• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF lets battle it out. Which franchise is better F-Zero or Wipeout

Pick yours

Results are only viewable after voting.

NEO0MJ

Floaty? What an odd thing to say, given the ships float. It'd be a worry if they weren't floaty!

lol, you know what I meant. In F-Zero I feel you can make sharp turns almost instantly while in Wipeout it requires a bit more planning ahead and knowing the track.

cuilan

It always seems so superficial whenever these two franchises are compared. Yeah, they're both futuristic racing games, but they play quite differently other than that. Wipeout is more of a high-brow kart racer, while F-Zero is a pure arcade racer. I can't really choose one over the other in that sense. So just in terms of the audiovisual aspect, I prefer Wipeout.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The one that had a game in he franchise where my favorite DJ of all time (Sasha) direct the soundtrack.

jett

D-Member
The one that had a game in he franchise where my favorite DJ of all time (Sasha) direct the soundtrack.

djtiesto
is beloved, despite what anyone might say
(Today, 10:49 AM)

giphy.gif

MTC100

Banned
Segas take on F-Zero was amazing, so was F-Zero X on the N64. Wipeout was fun but I never had the same connection to it as I've had with F-Zero, also F-Zero has lore(lol).

-Also racing tubes is fun, I don't remember racing tubes in Wipeout.

Zweisy1

Not gonna change my answer of F-Zero but this thread has actually inspired me to go and play some of the Wipeout games again.. Namely Pure as that the newest one I own, do own the first 3 PSX games too. Gotta admit Im having a lot fun with Pure.. So Wipeout HD Fury is definitely worth getting?

I remember this futuristic racer called S.T.U.N Runner that predates F-Zero and Wipeout, think it was by Atari games and least the arcade version was fun at the time.

Xe4

Banned
WipEout is for sure the better franchise. It has the most consistently good/great games, and it's still putting out games today, unlike F-Zero, whose last game came out 13 years ago. It also has the better aesthetic, music, game modes, etc. etc.

However, if you were to ask me which had the better game, the answer would probably be F-Zero. GX was fantastic (AX was great too), and the best of the two combined. I find it interesting that a majority of posters point to GX as to why F-Zero is better. I disagree that one game, no matter how good, can make your franchise better than the other franchise being far more consistently good.

So, my opinion:
wipEout > F-Zero
GX > 2097 > AX >= Rest of wipEout > Rest of F-Zero

Not gonna change my answer of F-Zero but this thread has actually inspired me to go and play some of the Wipeout games again.. Namely Pure as that the newest one I own, do own the first 3 PSX games too. Gotta admit Im having a lot fun with Pure.. So Wipeout HD Fury is definitely worth getting?

Omega Collection hits in a week and that'll pretty much cover all the ones you haven't played.
Wipeout HD is excellent.

entremet

I don't care for Wipeout until the PS3 versions. But they were very good.

I loved Fzero, X, and GX, tho. So it wins on sheer volume.

Xtars

Wipeout all day.

F-Zero have so many issues. First of all the camera perspective, almost feels like a top down racer. Then the vehicles are almost sugar cubes glued to the track, all that is happening is that that cube, slicked to the track, following it really fast, unless you jump of course where the "physics" are super wonky. Also the tracks are super boring with really long straights and then sharp corners, feels like a DDR/Guitar Hero Expert Mode style game.

Wipeout on the other hand, camera is positioned behind a sleek vehicle giving great sense of speed and control allowing the vehicle to move freely within a portion of the screen. The vehicles feel like they have "real" physics and can lift off the track and fly. Then the tracks, a lot of nice curves, alternate paths and good flow and actually feels like a racer where you have to control the vehicle and not a button combo.

Zweisy1

Omega Collection hits in a week and that'll pretty much cover all the ones you haven't played.
Wipeout HD is excellent.

Excellent. Going to be buying that then.
Definitely found a new apprecciation for the series... there seems to be a lot of skill involved an a good deal of depth to how it plays. Excellent art and music, very very few series have such a strong and well thought out sense of style, both visual and audio.

