• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dodonpachi Resurrection iPhone/iPod touch |OT| Release on 26 Aug

japtor

_dementia said:
isn't there a demo?
Demo doesn't come out until the sale is over. There's a demo of Espgaluda II which might be enough to get a sense of Cave games but not exactly.

As for liking this if you like Infinity Gene, maybe, it depends what you like about it. Infinity Gene feels kind of like a console game with a bunch of levels and crap to unlock while DDP has the classic arcade formula of blowing things up and attacking your eyes and ears for ~30 minutes straight and (re)playing for score.
Ryu bogard said:
This is so much easier than espgaluda I can actually 1credit this game :lol
I 1cc'd my first time (and a few others) but haven't once I started playing for score...even if I am a bit clueless while doing so.
JEKKI said:
I dont understand the leaderboards... what does the number underneath your score mean??
If it's the number I'm thinking of it's just the level you died on. If you clear the game it says "ALL" there.

Jonnyram

JEKKI said:
I dont understand the leaderboards... what does the number underneath your score mean??
It's the last few digits of your score :lol
The score string is too long for OpenFeint to put on one line.
I guess this problem is most apparent in Arcade mode, where scores seem to be a magnitude higher than iPhone.

Edit: I'm talking about a different part to japtor, I guess.
I assume japtor means the scores within the app, not the OpenFeint leaderboards.

elfinke

Grabbed ESPGaluda after GAF went mad for it, and loved every damn second of that crazy arse game, even though I don't know how any part of the scoring really works.

Bought Ikaruga on the 360 due to buying Monday Night Combat and having 800 points left over. I approximately get what is happening in it.

Bought DDP:R day one, even though I'm most certainly a n00b when it comes to SCHMUPS. And I have no idea what is going on most of the time, but bugger me if the bullet hell patterns aren't a blast (pardon the pun) trying to work your way through them. And it's a stunner to look at on the (relatively) lowly 3GS.

JEKKI

Jonnyram said:
It's the last few digits of your score :lol
The score string is too long for OpenFeint to put on one line.
I guess this problem is most apparent in Arcade mode, where scores seem to be a magnitude higher than iPhone.
ahh that makes sense!!

not playin much arcade mode tho... too many permutations to check high score >_< stickin with iphone mode.

thatd be crazy tho if the top scorer actually did make it to stage 96 or something... I bet he hella drained his battery to get that far.

I cant even get to stage 4 without my hand getting cramp X_X

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Aaron said:
I don't like iphone mode in this game at all. The way hyper mode works just sucks imo.

Wrong. Scoring system for iPhone mode makes the game, IMO.

Played arcade mode and it was unsurprisingly liberating and felt a bit easy not having to worry about balancing between S and M modes.

That said, still didn't 1cc on my first arcade run. Close, though.

This is pretty nice, has hyped me up for the 360 version too.

Wonder what the next title will be on the iPhone - Mushi I 'spose.

I appreciate their little extra bonus that they dished out - like a lot of people I was using the title screen as wallpaper.

- from the blog:- http://caveworlden.wordpress.com/

en.jpg

Finally, I liked the icon for the game itself, so thought I would post up the full sized version;

DodonpachiResurrection.png

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I was hoping Progear for a change... But I wouldn't mind Guwange or Mushi.

Yes Boss!

Whatever happened to that little Mushi Futari spinoff title...the one where you walk around and stuff?

Btw, this DoDonPachi games rocks! Only been playing arcade mode so far. This one is going to be amazing on J-360.

Reese-015

Damn, this game is INCREDIBLE! But eh... Yeah I also prefer Arcade atm. I'd love to 'get' iPhone mode but I don't... Graze enemy bullets? I don't get it, it doesn't seem to work :/

I read the tutorial + the instructions posted in this thread many times and tried em out and even though I have fun and survive pretty well and all that, I don't have much of a grasp of what's going on score-wise and how *exactly* I should graze bullets, balance between S/M and what all the implications of going hyper are... It really feels needlessly complicated. But please do try to educate me more if you have the patience for it, I'd love to get the hang of it :) .

Best $5 I've spent in ages :D . Finding it to be a bit harder than Espgaluda II, but I chalk that up to my relative unfamiliarity with DDP.

