pad is a great idea. And it needs to be a smooth surface not a textured one, like the vita's.

Anyone who has used a Magic Mouse on a Mac will probably agree that it's more convenient to use gestures to scroll thru pages, go back or forwards while browsing the Internet, etc. it's just a smoother experience than a wheel on a mouse or having to navigate to the back button every time you want to go back on a web page.

Also the Magic Mouse is transparent. So if Sony could implement something similar and have a qwerty keyboard illuminate when it's time to type and then disappear when in game or when the pad is being used for something else that would be soo cool! I just really hope they have a solution for typing.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Two things:

Keeps the focus on one screen.

DarҖaoZ;47283703 said:
You can keep your eyes on the TV and not look down to the controller. That is the main benefit of the touchpad. I think it would be lightly bigger than the mucks and that it will be of 16:9 size to simulate the size of the screen.

And hence the reason why I seem to suck at WiiU games that use both the tablet and tv screen extensively. *sigh*

Saberus

What does a touchpad offer that cant be replicated by a touchscreen?

I think a click touch pad would be great when your in a menu system on the fly.. it would be fast and more accurate than the joystick. Yes the touch screen would be nice, but it would make the controller larger and more expensive.

KAL2006

Banned
I think it's time for the Select button to say goodbye.

ps4ofjoyv3u5d.png

Perfect. Handles look bigger and longer which means much more comfy than Dualshock. Vita Dpad is great, and I personally prefer symetricall analogues the Dualshock has. Just add a share button in middle, and select on the left. I also want triggers like 360, as well as the idea of L1/R1 being clickable scrollers similar to a mouse middle button a poster mentioned earlier in this thread. Also add gyro then whit would be the perfect controller without being too expensive by having things like a screen.

Your mock-up has made it to Germany :)
Headline is: "Could the new Dual Shock-Controller look like this?"

Looks really good, fair enough.

http://www.play3.de/2013/02/04/playstation-4-konnte-so-der-neue-dual-shock-controller-aussehen/

Thought it was going to have a camera?

I'm still thinking it will suprise us, although it might just have a similar shitty camera as the Vita does :p

But it would make doing those Burnout Paradise mugshots easier!

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was just thinking about the Select/Start buttons, or lack thereof.

Rather than sacrifice a zone on the pad for the Start/Select buttons, one of those could be mapped to a two-finger touch event. So, using the pad normally with one finger would be gameplay related (really, we're not going to be multi-touching are we?), but tapping two fingers (or thumbs) could bring up the Start or Select function.

Not sure how to accommodate both Start and Select, though. Three fingers might be a bit awkward, but maybe two-finger double-tap would work.

Or, multi-touch on left for Select, multi-touch on the right for Start.

Yeah, that's it.

Any chance we could get some alternative designs; especially something with the sticks at the top.

None whatsoever.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For some reason I really seem to care about the new controller retaining the colors on the face button shapes. I'd love to see them with a shiny, metallic coloring on a darker black button. I have no idea why I care so much about the color scheme of those buttons, it's probably the most insignificant thing I've ever had a strong opinion on.

Mista Koo

For some reason I really seem to care about the new controller retaining the colors on the face button shapes. I'd love to see them with a shiny, metallic coloring on a darker black button. I have no idea why I care so much about the color scheme of those buttons, it's probably the most insignificant thing I've ever had a strong opinion on.
Because the colors are unique, pink instead of yellow and uncommon shades.

I honestly would prefer colored buttons if they can pull it off. The original 360 controller is so damn pretty.

Ainaurdur

Those colors along with the shapes have been with us since the PS1. It is deeply ingrained as part of the Playstation identity.

I'd much rather keep the shapes in the colors than have the buttons be the color with black or white shapes on top. I feel like colored buttons would give it too much of a Crayola children's toy look.

edit: I realize mine is a personal preference, and that others disagree. :D

WalkMan

Banned
So this video sharing/recording feature... that's what Gaikai was bought for, right? Not to enable PS2/PS3 BC?

What if your button presses were being mirrored onto the Gaikai server - which leaves Gaikai the duty of rendering the stream out. For live-streaming events I can see this being done to reduce bandwidth and rendering constraints. The only thing is that Gaikai will run a little behind. So pretty much your game would be running mirrored on a Gaikai server, seems to be kind of a waste of resources but I'm pretty sure someone could come up with something more innovative out of this setup.

Oppo

Those colors along with the shapes have been with us since the PS1. It is deeply ingrained as part of the Playstation identity.

I'd much rather keep the shapes in the colors than have the buttons be the color with black or white shapes on top. I feel like colored buttons would give it too much of a Crayola children's toy look.

edit: I realize mine is a personal preference, and that others disagree. :D

Vita doesn't have coloured face buttons, they are just white on black.

Come to think of it I don't think the PSPs had coloured buttons either.

Top Bottom