• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

I don't mind it actually, so far all 3 of my opponents appear to be mature adults. Nowadays that's more important to me than winning or losing lol

Got plenty of time to get there anyways. also i think I need 40 wins for 8% and jackie robinson so this is what I got to grind now

was kicking ass the first game now I can't drive in shit :( 14 hits and only 2 runs

Both my losses today have come from Kenley Jansen blown saves and my 2nd basemen failing to tag a runner that was beaten by 2 seconds in the bottom of the 9th

Finally facing that AL Central reward card that is Kluber. This guy is a bitch to face. good hard movement

SMFH. Another blown save with Jansen

I really enjoy it but this game is flawed as hell. A few big ones for me:

1. Fielding camera in RTTS. Absolutely unbearable shit. Can't see the ball in the air and haven't a clue how to judge it in the air so you never know when to leap for it if it's coming near the wall.

2. Having almost no minor leaguers is fine cos of the roster updates by people, but not having the real salaries completely ruins Franchise mode. I don't care if they're not allowed by the MLBPA, it's absolutely unacceptable in a sports game to not have the actual salaries. I'd prefer all fake players names and proper salaries tbh because I just want to play a proper franchise. 30 team control is a bad workaround.

3. Partly related to above, but morale is badly implemented and can't be turned off, which means on the rosters where salaries are edited to correct amounts there's a lot of boosts and minuses on players.

4. Sliders are necessary for certain things. Team defense regularly makes silly errors in comparison to the computer AI which nails everything apart from wild pitches.

5. Player stamina is completely broken, which has been acknowledged by SDS. Also pitchers regularly get pulled far too early.

I just got complete game shutout by Max Scherzer who allowed 3 hits....but got 0 strikeouts

Fuck

New ticket player tomorrow is a 98 diamond........

My bullpen is such a disaster. I've gone on a streak but every single game, my relievers are taking turns giving up home runs and base hits and scaring the shit out of me. I just got into a game against someone who was 20-7, surely they were already in WS, he just quit out of the game immediately and gave me a free win to put me at 817. I guess he was tanking his rating. I'll take it!

Cody f'n Bellinger man! Guy is a beast! I have played with guys with 90+ power and don't get results. But for some reason, the swing they gave him just seems like it elevates the ball better than most power hitters.

Hits a HR every 7 AB.

DFQyk7bUQAAmvL5

They just added a bunch of vs CPU missions. Grand prize is a 2009 99 Chase Utley.
There's also a 1999 95 Omar Vizquel, and a 2010 96 Adam Wainwright. Along with 5 more new golds and 1 silver....

I already beat all teams 3 times. Now I have to do this shit again?

These rewards suck. Even the Wainwright looks meh. Will pass on these and go play games with my new GOAT Cliff Floyd!

Yeah man, I'm not to hot on any of the content. Im not really interested in the WS rewards this season either. Think my goal now is getting Trout. The most expensive card in the game.

I kinda think they released too many diamonds for free this year

I'm getting tired of the game too, I may call it quits and move on to my backlog soon

I kinda think they released too many diamonds for free this year

I'm getting tired of the game too, I may call it quits and move on to my backlog soon

I hear ya with getting tired of the game. I have a ton of games in my backlog that I have been neglecting all summer, but I am dangerously close to putting down MLB as well.

Yeah man, I'm not to hot on any of the content. Im not really interested in the WS rewards this season either. Think my goal now is getting Trout. The most expensive card in the game.

I think Harper might have overtaken him. Harper got a boost to 96 today.

They have given out diamonds more easily, but I don't mind. People who don't want to drop money at the beginning deserve a fair chance at building a lineup that can compete, so at least they've given that.

I'll keep playing this game, just not as heavily as I did before. I like playing these games as long as my opponent isn't a dick.

I played the Show 16 all the way up to the night before the release of 17. This game, for the most part, helps my overactive brain so I keep coming back.

I decided to put my sweet sweet Miguel Cabrera AS card on the market. I need stubs to get me those bases loaded packs. And I have the urge to open a 20. God help me.

Just got into a game. Was down 4-3 in the 5th inning when I got "A network error has occurred"

Gave me a loss >:-(

I just got into a game against someone who's currently ranked #3 this season....but it was clearly laggy so he offered a FQ

I happily accepted

Won a game at 881 against someone who was 835. Thought I could get 19 points. I got 17 to get to 898 -______-

Don't buy the bases loaded packs, I got 1 silver out of 5 packs :|

Yeah I sold AS Cabrera to get all those and a bunch of 20 packs. My heart was broken :(

Sold Kershaw for 190k. Decided to do the Mets collection. Get Thor back which pitched great for me and I get 99 David Wright.

You know who is the perfect pitcher for you? Luis Tiant. Finally faced him last night. Wow he was tough to hit. I won because I finally got him to crack in the 7th inning and then I won late against his bullpen.

But he has a 90 mph and 80 mph slider which looks like it's coming from randy Johnson after you've seen the curveball and knuckle. Definitely one of those players who throws you totally off balance while having a high h/9 and k/9

Also Mike trout is worth that high price. This guy is just ridiculous

You know who is the perfect pitcher for you? Luis Tiant. Finally faced him last night. Wow he was tough to hit. I won because I finally got him to crack in the 7th inning and then I won late against his bullpen.

But he has a 90 mph and 80 mph slider which looks like it's coming from randy Johnson after you've seen the curveball and knuckle. Definitely one of those players who throws you totally off balance while having a high h/9 and k/9

Also Mike trout is worth that high price. This guy is just ridiculous

Honestly, I want Trout but I'm still cursed at 2nd and 3rd.

Kinsler .250
Bell .240
Zobrist .200
POTM Jose .230
Miggy .280 but no power
D. Murphy .260

Rest of my lineup hits over .300. Plus, I have been facing LHP a lot lately and David Wright seems like the man for the job. I have faced him a few times and he can crush the ball.

PS. I hate Lou Brock. He is my fuckng nemesis.

PSS

Yeah, he looks good.

2gnVKfF.png

Finished conquest for the third time last night chasing epic quests. Didn't even get a gold player from the 10 pack. 1 gold sponsor and 1 gold equipment. -_- got the All-Star 89 Ubaldo Jimenez through the quest at least. My new #5 pitcher.

Also, I thought about Tiant but first, I don't want to spend that much on a card that was going for 70k it's first week. 2nd, I'm not the biggest fan of knuckleballers, and 3rd I get a rotation guy and hopefully a starting 3B.

I could never have a Mets bastard on my team.

As for 2nd and 3rd...you got Seager right? Or is he your SS? Seager is the man.

I ultimately decided to start using my AS Cano at 2nd regularly. Yes he blows against lefties, but his defense is incredible. And when you do face righties, he's a monster. Against lefties I just hope to get bloop singles and shit like that.

Correa is another pretty solid card to put at either of those spots.

Anyways I'm about to try to get this win. One win and I'm back in WS. Of course, since I'm at 898, that probably means I'll end the day at 798. That's just how this shit works.

You know a nice sign that you play this game too much? When you play someone and you remember being matched up with them for the last 2-3 years. This guy I'm playing now to get into WS is already there, has a really good record, and is the same guy who's fucked up a few of my deep BR runs.....

What a first inning. I'm up 4-0 and made his 96 Nolan throw 38 first inning pitches

I could never have a Mets bastard on my team.

As for 2nd and 3rd...you got Seager right? Or is he your SS? Seager is the man.

I ultimately decided to start using my AS Cano at 2nd regularly. Yes he blows against lefties, but his defense is incredible. And when you do face righties, he's a monster. Against lefties I just hope to get bloop singles and shit like that.

Correa is another pretty solid card to put at either of those spots.

