• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a PSP worth getting?

killatopak

Yes. Alternatively, buying a Vita is much better for the long run unless you plan on playing games not available on digital like Crisis Core.

faridmon

Yes, my second favourite system ever just behind the DS. If you can get some of its games for cheap, then its worth it.

PSP is an amazing PS1 machine. Also has great versions of games like the first three Personas and Street Fighter Alpha 3, and cool original games like Crisis Core, Birth by Sleep, Peace Walker, and Dissidia. If you can get one for cheap it's totally worth it; most of the games aren't that expensive nowadays and modding is super easy and super rewardable.

I was gifted valkery profile and Star ocean 2 even though I have no PSP, lol. Still in their plastic

Oh, if you have those already? Total no-brainer.

FiveSide

Banned
If you're not going to jailbreak the system, I recommend just getting a Vita instead. You still get access to PS1 classics and a lot of PSP games, plus the Vita's own library (which is a lot better than people give it credit for).

Why the heck are Valkyrie Profile and the Metal Gear Acid games not available on PSN? :/ Great PSP games that are relatively hard to track down. If you've already got Valkyrie Profile, go ahead and pick up the system, you're in for a good time. Lumines 2 is another cool PSP game that isn't on PSN (and you can find it for pretty cheap in used game stores).

BHK3

Banned
I recently purchased a Vita, I would advise against it, you're not missing out aside from visual novels.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Pros
  • Games are still fairly cheap with respect to "retro" games
  • TONS of great games from across many different genres
  • You can find some awesome UMD movies at thrift stores
  • Some great exclusives for popular game series
  • Can connect to a TV via component cables
  • 3rd party replacement batteries are cheap
  • Not region locked (can't believe I forgot to add this one the first time)

Cons
  • Kind of uncomfortable to hold if you have big hands
  • Kind of uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time
  • At this point, you're probably gonna need to replace a launch battery for one reason or another
  • PSP PSN store access is dead now

If you want to play PSP only games or fantranslations on original hardware, sure. I have one for Princess Crown, Grand Knight's History, Valkyrie Profile, and Mega Man Powered Up, as none of them are available on the PSN and the first two were Japan only.

ascii42

I thought that they still sell PSP games in the store? Though I recently bought a PSP and found that it's not compatible with my WLAN either way.

Yeah, as far as I know you can still go into your download list on the PSP and download them that way, there's just no storefront anymore, so you have to buy on the computer.

ASaiyan

Banned
Overall yes, especially at the price you're probably getting for. I got a 2000 for $100 six years ago and even that was a pretty good deal.

There are a bunch of solid titles in the library that can probably be found used now for cheap. It's also really easy to hack depending on the model and is a good portable emulator solution (SNES, Genesis, GBA, etc.)

One thing I actually really love about it is playing PSOne classics, because the small screen mitigates some of the poor-aging early 3D graphics. I actually played FF7 for the first time on a PSP.

jholmes

I thought that they still sell PSP games in the store? Though I recently bought a PSP and found that it's not compatible with my WLAN either way.

You have to have a PS3 to get PSP games now, which means that something like the PSP Go is fully dependent on owning a PS3 at this point. EDIT: Or perhaps as said above you can use a PC? You can't do it just with the PSP at any rate.

I do recommend a PSP, I got a Go about a year back and buying games on PSN is super cheap if you're willing to wait for sales, although there's a ton of interesting stuff (Mega Man Powered Up, basically everything from Square-Enix) that you can't buy digital.

So OP it depends on what you're looking for but the library isn't bad, games are reasonable and a lot of the stuff you have to buy physical comes pretty cheap so I think it's a fair idea.

FRS1987

I was gifted valkery profile and Star ocean 2 even though I have no PSP, lol. Still in their plastic

Totally worth it, especially if you want to play Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP ver.). You can Hack/Mod it to remove the slowdown that the PSP version has. I'm not aware if this is even possible on a Vita. Love both machines though as they are severely underrated and overshadowed by their Nintendo counterparts.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The only handheld better than the PSP is the Vita. Possibly the Switch too down the line. Fantastic varied library. Though I'd recommend getting a Vita instead since you get a good amount of PSP and PS1 games worth playing but with more comfortable controls plus the superior Vita library on top of it.

Haano

PSP is worth it, it has an amazing collection of games and insane homebrew support.
Everything from Atari to PSX.

But games are going to be very difficult to buy, especially in a working state. UMDs are a scum system, they break very easiily.

I therefore recommend you get a PS Vita instead, as it can emulate a PSP. If your a techie you can even mod the PSP emulator within the Vita to run emulators and your backup games. Its a much better solution that the PSP. Battery lasts longer and it has a better screen too.

