• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network |OT| $9.99 PPVs, that's gonna put some butts in the seats

Carnby

In theory the network should also ensure WWE improve their current product, because there's no point committing to this huge venture and then turning fans away with garbage booking and poor matches.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

...Oh wait, you're being serious.

Entropia

No One Remembers
http://www.wwe.com/help#twelve

12. Will encores of Raw, SmackDown and Main Event be on WWE Network?
Encores of Raw and SmackDown from 2012 and 2013 will be available on WWE Network.

Uh??

http://www.wwe.com/help#one
1. What is WWE Network?
WWE Network is a 24/7 streaming service with both scheduled programming and an on-demand library. WWE Network will include all 12 WWE live pay-per-view events including WrestleMania 30, groundbreaking original series, reality shows and documentaries, and the most comprehensive video-on-demand library featuring all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views and classic matches uncut and uncensored as well as replays of Raw and SmackDown episodes from 2012 and 2013. Additional programming, including a live daily studio show coming this summer, and video-on-demand content will be added regularly.

If I am understanding that... we really won't be able to go back and watch, for example the full episode of RAW where Y2J debuted?

EDIT
Some of these questions/answers are contradictory. Like the above state 2012 and 2013 RAW and Smackdowns, but then there's these answers where they don't specify 2012/2013

http://www.wwe.com/help#ten
10. What content will I find on WWE Network?
WWE Network is a 24/7 streaming service with both scheduled programming and an on-demand library. WWE Network will include all 12 WWE live pay-per-view events including WrestleMania 30, groundbreaking original series, reality shows and documentaries, and the most comprehensive video-on-demand library featuring all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views and classic matches uncut and uncensored as well as replays of Raw and SmackDown episodes. Additional programming, including a live daily studio show coming this summer, and video-on-demand content will be added regularly.

http://www.wwe.com/help#fourteen
14. Will classic WWE content be available on WWE Network?
Yes, your WWE Network subscription will include access to the most comprehensive video-on-demand library featuring all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views and classic matches uncut and uncensored as well as replays of Raw and SmackDown episodes. Additional content will be added regularly.

What about future pay-per-views? Still the 60?

They are basically trying to cannibalize the entire PPV market. So rather than the consumer spending $60/PPV (of which the WWE sees very little after broadcast/provider fees etc.) they are offering Live Free "Pay-per-views" on the Network for $10/month (of which the WWE will see most of as they will own the infrastructure to deliver the content).

jred2k

http://www.wwe.com/help#twelve

Uh??

http://www.wwe.com/help#one

If I am understanding that... we really won't be able to go back and watch, for example the full episode of RAW where Y2J debuted?

EDIT
Some of these questions/answers are contradictory. Like the above state 2012 and 2013 RAW and Smackdowns, but then there's these answers where they don't specify 2012/2013

http://www.wwe.com/help#ten

http://www.wwe.com/help#fourteen

Yeah we are basically going to get "Full Length Moments" and matches like they had been putting up on their YouTube channel. If you look at the stuff they were uploaded late last year it seemed to pretty much be a trial run for the way they'd deliver content with the network. At least the trickle of content won't be as slow, hopefully.

They really seem to underestimate how much people want to watch full shows that aren't PPVs. Or they just don't care.

Kaladin

They keep changing the vernacular of the back content they will provide and every time they get more specific it gets worse and worse.

I know I say it's just bonus for me, because the real meat and potatoes is 24/7 stream + Live PPVs and original content, but it's just bringing me down everytime they downgrade their offerings.

Yeah we are basically going to get "Full Length Moments" and matches like they had been putting up on their YouTube channel. If you look at the stuff they were uploaded late last year it seemed to pretty much be a trial run for the way they'd deliver content with the network. At least the trickle of content won't be as slow, hopefully.

They really seem to underestimate how much people want to watch full shows that aren't PPVs. Or they just don't care.

Or it could just take time to get everything all up at once. I doubt they'd blow their full load on content within the first month. Probably will get a trickle of full length episodes of Raw, Smackdown, Nitro, ECW as time goes on.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Smart move is to trickle it, or make certain content only on the live channel and later appearing in the backcatalogue.

Still, it need a 'core' bunch of shows - beyond just those PPVs. I'm sure they'll respond with peoples' requests and viewing habits - these metrics are going to help them a LOT.

