• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wait is over - First PS3 Ad

teiresias said:
What does this have to do with the PS3 ad?

Do none of you remember the PS9 commercials they used for the PS2 launch? This "out there" and "ambiguous" advertising is pretty standard operating procedure for Sony around launch times of hardware.

It freaking says "PLAYSTATION 3" at the end of the ad!

BECAUSE ITS THE BEST AD EVER!!! did i stutter? :D

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Oh, and concerning the "They should just show gameplay!" point of view: showing games in the first ad for a new console is risky -- the viewer may not like the games being shown, or may not be able to see a big difference from the games he has now. An approach like this makes the console less tangible yet more desirable -- you are interested because it seems like a big event that many others are anticipating, even though you don't know much about it.

That's why for many recent hardware launches, initial commercials have had little or no gameplay footage at all (PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PSP).

neptunes

I like it, it's also very subtle.

You wouldn't even know it's a playstation 3 ad until the very end, no hints before that.

It's a teaser for the masses

The scene of him packing his backpack shows a commitment some people have to thier hobby and playstation brand.

rs7k

Zierath said:
This ad does not seem to actually advertise anything. Anyone that doesn't know about the Spiderman font=PS3 thing won't have a clue as to what this is about.

Ummm.. it does say Playstation 3 at the end. Even the non-gamers that came with me to see Jackass 2 knew what the ad was about.

It's very effective because you don't know what the trailer is about until the end, and then it makes more sense. The kid and the guy waiting on the roof know something's coming, that's why they're there. Cool ambiance music and then it starts roaring as soon as you see the 3 forming a shadow on the building. Works great on the audience because they finally see something sensical and then it cuts to a release date and then BAM, the PS logo with Playstation 3. Everyone knows what PS3 is gonna be, you don't need to show anything, you just need to tell the casual crowd that it's coming. That's why it's so effective.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mifune said:
*sigh*

Yes, and I thought this was a lame one. You're not gonna change my opinion.

Don't have to change your opinion. At least I know you recognize this ad as being what it is.

Gantz

Banned
Christopher said:
...are people really bitching about a font? the ****?

anyway sleek, stylish, and gives you a feeling of anticipation. Well done Sony.

Yes, it's one of the worst design choices ever. It's like if Nintendo decided to use the Simpsons font for the Wii to promote the upcoming Simpsons movie.

Cloud Man

That was kind of lame.

I’m sick of companies showing us a ad, and giving us no clue as to what they’re trying to sell.
:lol

FightyF

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Don't have to change your opinion. At least I know you recognize this ad as being what it is.

A BAD conceptual ad, I agree wholeheartedly completely 100% let me subscribe to your newsletter.

mckmas8808

Gantz said:
Yes, it's one of the worst design choices ever. It's like if Nintendo decided to use the Simpsons font for the Wii to promote the upcoming Simpsons movie.

Nintendo is making a Simpsons movie? First I've heard of this.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
So we've got

...the usual suspects proclaiming this the greatest thing since the electric condom
...the usual suspects downplaying it as "poo"
...a couple of others who read "PlayStation 3" as "Spiderman 3" because frankly, they're illiterate

Yet if I was to throttle you all, I'd go to jail. The irony.

Cloud Man said:
That was kind of lame.

I’m sick of companies showing us a ad, and giving us no clue as to what they’re trying to sell.
:lol

Did the Playstation 3 logo at the end not give you an idea? It's a teaser ad, its getting closer to launch and that's when the game ads will start.

mckmas8808

Fight for Freeform said:
A BAD conceptual ad, I agree wholeheartedly completely 100% let me subscribe to your newsletter.

It's your opinion. Many people seem to like it too. It has us talking about it too, so that speaks well for Sony.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
bishoptl said:
So we've got

...the usual suspects proclaiming this the greatest thing since the electric condom
...a couple of others who read "PlayStation 3" as "Spiderman 3" because frankly, they're illiterate

Someone should have cut out the Playsation 3 at the end to see the reactions =)

weepy

The immpression I got was that they were waiting for the ps3 mother ship to beam them up or something....it's weird but grand.

Cloud Man

SolidSnakex said:
Did the Playstation 3 logo at the end not give you an idea? It's a teaser ad, its getting closer to launch and that's when the game ads will start.

Well I knew it was a PS3 ad when I clicked on this thread. =P

What I meant to say is I’m sick of ads that don’t really give us a reason to buy their product.

Teaser Ad or not, they should give me something to peak my interest.

mckmas8808

Cloud Man said:
Well I knew it was a PS3 ad when I clicked on this thread. =P

What I meant to say is I’m sick of ads that don’t really give us a reason to buy their product.

People's interest is raised in this thread. Can't make everybody happy. :)

bishoptl said:
So we've got

Your mind's not on the game....

It's GOTTA be a woman.

Cloud Man

mckmas8808 said:
People's interest is raised in this thread. Can't make everybody happy. :)

Yeah but as a Ad it doesn’t work for me.

Oh well, I’m still buying a PS3 sometime in the near future.

As for right now, 360 for me. =)

FightyF

Banned
I'm going to give reasons why I thought it was a ridiculous concept ad.

