• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Monster Hunter Franchise "Handheld" Exclusive for 3 Years on 3DS

Mileena

Banned
Maybe it's true but it doesn't explain why Capcom doesn't even try with their other games on Vita, other than quick late ports of their fighting games.

If such a deal was made it suggests that Capcom never recognized Vita as a viable platform for their games to begin with. not sure what would change in a year with current pathetic sales.

Capcom barely tries on any platform. Have you seen their game lineup lately?

Vita has the superior hunting action, i.e. Soul Sacrifice. Why waiting for Monster horrible-texture-boring-stale-gameplay Hunter 4?

Aside from jokes, even if this rumor was true, after the 3 year contract I don't see how Capcom can build a MH fanbase on Vita. 3DS already got a very successful entry (3G sold over 800k units more than expectations), and it is becoming the MH platform, give how the Best Price version is selling.

Metallix87

Yep, Sony is going to spend 4.5 billion dollars to save the Vita too and devote all of their resources to i....oh...uh....

Edit: We're already starting to see stores removing Vita

Indeed. All I see in this topic is more goalpost moving. First it was "wait for E3", then "wait for Gamescom", then "wait for TGS", then "wait for it's first Holiday season", and now we're waiting for a price drop and for it to discover it's "identity in the market".

Guys, we have to start facing facts, and the Vita situation is extremely dire, and there's likely not much Sony can do to right it, barring some kinda of surprise exclusive super system seller that does Pokemon or Mario numbers, and I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
TBF even if this was the case I doubt Capcom would be particularily eager to start developing a MH on the Vita unless MH4 bombs and even then it'd depend on the severity of it. 3DS simply has such larger install, growing at a riduclously faster rate than the Vita that it doesn't make much to spend the resource to make a competant Vita version. For all intents and purposes this is a PS2 situation.

Baki

I honestly think Sony could get Vita to 1M+ YTD levels if they cut the price. At 19.980 yen, I could definitely see the PSVita sell 1.2M-1.5M YTD in Japan. This isn't 3DS 5M level, but still respectable enough. But the price cut needs to happen sooner rather than later.

TBF even if this was the case I doubt Capcom would be particularily eager to start developing a MH on the Vita unless MH4 bombs and even then it'd depend on the severity of it. 3DS simply has such larger install, growing at a riduclously faster rate than the Vita that it doesn't make much to spend the resource to make a competant Vita version. For all intents and purposes this is a PS2 situation.

I don't think a quick and dirty port is outside the realms of possibility. It would easily post 300K+ sales on the PSVita, which is definitely worth the porting cost.

Vita has the superior hunting action, i.e. Soul Sacrifice. Why waiting for Monster horrible-texture-boring-stale-gameplay Hunter 4?

Aside from jokes, even if this rumor was true, after the 3 year contract I don't see how Capcom can build a MH fanbase on Vita. 3DS already got a very successful entry (3G sold over 800k units more than expectations), and it is becoming the MH platform, give how the Best Price version is selling.

Because MH is the missing pillar from the Japanese Vita software library. Not securing MH (even multiplform) was the biggest mistake SCEJ ever made.

Aeana

Yep, Sony is going to spend 4.5 billion dollars to save the Vita too and devote all of their resources to i....oh...uh....

Edit: We're already starting to see stores removing Vita

I think a lot of people haven't heard that some major department store chains in Japan no longer carry the Vita. It's a pretty bad situation, and getting those chains to carry it again will be a trial for Sony.

Please quit while you ahead. Not only is your "prediction" hyperbolic in nature, you are coming across as fanboyish. Vita's situation is due to the price and its place in a market where it's having issues with its identity. Nobody in this forum knows what will happen next week let alone almost 2 years down the road. Cut it out.

Vita is having far more problems than just price and market positioning, the biggest being a severe lack of big exclusive games, and the longer the appalling sales continue the lower the chances of ever getting any becomes

I honestly think Sony could get Vita to 1M+ YTD levels if they cut the price. At 19.980 yen, I could definitely see the PSVita sell 1.2M-1.5M YTD in Japan. This isn't 3DS 5M level, but still respectable enough. But the price cut needs to happen sooner rather than later.

Approximately 5 million LTD by the time this is over would not be a respectable LTD.

Same way they put MH on the dying platform which was the 3DS at the time. Or did you forget? They could've put it on PSP and sold 4-5 mill but they put it on 3DS to sell 1 mill

I don't know where people ever get their information but 3DS was never a "dying platform" in Japan. It was selling under expectations with mediocre sales but it only dropped under 20k a few times before the price drop. Vita was sub 10k for half the year and is going back there next year.

