• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Card Boy

Banned
RxgLOnz.jpg

which one should i get?

Wagram

okay so are the daily rewards random? or do certain times give 15 ore insetad of like what im getting now 15 meteor powder.

You get 15 ore or 15 scraps or 15 meteorite powder. After a certain amount of rounds you get 100 ore, 75 ore, 50 ore, 50 meteorite powder in that order.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Did they change how weather works for the open beta? Not a huge fan of it hitting one side, I liked the mind game it had when you had to play your own units around it.

Did they change how weather works for the open beta? Not a huge fan of it hitting one side, I liked the mind game it had when you had to play your own units around it.

Yeah it's just an obnoxious dot now. Worst part it ticks at the start of your turn so if you're behind by 2 and they pass, you're getting ticked for 4. You need 11 to win with one card.

Weather is just shithouse in every iteration. With the role of card advantage getting dialed back and Aeromancy getting nerfed, the old weather might have been fairer.

Thematically seeing frost in the siege row just looks wrong to me.

RxgLOnz.jpg

which one should i get?

In terms of pure power I feel like Caranthir is actually the most powerful of the 3. Zoltan's upside is capped ( 7 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 12, maybe more if you're trying to boost persistent units), Hjalmar requires other cards to kill the giant, but Caranthir, assuming your opponent has enough units, is, without any other set up, is worth at the least 5 + 5 = 10, but with huge potential upside. ( if the weather isn't cleared, if the you ended up dragging the units to a row that already had other units, etc).

Been playing this Crach An Craite deck all night, courtesy of GumGumFacePunch from the gwentlemen. It's complicated to play since you need to get positioning/sequencing right, but other than 1 match in the beginning when I was learning how to play it, I did my win 6 rounds/win 12 rounds dailies without losing, even with some mistakes along the way. Greyboxer's version of this deck (http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18333-greyboxers-viking-metal-warriors) has a good guide about how to sequence the beginning plays etc, but I picked GumGum's version because it had more of the cards I already had :p

It's an interesting deck, reminds me a lot of the December meta's Roach/Olgierd ST, in that you never fucking pass round 1, build up lots of base strength, and win rounds 2/3 through your huge sticky units like Morkvarg/Olgierd and res your big Hunters. One neat trick you can pull off with this deck is that by positioning your units correctly you can actually benefit from Frost, e.g. your melee row is Morkvarg -> Hunter -> Hunter -> Olgierd, each turn your hunters get + 2 base strength, which means you don't actually lose any strength from Frost, and instead build it up for later rounds.

I have been told that a balance hotfix is expected early next week, so I expect this deck will get nerfed then.

JustinBB7

No wipe makes a huge difference. I played enough during closed beta to get to rank 3, but now that I know my progress won't get wiped I'm ready to really dive in.

Yea but playing in the closed beta gave you tons of kegs for levels + ranks though, so it was worth it.

I want to mess around with this deck but I'm missing Ciri. Don't want to craft her cause I know she is unlocked at 16 right?

I don't think you get her anymore, so I just crafted her. People in discord were saying it's random reward now.

zkorejo

So I never played the closed beta and i have a few questions:

I dont understand all the diff currency. The first one is like normal currency for buying amd crafting. Other is blue meteorite powder for transmuting cards. What is ores? It does nothing afaik.

Another thing, what does transmuting does? I know it replaces the card with its animated version, but does it add anything else to it or is it just because it looks cool?

If I only main with one deck, it IS okay to mill the golds and silvers from other decks right? (Already did it but I want to know if I made a mistake).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You can see the reward table under options -> rewards and Ciri is not there.

JustinBB7

You can see the reward table under options -> rewards and Ciri is not there.

I think she was at level 18 or 20 and 20 says you get 1 card. Not which card though, but I think it's just a random rare/epic. Legendary cards are most likely higher up the reward table.

FeD.nL

So I never played the closed beta and i have a few questions:

I dont understand all the diff currency. The first one is like normal currency for buying amd crafting. Other is blue meteorite powder for transmuting cards. What is ores? It does nothing afaik.

Another thing, what does transmuting does? I know it replaces the card with its animated version, but does it add anything else to it or is it just because it looks cool?

If I only main with one deck, it IS okay to mill the golds and silvers from other decks right? (Already did it but I want to know if I made a mistake).

Ore is for buying kegs. And transmuting is purely cosmetic.

Haly

The quality of the discord has been rapidly decreasing every day as Hearthstone babbies flood it to whine, for the 100th time, how unfair RNR is, ask for "the best deck/faction", or bring in stupid drama because they have the maturity of 12 year olds.

Ugh does everyone just play niflgaard what a fucking annoying faction.

A lot of players just google "most powerful Gwent decks" and build whatever the Internet suggests. It's why we had so many consume monster and ambush ST decks in closed beta, so it seems Nilfgaard is the new "I can't think for myself" deck =P That deck definitely seems OP though. I played against one yesterday and the guy played a 10 point gold card that boosted itself by 15 points because he was losing the round. So... that's a 25 point gold. How the actual f*** is that balanced!? Geralt for example has exactly the same mechanic, 10 points that boosts when losing, but boosts by 3...

I'm still loving my dwarf deck, and am really happy it's so similar to closed beta. Quen is incredibly useful now though, so that's good to see. The only thing I really detest in this version of the game is the weather. It NEEDS to affect both rows or it's just not strategic, and completely un-thematic. This is a battlefield. How can biting frost affect one melee row but not the other?

Suggestion: All weather cards can affect any row, but will affect the chosen row on both sides of the board when spawned
FOG: Damage the highest unit, calculated from all units on both rows, by 2 at the start of each turn.
RAIN: Damage the lowest unit, calculated from all units on both rows, by 2 at the start of each turn.
FROST: Damage all units on both rows by 1 at the start of each turn - lots more units are frost resistant in all decks (like closed beta), and many Wild Hunt units receive buffs when affected by Frost.

The quality of the discord has been rapidly decreasing every day as Hearthstone babbies flood it to whine, for the 100th time, how unfair RNR is, ask for "the best deck/faction", or bring in stupid drama because they have the maturity of 12 year olds.

I jumped on for the first time in a couple months.

Yikes

Haly

Drought.

Will literally win you games.

Hystzen

I use Nilfgaard but I didn't google deck builds :(

I rather make it myself plus throwing rot tossers on each row never gets old after letting other player buff up

JustinBB7

Winning a lot with an unfinished discard skellige (not queensguard). Don't even have sigfrida yet! But it's working well. Level 8 now, getting closer to ranking up again.

I crafted the neutral "Operator" card and tried it out in a match vs AI.

"Operator" to create a base copy of a "Queensguard" in both player's hands. Opponent plays it in round 1, it lands in their graveyard. I play "Birna Bran" in round 2 to move that "Queensguard" into my graveyard.

Result: https://gfycat.com/MinorVioletGreatwhiteshark

You can create some disgusting combos with this. I forget the name of the card but there's a Skellige bard card that strengthens units of your choice in your graveyard. You can even decoy him to do it twice. It's incredibly difficult to win Round 3 against Ceres decks when their draws are good.

You can create some disgusting combos with this. I forget the name of the card but there's a Skellige bard card that strengthens units of your choice in your graveyard. You can even decoy him to do it twice. It's incredibly difficult to win Round 3 against Ceres decks when their draws are good.

Operator can't copy silver cards any more. You're talking about Draig.

Decoy is this card:

Which does still work with silvers. And yep, Draig is the one, thanks! With Decoy you can trigger his perma buff twice, strengthening all four Queensguards.

Still quite doable but yeah there was a point after the previous major patch where Queensguard was completely nuts and you could get them to like 15 a piece with just Draig and Cerys would be 21. 70 points in 2 cards!

That lasted all of 4 days. Literally the fastest anything was ever nerfed in this game lol

JustinBB7

Still quite doable but yeah there was a point after the previous major patch where Queensguard was completely nuts and you could get them to like 15 a piece with just Draig and Cerys would be 21. 70 points in 2 cards!

That lasted all of 4 days. Literally the fastest anything was ever nerfed in this game lol

Unlike PFI and ST chains which lasted months lol. That QG was so fun back then.

Lucumo

Ugh does everyone just play niflgaard what a fucking annoying faction.

Really? I play it myself but don't see others that often. Monsters is probably top.

Anyway, I'm thinking of switching out the card that increases 5 adjacent units' strength by 4. Is there any good silver card replacement, when I'm pretty much just playing the starter deck, so no spying etc?

btw: Does Treason play any card, even if it's a gold one? Would be cool to have two Geralts on the field.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AI somehow gets 2+ cards to put in their hand for next round while I'm having to go for broke to attempt to win 2 rounds.

>:|

TheKeyPit

Banned
Oh, damn. I tried my best against a Monster deck in round 1, but I decided to pass at one point. My opponent nearly destroyed me with weather cards in round 2 but I barely survived and won the round by 2 points. Round 3 started with me having Commanders Horn, Decoy and Queensguard left in my hand. I played my Queensguard, summoning three others and my opponent forfeited.

I was so close to losing round 2.

Edit: Weather cards were on top and bottom row. I somehow managed to turn the tables with those Pirate(?) cards that discard all their copies. I put them in the middle and barely made it, lol. Intense.

AndersK

Finally kegged myself 3 Queensguard. That way i can replace the An Caithe warroirs and heralds in my discard deck and stop playing on two weakened horses due to lack of collection.

I often get 14, 11, 11 Queensgaurd in the last round. That 4 power bard guy is fire.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Finally kegged myself 3 Queensguard. That way i can replace the An Caithe warroirs and heralds in my discard deck and stop playing on two weakened horses due to lack of collection.

I often get 14, 11, 11 Queensgaurd in the last round. That 4 power bard guy is fire.
I'd really like to put him in my deck, but my silver cards are already maxed out with Olgierd, Morkvarg, Decoy, Operator, ?????(guy who lets you draw one and discard one card), Commanders Horn.

+That bard guy could be used three times, right? Deploy once, use Decoy, revive him with the Silver Revive card from Skellige?

Edit: He could be played four times. Add "Restore" to it and it would be possible in three rounds.

Edit2: Oh lol. "Draig" is insane. I need to get "Restore" into my deck, but I've gotta sacrifice another silver card for that. That's a bit too reliant on one card :/

JustinBB7

Is there a hearthstone type deal in regards to future cards/expansions?

Or is the base amount gonna be the only cards we get?

Plan is 20 new cards every 2 months, which is also when ranked season will reset.

Also full blown actual single player mode coming. (as in walking around as characters, not just playing cards)

TheKeyPit

Banned
Well, someone with a Scoia ****** me pretty bad. I had no clue what that person was doing to get that much dwarfs onto the battlefield in round 1 and 2.

AndersK

I'd really like to put him in my deck, but my silver cards are already maxed out with Olgierd, Morkvarg, Decoy, Operator, ?????(guy who lets you draw one and discard one card), Commanders Horn.

+That bard guy could be used three times, right? Deploy once, use Decoy, revive him with the Silver Revive card from Skellige?

Edit: He could be played four times. Add "Restore" to it and it would be possible in three rounds.

Edit2: Oh lol. "Draig" is insane. I need to get "Restore" into my deck, but I've gotta sacrifice another silver card for that. That's a bit too reliant on one card :/

Yeah, he's one of the only silvers i've drawn from kegs, so i can't really complain about have much choice.

In other news, vs Nilf is fun when they get hold of all 3 vidivaro medics. They're not only stealing my queenbaes, i spent at lot of time doting on them first! Scumbags.

Top Bottom