• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

SL128

I was listening to the Trespasser discussion thinking it sounds amazing and then Chris said he was bummed because if he'd never seen the actual game and only heard the discussion he'd think the game sounds great.

Should I just hold on to my dreams and not watch any of the videos?
I think it's absolutely worth watching:
Cool combat https://clips.twitch.tv/NastyInterestingPicklesWholeWheat
Staying still to avoid getting spotted https://clips.twitch.tv/SneakyOriginalSandwichPeoplesChamp
Raptor scripted to attack turns out to have passive AI https://clips.twitch.tv/CourageousArtisticPeachDoubleRainbow
And then there are a bunch of sequences that couldn't be accurately clipped due to time, and their nature of feeling like bizarre Sisyphean roadblocks within the greater whole, like needing to punch in a keypad or stacking crates for jumping puzzles.

fallout

I'm not sure if Important If True re-energized the three Thumbs or not, but the last few casts of both shows have been fantastic. I've had a hard time keeping myself from laughing out loud on the bus when listening.

That said, these recent endorsements from Chris are slowly descending into lifehacker.com territory.

radaxian

I was listening to the Trespasser discussion thinking it sounds amazing and then Chris said he was bummed because if he'd never seen the actual game and only heard the discussion he'd think the game sounds great.

Should I just hold on to my dreams and not watch any of the videos?

Me too! I was planning to track it down and experience it for myself. I think I'll check out the videos instead.

Edit: looks like a digital copy isn't available legally either

Boem

Congrats on becoming a husband Jake!

I hope Chris did/didn't freak out during his Best Man Speech and started Goldbluming up the place.

Enjoy your honeymoon!
Probably don't bring Zelda. Probably.

mcw

Jake's getting married? Congrats, sir!

I feel like we should all chip in and get something valuable for the bride and groom. Maybe a shoe horn?

So I'm guessing the lyric 'That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything' from the Lemon Demon song 'The Machine' is an arcane reference, if that phrase dates back to usenet? Wouldn't surprise me.

This latest episode of Important if True was another cracker. I went to favourite it in my Podcast App, also favourited the last episode, then realised basically every ep so far has been top tier and I'd just end up starring them all! Good job, gents.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I believe Jake's story about the his field trip to the medical dungeon has been told before, at least in part, on Idle Thumbs. Chris and Nick's reactions suggest they blocked out the original traumatic memories. (Although it's very possible Nick wasn't there for that episode and was hearing it for the first time on IIT.)

Anno

It's definitely been told before. I thought it might have been on the episode with Brad Shoemaker in the 90s where they talk about some high school stuff but it doesn't seem like it. I know Chris wasn't quite as appalled the first time around lol.

SL128

I believe Jake's story about the his field trip to the medical dungeon has been told before, at least in part, on Idle Thumbs. Chris and Nick's reactions suggest they blocked out the original traumatic memories. (Although it's very possible Nick wasn't there for that episode and was hearing it for the first time on IIT.)
This was discussed on the Idle Forums. The episode was literally called Half a Brain! Apparently it was also discussed in a progress cast and maybe another episode.

What if the half of Chris Remo's brain that heard the story was secretly removed after 2014? :O

Rufus

Human memory is so incredibly shit. Thank goodness for technology.

And then eventually scream in terror, I guess.

dLMN8R

Something True is AMAZING. Fantastic production values too. And I love that the episodes are short and sweet.

For the story told in episode 2 though - how does anyone know it happened? Are we sure it's actually a true story? Given the events in the story I find it hard to believe that anyone would be able to tell it after the fact!

Jintor

This was discussed on the Idle Forums. The episode was literally called Half a Brain! Apparently it was also discussed in a progress cast and maybe another episode.

