• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2013

Is Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars the supposedly secret-good one?
Yeah from pretty much everyone who played it I heard it was the best game out of the 3DS launch line up not called Street Fighter 4, kinda want to play it, but may wait till after I've played Fire Emblem and need some more Strategy Gaming

I still dont know how they have the balls to put up Ghost Recon and other games like Pilot Wings for ex. that sell in stores for 5$ at their full prices, anyone that buys these should be thrown down a flight of stairs for their stupidity. I don't get digital releases. How are they supposed to take off when other than Steam, they gauge the consumer.

Hale-XF11

I still dont know how they have the balls to put up Ghost Recon and other games like Pilot Wings for ex. that sell in stores for 5$ at their full prices, anyone that buys these should be thrown down a flight of stairs for their stupidity. I don't get digital releases. How are they supposed to take off when other than Steam, they gauge the consumer.

That would be a great question for a game journalist to ask Reggie. I wonder if there are any journalists around.

backlot

That would be a great question for a game journalist to ask Reggie. I wonder if there are any journalists around.

Developers are probably the ones setting the prices. I doubt Reggie is judging every game and deciding that that Bit.Trip is only worth $15 but Ghost Recon can be $30.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The first Wario Land is garbage.

Strong level design
Collectibles
Multiple paths and a number of hidden levels
Multiple endings
Lengthy, content-filled game
Hilarious tone
Original designs
Strong graphically
Runs well (in contrast to the ghastly ghosting in SML1 and the terrible jerkiness of SML2)

DD prices are MSRP (both to protect physical retailers). MSRPs often stay high long after the product's effective life is over. Same reason why plenty of Steam games and almost every XBL/PSN full retail game are super overpriced.

Real question: Why doesn't Nintendo do more to encourage discounts, sales, or spotlighting to give legacy titles a second wind? They can supposedly support sales now, and the Wii U has had a few, and the 3DS has had a few VC titles on sale, but let's work on moving toward a system where at least as much is on sale as on XBL or PSN.

Hale-XF11

Developers are probably the ones setting the prices. I doubt Reggie is judging every game and deciding that that Bit.Trip is only worth $15 but Ghost Recon can be $30.
I know, but it would be nice to hear from Reggie if Nintendo is working to set a precedent at some point for what digital prices in their store make the most sense. It would be nice to know whether or not they're suggesting to these developers to more closely match the current going rate for the games at retail. At the very least, it would be nice to know why Reggie thinks selling Pilotwings for $40 online is reasonable compared to the going rate of roughly $10-15 for a physical copy, which you can turn around maybe make a few bucks back on in the future.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wouldn't say WL has particularly strong level design, nor would I say the core mechanics are great or fantastic, but the engine does run a ton better than SML2 and I have yet to encounter the smorgasboard of glitches that I did in SML1.

I'm only about halfway through the game, mind. Something about the slowness I just don't like, even though I really enjoyed WL3 and 4. I remember those games feeling faster and having more varied, open level design. Could be nostalgia though.

Roto13

I wouldn't say WL has particularly strong level design, nor would I say the core mechanics are great or fantastic, but the engine does run a ton better than SML2 and I have yet to encounter the smorgasboard of glitches that I did in SML1.

I'm only about halfway through the game, mind. Something about the slowness I just don't like, even though I really enjoyed WL3 and 4. I remember those games feeling faster and having more varied, open level design. Could be nostalgia though.

Hold up and jump to get around faster.

EdgeXL

Couldn't resist getting Super C. Back in the day I could beat that game without the code. Time to flex the sol's muscles.

also

Banned

Be sure to get Wario Land 2. It holds up much better and is a better game than 3.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'll get WL2 after I beat the first. Have to pace myself. :p

Hold up and jump to get around faster.

That's not really a good solution. :p

I am enjoying the game, but it's clearly little more than a solid template for the sequels.

Effect

Has Gunman Clive been freezing for anyone else? On the stage with the train boss and I keep dying. However after I die a few times it just either freezes and then starts to move like a slide show. I then have to close out the game completely and reopen it.

Roto13

Has Gunman Clive been freezing for anyone else? On the stage with the train boss and I keep dying. However after I die a few times it just either freezes and then starts to move like a slide show. I then have to close out the game completely and reopen it.

Known issue. Fight that boss with the 3D off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Turning 3D off fixes it IIRC. Apparently a fixed version of the game is waiting on Nintendo to release.

GulAtiCa

Apparently Super C on 3DS VC supports 2 player mode via download pay action. via that site you "go" to.

Perhaps there is hope for a Pokemon Red/Blue with some way of trading Pokemon? hmm

also

Banned
Apparently Super C on 3DS VC supports 2 player mode via download pay action. via that site you "go" to.