Anyways I'm about to try to get this win. One win and I'm back in WS. Of course, since I'm at 898, that probably means I'll end the day at 798. That's just how this shit works.

You know a nice sign that you play this game too much? When you play someone and you remember being matched up with them for the last 2-3 years. This guy I'm playing now to get into WS is already there, has a really good record, and is the same guy who's fucked up a few of my deep BR runs.....

What a first inning. I'm up 4-0 and made his 96 Nolan throw 38 first inning pitches

I feel the same about Cardinal players on my team. I don't have Seager anymore, just had too many lefties in my lineup. I have Correa in my lineup. I used him my whole first season and did well with him and now that his is a diamond, I'm doing even better.

PS. I hope when we play, David Wright walks it off on you. Lol.

I am officially over Bob Feller and his lack of a changeup

This guy already tied the game in the 2nd -_____-

Lost 9-5. Fucking sucks man. Difference was that when I had men on base, my ball was hit to the warning track. His barely cleared the fence. I worked his ass but could not capitalize :(

Down to 880....

I feel the same about Cardinal players on my team. I don't have Seager anymore, just had too many lefties in my lineup. I have Correa in my lineup. I used him my whole first season and did well with him and now that his is a diamond, I'm doing even better.

PS. I hope when we play, David Wright walks it off on you. Lol.

Fuck David Wright, This dude I'm playing has gotten like 4 RBIs with this fuck already in the 2nd inning
I'm kicking Syndergaard's ass though. Scored 9 runs off him in 2 innings. Buyer's remorse!

Also, re:Trout------why worry about what your 2b and 3b hit when Trout will bat 1.000 for you when you need him to?

Alright. I'm looking to solidify my team a bit. Here is my current squad:

Rotation:
LS Sale
LS Grienkie
Rookie Thor
LS deGrom
All Star 85 Chris Young

Pen:
LS Brad Hand
LS Cody Allen
LS Rivero
LS Nate Jones
All Star Rollie Fingers
LS Iglesias
LS Herrera

Lineup:
All Star 92 AJ Pollock
97 Kinsler
98 Marlins Cabrera
94 Victor Martinez
93 Matt Holliday
94 Cepeda
94 Reggie Jackson
97 Zobrist

Bench:
LS JD Martinez
93 Buddy Bell
LS Rizzo
LS Grandal
93 Curtis Granderson

I have all sorts of thoughts as to have to attack this. I have 101,000 stubs right now. LS Rizzo, 98 Cabrera, and rookie Thor are all sellable. I could cheaply do the Pirates collection and get the Drabek and Cutch card. It would give me another starter and a good bat plus some speed in the outfield. I could do the Mets collection. Sell rookie Thor and the 98 Miggy card, I'd get the LS Thor, Saberhagen, and David Wright out of the deal. LS Thor would replace rookie Thor and Wright would replace Miggy. I could make some sales to finish the Red Sox where I'd get Betts and Kimbrel, both of which would start and then I would end up with the Ted Williams card which seems like it could be an end game card. Buy Goldy and do the Dbacks maybe? I'm also like a gold 70 level right now so I can't buy the Cliff Floyd yet. Am I missing any other team epics I should be looking at finishing? Should I just hit the market and make a few buys there?

Rotation:
LS Sale
LS Grienkie
Rookie Thor
LS deGrom
All Star 85 Chris Young

Pen:
LS Brad Hand
LS Cody Allen
LS Rivero
LS Nate Jones
All Star Rollie Fingers
LS Iglesias
LS Herrera

Lineup:
All Star 92 AJ Pollock
97 Kinsler
98 Marlins Cabrera
94 Victor Martinez
93 Matt Holliday
94 Cepeda
94 Reggie Jackson
97 Zobrist