Nerdstrom

Banned
There's no telling if vita won't get its own killer app. No one expected gta 3. Vita is still the most powerful handheld.

Metallix87

Same way they put MH on the dying platform which was the 3DS at the time. Or did you forget? They could've put it on PSP and sold 4-5 mill but they put it on 3DS to sell 1 mill

That's called looking towards the future. They saw in 3DS more opportunity than Vita, and decided that the future of the series was on 3DS.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I don't think a quick and dirty port is outside the realms of possibility. It would easily post 300K+ sales on the PSVita, which is definitely worth the porting cost.

Yea but it's like hoping for this amazing ports for the gamecube that never came. And I'm pretty sure the gamecube is doing better than the Vita.

It may happen but I would far from hold my breath.

Shion

Guys, we have to start facing facts, and the Vita situation is extremely dire, and there's likely not much Sony can do to right it, barring some kinda of surprise exclusive super system seller that does Pokemon or Mario numbers, and I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
Maybe.

But this doesn't mean that Sony is going to discontinue the Vita.

Kyon

Banned
That's called looking towards the future. They saw in 3DS more opportunity than Vita, and decided that the future of the series was on 3DS.

Yeah I know lol just saying they took a chance with it and it worked. It proves yet again that MH can be on any portable and we will eat it up.

I think a lot of people haven't heard that some major department store chains in Japan no longer carry the Vita. It's a pretty bad situation, and getting those chains to carry it again will be a trial for Sony.

Wow, is there a report or link on that?

fernoca

It would be expected more than anything. In the end, I guess Capcom will decide on what to do and if anything, it wouldn't surprise me if it's just "HD ports" of the 3DS games with added content.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

3DS was never dying it had mario and mario kart on the way with a Pokemon in the future. It may not not have done as well as it does now but I'm not sure how you construe it's position as dying. It was in no way comparable to the Vita.

Maybe it's true but it doesn't explain why Capcom doesn't even try with their other games on Vita, other than quick late ports of their fighting games.

If such a deal was made it suggests that Capcom never recognized Vita as a viable platform for their games to begin with. not sure what would change in a year with current pathetic sales.

Its all about confidence.
Why make games for PS3 and 360? Because they have a userbase? What about PS4/720? They won't have a userbase but will both likely have third party support.

Its because third parties are confident that both will create their userbase.

Capcom was behind the PSP's success much more than Sony were. Nintendo sold double the units of the PSP and now Nintendo was moving into 3D handheld gaming (along with an extended online and features like Spotpass and Streetpass).

Capcom could be confident that Nintendo would create their own userbase; they don't believe Sony can so any third party games on the Vita that aren't system sellers (meaning the biggest benefit is for Sony anyway) will basically flop.

Capcom knew with the PSP they were the user creators and not Sony. So they decided to go all in with Nintendo, why? Because they now have brought the PSP userbase to the Nintendo userbase.

I suspect being able to also sell another MH game with 3D as a selling point probably helped too.
They get to keep the franchise fresh, keep costs down AND sell to a smaller userbase.

All of this has turned out to be correct as Vita is struggling. As long as its struggling Capcom have no competition for users.

No its not relevant or similar. A competitor putting down another business and product? Just noise.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Three years starting when? When TriG launched in Japan? Or maybe when 4 launches? Or when the contract was done, and if so, when was it done? This doesn't really tell us much at all even if it's true. Anyway, I doubt they intend to put it on any other platform in its primary form, the only other potential real-ish Monster Hunter I see as a possibility is a potential Frontier 2, but it's not like they'd say no to a few millions from Nintendo if they asked for a contract anyway, though it can't have been the primary reason for the platform choice considering the power and importance it has displayed as an IP of its own.

There's no way 3G (or Portable 3rd-G) would have sold so much; PSP was also fading, and it's not that growth occurs forever. Also, 3G sold close to 2 million, against initial predictions of 1.2 million units. It's not a new game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Its all about confidence.
Why make games for PS3 and 360? Because they have a userbase? What about PS4/720? They won't have a userbase but will both likely have third party support.

Its because third parties are confident that both will create their userbase.

Capcom was behind the PSP's success much more than Sony were. Nintendo sold double the units of the PSP and now Nintendo was moving into 3D handheld gaming (along with an extended online and features like Spotpass and Streetpass).