Perhaps there is hope for a Pokemon Red/Blue with some way of trading Pokemon? hmm
They will never release old mainline Pokemon games on VC. They want you to buy the newer versions and they certainly do not want to ''taint'' the Pokemon image with the archaic GB games.

OK so I have the retail version of Ghost Recon, have had it since launch but not had a chance to play it. I heard about it coming to the the eShop and I was interested. I knew it wouldn't be priced as something stupidly low as $10, $15 would have been optimistic but it was what Bit Trip Saga came out at so there could have been a chance. But I was thinking/hoping it would be somewhere along the lines of 20 to 25 bucks. I'll admit $30 is abit more then I would have priced it.

Anyway I did still go ahead and buy it, I like the fact that the game is always on the system, it was only an extra $5 over what I would have liked the game to be priced at and from all reports its a great game. I do wish they had gone like Bit Trip Saga and sold it at a lower price but I'm guessing Ubisoft thought it best to keep it high for now and maybe lower later on. Who knows.

For me, I play my 3DS on the bus on the way to work, during my breaks and at home, so its with me alot, to have all my games on the system is incredibly convenient for me, means less I have to carry around with me and for long games like Ghost Recon, Fire Emblem, Etrian Odessy or Monster Hunter it's easier to have these long games always on the system and there for whenever I want to have a quick game of them.

I agree the pricing is silly, $40 for Pilot Wings Resort when it should be a $20 at most, it would be nice if Nintendo had shown that they were more flexible with the eShop pricing, it seems to be when I game comes out its always at that price, I can't recall any of the games thave have dropped in price, Lets Golf 3D and Pyramids are still the same price as when they came out. Hopefully we start to see some of the older titles get permanent price drops one of these days.

So I'm guessing Res Evil Mercs will be at the $30 price point when it comes out as will Street Fighter 4?

They will never release old mainline Pokemon games on VC. They want you to buy the newer versions and they certainly do not want to ''taint'' the Pokemon image with the archaic GB games.
Maybe with the announcement of GBA games coming to the Wii U they are holding out for the Pokemon Red & Green Remakes on there.

Would suck though, they would make a killing on the Virtual Console if they bought them out to it.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Emulating a second controller is leagues easier than emulating a link cable.

CengizMan

I'll be visiting Two Tribes today, the developer of Toki Tori 2. If you have any questions for them, I'll ask them for you. Obviously, I'll be under NDA for Toki Tori 2, so I'm afraid I cannot spoil anything about that!

The impression that I got from the download play option is that it downloads the game to the other persons system and then they have it on there are just streaming the game from your screen and playing as if they have a second controller.

I still don't get how emulating the link cable would be such a big drama, it can't be that hard for a company the likes of Nintendo to put research into and get working. I'm sure its not easy but a company like Nintendo could be able to do it if they wanted to. As has been pointed out Link Cable functionality has been proven to work for Game Gear games and I have a hard time believing that the Link Cable for the GB games would be harder the work then a Game Gear one.

I'll be visiting Two Tribes today, the developer of Toki Tori 2. If you have any questions for them, I'll ask them for you. Obviously, I'll be under NDA for Toki Tori 2, so I'm afraid I cannot spoil anything about that!
Are they planing any original games for the 3DS eShop

M3d10n

Ubisoft just priced Ghost Recon R$ 179 (US$ 90) in the Brazil eShop, topping even Nintendo's ludicrous retail prices. It's even more ridiculous because it costs $30 in the US eShop, making it 3X as expensive in the Brazil eShop for no justifiable reason at all.

Bad Ubisoft, bad. Third parties should be pricing their games lower than Nintendo, not higher. Are they trying to make the physical version look like a deal or something?

Ubisoft just priced Ghost Recon R$ 179 (US$ 90) in the Brazil eShop, topping even Nintendo's ludicrous retail prices. It's even more ridiculous because it costs $30 in the US eShop, making it 3X as expensive in the Brazil eShop for no justifiable reason at all.

Bad Ubisoft, bad. Third parties should be pricing their games lower than Nintendo, not higher. Are they trying to make the physical version look like a deal or something?

"Solution" for you if you're not aware, is to use the Canada shop.

How much does it cost at retail in Brazil, at launch and now?

M3d10n

"Solution" for you if you're not aware, is to use the Canada shop.

How much does it cost at retail in Brazil, at launch and now?

I'm aware of the Canada eShop. I also generally pretend local retail doesn't exist and import directly, which is always cheaper anyway.

Usually 3DS games are sold by R$ 149 and almost never drop in price. The launch games prices are all over the place because many stores imported them directly back them and they simply let them sit in the shelves for years hoping for some unaware sucker to buy them.

I just looked in a few different online retail sites and GR actually costs R$ 179 in one, R$ 199 in other and R$ 99 in the last one (but that one is out of stock). Maybe Ubisoft just googled the game in Brazilian onlie retail sites to decide how to price them.