Bench:
LS JD Martinez
93 Buddy Bell
LS Rizzo
LS Grandal
93 Curtis Granderson

I have all sorts of thoughts as to have to attack this. I have 101,000 stubs right now. LS Rizzo, 98 Cabrera, and rookie Thor are all sellable. I could cheaply do the Pirates collection and get the Drabek and Cutch card. It would give me another starter and a good bat plus some speed in the outfield. I could do the Mets collection. Sell rookie Thor and the 98 Miggy card, I'd get the LS Thor, Saberhagen, and David Wright out of the deal. LS Thor would replace rookie Thor and Wright would replace Miggy. I could make some sales to finish the Red Sox where I'd get Betts and Kimbrel, both of which would start and then I would end up with the Ted Williams card which seems like it could be an end game card. Buy Goldy and do the Dbacks maybe? I'm also like a gold 70 level right now so I can't buy the Cliff Floyd yet. Am I missing any other team epics I should be looking at finishing? Should I just hit the market and make a few buys there?

What's your weak spot in the lineup? What's the ERA of your starting 5? Do you enjoy pitching with all of them? Are you confident in everyone in your pen?

Just to make sure, you have 101,000 stubs, AND you also have Rizzo/Cabrera and Thor to sell?

And which programs are you almost done with as well as your progress in dynasty program? (Ripken/Blue/HW Cabrera are end game guys)

What's your weak spot in the lineup? What's the ERA of your starting 5? Do you enjoy pitching with all of them? Are you confident in everyone in your pen?

Just pitched my first game with Chris Young. Can't say I really enjoyed it and I gave up four runs, although only one hard hit ball. Rookie Thor, deGrom, and Sale I enjoy. Sale 2.84 ERA, Grienkie 3.54, Rookie Thor 2.42, and deGrom 4.84 (sort of inflated because he's pitched 12 games, but one game he got shelled in and I refused to take him out). Fairly confident in everyone in my pen, Nate Jones is the one that I probably throw worst with. Kinsler and Pollock who were guys I used to rake with, I can't seem to do much with anymore, maybe it's just a cold spell though. I have absolutely no speed. Pollock is my fastest everyday starter, Granderson has speed but he can't hit lefties so I don't start him.

If I were going to replace any starters it would be Grienkie or Young. Could make the case for replacing Kinsler, or moving Zobrist to 2B and then finding a SS. I just finished the Cards epic for Cepeda so I'm not too sure on him yet since I've only played about 5 games with him. Could make the case for replacing any of my outfielders if I can grab a 5 tool guy.

Just to make sure, you have 101,000 stubs, AND you also have Rizzo/Cabrera and Thor to sell?

Yes. I have 101,000 stubs and Rizzo, Cabrera, and Rookie Thor could all be sold. Hell I would sell Sale too if there was some sort of approach to find a decent replacement starter for his slot and make myself better at other positions too. Basically I've been rocking almost the same team for like 2 months and I want to switch it up if I can make myself better doing it. I'm getting bored using the same guys over and over again and I feel like I keep falling into the same patterns every game with this lineup.

Program wise I'm not all that far in any of them since it wasn't really my focus. I just sort of dad a few team epics, Conquest, and then jumped online. Haven't put much grind into any of the programs, I was just playing games and if I happened to complete any parts of a program along the way then so be it. I am willing to start a grind for some end game guys, I'm just not even sure the best way to go about doing it at this point. I think part of my problem is I've fallen into a rut of just playing ranked seasons games and getting frustrated with myself and my team.

Just pitched my first game with Chris Young. Can't say I really enjoyed it and I gave up four runs, although only one hard hit ball. Rookie Thor, deGrom, and Sale I enjoy. Sale 2.84 ERA, Grienkie 3.54, Rookie Thor 2.42, and deGrom 4.84 (sort of inflated because he's pitched 12 games, but one game he got shelled in and I refused to take him out). Fairly confident in everyone in my pen, Nate Jones is the one that I probably throw worst with. Kinsler and Pollock who were guys I used to rake with, I can't seem to do much with anymore, maybe it's just a cold spell though. I have absolutely no speed. Pollock is my fastest everyday starter, Granderson has speed but he can't hit lefties so I don't start him.

