• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

BlizzKrut

Banned
So I just reached the
Lobby
, is this your
hub zone
? Or is this considered a
normal area
?

So far I'm really liking it, it reminds me a lot of Bioshock, which I love, I will get this on PC though, shooters on consoles are a no-no for me, loved the (spoilers for the first 30 minutes)
twist that you were in a simulation, I can't wait to know more.

Un4

This should be right up my alley but i really hate the enemy design. There´s just no fun in killing black blobs.

I also did not like the clunky controls and the lack of Pro support.

Will probably wait till it´s cheap.

Just as good as System Shock 2 should be fine.

And System Shock 2 wasn't exactly a flawless game.

As good as SS2? Just how the new Deus Ex games are infinitely inferior to the PC original, although good games for the times we live in(contrary to neogaf belief that there wasnt a better time to game in and we have the best ever right now), so is the likely fate of this game. The best we can hope for is a good game, for 2017. It wont reach the heels of SS2, im sure.

Captain Failure

Neo Member
Went into this demo blind and was surprised at how good it was. Had me interested enough to put the full game on my radar. Love the design of the enemies.

Looking at all the complaints about the mimics being too agile and hard to hit makes me think that even though Arkane presented the Gloo gun next to a frozen mimic, players thought it was a cool feature of the gun rather than being necessary for enemies.Slowing mimics down with the gun and then smashing away with the crowbar makes these encounters a lot less frustrating, and the gun having such a large capacity means you really shouldn't run into any ammunition issues even if you spray. Flailing away at the mimics is not the way to deal with them, but I know as a player it's frustrating to be told you're not playing the game the way it is meant to be played.

I enjoyed the demo quite a bit and am excited to see how it opens up when more skills are unlocked, but the decision to start us off fresh with no skills was a bad decision that will easily turn off players players who are not aware of how progression in this genre works. Dealing with the enemies in Prey felt unfair early on, and it was only once I started to unlock more abilities that I was able to comfortably get the upper hand (played on Hard).

Overall I believe many of the complaints about combat will diminish when players have more options of their own choosing available to them, rather than being forced to use the Gloo gun/wrench like we have to early on.

The thing about the Gloo Gun is that it's really hard to hit the mimics because of the longass shot travel time, so you're still basically forced into the same old song and dance of letting them close and dodging the first blow so they stop moving for a second so you can hit them, at which point, why not just use the wrench to give 'em the requisite 3 quick smacks?

----

Thinking about it some more, I'm definitely going to be buying this, but I'm not sure if I will at launch. Money is kinda tight right now and I don't know I can justify a purchase I'm not 110% sure of.

And agreed that they need a separate combat music slider. I love it, but that and the scare chords are just too loud lol.

Lucreto

I kept running out of ammo and medikits so I never finished the demo. Those little creatures are too hard to hit and usually get two hits in before I even see then.

It could be the input delay or I am really bad at the game.

It's in the maybe pile for later in the year.

Denonsuprised me a few ways (good and bad) . Went into it blind as the prerelease stuff never looked that interesting

- loved thee story and initial setup
- love the world
- love the computer interfaces

- hated the enemies , they better have a ton of variety , fighting crabs is not that fun
- graphics were ok
- did not experience much input lag (Xbox 1 ) but still a bit of stutter

Overall mixed impressions , will probably pickup when it's cheap , I'm really intrigued by the story

Seth

Has the general reception in this thread been good?

Im kinda disappointed in it, its not really what i was expecting. The story seems interesting but the gameplay was not very good. I thought it would be more of a straightforward shooter with an interesting story. Can't quite put my finger on it but something feels off about the whole thing.

BlizzKrut

Banned

Im kinda disappointed in it, its not really what i was expecting. The story seems interesting but the gameplay was not very good. I thought it would be more of a straightforward shooter with an interesting story. Can't quite put my finger on it but something feels off about the whole thing.

Mixed, overall it seems people like the story and the setting, but the controls and performance issues are making some take a step back, if you're undecided by the "end" of the demo, wait for reviews.

R aka Bon

The good

Interactivity: The level of interactivity in this game is really well done. I often times get disappointed with games that are visually rich in their environments but lack any sort of meaningful interactivity. Prey stops that trend and follows a path more akin to something like Bioshock. In prey you can do the most obvious things as press a button, open door etc, but you can also flush the toilet, turn on the sink, turn the lights on/off, take a bath, break and throw around a plethora of objects, and yes even turn speakers on for some nice music. I always have appreciated these small touches, makes me feel there was a great attention to detail.

