• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The ONLY thing I like about Metroid+Starfox would be the possibilities for asymetric multiplayer. Still, the idea of mixing the two is making me cringe. I just can't help it. If it's true, then I look forward to having my gut feeling proven wrong.

There's nothing wrong with the idea on a mechanical level. It's the bastardisation of two franchises that's repulsive.

I don't know if I can ban myself, but I'm issuing a self enforced leave of absence for the entirety of E3 if this nightmare comes true.

There's nothing wrong with the idea on a mechanical level. It's the bastardisation of two franchises that's repulsive.

I don't know if I can ban myself, but I'm issuing a self enforced leave of absence for the entirety of E3 if this nightmare comes true.

Yeah, even if the game itself is the greatest thing ever, there's just no way you can combine these two franchises and make it appealing to fans of either.

lednerg

One of the big problems is that the Star Fox characters couldn't just pass off as aliens from another galaxy or something, because they're all anthropomorphic earth animals. So it would be like Kermit the Frog being a character in Alien.
There's that and there's also how the tone of the two franchises are completely at odds with each other. I don't see how it would help either IP gain fans; the dudebros sure as hell would avoid it like the plague, which is the opposite of what Nintendo needs to be doing with the system. I know Nintendo fans have a soft spot for the Starfox characters, but they really aren't all that compelling when you get down to it. It comes off as being an ill conceived fanfic.

Of course I could be wrong, and they've re-imagined Fox, Slippy and friends as being major badasses with rich back stories. But at that point, you may as well just create new characters from scratch.

Lol, I may just join you. (Not in a ban, but in leaving for a good long while out of sheer disappointment)

As someone who loves Metroid Fusion and Star Fox 64...this is the worst of all ideas.

If this happens, I'm getting banned from my inevitable meltdown. I'm going full-on, Burntpork mode.

7threst

By the way. Number one reason this is just someone shitty fanboy rumor..

Mii Battle already does this. Mii Battle is a game with Metroid, Arguably Star Fox and other Properties, and Miis in a third person shooter setting with ships and on foot crossplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3S3ruB2RO4

I don't see how the existance of this game (what is it, is this really going to be released? Or is it just to show off the WiiU capabilities as a tech demo?) rules out he existance of the Star Fox-Metroid game. Not that I want a game like that to exist though.

Me too please. I'll definitely take a ban of a couple weeks or so if it's real.

PogiJones

Banned

Even on a mechanical level I think it's wrong. Metroid is all about slow, solitary exploration. Breaking it up into "levels" goes completely contrary to Metroid. I thought even Fusion was too level-y, let alone this alleged game.

Oddduck

Ya know what?

I think this Metroid-Star Fox is real and it will be awesome.

The problem is whether people can get the slow, solitary exploration thing out of their heads, and allow Metroid to have faster action packed gameplay.

I think there's a lot of Metroid fans who just don't like Star Fox period.

But the truth of the matter is the sci fi world that Retro creates. There's no fucking company right now that understands Metroid better than Retro Studios. And everyone was dead wrong when they said a first person perspective wouldn't work for Metroid.

In the words of Nibel "Let the masters work".

I'm loving this OS talk. I always just assumed they would throw some wii chips in there to do system/controller stuff and leave the rest for the games. Hearing there is most likely a dedicated ARM ans a seperate pool of memory just for multitasking and features has me excited. Pause a game and jump into Netflix while I eat dinner? Full party/video chat ongoing during a game? *new nintendoesque idea for social I integration that I would never think of*? Cool.

Sadist

I don't see how the existance of this game (what is it, is this really going to be released? Or is it just to show off the WiiU capabilities as a tech demo?) rules out he existance of the Star Fox-Metroid game. Not that I want a game like that to exist though.
It's a techdemo. ;)

I believe he's trying to say that this rumour is made up and they used the Battle Mii demo as an inspiration.

What's interesting on the Metroid/Star Fox rumor is that bg said it wasn't an existing IP.

Has he spoken about this???

And yes, I count that as an exisitng IP even if it's two mashed together.

BurntPork

Banned

Would you ban me before you go?

PogiJones

Banned
Ya know what?

I think this Metroid-Star Fox is real and it will be awesome.

The problem is whether people can get the slow, solitary exploration thing out of their heads, and allow Metroid to have faster action packed gameplay.

I think there's a lot of Metroid fans who just don't like Star Fox period.

But the truth of the matter is the sci fi world that Retro creates. There's no fucking company right now that understands Metroid better than Retro Studios. And everyone was dead wrong when they said a first person perspective wouldn't work for Metroid.

In the words of Nibel "Let the masters work".

To me, that's like saying Mario fans should get the jumping thing out of their heads.

And BTW, I loved StarFox 64. Haven't played any of the more recent ones (besides SF Adventures), but I gold-medaled both normal and hard, every level, and unlocked the infantry option for multiplayer. I love both series, but I think it would wreck Metroid's style more than StarFox's.

I'm loving this OS talk. I always just assumed they would throw some wii chips in there to do system/controller stuff and leave the rest for the games. Hearing there is most likely a dedicated ARM ans a seperate pool of memory just for multitasking and features has me excited. Pause a game and jump into Netflix while I eat dinner? Full party/video chat ongoing during a game? *new nintendoesque idea for social I integration that I would never think of*? Cool.

Once again, I go back to this article.