If you do go for a PSP, dont buy a memory stick duo. Instead buy a Micro-SD to Memory Stick Pro Duo adapter and use that instead.

Palom

Pros
  • Can connect to a TV via component cables
I don't know if it was changed in later models, but I have a PSP 2000, and the TV-out implementation on it is terrible. It outputs at 480p (or 480i), which is 720x480. Then, it places the 480x272 PSP image inside that 720x480. So, to start with, you have giant black borders around the image. The XMB displays fine, but not actual gameplay. Second, 720x480 isn't square pixels at either 4:3 or 16:9. So, unless your TV can display 3:2 (I don't know of any that do), the aspect ratio is wrong when playing a game. Not to mention you have a thick-ass component cable connected from the TV to your system, which you are using as the controller, and is plugged uncomfortably into the bottom.

I now use a PSTV for playing my PSP games on the TV instead.

1upsuper

Definitely. It's an excellent game system with a strong, diverse library of games. It has a bit of everything -- JRPGs, platformers, SHMUPs, rhythm games, etc. Plus you've got a good selection of classic titles on PSN. I highly recommend getting one. It's got a fairly low cost to entry and I think game prices are still decent. The only issue might be memory cards. Are they still expensive and kinda hard to find?

batrush

No. Annoying cons with each PSP system out there. Just emulate the games on a PC or smartphone/whatever you like. Vita I would avoid due to the shitty image quality and limited emulation options.

PsionBolt

Sure. It's a nifty little device with a weird, retro-feeling library, home to many oddball original games (Black Rock Shooter, Valkyria Chronicles 3, Project Diva) and many classic ports (Persona 3 Portable, Mega Man Powered Up, Final Fantasy Tactics). It's also a great way to play PS1 games (officially) and other retro systems (via homebrew).

I'll probably still be using mine for decades to come, since I doubt they'll ever come out with a better way to play Mega Man Legends.

linkboy

Honestly, if you're just looking to play PSP games, I'd get a Vita. It's a fantastic way to play PS1 and PSP games. The only exception being the games that aren't up on PSN, which sucks.

It's pretty much what I use my Vita for.

depending on what games you want to play yes or no. the vita has a pretty good digital psp library but there are some omissions (crisis core being one of the big ones)

the psp is still great tho and you should be able to find most things pretty cheap. and you can use it to watch hot umd movies

also not to be the Emulation Advocate but PPSSPP is an incredibly good emulator that scales super well if you wanted to go that route

Pretty much any PSP game that is available on the PSN is better on the Vita - nicer screen, better controls, and even slightly faster load times than a digital copy on PSP (and drastically faster load times vs a UMD). But the PSP does have some games that were never put up digitally (or in rare cases were put up digitally but later removed like Brave Story).

Basically, if you don't have either, I'd strongly recommend a Vita over a PSP. I would only recommend a PSP if you wanted to play specific games that are only available on PSP and not Vita (like Crisis Core & the Star Ocean games).

You're better off grabbing a Vita instead. PSP games look better on the Vita screen than they did on OG hardware, Vita's screen resolution is 4x the PSP's so it scales 100% cleanly. Feels better to hold too

mhayes86

Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 1 & 2, and the Ys games are all reason enough to get a PSP. I'd also include Trails in the Sky, but all three games are available on PC, I think. That's is, unless you have a Vita and all of the above are on Vita.

You're better off grabbing a Vita instead. PSP games look better on the Vita screen than they did on OG hardware, Vita's screen resolution is 4x the PSP's so it scales 100% cleanly. Feels better to hold too

Going to have to co-sign this.
Also the Vita has great battery life. Especially in sleep mode.

PSP batteries lost their capacity pretty quickly and didn’t last long each charge anyway.

OP already has copies of Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean 2 which are two of the bigger games that were never released digitally, so it's definitely worth it for them to get a PSP and not just a Vita. Though I never really followed Vita homebrew so I dunno if there's a workaround for games like that yet.

1upsuper

Nah, the Vita PSN is missing waaaaay too many PSP titles to be an acceptable substitute. Plus, there are lots of good PSP imports and switching regions on a Vita is more annoying than any other modern Sony console. If you want a Vita, get it for the Vita exclusives.

SeppOCE

Ima hijack this to ask and to help OP but what are some easy to find titles for the PSP that you guys could reccomend? Turns out Valkyrie Profile is cheap and easy to buy online so I'm going to start with that but what about others? Im looking to expand my PSP collection but I'm not interested in digital media unless it's a last resort.

Edit: forgot to answer the question but its worth it if you want to explore one of the most expansive handheld libraries of all time on native hardware. Otherwise you could probably experience it on a vita. Ps1 emulation is beautiful on a psp too.

Top Bottom