• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Finally picked this up and it's been a blast. Pretty much exclusively played 2v2 with a friend so far but am planning on trying out ranked soon. I assume pro controller is the way to go for competitive? Motion is really fun but it definitely feels like I'm losing a lot of time on inputs
It seems there can be competitive players using motion controls:

https://youtu.be/-GTDDoM2o_k
https://youtu.be/zJkHMnvHerY
https://youtu.be/7nvJWHhit8Q?t=20m24s サンド, BLUE, Raygio use Motion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKoh2chgC3Y リーバルトルネード!, ネホソハホリ ninjara, ぼろんじ ninjara  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HicrvjOKvtw ナーチアリテイ・F5 (2:33) sen (24:50)
https://youtu.be/3nQN-u-rSFk (1:08:59) むらいしんじゃ Kid Cobra, エニグマちゃん_ŇT
https://youtu.be/Yf_161PnLYM (35:33) Blue うソダムしばり ミチノフソフソ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1HfTaXObHw

For example Purunga won the Tokyo Grand Prix and he is a Thumbs Up user and i would say he did so against high level rivals:

https://youtu.be/4jGTIoWWoU8?t=2h37m14s

Same goes for Junia:
https://youtu.be/egZPTd5hX7k?t=1h51m4s

The skill ceiling in ARMS gets a bit higher when using motion controls. Fighting games using the molds stablished by Street Fighter (2D) and Virtua Fighter (3D) tend to incorporate long string of inputs as a way to increase execution demands in high level play. Since these doesn't exist in ARMS as it has a more straight forward move set, the execution demand comes in the form of motion controls. Just imagine the amount of preasure in high level play that is required from a player that executes a more complex motion than just pressing a button.

czk51

Played a little last night, was good fun to be back into it (been a while) and pretty exciting to see an event. Only had time to reach rank 8 but will try some more tonight.

Here's the video for ARMS Japan Grand Prix Tournament:

https://youtu.be/tjk2vd8gFE4?t=2h18m

The ceremony for the finals starts at 2 hours 18 minutes. However, the previous part of the video is super interesting still, because it decides the last spot in the final bracket.

Before the finals, suggest looking at this fight of day 2:

https://youtu.be/tjk2vd8gFE4?t=55m

DNAMan vs Ninjara, it's a very special fight. Althought not the final fight of day 2 this fought would have probably decided the winner of that tournament.

This was a gathering organized by Youtuber "Porunga" (ポルンガ) with more than 200 members of the Japanese ARMS community of varied skill levels. More than a 100 matches were fought, with the highlight been the match between the Japan Grand Prix champion "Pega" against the DNAMan expert "Uron" (うろん). Here's a link to that fight at 09:54 minutes:

https://youtu.be/k5m7cABGuSQ?t=9h53m36s

The video is more than 10 hours long so there might be other encounters for ARMS followers that might capture their attention.

NintendoSwitch_ARMS_Presentation2017_scrn01_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

PEGA Japan's champion vs Japan Grand Prix Finalists:

im sincerely glad someone enjoys these videos. Here are some compilations of interesting matches:

Cojora:

ARMS Japan Grand Prix Tokyo:

Uron:

Watched them all. Good stuff. Are these high level players? I saw second Min-Min in the first video, and AkiGames from the last video using Ram-rams. For myself, I find it difficult to win against competent people with auto targeting arms that you can't steer. Feel like it helps immensely to have Arms with good control, and/or area of effect, to best make reads and set up traps.

I'm not very knowledgeable about high level Arms play though. Maybe I just don't know how to properly use Ram-rams. Those two Ram-ram users from the vids lost their games. They tried making several punishes with a ram-ram, but the hits frequently failed to land. I'm not aware if there's a way to influence the arm to change it's trajectory in any way to try and catch an opponents evasive action.

Anyway, I'm very excited for the EVO ARMS tournament this weekened. Hoping to see some great matches! Gonna be cheering for my fellow Min-Min players.

Last edited:
Watched them all. Good stuff. Are these high level players? I saw second Min-Min in the first video, and AkiGames from the last video using Ram-rams. For myself, I find it difficult to win against competent people with auto targeting arms that you can't steer. Feel like it helps immensely to have Arms with good control, and/or area of effect, to best make reads and set up traps.