With Project Cafe, Nintendo aims to create the first social game console. What do I mean by this? Well, here's where you have to start imagining the future with me. First off, no more friend codes, that's for damn sure. But start to think about what a company like Nintendo would want to do to have players gaming and sharing together. Take a look at what it's done with StreetPass on the 3DS (where players' items and achievements can be shared with others nearby even when the system is closed) and think about what it could do on its next connected console. Nintendo merely scratched the surface with its Mii parade (where peoples' virtual avatars could migrate to others' machines) and user generated polls on the Wii -- 5 years later, the company has much more ambitious plans. The new console will be designed around the concept of connecting, sharing, and gaming with others. Like you were gaming together in a café, if you will.

I'll take things a step further. Care to guess where the name "Stream" comes from? You've likely seen the supposed leaked image of the system's ability to stream games to its controller screens, but my understanding is that Nintendo aims to take this concept further and stream video of games being played to other peoples' machines so that friends can see what each other are up to. When you look at Nintendo consoles and handhelds, there's often a clear progression of its intent -- what starts as an experimental feature in one generation fully takes form in another. Chris Kohler just pointed out on Wired, for instance, that Project Cafe's touch-screen controller makes perfect sense if you look at Nintendo's past with the GBA to GameCube link cable.

So when I see the current Wii's dashboard of different TV screens, I can't help but think of that concept taken to the next level: seeing all of my friends' games playing in the different windows. You know, not that unlike what OnLive offers with its streaming service. Forget Facebook alerting you to what your friends have been doing in their games -- how about a platform that actually shows you?

But here's where things get potentially even cooler. Imagine seeing your friend's game in one of the screens. You click on it, and -- provided you have the game too -- you then seamlessly join his or her game. No waiting until the next match and no buffering to sync up consoles. Just a seamless online experience, exactly as Nintendo would want it. And the beauty of this is that the concept extends to not only new games, but potentially Nintendo's back catalog of classics. Got a friend racing the AI in Super Mario Kart? What if the game was retrofitted so that you could hop right in at any given moment? That, my friends, may well be the promise of Project Cafe.

And then there's the whole aspect of content sharing. Sony kicked things off nicely with LittleBigPlanet, but there's obviously so much more that could be done with a console designed around social gaming. One of the features I remember Nintendo touting in the early days of the Wii that never really materialized was the ability to push content to the console since it's always on. Sure, we ended up with emails telling us what we played and what not, but the concept was supposed to be so much more -- you were supposed to be able to check your machine each day and have new things waiting for you. So now, imagine checking your Project Cafe each morning and seeing new creations from your friends or even Nintendo. New levels for games, new characters or items to use, new demos for games you're interested in -- there could be all sorts of new things to see and do each time you open your console. I'm telling you, whether Nintendo pulls this off or not, there's a console experience here that's far more enticing than the one we're used to today.

And the best part is, a lot of this is already happening with the 3DS. We're going to see a big big focus on social gaming with the Wii U, and it's going to be very interesting.

I don't know, slower Metroid(the Primes) was much more Metroid than faster Metroid(Other M) regardless of the pace of the 2D games of yesteryear.

But that's the magic of Retro.

The Primes were much more immersive(for lack of an actually cool term) for me.

wsippel

Banned
I don't know, slower Metroid(the Primes) was much more Metroid than faster Metroid(Other M) regardless of the pace of the 2D games of yesteryear.

But that's the magic of Retro.

The Primes were much more immersive(for lack of an actually cool term) for me.
In my opinion, Metroid isn't so much about pacing. You can make it faster or slower without the game being any less "Metroid" - Other M isn't even really that much faster than Prime. What I see in "Metroid" was in Other M, which is why I consider it a "Metroid" game through and through. And while some aspects of the game certainly backfired, it was still the right direction for the franchise in many ways.

Peru

It was the wrong direction in every way. Gameplay specifics are less important than the sense of isolation, a quiet, mysterious atmosphere, and no cheesy fucking cutscenes, pompous plotlines, idiotic dialogue, things disrupting your exploration at every corner.

PogiJones

Banned
In my opinion, Metroid isn't so much about pacing. You can make it faster or slower without the game being any less "Metroid" - Other M isn't even really that much faster than Prime. What I see in "Metroid" was in Other M, which is why I consider it a "Metroid" game through and through. And while some aspects of the game certainly backfired, it was still the right direction for the franchise in many ways.

I liked Other M, but I had the same problem with that game that I did with Fusion: locking off areas or seemingly no other reason than to point you in the right direction. I think Super Metroid is the quintessential example: there was a set direction you SHOULD go, but if you could figure out how to get places early, what's the harm? And that's why the lack of narrated story serves the series so well, because sequence-breaking doesn't ruin anything.

test_account

XP-39C²
Really? Media outlets refused to review Wii games? Wow.
While I've been playing Wii/DS for a while, I only started checking the gaming media recently. Needless to say, a lot of the Nintendo hate really took me by surprise.
It is probably a comment on one (or a few) specific game. Besides, if it is one magazine or site, it must have been pretty small to stick to that principle, so it is far from a general thing. Concidering all the different outlets that excist, this doesnt really mean much.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'm calling it now.
The Metroid X Stafox thing will be called Acid Ghost.
Believe.

DrWong

Metroid x Starfox...? Wow. You need big balls to greenlight something like that, big balls and a clever vision of where you want to go. Or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom