• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #236 - GOTY's & Reviews

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mainstream Game of the Year
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Dark Souls
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Indie Game of the Year
SpaceChem
Bastion
Triple Town
Everything went better then expected.

EDIT:
Just because you want to live in your fantasy world where Nintendo will always be portable king, doesn't mean everyone else wants to.
What the fuck is going on in here?

delta25

Banned
Oh man, seeing Ubi on that list must have some of the local PC enthusiast up in arms.

And having UC3 beat out BF3 in the visual department shows that the consoles can still produce visuals that can hang with the best, well, at least according to me and the boy's/girls over at edge :)

You most certainly are...

I don't think Skyward Sword is a bad game but saying "it's the best game I've ever played".

There's simply no place for statements like that considering the games that have come out in the last five years, let alone ten years.

You think Skyward Sword deserves game of the year accolades...awesome. It's definitely your opinion. Saying it's the best game you have ever played to simply reinforce your belief that it deserves game of the year is madness.

...and you still need to play more games.
Get off my back, man. I've been playing games for 25 years. I said it was *one* of the best games I've ever played. It doesn't take a big imagination to see how that's possible. This isn't fucking duke nukem forever that is a clear and heavy disappointment - it's a pretty damn amazing piece of work that also inspires me as a developer.

Chill.

I thought Zelda had good scores and was nominated GOTY because its impressive but after trying most if not all the Holiday games.....only Zelda resonates in my mind.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Battlefield 3 not wining best audio design and not even nominated for online is a joke.

I know things like this always pop up when we're talking about lists, nominations, awards etc etc.

But

BF3 is objectively the best and most immersive first person shooter with a modern theme. The very idea that the game, seemingly, wasn't even considering by them truly is a joke.

To people saying the cover is a joke: Are you saying that Apple didn't redefine interface, audience and distribution?

They're saying they see Apple stuff and start throwing hissy fits. I'm not exactly in love with their approach to games and such (bar the pricing, anyway) but people need to grow up, methinks.

'Core gaming' is a pun. Apples, cores, yadda yadda

Ondore

A preview on Final Fantasy XIII-2, interesting...
I'm thinking how they'll review it once out. They absolutely hated XIII and rated it with a supernegative score... 5/10.

wat

I'll allow the publisher of the year because they managed to get a 1st party lineup that didn't blow in Europe.

wrowa

This thread makes me facepalm so hard.

"My favorite game didn't won an award / wasn't mentioned, EDGE IS SO SHITTY!".

ASIS

You most certainly are...

I don't think Skyward Sword is a bad game but saying "it's the best game I've ever played".

There's simply no place for statements like that considering the games that have come out in the last five years, let alone ten years.

You think Skyward Sword deserves game of the year accolades...awesome. It's definitely your opinion. Saying it's the best game you have ever played to simply reinforce your belief that it deserves game of the year is madness. This whole, "Well it's just my opinion" thing that seems to be picking up momentum here and...well...everywhere is growing tiresome. Opinions can be quite wrong, or flatout nonsense.

...and you still need to play more games.

Ok. Your opinion is wrong.

That was fun :/

The Technomancer

A preview on Final Fantasy XIII-2, interesting...
I'm thinking how they'll review it once out. They absolutely hated XIII and rated it with a supernegative score... 5/10. Will the changes made to the formula help giving this time a more decent score?

God, I can't think at anything else than Square and FF. I'm sick lol ~

...a 5 isn't super negative from EDGE

Came for the scores, stayed for bigdaddygamebot's tears.

There's no tears.

There's some surprise. It feels like a 180 from what I'm used to getting from Edge. The Skyward Sword thing doesn't actually bother me.

The Online and Audio categories are fucking crazy town however.

Ok. Your opinion is wrong.

That was fun :/

I was expecting that. I'm pretty sure you can do better.

...a 5 isn't super negative from EDGE

This.