Btw, I'm Amishpriest on OpenFeint.

japtor

Yes Boss! said:
Whatever happened to that little Mushi Futari spinoff title...the one where you walk around and stuff?
It was just a test game they put together (to check out the iPhone hardware) and had at some show, don't know if they ever plan on finishing it up or releasing it.
_dementia said:
There are already mobile phone versions of Progear out there so I don't think it's a priority for Cave
How's the rights situation on it? Does Capcom own it?

Jonnyram

Very quick turnaround with the patch.
The BGM bug was pretty noticeable though, so I'm glad they're fixing that.

Has anyone else noticed issues with any of the achievements not unlocking properly? I'm having real trouble getting the DDP New Recruit achievement.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Good news regarding Dodonpachi Resurrection: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/31/dodonpachi_strong_start/

Looks like iPhone users throughout the world love themselves some vertical shmup. Cave shared early sales stats for the iPhone/iPod touch version of DoDonPachi Resurrection today, and the game appears to be off to a strong start.

Since its August 26 release, Resurrection's sales have reached the 30,000 mark. In Japan and Hong Kong, the game reached number 1 in the AppStore's paid app chart. In America, France and China, it reached 2.

Like Espgaluda II before it, Resurrection replicates the arcade shooter experience on the iPhone. Cave has included a direct port of the arcade version along with a special "iPhone" mode.

Jonnyram

Cave put out a press release today saying the game sold 30,000 copies in the 4 day opening period.

Holy cow!

Edit: good grief, beaten!

Aaron

1cced arcade mode on my second full run through the game. Was a close one though, last life with no bombs through most of the final boss, but it was because I was super distracted during the first part of that stage.

My scoring is terrible though. Need to work on that.

If Cave release some of their older games like this, I'll buy them in a heartbeat.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
When the app was updating, the icon was a little girl! Thankfully, it's gone back to a lovely little spaceship, now. :D

Jonnyram said:
Very quick turnaround with the patch.
The BGM bug was pretty noticeable though, so I'm glad they're fixing that.

Has anyone else noticed issues with any of the achievements not unlocking properly? I'm having real trouble getting the DDP New Recruit achievement.

I had a similar issue, but not with that specific one. Achievements and also leader boards scores don't seem to sync if you earned them while the device was not connected online.

I found that to force them to sync, you have to force the game to quit by double clicking on the home button and forcing the app out of memory. And then the next time you launch it clean while online, it syncs up.

nqeesk.png

Jonnyram

PuppetMaster said:
I had a similar issue, but not with that specific one. Achievements and also leader boards scores don't seem to sync if you earned them while the device was not connected online.

I found that to force them to sync, you have to force the game to quit by double clicking on the home button and forcing the app out of memory. And then the next time you launch it clean while online, it syncs up.

nqeesk.png
Yeah, I've had that one...

I think my achievement woes may be caused by playing on both iPad and iPhone. I think I might not have finished one of the modes on the iPhone... will try to check later.

gkryhewy

Goddammit -- I can't believe I missed another one of these during the sale price period :lol

Oh well. Maybe they'll put them back on sale at some point.

The iPhone mode is fun even though it's completely silly with all the spinning and screen filling hyper laser. Arcade mode is good.

Not sure what the loop 2 requirements are for the iphone version yet.

Jonnyram

I assume the requirements for unlocking the hidden bosses in iPhone mode are totally different too? I mean one game I got the hidden boss on 1 and 3, but not 2. But in the Arcade version that would be impossible as you have to keep the chain going from stage to stage.

Yes Boss!

Had a good run at 3.5 billion. Passed the final boss without continues. I have not even begun to understand the scoring system. Just playing for completion. This game is so slick with the fast touch controls...feel like a superstar.

japtor

gkryhewy said:
Goddammit -- I can't believe I missed another one of these during the sale price period :lol

Oh well. Maybe they'll put them back on sale at some point.
For reference, here's how they've handled Espgaluda's pricing:

gEjFt.png

Jonnyram said:
I assume the requirements for unlocking the hidden bosses in iPhone mode are totally different too? I mean one game I got the hidden boss on 1 and 3, but not 2. But in the Arcade version that would be impossible as you have to keep the chain going from stage to stage.
Do you have to keep a chain going for the 2nd ura boss? I've only gotten it once so far and I suck at chaining but I remember seeing the 2nd ura boss on that run.

Guy over on the Touch Arcade forums uploaded his iPhone run of 1 and 2, pretty sure it shows the ura bosses for both:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa6YdZ8IjK8

japtor said:
For reference, here's how they've handled Espgaluda's pricing:
Do you have to keep a chain going for the 2nd ura boss? I've only gotten it once so far and I suck at chaining but I remember seeing the 2nd ura boss on that run.

Guy over on the Touch Arcade forums uploaded his iPhone run of 1 and 2, pretty sure it shows the ura bosses for both:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa6YdZ8IjK8

hmm how did he record his play? Jailbroken iphone app?

Good run anyway.

Jonnyram

japtor said:
Pretty sure it's not chain-related, even in iPhone mode. Can't find solid info for the right way, though. I thought it was bee-related, but seems not. For the 1st one, the main thing is to destroy the silos before the tanks run into them.

japtor

I thought you got them once you unlocked the first one but I'm probably mistaken there...still haven't been able to do it again.

However I was able to destroy my old high (arcade mode)! 6.45 billion vs my old 3 bil, good for 16th at the time on the B-power board. Still haven't figured out the damn laser section on 5 with power though

Jonnyram

japtor said:
I thought you got them once you unlocked the first one but I'm probably mistaken there...still haven't been able to do it again.
OK, some of the theories I've read.

1. You need max hyper before the mid-boss
This could be true, but I've not verified.

2. You need to destroy the silos before the tanks
(this worked for me)
Then you need to collect all the bees on every stage to keep this ura-bosses coming.
(this doesn't seem to be true as I unlocked ura boss on 3 without getting all the bees on 2)

3. No deaths
Max hyper before you get to mid-boss
3 bees before you get to mid-boss
(this might be true, but the 3 bees and the max hyper tend to go hand-in-hand anyway. In other words, it's quite hard to get hyper without the bees).

4. Destroy the silos
Get max hyper before each mid-boss

The last seems to be the most correct so far, but without stage select it's gonna take a bit of testing.

Before that, I need to start memorizing the bee positions so I can finally work on getting the 2nd lap and true boss!

Jonnyram

Yeah, it's the last one. At least in Arcade mode.
The reason I wasn't getting any before was because I had auto-Hyper turned on omfg.
Just got 1-5 in a single game. Didn't get enough bees for the second lap, though :(

japtor

Got the ura bosses this time and just tested it out for the later levels, definitely the silos, not sure on the hyper...cause it's really easy to fill the hyper meter with Power. Only thing I'm sure of on it is that you don't need to have the meter filled. I deliberately used it and went in with a partial meter before the mid boss sections to test that out, so it might just be just to fill it once in the first place.

Also goddamn the game is a lot harder with them and what seems like a rank up for the rest of the game. Died somewhere on 4 after losing a few on the 3 boss I think.

Jonnyram

Yeah, stage 5 was well ranked up after killing the ura bosses. The section with the circles of turrets was insanely harder.

Bento

Damn! This game is amazing! I also like Espagaluda II but this is just fucking great and imo a better game then the aforementioned one. I do have two questions for you though, first of all, what is it that triggers the more powerful version of your weapons? I can't see any power ups floating around so I assume there's something else triggering it, it's all kinds of awesome when the concentrated laser goes haywire and I would like to know how to do it more consciously.

Secondly, what's your best scores? Would love to be able to compare to see where I'm at currently :)

J2d

Feels nice to sink my teeth into a new Dodonpachi for the first time in a couple of years. I'm happy it's a cellphone version, since it makes it less serious, because I would commit suicide if I where ever going to take on the task of a perfect chain on the last stage, it feels like it's 10 minutes long. This perfectionist shit that the series has going on is probably why I gave up shooters but this version is a nice change. I just wish they didn't have to include characters as bosses but I guess you do what you have to to survive.

Yes Boss!

Bento,

Just cruise through this thread since a lot of our Open Feint usernames are here.

Add me, I'm:

Yes Boss!

Haven't really been trying iPhone mode but I've got some scores up for all the arcade modes.

japtor

Bento said:
what is it that triggers the more powerful version of your weapons? I can't see any power ups floating around so I assume there's something else triggering it, it's all kinds of awesome when the concentrated laser goes haywire and I would like to know how to do it more consciously.
Are you talking about the huge yellow and black shot? That's what the hyper does, by default it automatically triggers when the hyper meter (upper left horizontal meter) fills up. You can go into the control options and set it to manual if you want some more control over triggering it.

For a lot more detail, strategy for the arcade version (most of which carries over):
http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=704.0
And tailored for the iPhone version, including the iPhone mode:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=65302

Top Bottom