Maybe the dream I have of commentary matches where the two (or more) wrestlers involved in a big match commentate over it, like a director's commentary...maybe that can be the reality!

To be fair they have to do a shit ton of editing. Music, sponsors, and whatever else they have to edit. Especially WCW and ECW must be a nightmare.

Chuckl3s

They are basically trying to cannibalize the entire PPV market. So rather than the consumer spending $60/PPV (of which the WWE sees very little after broadcast/provider fees etc.) they are offering Live Free "Pay-per-views" on the Network for $10/month (of which the WWE will see most of as they will own the infrastructure to deliver the content).

Make sense but wouldn't this decrease the value that WWE puts in to each PPV? I know the WWE has changed since I was a kid but each PPV was worth the $60. Entertainment value was worth it. I know recent PPVs haven't been up to par.

Kaladin

I'm sure they're smart enough to dangle the carrot every 6 months to make sure you resubscribe.

Live PPV and original content will keep their core fanbase who provide them with Raw ratings week after week subscribing. It's the lapsed fans that will leave when the VOD content isn't as robust as advertised.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Make sense but wouldn't this decrease the value that WWE puts in to each PPV? I know the WWE has changed since I was a kid but each PPV was worth the $60. Entertainment value was worth it. I know recent PPVs haven't been up to par.

Maybe.

They're going to take a large part of the piracy crowd who prefer to watch on their computers, alone - that market will generally be happy to pay for an HQ stream that is solid and not stuttering.

This will also allow them to have a far more even incoming cash flow, so no more giant ebbs and flows of income. It's a smart choice because they're also pricing themselves cheaper than indie iPPVs, which only a diehard market really buy, but they're making their indie PPVs look expensive.

What is interesting leverage is that an indie company could contract with WWE to stream their iPPV on their service, give WWE a cut, and get bigger exposure. Not without some strings attached, for sure, but it's an interesting approach. Basically using WWE as a publisher for their product.

joelseph

They really seem to underestimate how much people want to watch full shows that aren't PPVs.

This right here. We have to be setting ourselves up for disappointment. =(

If the WWEN doesn't shake out how hard would it be for me to start trying to track down everything and watch specific era's chronologically?

jred2k

Or it could just take time to get everything all up at once. I doubt they'd blow their full load on content within the first month. Probably will get a trickle of full length episodes of Raw, Smackdown, Nitro, ECW as time goes on.

I definitely think it will eventually be there. Right now it is a huge missed opportunity. The lapsed customers they could really make a killing on are after the content that won't be there in full. People that having been paying attention the past two years are probably already on board and don't need much convincing. For someone that only wants to watch Attitude Era content that content will be burned through in now time. If they can convince those people to start watching the new stuff then it will be good for them, but if not, resubs will be a hard thing to sell.

When they have full Raw and Smackdown episodes with no gaps it will be hard to resist buying this, the smackown six, the attitude era are great and I never got to see WCW. Doesn't sound like they have that now though.

styl3s

I'm sure they're smart enough to dangle the carrot every 6 months to make sure you resubscribe.
Exactly

I expect over the next few years they will start rolling out Nitro/Thunder, Raw/Smackdown etc. from the 90s/00s. Obviously it won't be there from the get go but it will happen eventually. They have to give people a reason to stay subbed, you can't just roll out every single raw, smackdown, nitro and thunder or people will just binge it all.

Yeah, the core base will stay for the PPV but for people like my friends who just care about Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania and attitude era they will only sub twice a year (unless this 6 month commitment thing stays forever which would be weird.)

This right here. We have to be setting ourselves up for disappointment. =(

If the WWEN doesn't shake out how hard would it be for me to start trying to track down everything and watch specific era's chronologically?
How can you set yourself up for disappointment when they have been painfully clear on what the WWE network is and what is going to launch?

A quick 10 second google will get you all that information. $60 for 6 ppvs including Wrestlemania and the entire PPV catalog of WCW/ECW/WWE? I would pay $20 a month for this, i would commit to $120.

