• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any gov't attempt to spy through Kinect

MormaPope

Banned
blackmaneatingpopcorn1.gif

I hope you are 15, that exact phrase was used in the Communisms countries. Don't you worry about the secret police, the abuse or the tortures if you have nothing to do.

Console wars has reached a new level: I don't care to live in 1984 as long my beloved company wins the holy war.

No, I'm 32. I used to be in the military where you have no privacy whatsoever. It wasn't a big deal. I don't have an irrational fear of people spying on me. If I did, I wouldn't be online and I wouldn't have a cell phone. There are probably going to be 30+ million people using the Xbox One at some point. The government couldn't watch everyone 24/7 if they wanted to. I'd be more worried about Sony's data security than the Kinect spying on me.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
wait what is working again him ?

That you want think MS is scheming with the government to spying on you?

Or that they are scheming to sell pictures of you in your underwear to the bog evil cooperation for advertising data ?

lol

I don't care what Ms is scheming. They don't need to scheme anything. What I care about is that some dude working for them accessing and spying on me while I am under the assumption that I have privacy.

It really isn't that difficult people.

Because life 3,000 years ago is the same as it is today.
No, I'm 32. I used to be in the military where you have no privacy whatsoever. It wasn't a big deal. I don't have an irrational fear of people spying on me. If I did, I wouldn't be online and I wouldn't have a cell phone. There are probably going to be 30+ million people using the Xbox One at some point. The government couldn't watch everyone 24/7 if they wanted to. I'd be more worried about Sony's data security than the Kinect spying on me.

Tell me how MS is feeling.

Kyon

Banned

A damn joke

McDougles

Well, that solves the "idiot or paid poster" question for me.

Oersted

THE LINE: 30 yrs / $1

Taking bets separately or as a package.

I´m in tears. This is poetry.

Good luck with that.

Should not have mentioned it.

Exactly. All they did by putting out was reinstate that it's a potential concern. Isn't it standard PR to ignore questions that you don't want people to think are real concerns?

And good luck indeed. If the NSA comes calling, MS is going to roll over without a fight. MS is an American company, on American soil, and has the US government as a huge contract. Do you really think it's going really going to sour that relationship? Even if it was willing, if a court hands over a warrant, nobody at MS is going to be willing to go to jail over something like this.

Vashetti

Banned
I said this in the previous Xbox One/Kinect/NSA thread and I'll say it again:

Those who are saying "you have nothing to fear, if you have nothing to hide" - do you use curtains in your home?

The writing is all over the wall for Microsoft to drop the required connect, just as it was for dropping the DRM.

Hope they come to their senses.

There is a lot of truth in this post. Not that it matters, as perception is inevitably reality.

pixlexic

Banned
I don't care what Ms is scheming. They don't need to scheme anything. What I care about is that some dude working for them accessing and spying on me while I am under the assumption that I have privacy.

It really isn't that difficult people.

No body cares about you unless you are a serious threat. At that point there would be a lot ways to keep up with you than just listening in on your phone calls and skype.

I make phone calls...and send email...and use credit cards...and search the web...and am seen by closed-circuit cameras ALL DAY LONG. If governments want information on me they will access these. Yes, this is a gaming site, so people are singling out Kinect, but the reality is we are living in a world where we are being monitored when we use technology, or not. Governments can track and monitor you by satellite if they want. I am not going to stop buying cell phones, laptops, an Xbox One / PS4, etc., because I am afraid of being monitored. And I don't have the energy to get angry at Apple, Google, my ISP provider, my cable company, my cell phone provider, Visa, Bank of America, MS / Sony, and the Mayor of the city I live in for allowing the government to have access to my information if they deem it necessary. Technology allows the government to easily track bad guys which is a good thing; the flip side is they could also track me if they wanted. Some things you just have to accept

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I feel sorry for people who live their lives in fear. If you guys care so much about your privacy, throw away your computers and cell phones and go live off the grid in the woods somewhere.

Nah, I just won't buy the luxury entertainment device from the company that has demonstrated boundless contempt for its non-NSA customers.

Dark Rider

so how do we know the number of attempts the gov will make? and number of battles you did for the consumer? and the number of times you was successful in preventing the gov from spying? and what can we use to validate your data to us after you provide the answers to all of those questions?

No it is not.
You cannot compare an illegal breach of security with the legalized breach of privacy.
The only thing is common is that both are about private data - everything else is different.

The difference is that your Sony data was accessible by criminals -- twice. So far that hasn't been the case with Microsoft.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

You know what? I used to be in the military too, andyou are right, there is no privacy. And I am glad I am out of it.