If I were going to replace any starters it would be Grienkie or Young. Could make the case for replacing Kinsler, or moving Zobrist to 2B and then finding a SS. I just finished the Cards epic for Cepeda so I'm not too sure on him yet since I've only played about 5 games with him. Could make the case for replacing any of my outfielders if I can grab a 5 tool guy.

Yes. I have 101,000 stubs and Rizzo, Cabrera, and Rookie Thor could all be sold. Hell I would sell Sale too if there was some sort of approach to find a decent replacement starter for his slot and make myself better at other positions too. Basically I've been rocking almost the same team for like 2 months and I want to switch it up if I can make myself better doing it. I'm getting bored using the same guys over and over again and I feel like I keep falling into the same patterns every game with this lineup.

I think you need a good left handed bat that you don't have to platoon. LS Votto, 97 Lofton, LS Seager. You have to figure out what you want todo on offense. I could have a team of guys with 99 speed but I hate stealing as I hate thinking about it because I'm I want 100% of my concentration on hitting. So don't worry about speed unless you want speed and want to create runs with that speed. Personally, I'd rather just walk around the bases so my team is stacked with power hitters.

I think you need a good left handed bat that you don't have to platoon. LS Votto, 97 Lofton, LS Seager. You have to figure out what you want todo on offense. I could have a team of guys with 99 speed but I hate stealing as I hate thinking about it because I'm I want 100% of my concentration on hitting. So don't worry about speed unless you want speed and want to create runs with that speed. Personally, I'd rather just walk around the bases so my team is stacked with power hitters.

I'm actually fine with the idea of how my line up is built. I favor power over speed and would rather have guys that I can make good contact with more times than not than have an all speed line up. When I said it was my weak spot I meant it in regards to a few things. First I wouldn't mind a little more speed in say the corner outfield spots (RF where Holliday is more so than LF where Reggie Jackson is) because I feel like there have been a fair amount of balls that a player that was a bit faster would get to. Second short of Pollock, I don't have anyone in my lineup that I can try and stretch a single into a double with.

All three of those options seem like they would be legit upgrades though. Votto would let me get rid of Rizzo, Seager would let me bring either Zobrist or Kinsler off the bench, and Lofton would give me speed, sontact, and defense and a real lead off hitter. Votto or Seager I could just buy straight up with the stubs I have, Lofton would require some wheeling and dealing since Andrew Miller is still over 145,000 stubs. Would get Kluber, Miller, and the 97 Lofton out of doing that epic though. Of course the biggest downside to going after Lofton is that I am locked into Miller and can't sell the Lofton. Decisions decisions.

Nothing like winning a game 1-0 on a bases loaded wild pitch in the 12th inning....

You should go back in time and do the event for Ellsbury

You might want to consider doing the Royals collection. It's cheap and Cain is really good, you also get Soria who I like as a reliever. I also like HW McCutchen but don't find Drabek that good.

I agree with Korupt on how my team is built. I don't need to steal bases if I'm hitting the ball over the fence!

I would say just find pitchers you like, and stick with those, but focus on making sure you trust all of them. Your offense is probably good enough to get enough runs, but you'll have games where your starters/relievers get rocked and you need to have a short leash so you have a chance at coming back.

Also do not complete Indians. So not worth it IMO.

You might want to consider doing the Royals collection. It's cheap and Cain is really good, you also get Soria who I like as a reliever. I also like HW McCutchen but don't find Drabek that good.

I agree with Korupt on how my team is built. I don't need to steal bases if I'm hitting the ball over the fence!

I would say just find pitchers you like, and stick with those, but focus on making sure you trust all of them. Your offense is probably good enough to get enough runs, but you'll have games where your starters/relievers get rocked and you need to have a short leash so you have a chance at coming back.