VDenter

Banned
How many new games are trying to replicate F-Zero...

0?

There's a reason.

1. Influential means very little when talking about actual quality. By that logic Call Of Duty 4 is the greatest game ever made because every shooter has to replicate it in some way.

2. It would probably bee more influential if Nintendo bothered to make another entry which they did not in the last decade. Which is completely on Nintendo and has no bearing on the game whatsoever,

3. Its not exactly hard to create a more nuanced Mario Kart set in the future with bad controls exactly. Good luck creating something as GX though.

Toxi

Banned
F-Zero GX is the pinnacle. And F-Zero X is just below that.

But Wipeout's good too. It shows when the poll is this close.

VDenter

Banned
giphy.gif

This is why Nintendo fans get a bad rep.

lol

I own and consoles from all three companies. Love most of Sony's franchises and hate some of Nintendo's most recent games. Whats your point? My statement was no less nonsensical than yours when you compared the latest Wipeout to a Minigame. Or said GX had "Slippery Controls".

FinalAres

lol

I own and consoles from all three companies. Love most of Sony's franchises and hate some of Nintendo's most recent games. Whats your point? My statement was no less nonsensical than yours when you compared the latest Wipeout to a Minigame. Or said GX had "Slippery Controls".
You can own Consoles from all companies, hate "some" of Nintendo's games and still be incredibly biased. Not saying you are, haven't read enough of what you said to be sure, but it's not just possible, but common to be like that.

Skyzard

Banned
The reason being...

Wipeout rules, f-zero is okay.

1. Influential means very little when talking about actual quality. By that logic Call Of Duty 4 is the greatest game ever made because every shooter has to replicate it in some way.

2. It would probably bee more influential if Nintendo bothered to make another entry which they did not in the last decade. Which is completely on Nintendo and has no bearing on the game whatsoever,

3. Its not exactly hard to create a more nuanced Mario Kart set in the future with bad controls exactly. Good luck creating something as GX though.

lol

BTW, COD4 was great

What other COD game got a remake?

VDenter

Banned

lol

BTW, COD4 was great

What other COD game got a remake?

Why yes it was great. Was it the best shooter ever just because it happens to be influential?....No

Also give it time. I am sure once the ideas run dry they will remake every single modern COD game in fact i would not be surprised at all if MW2 is already being remade.

I am pretty sure F Zero and Mario Kart all influenced Wipeout. So its not like the comparison to the games is unwarranted.

RPGamer92

Banned
This thread sure does have some great fanboy shitposting in it :). While F-Zero GX is obviously an incredible game, it's been 14 years since that released. Wipeout has just had more entries and to me, I can connect with it as a result more than F-Zero.

WaterAstro

lol, you know what I meant. In F-Zero I feel you can make sharp turns almost instantly while in Wipeout it requires a bit more planning ahead and knowing the track.

lol wut, did you only play the first F-Zero or something?

F-Zero tracks jerk constantly with sharp turns everywhere that you definitely need to know the track and when to turn. There is no way you can beat hard levels in one go just because "you can make sharp turns almost instantly".

nubbe

Haven't had a proper F-Zero since GameCube, so i'm going with Wipeout since i've simply had more fun with it over time.

I have a lot of respect for the Wipeout games and what they did for console gaming along with the PS1 generation, but I never enjoyed the games much.

It's F Zero X all the way with me baby. I love that game so much. Such a brilliant racing game. Such sublime control with analogue stick and of course 60 fps! The multiplayer is wonderful too. I liked GX, but it never felt as good as X to me. YOU GOT BOOST POWER!!!

jett

D-Member
lol

I own and consoles from all three companies. Love most of Sony's franchises and hate some of Nintendo's most recent games. Whats your point?

I guess that I can't take anyone seriously that's gonna call Wipeout "a more nuanced Mario Kart with bad controls."

My statement was no less nonsensical than yours when you compared the latest Wipeout to a Minigame.

That was a joke.

Or said GX had "Slippery Controls".

But it does. If turning wasn't slippery I'm not sure snaking would be possible.

Skyzard

Banned
He's only saying that because it has weapons, hah.

I mostly played time trial after completing the games, the weapon matches are fun every now and then, though pretty intense.

Fiendcode

How many new games are trying to replicate F-Zero...

0?

There's a reason.
There's several actually including Radial-G, Super Pilot and arguably even FAST Racing to some extent.

There might be less than there are Wipeout derivatives but then again it's not like Nintendo fired almost the entire F-Zero team who went on to form new studios and work on clones either. ;)

Opinions, I think both are awesome but F-Zero is awesomer.

Wipeout's take on the genre was more outstanding and popular.

Opinions again, but I'm not sure "popular" makes any sense, considering the original F-Zero and X sold better than any Wipeout game.

Because Wipeout is a highly influential game and F-Zero is not.

This is kind of bullshit though, F-Zero is not influential? Wipeout was fucking influenced by F-Zero.

I love both equaly.

Something to consider:
f-zero is an arcade racer and wipeout more of a simulation
Yet wipeout has weapons and options giving it sort of a mario-kart feel, while f-zero has no such things, the purity of the gameplay slowly revealing many hiden subtilities.
So, basicaly, we have a "realistic" future racing simulation with heavy mario kart elements facing a streamlined, skilled based futuristic racing arcade game.

Side note: as always, I'm baffled at so many people only mentioning GX in this thread and calling it the greatest racing game of all times

jett

D-Member
I love both equaly.

Something to consider:
f-zero is an arcade racer and wipeout more of a simulation
Yet wipeout has weapons and options giving it sort of a mario-kart feel, while f-zero has no such things, the purity of the gameplay slowly revealing many hiden subtilities.
So, basicaly, we have a "realistic" future racing simulation with heavy mario kart elements facing a streamlined, skilled based futuristic racing arcade game.

Side note: as always, I'm baffled at so many people only mentioning GX in this thread and calling it the greatest racing game of all times

You know something, I challenge the notion of "purity" in F-Zero, considering how much priority boost management can have in relation to actual driving skills. Often that's the only difference between being first and not. It reminds me too much of nitrous in Ridge Racer 7, although shit goes even more extreme there.

Skyzard

Banned
There's several actually including Radial-G, Super Pilot and arguably even FAST Racing to some extent.

There might be less than there are Wipeout derivatives but then again it's not like Nintendo fired almost the entire F-Zero team who went on to form new studios and work on clones either. ;)

Lol. :p They're not all ex-wipeout developers making these games (I wish). Just formula fusion has a few afaik. Redout is by Italians... ballisticng I'm not sure of actually. The team is called Neognosis and the game is really similar to early wipeout so it makes me wonder.

Hadn't heard of Super Pilot before, that does look hella f-zero. Seems like it's still in development. Ideally they improve on the handling to make it less finicky, and a bit more modern and cleaned up. I'd buy it for some arcade fun. Level editor too, nice.

And hopefully they speed it up a bit without needing to do any snaking or other stuff.

Synth

This is kind of bullshit though, F-Zero is not influential? Wipeout was fucking influenced by F-Zero.

To be fair, it's not really bullshit. Prince of Persia influenced the original Tomb Raider, but Tomb Raider is a massively more influential game, going on to influence the TPS genre as a whole in ways that remain to this day, whereas there are very few games that are clearly influenced by Prince of Persia directly.

When you're literally lamenting the lack of games clearly influenced by F-Zero's gameplay today, it's kinda hard to then argue that WipEout hasn't been more influential, when pretty much every anti-grav racer since its creation has tried to replicate it directly (including its audiovisual presentation).

Between the two series, the only single game I've liked was F-Zero GX. The Nintendo developed F-Zeroes feel weird to me and so does Wipeout. There's something about how everything handled that AM2 got juuust right. Great graphics, music and atmosphere too. I'd kill for a proper sequel.

Top Bottom