I cannot fathom why you think the issue is not relevant. It is not about Microsoft's 'scheme', it is not about whether then can spy on everybody at the same time. The problem is that they can.

Just imagine some perv putting cameras in every bathroom in the world. He cannot look at all of it at one time, but he can choose to look at any of it, and that doesn't help the person he is spying on.

I can tell.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
No body cares about you unless you are a serious threat. At that point there would be a lot ways to keep up with you than just listening in on your phone calls and skype.

Not true, they have admitted to using 3-hop and 4-hop analysis.

You go to a ballgame with a guy, who spoke to another guy, who emailed a guy who they have an interest in.

They now have interest in you.

This has all been revealed already as part of the PRISM exposure.

MormaPope

Banned
Surprised no one brought this up, but the Xbone could potentially aid the NSA by getting info on citizens from other countries besides the United States. The legality of the info that can be received might not be tied to nationality, the NSA could potentially trade or give info to other country agencies or keep it for themselves.

Basically, the Xbone could be a global net instead of one tied just to the United States.

pixlexic

Banned
You know what? I used to be in the military too, andyou are right, there is no privacy. And I am glad I am out of it.

I cannot fathom why you think the issue is not relevant. It is not about Microsoft's 'scheme', it is not about whether then can spy on everybody at the same time. The problem is that they can.

Just imagine some perv putting cameras in every bathroom in the world. He cannot look at all of it at one time, but he can choose to look at any of it, and that doesn't help the person he is spying on.

Just imagine someone kidnapped your daughter.. and was found and caught quickly through cam surveillance of multiple suspected people.

it goes both ways.

But the NSA isn't a "perv". They're looking for very specific things. They aren't watching you with their pants around their ankles waiting for something good to happen.

Grimhammer

Neo Member
Well....here's a thought. How about providing us with verifiable evidence of historical facts that prove MS, your the champion of consumer rights you now present yourselves to be?!

*crickets**tumble weed*

This is truth. How many times in our lives do we wish we knew something for 100%?
Did that waitress spit in my food? Is my girl cheating on me...with my sister? Lol

Truth is we know MS is full of it! We have the evidence. We even know they are liars. Full on fabricators of facts.

So I ask you....for every fanboy attack on MS...should we harbor the old feelings of Sony vs MS? Or just stand as gamers united?

markot

Banned

When their criteria is are we 50.01% sure he is not an American citizen, and they do the 3 degrees from kevin bacon to decide if someone is a risk... then yeah, its not irrational to fear that innocent parties will get swept up in their drag net.

Almighty

Sorry Microsoft, but I don't believe you. I don't have faith in any major company for that matter. Though I am more worried about them spying on me for advertisement related stuff then for the government. Though if that was the only thing about the One I was worried about I would still probably get one. As it stands right now it is probably not even in the top five.

Freki

The difference is that your Sony data was accessible by criminals -- twice. So far that hasn't been the case with Microsoft.

"My" Sony data wasn't - I got my PS3 1-2 years ago in addition to my 360 ;-) - But that's not the point.

The difference is:
Sony made a mistake (granted - they shouldn't have made it) - but there was no intent behind the security breaches - it was negligent at worst
Microsoft on the other hand delibarately builds in attack vectors into an entertainment system which are not neccessary but can easily be abused by the government.

pixlexic

Banned
Not true, they have admitted to using 3-hop and 4-hop analysis.

You go to a ballgame with a guy, who spoke to another guy, who emailed a guy who they have an interest in.

They now have interest in you.

This has all been revealed already as part of the PRISM exposure.

there are BILLIONS of people in the world. even if they tried they could never just randomly watch everyone. You have to be connected to a suspected group of people

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Surprised no one brought this up, but the Xbone could potentially aid the NSA in other countries besides the United States. The legality of the info that can be received might not be tied to nationality, the NSA could potentially trade or give info to other country agencies or keep it for themselves.

Basically, the Xbone could be a global net instead of one tied just to the United States.

It's a very interesting point because all of the weak protections FISA has for PRISM and similar programs are for US citizens, everyone else is fair game without need for warrants or any of the (admittedly weak) accountablility.

there are BILLIONS of people in the world. even if they tried they could never just randomly watch everyone. You have to be connected to a suspected group of people

It has nothing to do with being randomly spied on.

It has everything to do with giving them the ability to do so for whatever reason.

Kindly point out where Sony has fed information to the NSA.

They haven't that we are aware of, but we also weren't aware of MS, Apple, Google, and others having done it until that kid told everyone. However, I could make a strong argument that Sony has " demonstrated boundless contempt for its non-NSA customers."

Top Bottom