It's funny because I searched for "ghost recon" and among the many results the 3DS game was always the most expensive one. This one big issue with Nintendo over here: you can often find PS3 and 360 games for cheaper than 3DS (and DS) games, because they actually drop in price more often. We even have cases like FIFA and PES which are launched at lower prices right from the start.

cacildo

1) how does that work?

2) theres no official way to play 2 player VC games on the 3ds?

I only have one VC game with 2 player option (GB tetris), but come to think of it, nintendo should really work on some way to play it 2 players.

That we shouldn't have to tolerate and even give Nintendo money for inferior versions.

I understand but for me it is just not worth getting bothered about it in the circumstances. Thirty pence is throwaway money even for a cheap arse gafer like me. If I was paying the full price i.e. what they will be priced at when this offer ends, which will be £4.99 for Balloon Flight I believe, then I would certainly not be so phlegmatic about it.

I wish you well with your petition though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ask them if they'd consider a cross-play 3ds version.

donny2112

I only have one VC game with 2 player option (GB tetris),

Where's the 2-player option on that?

Edit:
On Super C download play, a new option appears on the VC menu to "Start Download Play."

SuperC_VCscreen.jpg

GulAtiCa

I haven't played the game, but isn't that exactly what Super C is doing? After all, it's 2 different 3DS units playing a streamed game of Super C. Either way, the original game has been modified, I'm sure thye could do the same for Pokemon.

Edit: I forgot it was a NES game, there was no link cable. But it's still being modified anyways. So I'm sure the same could happen with Pokemon.

Madao

WL1 is not garbage but all its sucessors surpass it.

WL3 > WL2 > WL4 > WL1

also, WL3 feels more like a Metroid game than a WL.

also

Banned
I understand but for me it is just not worth getting bothered about it in the circumstances. Thirty pence is throwaway money even for a cheap arse gafer like me. If I was paying the full price i.e. what they will be priced at when this offer ends, which will be £4.99 for Balloon Flight I believe, then I would certainly not be so phlegmatic about it.

I wish you well with your petition though.
But this will most likely affect every single PAL VC release, so unless you plan to only buy (some of) the discounted games this will end up affecting you.
Thanks for the wishes. and please sign it if you haven't already.

WL3 > WL2 > WL4 > WL1

W3 is kind of lame compared to 2:
-Wario starts off as a weakling; he can't even pick up enemies, swim or butt stomp and his jumping ability is limited
-you have to replay a level at least 4 times to get all the treasure and find all the music coins. Each key and chest is hidden in a different part of the level but you will still be retreading a fair amount, especially if you are going for the coins.
-lame reward for 100% completion

If Wario was fully upgraded from the start and you could get all 4 chests at once it would have been a much better game. Now it just feels like they artificially limited Wario's powers just to make the game longer. It's still a good game but I prefer W2 much more.

MarkusRJR

How much longer do we have to wait until Lost Winds becomes available on the Wii Shop Channel on Wii U? It sucks having an empty slot in my otherwise organized SD card menu. OCD I know, but I'm just curious.

EDIT: I guess I'll join in on the Wario Land fun...

WL4 > WL2 > WL1 > WL: SI > WL3

Kokonoe

Banned

WL3 > WL2 > WL4 > WL1

WL4 > WL2 > WL1 > WL3

Wario Land 3 just is a completely different game and I personally feel it doesn't keep the fun of Wario nor does do well with it's MetroidWario gameplay. Getting rid of Wario's default moveset he's used in the last two games and having to unlock it is rather odd and I find to be boring.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
WL1 > WL:SI > WL4 > VBWL > WL2 > WL3

For me. Wario Land 1 had such a different feel (aside from VB WL) than the rest of the series, but I enjoy the look of the game quite a bit. The Mario Worldish overworld and secret paths are great. Having replayed it on the 3DS recently, I can confirm my love for it. Shake It! is pretty close though. It perfects the invincible Wario formula in my mind, and it's pretty.. and it has one of the best soundtracks on the Wii.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
WL1 > WL:SI > WL4 > VBWL > WL2 > WL3

For me. Wario Land 1 had such a different feel (aside from VB WL) than the rest of the series, but I enjoy the look of the game quite a bit. The Mario Worldish overworld and secret paths are great. Having replayed it on the 3DS recently, I can confirm my love for it. Shake It! is pretty close though. It perfects the invincible Wario formula in my mind, and it's pretty.. and it has one of the best soundtracks on the Wii.

I really liked Shake It but the platforming and puzzles were very bland. Kind of Good Feel incarnate.

also

Banned
I would like to play Wario Land 4 but I missed the ambassador program. Hopefully Nintendo brings GBA VC to the 3DS soon. It would be kind of ridiculous if Wii U got it first.

Top Bottom