• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

While this thread is near the top...

I recently brewed my JP n3DS to the point where I have the English patch for MHXX running and all is right with the world.

But...

The power has since gone to my head and I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for me to get my MHGen save from my (quite stable) NA n3DSXL to the JP system. Is this possible?

For reasons, I do not want to mess with my NA unit so no, I don't want to just brew that system to read the patched MHXX cart and run the MH Data Transfer cia

Thank you beautiful people in advance.

I recently brewed my JP n3DS to the point where I have the English patch for MHXX running and all is right with the world.

But...

The power has since gone to my head and I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for me to get my MHGen save from my (quite stable) NA n3DSXL to the JP system. Is this possible?

For reasons, I do not want to mess with my NA unit so no, I don't want to just brew that system to read the patched MHXX cart and run the MH Data Transfer cia

If MHGen saves to the cart you can just wack it into the CFW System and dump it from the cart, the dumping programs don't respect the Regions lock. But I thought MH saved to the SD card, in which case you're out of luck, stuff on the SD is encrypted per system so you can't decrypt it without hacking the console in question (or doing a system transfer to a hacked console then transferjng back of course but it'd have to be the same region and it'd take a week).

If MHGen saves to the cart you can just wack it into the CFW System and dump it from the cart, the dumping programs don't respect the Regions lock. But I thought MH saved to the SD card, in which case you're out of luck, stuff on the SD is encrypted per system so you can't decrypt it without hacking the console in question (or doing a system transfer to a hacked console then transferjng back of course but it'd have to be the same region and it'd take a week).

It does save to the system and this is the answer I was worried I would get.
Thanks anyhow

Doopliss

But...

You would just need to make a save backup on the NA 3DS which should only require basic homebrew, not custom firmware or anything. The rest could be done on the JP 3DS.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I just hacked an OG 3DS (11.3) and a 2DS (11.0) that two of my younger students gave me, because they couldn't do it themselves. Everything went perfectly fine on first try.

Good gravy, the process is sooooo smooth these days! I remember back when I hacked my N3DS, jus right after the downgrade had been release, and how dangerous and finicky the process was. Kids these days have it too easy!

I just hacked an OG 3DS (11.3) and a 2DS (11.0) that two of my younger students gave me, because they couldn't do it themselves. Everything went perfectly fine on first try.

Good gravy, the process is sooooo smooth these days! I remember back when I hacked my N3DS, jus right after the downgrade had been release, and how dangerous and finicky the process was. Kids these days have it too easy!
Don't remind of downgrading to 4.5 from 9.2 on an old 3DS to use the only free CFW available, didn't boot the majority of the time, and couldn't play new games because you were on such an old firmware... that fucking sucked so much dick.

Tommi84

Kids these days have it too easy!
Yeah. And with rooting of your phone, too.

When I did it in the back old days I screwed up my HTC Hero big time so I had to have it repaired. Now you just download one piece of software on your PC and press one button. ONE button.

Moreche

I am wanting to install a cfw on my NN3DS but I've read that putting the NEW N3DS in sleep mode will brick it.
Does this mean during the install of the cfw or at anytime?
Thanks.

I am wanting to install a cfw on my NN3DS but I've read that putting the NEW N3DS in sleep mode will brick it.
Thanks.

That's only during a certain step in the installation proces.
In that step, you will install a temporary 2.1 firmware. Because N3DS was never meant to run such a low version, some strange things occur. Such a bricking when putting it in sleep mode. So just avoid that and it's fine.

Thanks.

The guide says in what part shouldn't turn off or close n3ds pretty clearly. You should read it first before installing a9lh in the first place.

Mistake

I had to update today and my apache thunder ds tt launcher stopped working. I will try a reinstall when I get home, but if anyone has ideas let me know

If you're willing to risk the use Luma nightlies you can update to 11.4 safely as far as I can tell (it's been working fine for me, Homebrew and NTR all work), if you stick with the stable builds 11.4 breaks the DS and GBA Firm patches so you probably shouldn't until Luma stable gets an update.
I should have read last page, whoops. I'll update luma and see then

Edit: for anyone wondering it's fixed.

Moreche

The dude who makes the awesome ultimate injectors for VC games just released this SNES forwarder:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-snes-forwarder-maker-for-3ds.460895/

Basically you can now have an launcher icon that looks like the official VC ones, but when opened, it'll run games on Retroarch. This allows us to get games like Super Mario RPG, which don't work via injection, on the 3DS home screen and have it look consistent with the other VC injected and official eshop games.

I'm gonna try this out for my SMRPG later today and report back on if it works well.
I'd still love to know how SMRPG runs on your 3DS?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I actually tried Yoshi's Island with that forwarder and it ran very poorly.

New or Old 3DS? Yoshi's Island is one of those games that had special stuff in them that make it harder to emulate. The forwarder itself shouldn't be causing any issues. Have you tried running it through plain old RetroArch?

Quick question. I ended up doing CFW but did it with the memory card that came with the new 3ds. Now I want to use a 32 gig I'm picking up. I haven't added anything at all so it's basically still stock cfw. How can I add a 32 gig card without breaking cfw?

Also, I want to hack my new 3ds XL. I have a TON of stuff on that 3ds on a 32 gig card. Will I lose anything if I do cfw?

Quick question. I ended up doing CFW but did it with the memory card that came with the new 3ds. Now I want to use a 32 gig I'm picking up. I haven't added anything at all so it's basically still stock cfw. How can I add a 32 gig card without breaking cfw?

Also, I want to hack my new 3ds XL. I have a TON of stuff on that 3ds on a 32 gig card. Will I lose anything if I do cfw?

When dud you CFW the system ? If it was after a9lh on sysNAND became standard (around 12 months ago) you can just get copy the cojtents From the old SD to the new and swap them. If you're using the standard SD they come with this is probably you, the card is only 4 GB which means having an emuNAND is possible but unlikely.

If you're using EmuNAND you need to use RedNAND9 to dump the EmuNAND , use the safely eject option in RedNand9, put in the new card, create an emuNAND partition on the new card, , then use the option in RedNAND to safely eject the card , then copy the contents of the old card to the new on a PC, put the new card back in, and then inject the dumped emuNAND to the EmuNAND partition.

What firmwares is the N3DS XL on ? I believe that as long as you're on 10.3 or less you can CFW without loss , by following the guide.

So I managed to install homebrew on the new 3ds and the new 3ds XL. How do I make sure not to fuck this up so I can play gba games? And so I don't brick my system? Since there is no account system (welcome to 2007 Nintendo!) I don't want to lose the things I've bought.

MilkLizard

New or Old 3DS? Yoshi's Island is one of those games that had special stuff in them that make it harder to emulate. The forwarder itself shouldn't be causing any issues. Have you tried running it through plain old RetroArch?

It's the new 3DS. I tried Retroarch as well but no luck. Not that big of a problem though, because I still have the GBA version from the ambassador games.

Mistake

Anyone know why my apple earbuds won't work with n3ds? It's like they aren't fully in, even though they are. I've tried different pairs and the same thing happens. With Super mario 3d land, mario won't talk when you go to the game for example. However, when I use the double ended beats cord, my sony headphones get everything. Both jacks look almost the same

I'm willing to buy another set if anyone has suggestions. Same style, just not in ear buds. I figured this as good a place to ask as any

Anyone know why my apple earbuds won't work with n3ds? It's like they aren't fully in, even though they are. I've tried different pairs and the same thing happens. With Super mario 3d land, mario won't talk when you go to the game for example. However, when I use the double ended beats cord, my sony headphones get everything. Both jacks look almost the same

I'm willing to buy another set if anyone has suggestions. Same style, just not in ear buds. I figured this as good a place to ask as any
Could it be the fact one jack has "remote" ability and the other doesn't? that would account for the differences between jacks, send possible explanation of alignment maybe throwing things off?

Erheller

Dunno if this'll help or not, but my DS lite had the same problem. I usually fixed it by rotating the audio jack inside the socket until the full audio popped up.

Haven't had that issue on 3DS though.

Jockel

Try carefully poking around in the jack with a needle or a paper clip to remove any lint or dust that may have accumulated in there. That has been the culprit for me for several phones I kept in pockets over the years.

Try carefully poking around in the jack with a needle or a paper clip to remove any lint or dust that may have accumulated in there. That has been the culprit for me for several phones I kept in pockets over the years.
Yes, good point. Had to do this a couple of times with my iPhone. But strange that one jack would work and another wouldn't for the OP"?

Mistake

Completely clean, I keep it in a case and just checked. This only happens with apple earbuds so far, and as I said, I tried different pairs with the same problem. Twisting or pushing doesn't matter. I will try some of my coworkers earbuds and see if the same thing happens. I just don't like taking out my big headphones sometimes if I don't have to

Edit: Small update. I tried my coworker's apple earbuds that have white bands on the jack and they worked. Mine have black bands. I'll have to look up what model is what. The beats cord has black bands, so I have no idea what the issue is

Ewo

I had a similar issue trying to record footage. No sound coming through that specific cable for no particular reason. I found a Reddit thread with someone else having problems with a specific set of headphones, but it doesn't have any solutions other than to clean the headphone jack.

So I'm thinking it's either a defect or a very specific design flaw.

Hey guys, dumb question, but what are the main files of a 3DS? I used another typ of homebrew before on my N3DS and have some trouble to differentiate between the 3DS own files and the files I put on it.

Hey guys, dumb question, but what are the main files of a 3DS? I used another typ of homebrew before on my N3DS and have some trouble to differentiate between the 3DS own files and the files I put on it.

The DCIM and "Nintendo 3DS" (and potentially Themes folder , I can't remember either way for it) folders and their contents are the only native 3DS files on a non-hacked 3DS sdcard everthing else is you / HB.

If your 3DS is hacked you may require a few other files but it depends on the back and CFW you are using.

Doopliss

Just two folders and their contents.

DCIM - photos and screenshots
Nintendo 3DS - games, apps, saves, settings and basically everything else

No other files or folders present will have been put there by the 3DS itself. If you're worried about removing anything you could post a screenshot of the SD contents and we could probably explain what everything is.

Fake edit: beaten but posting anyway YOLO.

Thanks, I'm currently trying Soundhax and it overwrote the "3ds"-folder I had from another homebrew still on the card.

DCIM and Nintendo 3DS are still untouched by other programs.

As anyone experience with Soundhax? I'm trying to start the "<3 nedwill 2016"-file which is supposed to bring up the homebrew-launcher, yet I only get errors and nothing happens.
On this page it says that it might take many times, but I'm still not sure if it's the right thing I'm doing.

Doopliss

Thanks, I'm currently trying Soundhax and it overwrote the "3ds"-folder I had from another homebrew still on the card.

DCIM and Nintendo 3DS are still untouched by other programs.

As anyone experience with Soundhax? I'm trying to start the "<3 nedwill 2016"-file which is supposed to bring up the homebrew-launcher, yet I only get errors and nothing happens.
On this page it says that it might take many times, but I'm still not sure if it's the right thing I'm doing.
I've not done it myself but the only important files for it to work would be the M4A audio file, the otherapp payload and boot.3dsx from the starter kit. If you got the appropriate versions of the former two for your system model, region and version, and replaced the old boot.3dsx you probably had on your SD with the latest one it should work eventually.

Mistake

Seems I have a new problem. Why is it my 3DS can load up my sd card through ds tt but not my computer? I waited a long time and can't get access to the card, but my other cards work fine. Maybe some bad blocks? I need to find a way to copy the stuff off before it's too late

womp

I'm usually caught up on my hacks...Luma, arm9loader...etc...but why do I still occasionally get a 'System Error Please Power Down the System' error when I try to boot GBA games? This isn't all the time but once in a blue moon. Just drives me crazy sometimes and I could never figure out why a GBA game will boot say 9 times, but then not on the 10th and I gotta restart the 3DS.

Any ideas? Just the nature of the hacking beast?

I'm usually caught up on my hacks...Luma, arm9loader...etc...but why do I still occasionally get a 'System Error Please Power Down the System' error when I try to boot GBA games? This isn't all the time but once in a blue moon. Just drives me crazy sometimes and I could never figure out why a GBA game will boot say 9 times, but then not on the 10th and I gotta restart the 3DS.

Is it the same game every time? I've personally never ran into this but you could try installing a fresh AGB firm.

Doopliss

I know the "Show GBA boot screen" Luma setting was associated with some kind of issue if you have it enabled. Can't remember what is was though and google didn't help so I'm not sure it's related to your problem

womp

Is it the same game every time? I've personally never ran into this but you could try installing a fresh AGB firm.

Nope it seems random with every GBA game I try.

I know the "Show GBA boot screen" Luma setting was associated with some kind of issue if you have it enabled. Can't remember what is was though and google didn't help so I'm not sure it's related to your problem

Nope, I have that shut off.

It doesn't just happen on my N3DS either but also my 2DS. It must be a setting somewhere. It isn't a huge deal but it is annoying overall.

n64coder

Can anyone point me at a guide or instructions for how to upgrade if you already have CFW?

The challenge I have is that there are loads of directories/files on my 3DS. Which directories/files are safe to delete? https://3ds.guide is geared towards someone who does not have CFW, not someone who is on 11.3 and wants to go to 11.4 and have the latest files for CFW.

Doopliss

Can anyone point me at a guide or instructions for how to upgrade if you already have CFW?

The challenge I have is that there are loads of directories/files on my 3DS. Which directories/files are safe to delete? https://3ds.guide is geared towards someone who does not have CFW, not someone who is on 11.3 and wants to go to 11.4 and have the latest files for CFW.

Are you using Luma3DS with A9LH? If so you should update Luma3DS (I use Luma Updater to do this easily) then you can safely install the system update through the system settings.

Joey Ravn

Banned

If you're already using Luma, you can safely update as you would do without any CFW, i.e. by going into Options and updating. Is that what you're asking?

n64coder

Are you using Luma3DS with A9LH? If so you should update Luma3DS (I use Luma Updater to do this easily) then you can safely install the system update through the system settings.

Yes and no. I'm also asking about the other applications and files such as Homebrew Launcher, JKSM, and etc. There are files at the root level of the SD card but various directories. How do you know which files are safe to remove?

I think the Nintendo 3DS directory is the only you shouldn't touch?

Tommi84

Yes and no.

Updating the firmware of the console doesn't remove those and as long as you've done all of the steps of installing cfw, you are safe. Additionally, you should also have backup of your system storage in case anything goes wrong.

Regarding the files on the card and as per 3ds.guide website:
You can remove any extra files and folders from the root of your SD card that are not in the following list:
+ 3ds
+ DCIM
+ files9
+ hblauncherloader
+ luma
+ Nintendo 3DS
+ arm9loaderhax.bin
+ boot.3dsx

Top Bottom