Environmental storytelling: I mean the opening hour or the whole bedroom reminded me of Dark souls, the way how everything was seemingly connected without you realizing it, and it's also just really interesting how much technology can fool you, and how many opportunities it presents.

Enemy animations: Those animations definitely are very unique, the effects and the way they move make them easily stand out. The animations make the combat even more hectic and scary, as they appear uncontrollable and dangerous.

Gameplay loop: Feels great that there is a progression in the different weapons you get throughout the game that serve different purposes. Being able to craft and recycle, upgrade your character and specialize it as well as being able to access stuff like turrets or computers all feel great.

The not so good

Combat music: This one would actually have been a very good thing if only it didn't feel so repetitive and predictable. The first time i heard the combat music i screamed in fear, i was shocked, was definitely not expecting that. I now know not to turn the volume up so much when i am wearing headphones. It felt perfect in creating the spooky atmosphere and it complimented the gameplay very well.
The problem however was that it would come every single time when encountering an enemy, and due to the nature of the tune, it would be rather annoying to listen to. I mean the combat music makes my body extremely tense and stressed out, both due to it always being the same one they keep playing, but also because it lasts for quite a while even after i have killed the enemies in the area. Therefore it becomes an annoyance and after a while it doesn't scare or surprise me anymore, it becomes a predictable game of go kill this enemy, and wait five more minutes for this very tense and bizarre sound to go away.( I had to turn it down to 10 from the options menu.)

Facial animations and graphics in general didn't impress me either, but i appreciate the level of interactivity and the artstyle is not the worst so it's not that big of a problem.

The good

Interactivity: The level of interactivity in this game is really well done. I often times get disappointed with games that are visually rich in their environments but lack any sort of meaningful interactivity. Prey stops that trend and follows a path more akin to something like Bioshock. In prey you can do the most obvious things as press a button, open door etc, but you can also flush the toilet, turn on the sink, turn the lights on/off, take a bath, break and throw around a plethora of objects, and yes even turn speakers on for some nice music. I always have appreciated these small touches, makes me feel there was a great attention to detail.
I particularly love how
you can take a peek behind the wizard's curtain and mess around with the simulation controls to see exactly how they would change the environment during the opening part of the game.

Denonsuprised me a few ways (good and bad) . Went into it blind as the prerelease stuff never looked that interesting

- loved thee story and initial setup
- love the world
- love the computer interfaces

- hated the enemies , they better have a ton of variety , fighting crabs is not that fun
- graphics were ok
- did not experience much input lag (Xbox 1 ) but still a bit of stutter

Overall mixed impressions , will probably pickup when it's cheap , I'm really intrigued by the story

FWIW, there's more than crabs in the demo. You can run into
at least 2 flavors of humanoid enemies and these other things that I didn't get a good look at but shot energy bolts at you.

R aka Bon

I particularly love how
you can take a peek behind the wizard's curtain and mess around with the simulation controls to see exactly how they would change the environment during the opening part of the game.

Yes i actually pressed one of the simulation buttons to trigger the roof simulation and jumped down there in ecxitement. Then i remembered that i had jumped down and wouldn't be able to go back up and got very stressed out, thinking that i had to restart the game or jump off the building. But of course it occured to me that i could just use the wrench and destroy the simulation room to find my way back, not a pretty sight, i'll tell you that much.

Maxxan

Yes i actually pressed one of the simulation buttons to trigger the roof simulation and jumped down there in ecxitement. Then i remembered that i had jumped down and wouldn't be able to go back up and got very stressed out, thinking that i had to restart the game or jump off the building. But of course it occured to me that i could just use the wrench and destroy the simulation room to find my way back, not a pretty sight, i'll tell you that much.

I totally missed this part (I even looked for it) and can't be bothered to download the demo again. Does anyone have a video of this?

Stoze

Was I supposed to find a shotgun? My only weapons are the gloo gun, wrench, and stun gun

Yeah, there's one right in the hallway when you walk out from the sim lab beginning area into the open lobby. Apparently that's only there for the demo, but there's another one
in the security office in the lobby.

SomTervo

1. Reception has been mixed erring on negative. Mainly due to PS4 control issues and music.

2. No way is it a straightforward shooter. It's an immersive sim. Part sandbox, part RPG, part puzzler, part shooter.

Immersive sims really shine later on in the experience when you've specced your character to have cool abilities: hacking stuff, possessing stuff, sneaking, making things fight each other, etc.

They're sandbox games.

1. Reception has been mixed erring on negative. Mainly due to PS4 control issues and music.

2. No way is it a straightforward shooter. It's an immersive sim. Part sandbox, part RPG, part puzzler, part shooter.

Immersive sims really shine later on the experience when you've specced your character to have cool abilities: hacking stuff, possessing stuff, sneaking, making things fight each other, etc.

They're sandbox games.
Yeah, now that I found the shotgun,
taking on those typhon in the trauma center
become much easier. Also highlights the more strategic aspect, since my tactic was deploying turrets in the corridor, lure them down there, then freeze them

Does progress carry over from the demo? Think I'm going to have to pick this up, want to see what happens next

Combat feels much better when you have a shotgun

brawly

The not so good

Combat music: This one would actually have been a very good thing if only it didn't feel so repetitive and predictable. The first time i heard the combat music i screamed in fear, i was shocked, was definitely not expecting that. I now know not to turn the volume up so much when i am wearing headphones. It felt perfect in creating the spooky atmosphere and it complimented the gameplay very well.
The problem however was that it would come every single time when encountering an enemy, and due to the nature of the tune, it would be rather annoying to listen to. I mean the combat music makes my body extremely tense and stressed out, both due to it always being the same one they keep playing, but also because it lasts for quite a while even after i have killed the enemies in the area. Therefore it becomes an annoyance and after a while it doesn't scare or surprise me anymore, it becomes a predictable game of go kill this enemy, and wait five more minutes for this very tense and bizarre sound to go away.( I had to turn it down to 10 from the options menu.)

Facial animations and graphics in general didn't impress me either, but i appreciate the level of interactivity and the artstyle is not the worst so it's not that big of a problem.

I think it would be way better if there was no music at all and you would hear the blobs crawl around or shift slightly when transformed. That would creep me out way more than those jarring sound effects.

Loved it! I played up until the lobby, I didn't see any point in continuing with something I'm definitely sold on. The story seems solid with potential, exploring the lab was interesting with lots of interactive bells and whistles and room for my own creative solutions for traversal, I liked the heft behind the combat. Music made me suuuuper tense ha it did run on a little long a few times but sounds like that's a bug. I haven't played the original system shocks, but this made me feel like I'll enjoy the things I enjoyed about Bioshock and the original Dead Space.

I like it, on ps4 felt clunky as hell. But I guess that gets smoothed over.

Will there be melee builds in full game, or is this mainly a pure shooter?

BlizzKrut

Banned
I like it, on ps4 felt clunky as hell. But I guess that gets smoothed over.

Will there be melee builds in full game, or is this mainly a pure shooter?

If you're referring to weapons, I think the
Wrench
is the only melee weapon.

If you're asking if you can finish the game with just the
Wrench
, the answer is yes.

Mr. Tibbs

Found this video on Youtube, what were they thinking releasing the PS4 demo in this state?

ezgif-3-292acda75f.gif

Stoze

Does progress carry over from the demo? Think I'm going to have to pick this up, want to see what happens next

Combat feels much better when you have a shotgun

I doubt it. There's a silenced pistol in the demo as well, it's on
Morgan's desk
or in
the teleconference room

sn00zer

Loved the time I put into the demo. Really interesting pace and I like the skill tree stuff I saw hinted at. Only thing I couldn't really parse was additional supporting cast, but damn the opening was great.

Played some of the demo tonight. It's got some clear influences from Bioshock, but that's no bad thing.

Edit: in fact, it's what put it on my radar! :)

Not entirely sure about the enemies, but the setting and atmosphere seems pretty good.

Definitely interested in picking this up after I've finished a couple other titles.

KORNdoggy

Anyone else feel like the wrench should be a button press, not a weapon of itself? The same way plasmids were always on hand in bioshock?

Mifune

Mehmber
Ended up really digging this demo. Combat is pretty clunky but it seems there will be many options for dealing with enemies. Story is compelling so far. A pleasant surprise after seeing all the negativity and almost writing it off after the initial combat encounters.

Noks415

So I've been messing with the demo for hours, and got into some areas where you are probably not really suppose to get into. Anyways, I got my hands on a null wave transmitter, do you think that will have any effect on that mind controlled individual that's been quarantined? I'd be willing to restart the demo if the answer is yes, since i killed him.

Top Bottom