WWE's library is fucking massive. Outside of all their own stuff they have:

American Wrestling Association (1957-1991)[3]
Georgia Championship Wrestling (1944-1985)
Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW)[5] (1994-2001) and its predecessor
Eastern Championship Wrestling (1992-1994)
Memphis Championship Wrestling (2000-2001) *
Ohio Valley Wrestling (1998-2008)*
Deep South Wrestling (2005-2007) *
Florida Championship Wrestling (2007-2012)*
NXT Wrestling (2012–Present) ****
Smoky Mountain Wrestling (1992-1995)[3]
Stampede Wrestling (1948-1989)[3]
Ultimate Pro Wrestling (1998-2007)
Global Wrestling Federation (1991-1994)
World Championship Wrestling (WCW)[4] (1988-2001)
Jim Crockett Promotions (1931-1988) which by the end included
Eastern States Championship Wrestling (1945-1973)
Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (1973-1988)
Central States Wrestling (c. early 1950s-1986)
Championship Wrestling from Florida (1961-1987)***
Championship Wrestling from Georgia (1984-1985)
NWA Tri-State/Mid-South Wrestling/UWF (1950s-1987)***
World Class Championship Wrestling (1966-1988**)[6]
Maple Leaf Wrestling (1930-1995

And more of the NWA stuff from the 70s 80s and 90s. The library purchases are finally going to pay off.

I could see a virtual console style rollout to keep fans attached. IE Raws from 1999 rolled out one week then another show rolled out the next. This is a must subscribe for wrestling fans that don't even watch WWE.

Levito

Banned
You know, I haven't watched WWE in over a decade. Gotta say though, as a big MMA fan, way jealous of what you guys are getting with the Network. It sounds like an amazing service. Meanwhile UFC.tv still charges $59 for PPV's even with the sub....

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I haven't watched WWE in over a decade. Gotta say though, as a big MMA fan, way jealous of what you guys are getting with the Network. It sounds like an amazing service. Meanwhile UFC.tv still charges $59 for PPV's even with the sub....

Fightpass has been shit. Just total shit.

Chuckl3s

WWE's library is fucking massive. Outside of all their own stuff they have:

And more of the NWA stuff from the 70s 80s and 90s. The library purchases are finally going to pay off.

I could see a virtual console style rollout to keep fans attached. IE Raws from 1999 rolled out one week then another show rolled out the next.

Holy Shit! That's a lot. It'd be awesome if they can acquire G.L.O.W.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WWE Network 'devalues' product; UFC will not follow suit

This is the kind of shit we have to deal with, Sunny. It will be funny to see him backtrack in a few years when the PPV model implodes and he's following in the footsteps of the world's best huckster, Vincent K. McMahon.

As a fan of maxed marshal farts, I deal with it too my friend. It's a shame. I understand that The Almighty Vince McMahon is a salesman like no other, a visionary who swings for the fences EVERY time, and that's unique. And Dana's...not. Dana's not on that level. He's a different guy selling a different product, but I think we both feel that his business can take some SERIOUS cues from what Vince has done and amplify their business.

Kaladin

I feel like UFC and MMA in general would benefit from storylines.....like wrestling style storylines. It could be more grounded in the real world, but still, give us a reason to care about these cans.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

...Oh wait, you're being serious.

At least the in ring product is pretty solid. Probably the best it's been in years, and with the up and comers in NXT it'll only get better. Unfortunately, a lot of what happens outside of the matches is pretty bad, and the horrible commentary doesn't help either.

Anyway, not sure if I want the network right now. I'm not a big fan of the current product, but I'll check out the free trial.

Levito

Banned
Dana White: WWE Network 'devalues' product; UFC will not follow suit

This is the kind of shit we have to deal with, Sunny. It will be funny to see him backtrack in a few years when the PPV model implodes and he's following in the footsteps of the world's best huckster, Vincent K. McMahon.

His argument makes no sense whatsoever. The pay per view model is a relic from the 80's, and it makes no sense in this day and age. For $60 I could buy a brand new videogame that I'll get to keep forever, yet they want me to pay that amount for a card that I'll only have access to for 48 hours? Fuck off Dana.

I'll stop bringing this thread off topic, just really have to appaud the WWE for creating a service that matches up with modern expectations.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like UFC and MMA in general would benefit from storylines.....like wrestling style storylines. It could be more grounded in the real world, but still, give us a reason to care about these cans.

Sonnen knows...

krae_man

PPV model does make more sense for UFC since they only do what 4 PPV's/year?