Anyway, I'm very excited for the EVO ARMS tournament this weekened. Hoping to see some great matches! Gonna be cheering for my fellow Min-Min players.
Well i would say they are competent players. Don't know if you realized but the players in those videos are using the Thumbs Up Grip which is the Motion Controls method.

It's sort of a philosofical stance, ARMS is what it is because it was conceived from the goal to create a motion controlled fighting game, so it's purest from of play is when it's played in that way.

Talking about the fighters in those videos and EVO, out of them, Cojora reached top 8 and ranked 7th. He lost a very close match:

A shame since that 1 vascillation he made at the last moment could have end up in a sure victory... had he made 1 single punch.

Last edited:
This is a pleasure because it's so rare and interesting:

i say is interesting not just because we can see 2 expereinced ARMS players having some good matches in an atypical way, but also what it means in terms of interfaces and videogame control methods.

It's kind of funny to think about that we basically have had 3Dimensional controllers since the Wii days yet the industry never did much with the concept. Seeing this applied to a very traditional genre such as fighting games and with good results it's kind of dream like.

Of course these days we have VR and the controls for these headsets took of were the Wii left of yet still there's nothing quite like ARMS in the sense that is applied to a very traditional genre like a fighter. Also the setup is a bit more flexible: no need to strap a mask to the face and the controls work with athletic gesturing or with subtle movements while maintaining precision in both scenarios.

Now all we need is all importatnt ARMS tournaments adopt a "Free" control bracket as well as a dedicated Thumbs Up Grip branch to properly show of the game.

Last edited:
i think this is a very sweet video for a multitude of reasons:

It's a friendly gathering that took place ater Japan EVO featuring ARMS Players from Japan, Europe and America. It's quite interesting to see how wide is the age range of players in the competitive ARMS community.

Some nice matches, healthy atmosphere and overall good fun time to enjoy.

Another post EVO Japan video featuring friendly matches of a gathering of players that participated in the tournament:

i think it's worth the time to see these 3 matches, specially the last one. Good level play with Dr. Coyle, Twintelle, DNAMan and Kid Cobra.

Last edited:
This is an OK fight between Kid Cobra and Ribbon Girl users:

Of special note is the Clapback use. It's a really entertaining ARM to watch when used properly.

A sparring sesion with various fights featuring DNAMan, it starts at 01:11:22:

It's incredible the amount of attack angles the game allows, the colition detection in this game is really flexible and accurate.

Also in the very same video at time stamp 02:27:34 there are some really interesting Kid Cobra matches featuring heavy use of Clap Back which is a super interesting ARM to see when employed properly:

Last edited:
Spring Fist Tournament.

In the next couple of hours there will be a live broadcast of this tournament that takes place in Japan. These are Japanese times:

Preliminary (10: 30 ~ 13: 00)

After semi-finals (15: 00-16: 30)

Last edited:
Well made character guide:

Short and to the point, in this case is centered around Max Brass but there's are also vaiours other characters covered in the same channel.

GLOBAL TEST PUNCH IN COMING:
DZUatgzX4AAP7Ds.jpg:large

Of course online ranked is the most interesting part of the game but for anyone on the fence or wanting to give the game a second chance, here's another opportunity.

Last edited:
ARMS 5.3 PATCH NOTES:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26377

Version 5.3

• New “Dashboard” feature added.
  • Check out the latest rankings, and tons of useful videos!
  • From Dashboard you can see the following.
    • Latest Worldwide & Regional Rankings
    • Party Crash Ranking by time slot
    • ARMS “Tips & Techniques” video collection
    • “Fighter Focus” video collection with tips for each fighter
    • “Tournament Clips” to so you can learn from the best
  • 15 Images added to Gallery.
  • Korean language is now supported.
  • Adjusted abilities of some fighters and ARMS as follows.

• Fighters / Arms Adjustments
    • Ribbon Girl Freshening up lightens your heart and your feet. Ah, Spring! Increased air dash movement speed.
      But it feels like her feet don’t quite touch the ground properly… Decreased dash movement speed.
    • Misango Increased rush gauge fill rate when in red and blue spirit form to be equal to that of other characters.
    • Coolerang Increased extension speed. Increased retraction speed.
    • Lokjaw Increased retraction speed. Fixed issue where under certain conditions ARM would not recover for an extended time.
    • Scorpio Increased charge attack damage. Decreased retraction speed.
    • Skully Increased charge attack damage. Decreased homing.
    • Glusher Increased charge attack damage.
    • Parabola Increased expansion rate while extending. No change to expansion during charge.
    • Nade Decreased retraction speed.
    • Chakram Decreased charge attack speed.

Last edited:
Didn't realize Nintendo uploaded the US & Canada ARMS tournament in their official youtube channel. Here's the finals but the rest of the torunament is also in there:

Really like to share videos from this Japanese player. Is rather interesting when the hands position and movement are shown during the matches. In this case he's holding the controllers almost horizontally:

Migu

Got the game yesterday and I like it a lot - it was my main reason for getting a Switch actually. Played a couple of online matches, it was fun! I like how the party mode works by mixing up fights between various players. My last online game was SFV: never got a good match-up as a scrub. Here's it's fun while getting the hang of the controls.

I'm playing with motion controls and I will keep at it!

Thanks for keeping this thread alive Refreshment.01!

cryptoadam

Banned
ARMS CUMULATIVE SALES:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

As of March 31 2018 total sales for the game amount to 1.85 Million making the 6th best selling game among Switch titles. For comparison another experimental fighting game (at the time) Smash Bros 64, ended up selling 5.5 Million units.

I think ARMS was a big success for Nintendo as a new IP. Hopefully their will be an ARMS 2 announced in a year or two. With Smash coming out they will have to give it the spotlight, but ARMS 100% deserves a sequel.

Its a very NEW Nintendo style game, like Splatoon. They took some risks with the gameplay and designs and IMO it really paid off. It would be nice if they went with a more GaaS approach, but it got a lot of great support. I think they could of squeezed more out of it by having more updates, and even a possible paid expansion. But I get from Nintendo's POV its going to be all about Smash for the next while.

Got the game yesterday and I like it a lot - it was my main reason for getting a Switch actually. Played a couple of online matches, it was fun! I like how the party mode works by mixing up fights between various players. My last online game was SFV: never got a good match-up as a scrub. Here's it's fun while getting the hang of the controls.

I'm playing with motion controls and I will keep at it!
Just be patient and have a little dedication as Motion Controls can be very rewarding and frankly i would say these method of play is the actual "High Level" for this game. We have seen various Thumbs Up Grip players reaching the top in world wide rankings so it is evident one can be competitive with this setup.
I think ARMS was a big success for Nintendo as a new IP. Hopefully their will be an ARMS 2 announced in a year or two. With Smash coming out they will have to give it the spotlight, but ARMS 100% deserves a sequel.

Its a very NEW Nintendo style game, like Splatoon. They took some risks with the gameplay and designs and IMO it really paid off. It would be nice if they went with a more GaaS approach, but it got a lot of great support. I think they could of squeezed more out of it by having more updates, and even a possible paid expansion. But I get from Nintendo's POV its going to be all about Smash for the next while.
Well Mr. cryptoadam i would like to share that optimism regarding the game. But i don't think Nintendo managed this game correctly and i think they clearly don't view it as a succes, but not as failure either. Some points to consider:
  • ARMS was positioned just a month apart from 2 already stablished franchizes, btw Mario Kart and Splatton are it's biggest money machines from last generation.
  • Nintendo has made official bundles for various games yet non for ARMS. Given ARMS was a june 2017 release and the Switch was supply constrained at the time, an ARMS bundle would have been a perfect way to promote the game that was the actual new IP and needed that push.
  • ARMS genre makes it a bit harder sale. This colludes with other factors such as a consumer base that is conditioned/trained to give precedent to perceived content than to value the overall experience. And comparativly speaking ARMS offer less content than other traditional fighting games.
  • So ARMS was also in the content sense "rushed", the Splatton model Nintendo wanted to apply had bigger obstacles given it's genre, so it didn't end up being as effective.
  • The above encompasses the lack of "single player story mode" which in practical terms is a non issue for a game that mainly focuses in competitve play but psychologicaly it changes the perception of value of it.
  • About what Nintendo thinks of ARMS. Well ARMS "seems" not much of a presense for Nintendo publically. For example, We see various advertisemnets like "the play together" commercials were various Switch games are showcased: Mario Kart, Splatoon and Mario Odyssey. 0 screen time given to ARMS. Also, the Nintendo centered press has been let to forgot about the game.
  • Out of those 1.85 million copies most of them were front loaded in the release period. Over a million were overshipped, after the first weeks the sales slowed down.
Considering that ARMS is probably the best showcase in terms of the Switch as a platform and how original and high quality the game is, 2 million sold eventually is a dissapointment for everyone involved.

With all that said Kosuke Yabuki has been a saint. i haven't seen any other Nintendo developer in recent memory giving so much of it's soul to a game. This is one of the main reasons the franchize could have another shot. Let's hope he is in good terms with Furukawa else things could look rather greem for it's chances to become a franchize.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Just be patient and have a little dedication as Motion Controls can be very rewarding and frankly i would say these method of play is the actual "High Level" for this game. We have seen various Thumbs Up Grip players reaching the top in world wide rankings so it is evident one can be competitive with this setup.

Well Mr. cryptoadam i would like to share that optimism regarding the game. But i don't think Nintendo managed this game correctly and i think they clearly don't view it as a succes, but not as failure either. Some points to consider:
  • ARMS was positioned just a month apart from 2 already stablished franchizes, btw Mario Kart and Splatton are it's biggest money machines from last generation.
  • Nintendo has made official bundles for various games yet non for ARMS. Given ARMS was a june 2017 release and the Switch was supply constrained at the time, an ARMS bundle would have been a perfect way to promote the game that was the actual new IP and needed that push.
  • ARMS genre makes it a bit harder sale. This colludes with other factors such as a consumer base that is conditioned/trained to give precedent to perceived content than to value the overall experience. And comparativly speaking ARMS offer less content than other traditional fighting games.
  • So ARMS was also in the content sense "rushed", the Splatton model Nintendo wanted to apply had bigger obstacles given it's genre, so it didn't end up being as effective.
  • The above encompasses the lack of "single player story mode" which in practical terms is a non issue for a game that mainly focuses in competitve play but psychologicaly it changes the perception of value of it.
  • About what Nintendo thinks of ARMS. Well ARMS "seems" not much of a presense for Nintendo publically. For example, We see various advertisemnets like "the play together" commercials were various Switch games are showcased: Mario Kart, Splatoon and Mario Odyssey. 0 screen time given to ARMS. Also, the Nintendo centered press has been let to forgot about the game.
  • Out of those 1.85 million copies most of them were front loaded in the release period. Over a million were overshipped, after the first weeks the sales slowed down.
Considering that ARMS is probably the best showcase in terms of the Switch as a platform and how original and high quality the game is, 2 million sold eventually is a dissapointment for everyone involved.

With all that said Kosuke Yabuki has been a saint. i haven't seen any other Nintendo developer in recent memory giving so much of it's soul to a game. This is one of the main reasons the franchize could have another shot. Let's hope he is in good terms with Furukawa else things could look rather greem for it's chances to become a franchize.

You seem very knowledgeble in regards to ARMS, but I feel nearly 2 million for a fighting game (and a new IP) are very good numebrs. As well in Japan its one of Nintendo's top sellers, just below 1-2 switch on the charts (ironic how much that game was bagged on yet it turned out to be a big seller).

I agree it hasn't gotten as much presence as some of the other big hitters, but its a new IP. I don't think Nintendo is going to forget about it and they will revist it at some point. It depends how much focus is placed on Smash. But I am willing to bet there will be an ARMS 2. It might end up on the Switch 2 or whatever but I think the franchise and its characters will live on.

Players familiar with the Smash Scene might be aware of the name "Abadango". In this video we can see this player enjoying some friendly ARMS matches:

He hasn't delved much in the competitive scene although he was part of various of the first official tournaments.

These guides are a good way for anyone that has even a slight curiosity to know how much depth ARMS can have for people that are willing to invest themsleves into it. Here's a Kid Cobra one, enjoy:

ISS

Last edited:
Top Bottom