*Zelda*

*MK7 and SM3DL*

oztec.gif

GhaleonQ

I wonder what's the reason Jetpack Joyride is a GOTY contender? It's good, but when you compare it to many other DS/3DS/PSP titles...

*shrugs* And, I mean, Mario Kart 7's fine, but it's weird to reward a game that unambitious. Handheld game of the year 2012: Animal Crossing/Forest 3DS!

Is their 9 review for it online?

The Technomancer

*shrugs* And, I mean, Mario Kart 7's fine, but it's weird to reward a game that unambitious. Handheld game of the year 2012: Animal Crossing/Forest 3DS!

Yeah I blinked a bit at Mario Kart as well, but I haven't played it yes so I can't judge

wrowa

Or it might be just, you know, a great game.

I wasn't trying to be funny. I just wanted to see how you would be able to refute it.

There are some statements made here that are completely without a moderate level of reason.

Some are hyperbolic and you can tell that the writer was simply venting or exaggerating for the sake of being able to do so. (emboldened by the anonymity afforded by the internet...etc) Others though are quite genuine and seemingly they genuinely think "statement X" is accurate based solely upon the fact that it's their opinion and opinions can't ever be wrong...right? Because it's their opinion.

Some opinions can be "wrong".

ITT: opinions about games we love are wrong.

Nah. Just yours man. Twenty-five years of gaming and Skyward Sword is one of the best games you have ever played and it inspires you to develop games.

Not sure if I said this before...you should probably play more games.

GhaleonQ

Yeah I blinked a bit at Mario Kart as well, but I haven't played it yes so I can't judge
Or it might be just, you know, a great game.

Wow. Um, disagree with all but the verticality and coins bits. I can see why they gave it the award, now.

Like I said, wrowa, I like it. I like all Mario Kart. I just thought it peculiar given the crazy development it had and its barebones/streamlined (depending on your point-of-view) gameplay.

that's my goty 2012 :)

*laughs* I'm buying it, too, and will spend hours deciding my favorite K.K. Slider song. Yeah for hypocrisy!

Atomski

Dark Souls community dead? LOL

I can whitestone any time I please and party up. Don't give me that "dead" garbage.

Maybe its the 360 version or maybe people are coming back but When the patch hit i could not find anyone at all. Before that the game was just failures summon over and over or waiting a half an hour to get summoned by someone else.

I was pretty much done with the game at that point and havent played it since.

Still a joke calling it the best online game of 2011.

I guess they have to keep trying to justify their 10 for Skyward Sword.

Mario Kart above Mario Land for portable game is just dumb. Mario Land is amazing, Mario Kart is good.

So... Why can't Skyward Sword be one of the best games he's ever played, exactly?
I haven't played it myself, but I don't get how one poster can decide another poster's favorite games...

Zelda was the only game this year to get a 10 in Edge, therefore it's their GOTY. Makes sense to me. Sorry if you disagree
have a wrong opinion

Edge is committing credibility suicide, obviously.

Yup. They did that last month by giving Zelda a 10, and then they're doing it again by awarding it a game of the year award.

Seems they must have played the version of the game without the 20 hours of useless padding.

He's actually calling him a liar now. This thread is fucking amazing.

Sometimes GAF just befuddles the fuck out of me...

Personally I think because its too inconsistent. Dungeons are excellent but there's too many fetch/collecting quests in between that I can't see anybody having fun with.

And some people like that.
A lot of people hate grinding in RPGS. I enjoy it, myself.
I dunno... Just seems silly to get upset at someone for saying a game you didn't like can be someone else's favorite game.
I don't care for any of the GTA games, but people enjoy them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

First things first: snaking is no more.
That's the first sentence. Did the author not play the Wii version, or at least read the manual?

Karts are now customisable, and for every 50 coins you collect you’ll unlock a new chassis, wheel or glider type.
I have to collect 500 coins to get a new piece. The more you have the more you need.

the time trials, where you can save up to seven ghosts per track,
Er... you save one ghost per track and Nintendo sends you dozens all the time.

Top Bottom