As opposed to WWE who does 12, 11 of which don't draw dick for buys. Plus the WWE does 8000 hours of free content on TV every week the UFC does not.

The pricing of PPV's is out of whack however. They base it off of getting a room filled with a dozen people chipping in, instead of one guy sitting on his computer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

As opposed to WWE who does 12, 11 of which don't draw dick for buys. Plus the WWE does 8000 hours of free content on TV every week the UFC does not.

Hell no, UFC does around 15ish per year.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I can see wwe uploadin more old raw episodes every six months.
Can't just unload tens of thousands of hours on the first day launch. Slow roll

Levito

Banned

God no, they do probably 30 events every year now.

$60 PPV's are about once a month, while FOX Sports shows and other broadcasts take up the rest.

Old, stupid business model that has no place in the instant access streaming model of today.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, really? Then they're nuts.

Even if you're strictly speaking about PPVs, they do a significant amount each year - and some of them tank BADLY. And they're at risk due to injuries happening out of friggin nowhere.

There's a big oversaturation issue right now in America at least with UFC. There's cards with people I've never even goddamn heard of, and we're supposed to give a shit? Nah...

Like Levito above said, UFC puts on around 40-50 "events" with PPVs being one of them. That's exhausting to a lot of people. You don't know who to expect on some of these cards.

I will say UFC seems to be a big draw at bars. Pretty much every sports bar around me orders them and I'm sure that costs a lot of money. WWE, not so much since I don't think people think of it as a sport

Heel

The aging PPV business model probably does make more sense for the UFC for the time being, due to their buyrates compared to WWE. They'd have to ask for more money from a smaller niche audience to make it balance out.

http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

That window is rapidly closing, especially considering their two biggest PPV draws are at the end of their careers. With the way UFC is handling their product, I think it's only a matter of time before it makes proper business sense to follow the WWE's pay model.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Dana White wants you to care about the UFC, not who's fighting in the UFC.

Levito

Banned
I will say UFC seems to be a big draw at bars. Pretty much every sports bar around me orders them and I'm sure that costs a lot of money. WWE, not so much since I don't think people think of it as a sport

The sport is more popular than it's ever been, but the buyrates continue to get worse and worse. Like I said, $60 for a 2-3 hour product makes no sense in a world where everyone watches HULU and Netflix.

Vince and company understand this, and have adjusted their business model to adapt to the new instant access world we live in.

Deadstar

Dana White: WWE Network 'devalues' product; UFC will not follow suit

He's right, it will devalue the product just like netflix devalues movies.....wait, no it doesn't. It celebrates the product and guarantee's money to be coming in for months and months.

Heel

The sport is more popular than it's ever been, but the buyrates continue to get worse and worse. Like I said, $60 for a 2-3 hour product makes no sense in a world where everyone watches HULU and Netflix.

Vince and company understand this, and have adjusted their business model to adapt to the new instant access world we live in.

Yeah, I think it would be wise of the UFC to make the change before it's an absolutely necessary one. Sadly I think they're content to wring every cent out of the hardcore fanbase on PPV while they still can, instead of making a splash and capturing as large of a subscription audience as possible.

With the UFC's quantity over quality approach over the last few years, the sport is slowly declining. PPV buyrates are dwindling, television ratings are dwindling, and by the time they execute they'll have missed out on a bigger opportunity.

Jamie OD

WWE kind of messed up for the first year because the first 6 months was supposed to end right before Summerslam with the idea that the show will entice viewers to continue their subscription. Somebody did the calculations and unfortunately for them, early subscriptions will reach the end of the 6 month cycle no earlier than a week AFTER Summerslam. So whoops on their part.

But yeah, I bet WWE is expecting the Network to do its best numbers during the Road To Wrestlemania period. If I was only going to subscribe for 6 months then I would join in January for Royal Rumble and that would take me up to June for Money In The Bank.

kirblar

The bubble doesn't understand how much their cultural relevance has diminished.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I wonder would WWE ever do deals with other promotions to air their content on the Networks?

NJPW, ROH, others?

We'll probably see TNA content by the end of the year. :p Jokes aside, I can't really see this happening. I'd love to see it though. I think someone in the wrasslin thread suggested that maybe they could air some indie iPPVs, but again, I think it's just going to be WWE and their tape library.

Top Bottom