Also do not complete Indians. So not worth it IMO.

I definitely need to do something about my number 2 starter. It's Grienkie right now, it's been Sabathia in the past. It is the one spot I don't really trust right now. We'll also see how the Chris Young experiment goes, but right now his funky motion is probably enough to keep him as my 5th starter.

The Royals epic to get Cain/Soria isn't a bad call. That damn Cain card seems to get on base every time I face him. I've obviously got some thinking to do, but I need to take a break from ranked seasons so I'm willing to go through a bit of a grind right now.

99 David Wright is on the squad. Hardest part of the grind was the steals. With Gomez base running aggressiveness so high, the CPU pitched out, sidestepped, and picked me off so much. So frustrating. 2nd hardest part was just just getting Brett to start the game.

99 David Wright is on the squad. Hardest part of the grind was the steals. With Gomez base running aggressiveness so high, the CPU pitched out, sidestepped, and picked me off so much. So frustrating. 2nd hardest part was just just getting Brett to start the game.

They made steals harder and it's really annoying, one of the patches made the CPU's psychic abilities grow even stronger. What's annoying is that they will only pick off when you attempt a steal. And somehow they are 100% on pick off attempts.

Also I'm down to do a game later today if you're around. I can stream it if others are around too.

Shakes, I'll come up with a more strategic plan for you later today. Sounds like you'll have about 185k stubs to play with if you sell the Cabrera, Rizzo, and Rookie Thor, but I might consider keeping Miggy. We'll see when I dive deeper in a bit...

Just got home. Ranked game, guy quits after getting K three times by Chris Young, 3nd guy quits after. 1st inning 2 run bomb by Harper, 3rd guy quits at the start.

Edit 4th guy d/ced in the 2nd. Just got 4 wins in 15 min and I'm up to 812.

Just got home. Ranked game, guy quits after getting K three times by Chris Young, 3nd guy quits after. 1st inning 2 run bomb by Harper, 3rd guy quits at the start.

Edit 4th guy d/ced in the 2nd. Just got 4 wins in 15 min and I'm up to 812.

lol god damn. WS run for you tonight?

I just got 8 points for beating somebody. Now I know why it's going to be hard to get to 1000. Your wins probably don't get you many points but your losses will sure bring your rating the hell down

On part 5 of AL West Quest.... 15 inning game against all star CPU Astros ends in a 3-2 loss. I went up 2-1 in the 12th while leaving a man on third and they just tie it up.... I need to go lie down.

Planning on grinding these out until I have Wainwright.

Finally got to play someone 9 innings!

So we get Chris "I'm better than Kershaw" Young and David Wrights debut against Thor.

Young CG 8H 2 ER
Wright 1-3 with a clutch 2 run bomb when it was a 2 run game.

Guy is 511-251. Swear this Young card is the truth.

I have 37 IP with 0.73 ERA and a 0.49 WHIP with him.

Maybe I should put Young in my rotation, but I hated pitching with him when grinding for King Felix

Sutter is in the ticket store, I wonder if he is worth it

Maybe I should put Young in my rotation, but I hated pitching with him when grinding for King Felix

Sutter is in the ticket store, I wonder if he is worth it

Apparently not. Some dude brought him in against me and I was busy knocking this dude's ass around left and right, until the strong ass winds outside knocked out my power!!

He has a nice split finger but is just about it.

I'm batting over .400 with my Cano against righties....but .250 against lefties. Damn it I wish he didn't suck vs. lefties so much lol

On part 5 of AL West Quest.... 15 inning game against all star CPU Astros ends in a 3-2 loss. I went up 2-1 in the 12th while leaving a man on third and they just tie it up.... I need to go lie down.

Planning on grinding these out until I have Wainwright.

you don't need to do those all-star difficulty parts for wainwright, do you?

Top Bottom