Capcom could be confident that Nintendo would create their own userbase; they don't believe Sony can so any third party games on the Vita that aren't system sellers (meaning the biggest benefit is for Sony anyway) will basically flop.

Capcom knew with the PSP they were the user creators and not Sony. So they decided to go all in with Nintendo, why? Because they now have brought the PSP userbase to the Nintendo userbase.

I suspect being able to also sell another MH game with 3D as a selling point probably helped too.
They get to keep the franchise fresh, keep costs down AND sell to a smaller userbase.

All of this has turned out to be correct as Vita is struggling. As long as its struggling Capcom have no competition for users.

That is true of any failed platform, that's not always really a positive. Wanting to sell your games on a product people don't want, isn't some big advantage. Ther's a reason why developers ignore certain platforms. If what you said was correct, everyone would be putting they're big franchises on the Vita, they aren't. Viat's software sales are even more dire than it's hardware, which should be the biggest warning sign.

goldenpp72

Vita is selling worse and less software than the Dreamcast if i'm not mistaken, didn't the PSP outsell the Vita in japan just this recent holiday? The issue is startling because there simply is no reason to buy a Vita for most gamers. People don't rush out and buy portables for gravity rush and uncharted, or PSN stuff as that's not even a visible aspect until you own the system already.

Vita is such a great system, but Sony has greatly mishandled it by not ensuring 3rd party support and actual relevant exclusives. I would say the system is doomed, and that's unfortunate.

Metallix87

Vita is selling worse and less software than the Dreamcast if i'm not mistaken, didn't the PSP outsell the Vita in japan just this recent holiday?

Yes, but apparently we have to wait for a price drop and for the system to discover it's identity in the market before we deem it a failure.

Stores are already taking it off their shelves. Sony doesn't have to discontinue it, retailers will just stop stocking the thing.
Wait until Sony sets up holiday time mall kiosks. Sales will skyrocket!

I think I found the perfect position for the vita!
near hot topic, right across from the food court.

ugoo18

Difference was Capcom knew that was temporary, they knew once Nintendo started releasing their big games the 3DS would pick up massively. The 3DS is setting records without a Pokemon release yet.

Honestly had the DS been capable of running MH to what Capcom would deem an acceptable standard i seriously doubt the PSP would even have received the series to begin with.

What kind of garbage exactly?

1. MH is not nearly as commercially successful in the west as it is in Japan
2. PSV sold less than 700k last year in Japan; while 3DS sold over 5m.

I don't see how these two combined lead to any conclusion beside that PSV stopped being a viable platform, as for as the context of this topic is concerned, several months ago.

This. I don't think the rumor is true, IMO, Capcom simply made a business decision to put MH on a much larger platform.

Because MH is the missing pillar from the Japanese Vita software library. Not securing MH (even multiplform) was the biggest mistake SCEJ ever made.

Vita sold less than 700k last year, you basically expect sales to double with a 20% price cut?

Metallix87

It's not even like Sony is committed to the platform. I sound like a broken record, but E3 strongly communicated their feelings about Vita.

Agreed. Sony doesn't seem to care, and I don't see that changing. Heck, the 2013 lineup they've provided for the thing amounts to what? Killzone, Tearaway, and Soul Sacrifice? Is this a joke? They're basically letting the thing die a slow, agonizing death!

Spierek

If this turns out to be true, Vita is basically dead in Japan. The Monster Hunter franchise on PSP boosted sales beyond the roof, if I remember those sales figures correctly.

Aeana

Wow, is there a report or link on that?
I don't know if anybody has reported it or not. It just comes from observation by several people that stores like Aeon and Ito Yokado don't have Vita sections anymore. At least in smaller cities. I wouldn't be surprised if Tokyo branches still had them.

Wynnebeck

Banned
"Still lives" is an interesting choice of words...

I use them because you and a few people in this thread like to go around acting as if the Vita was canned yesterday. No one is moving goal posts. People are discussing what can be done to help Vita's situation but I'm guessing in your mind, anyone trying to be positive is a shill huh? I'm done.

Kacho

Damn...that's grim.

Yes, but apparently we have to wait for a price drop and for the system to discover it's identity in the market before we deem it a failure.

I wonder whether people will continue moving the goalposts after Soul Sacrifice fails to singlehandedly save the system in Japan and after Sony ignores it in favor of their consoles for a second E3 in a row.

Wait, no, I don't.

I don't go into the media create threads that often but I didn't realize stores in Japan were no longer carrying Vita's. That does sound pretty bad.

Top Bottom