The main purpose is to establish an identity. So let's forget about showing games, or why people should want it, etc. They have to sum up what their machine is about and maybe hint at what it can offer.

Microsoft's Balloon Fight ad, mock Gun Fight ad (banned in the States, but it's tied with Super Mario Advance 4 as the best ad in my book), and Jump Rope ad did a great job showing off the planned identity of the 360. An online gaming machine that promotes community and looks at fun as a collective activity.

Sony's ad proported an identity based on the idea that "this is a Sony product, and as such you will want it".

Lame.

-edit-

Oh wait, it's an ad for World Peace Day *LOL*

Safe Bet

Banned
Cloud Man said:

In all honesty, I think this ad is geared more to creating excitement in those already fans of the Playstation that have an unquestioning intent of purchase more than trying to entice new customers.

I am sure later Sony (read: Playstation) will concentrate on other consumers but for right now, as we get close to Launch...

It's all about the Faithful baby...

*damn I say that alot*

Fight for Freeform said:
Microsoft's Balloon Fight ad, mock Gun Fight ad (banned in the States, but it's tied with Super Mario Advance 4 as the best ad in my book), and Jump Rope ad did a great job showing off the planned identity of the 360. An online gaming machine that promotes community and looks at fun as a collective activity.

What's wrong with you? You're saying this was better?

K_S

Banned
more like

"its the next ****ing playstation, bitches. you want it and you will buy it".

now for a lesser brand like say xbox they need to show reasons why people would want to waste their money

mckmas8808

Fight for Freeform said:

The main purpose is to establish an identity. So let's forget about showing games, or why people should want it, etc. They have to sum up what their machine is about and maybe hint at what it can offer.

Sony's ad proported an identity based on the idea that "this is a Sony product, and as such you will want it".

Lame.

-edit-

Oh wait, it's an ad for World Peace Day *LOL*

rsk7 said:
It's very effective because you don't know what the trailer is about until the end, and then it makes more sense. The kid and the guy waiting on the roof know something's coming, that's why they're there. Cool ambiance music and then it starts roaring as soon as you see the 3 forming a shadow on the building. Works great on the audience because they finally see something sensical and then it cuts to a release date and then BAM, the PS logo with Playstation 3. Everyone knows what PS3 is gonna be, you don't need to show anything, you just need to tell the casual crowd that it's coming. That's why it's so effective.

This guy in this thread already explained to you what the ad was about. And he likes it.

rs7k

Freeform, Sony has enough of a pedigree that it doesn't need to prove itself. If this were a Nintendo ad, it would be the dumbest thing ever, but because it's Sony it doesn't need to prove anything. I love the Xbox and all, but you have to realize that it's a lot harder to sell the sequel to a system that prematurely died right after Halo 2 was released than to sell the successor to the most successful console of all time. Besides, it's a trailer for movie theaters. Therefore, the ad is better off without game footage (that we've all seen anyway).

The ad surprised me when I saw it in theaters and it's really effective because you don't see it coming, and when you do, you realize how big the PS3 is gonna be, and how much people want it. Sony's hype machine is perfect in every way.

Sony has always made neat commercials for its products. I thought this commercial was pretty neat myself.

Its actually a commercial, ... i've seen it saturday on G4.

Cloud Man

K_S said:
awesome, man

Yeah, White Night Story did me in. :p

Safe Bet said:
In all honesty, I think this ad is geared more to creating excitement in those already fans of the Playstation that have an unquestioning intent of purchase more than trying to entice new customers.

I am sure later Sony (read: Playstation) will concentrate on other consumers but for right now, as we get close to Launch...

It's all about the Faithful baby...

*damn I say that alot*

No doubt, I’m sure that this ad will work for a lot of Playsation fans, and ads will get better as time goes on.

But I’m not feeling it, right now.

But on a positive note, it’s better than those PSP ads. :p

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Fight for Freeform said:

You have never read up on marketing I take it? You don't need to tell people what it is just remind them it's there. Ads like these are extremely powerful in that they let the consumers create their own vision of what the PS3 is and what it offers. Your letting their imagination do the work. You simply can't beat that. Read a little about persuasion or marketing and you will get why this ad is so powerful.

FightyF

Banned
TheProfessor said:
You have never read up on marketing I take it? You don't need to tell people what it is just remind them it's there. Ads like these are extremely powerful in that they let the consumers create their own vision of what the PS3 is and what it offers. Your letting their imagination do the work. You simply can't beat that. Read a little about persuasion or marketing and you will get why this ad is so powerful.

Read up on marketing? I've taken Marketing classes.

I hope that counts!

No, I think it's a great ad, and I know exactly why it's effective, I agree with rs7k and I've already explained the purpose of this ad. I'm joking when I said it was "bad", but I think that was pretty clear.

Like I said, I think it's ridiculous.

Fight for Freeform said:
Read up on marketing? I've taken Marketing classes.

I hope that counts!

No, I think it's a great ad, and I know exactly why it's effective, I agree with rs7k and I've already explained the purpose of this ad. I'm joking when I said it was "bad", but I think that was pretty clear.

Like I said, I think it's ridiculous.

Just curious, what do you think a cool PS3 ad would me?

Top Bottom