What if the half of Chris Remo's brain that heard the story was secretly removed after 2014? :O

What if half of Chris's brain is a 45 brain

Lijik

Something If True has been great, i love that its relatively short too. Makes it easier to fit into my cramped podcast schedule lmao

also i keep meaning to post this but i LOVE the current rendition of the idle thumbs theme that plays on IT/IIT. its probably my favorite version yet

haendeul

The retelling of half a brain was a really strange experience. I knew I'd heard the story before, but I couldn't remember when and where or how. Still, the strangest experience was when the same Lego Jurassic Park email was read and discusses to weeks in a row, and no-one on the cast noticed. I started doubting myself and wondered if I'd listened to the same pod again.

also i keep meaning to post this but i LOVE the current rendition of the idle thumbs theme that plays on IT/IIT. its probably my favorite version yet

I agree. Both the IIT and latest Idle Thumbs theme are my favourites since the original song.

Jake

I think there was a new episode of Important If True published today, but I'm not seeing it on my feed :-(

It's not published to RSS yet because (lol) I'm on my honeymoon in Hawaii and Chris is in London at the BAFTAs. It'll go up soon I'm sure?

Edit: both are posted now!

Piggo

It's not published to RSS yet because (lol) I'm on my honeymoon in Hawaii and Chris is in London at the BAFTAs. It'll go up soon I'm sure?

Pullin' out the classic Honeymoon in Hawaii & BAFTAs excuse.

Congrats Jake!

mcw

Highlight of today's podcast:

Chris: Jake's out today, because he's getting married! And today's show is brought to you by ProFlowers. Beautiful flowers, delivered for any occasion!
Spaff: We should have used ProFlowers to send flowers for Jake's wedding.
Chris: .....Uh, don't make the same mistake we just made! Go to ProFlowers.com, and use the offer code THUMBS...

Anno

I'm glad that the girl and the water heater made it on this week's IIT. I watched that video and thought to myself, "I need to send this in, the Thumbs crew will love this." Then like three second later I realized at least two hundred and fifty people already had.

Also grats Jake on getting hitched. Enjoy Hawaii.

spiritfox

I'm glad that the girl and the water heater made it on this week's IIT. I watched that video and thought to myself, "I need to send this in, the Thumbs crew will love this." Then like three second later I realized at least two hundred and fifty people already had.

Also grats Jake on getting hitched. Enjoy Hawaii.

With the number of people sending it in I'll be surprised if they didn't talk about it lol

It's definitely been told before. I thought it might have been on the episode with Brad Shoemaker in the 90s where they talk about some high school stuff but it doesn't seem like it. I know Chris wasn't quite as appalled the first time around lol.

We're absolute morons apparently. But I definitely believe that I was more revolted this time. I've found that as I've gotten older (not that I'm all that old) my tolerance for seeing and imagining visceral violence has decreased a lot, even in totally fictional contexts like film and games. Obviously Jake was describing something clinical and not violent, but just the notion of that scene is more off-putting to me than it probably would have been several years ago (although it was still gross I'm sure).

demidar

Highlight of today's podcast:

Chris: Jake's out today, because he's getting married! And today's show is brought to you by ProFlowers. Beautiful flowers, delivered for any occasion!
Spaff: We should have used ProFlowers to send flowers for Jake's wedding.
Chris: .....Uh, don't make the same mistake we just made! Go to ProFlowers.com, and use the offer code THUMBS...

Yo Spaff makes an appearance? Fully sick mate!

Chris! Why on earth would you shut down a new revelation of Breckon self-sabotage in the Horizon talk?? There's a pretty good chance something that ruins Nick is perfectly fine for normal consumption :p

Congrats Jake!

Rufus

Relevant spider video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diOhwvRYlsU

Oh, during the segment I was alsp imagining an exoskeleton covered in a tactically deployable skin made of spiders. Picture it threateningly placing a hand on a table, then a myriad of tiny (but deadly!) spiders slide off it's arm like a cut sleeve and pool on the table.

mcw

I don't know if IIT is for me... I've listened to every episode and I love the Thumbs-- maybe it's just me, but this show is just so depressing.

Top Bottom