• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak for every Best Buy, but if the experience at my store is any indication: Best Buy will have a LOT of Switches tomorrow. I think we got about 12 for MK8 launch (last time I remember them advertising stock), but we have about 20 set aside for tomorrow, and in a strange turn of events, they're majority Neon. We have more Neons than Greys 2:1 for tomorrow. Before they close, it might be worth calling your local Best Buy if you're still looking for one.

EDIT: just checked our internal system... appears to be the case all around us. A huge restock is hitting tomorrow, with Neons:Greys 2 or 3:1 depending on location.
what state are you in

sinkfla87

Here's the instructions

http://www.istocknow.com/news/set-up-email-notifications

Essentially login with your email, use the map to set a radius around your area, choose the item and which specific stores you want to be notified when it comes in stock

Ahh got it. Thank you so much! I have a strong desire to play Arms haha. Hopefully I can snag one soon.

what state are you in

Yeah I second this! I did see that it's advertised in the weekly ad (for all stores) so that would probably explain why they're holding stock and availability everywhere sounds at least possible!

Luke_Wal

Ahh got it. Thank you so much! I have a strong desire to play Arms haha. Hopefully I can snag one soon.

Yeah I second this! I did see that it's advertised in the weekly ad (for all stores) so that would probably explain why they're holding stock and availability everywhere sounds at least possible!

Can't say in an attempt to remain somewhat confidential, but I checked the areas in the surrounding states and it seemed consistent. I think it's because it's in the ad tomorrow, obviously, but it seems like this might be the biggest shipment since launch.

J@hranimo

Banned
My friend actually hit me up today (I already have a Switch) and said he saw his local Walmart had 3 Switches.

Suwanee, GA

I guess the big shipments are inkoming huh?

Sheytan

Is it already as cheap as getting it from Amazon.de?

Nope, it's cheaper on Amazon.de

Sweden have a company called Bergsala, they where first company outside Japan to import and sell nintendo products, so they have a special standing so they take a cut so nintendo products in Sweden is more expensive than the rest of EU

Sorry for my bad English

Just looking for a quick answer here: If you live in California, should you worry about the Switch stock situation or should you be able to find a Switch with relative ease? I haven't checked in any electronics stores yet, just wondering if this is something I need to get on soon if I want to have one before Odyssey comes out.

mcfrank

Just looking for a quick answer here: If you live in California, should you worry about the Switch stock situation or should you be able to find a Switch with relative ease? I haven't checked in any electronics stores yet, just wondering if this is something I need to get on soon if I want to have one before Odyssey comes out.

You need to put effort in. Use the instructions at the top of this page. Rumor is Best Buy will have them tomorrow too.

moeman

My friend actually hit me up today (I already have a Switch) and said he saw his local Walmart had 3 Switches.

Suwanee, GA

I guess the big shipments are inkoming huh?

vyvHAj0.gif

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
It's hard to find in Southern California, I can tell you that. In case you didn't see it mentioned in this thread, try iStockNow.com. It helped me find my Switch.

Quasar

Well it seems well in stock here in Australia (though I imagine that probably varies greatly across the country). Various chains having sales offering discounts would suggest they have stock to sell. I managed to get one without any dramas last week, though I wasn't chasing any kind of weird bundle, just a Neon console.

AGITΩ

Wondering if I should bother trying to get some at best buy tomorrow. I don't really want to stand in line..
Where are you that theres a line? The last sunday hold we had 2 weeks ago, only one person was in line for a switch and it took us a whole week to sell through the inventory. Clocked in 2 hours early that day for nothing. Never again.

I can't speak for every Best Buy, but if the experience at my store is any indication: Best Buy will have a LOT of Switches tomorrow. I think we got about 12 for MK8 launch (last time I remember them advertising stock), but we have about 20 set aside for tomorrow, and in a strange turn of events, they're majority Neon. We have more Neons than Greys 2:1 for tomorrow. Before they close, it might be worth calling your local Best Buy if you're still looking for one.

EDIT: just checked our internal system... appears to be the case all around us. A huge restock is hitting tomorrow, with Neons:Greys 2 or 3:1 depending on location.
Do you never read the employee hub or something? This is supposed to be the standard for all stores.

Ashhong

AGITΩ;241756399 said:
Where are you that theres a line? The last sunday hold we had 2 weeks ago, only one person was in line for a switch and it took us a whole week to sell through the inventory. Clocked in 2 hours early that day for nothing. Never again.

Do you never read the employee hub or something? This is supposed to be the standard for all stores.

I'm in socal. Called my best buy about stock and he said they were going to have a ticketing system tomorrow morning and he expects people to lineup starting from 9-10 until they open at 11. I'm not sure how accurate that is. I'll probably try and call around 1030 and ask if there's a line

Got a notification that Newegg has stock. They want 450$ for a switch and Mario kart 8. Is it normal for a major retailer to raise the cost of the product? Don't think I've ever seen that. This is sold and shipped by newegg

AcridMeat

Banned
Got a notification that Newegg has stock. They want 450$ for a switch and Mario kart 8. Is it normal for a major retailer to raise the cost of the product? Don't think I've ever seen that. This is sold and shipped by newegg
Happens with every anticipated graphics card release. It took me a month to find a 1070 for close to the MSRP, and still paid $400 instead of the $370 tag.

Ashhong

Happens with every anticipated graphics card release. It took me a month to find a 1070 for close to the MSRP, and still paid $400 instead of the $370 tag.

True I do see it for graphics cards, but never seen it for systems. Like, you won't see best buy charging 400$ for a switch. Or maybe you will and I'm out of the loop

Wollan

Got lucky with Amazon.co.uk I guess.

Ordered both a Grey Switch (estimated in stock July 10th) and Neon Switch (estimated in stock July 25th) about five days ago.

Received my Neon Switch yesterday (which was the color I desired though I wasn't willing to wait if Grey shipped earlier).

keidashxd

In Spain the situation is atrocious, I've been trying to buy a Switch since my birthday (mid May) and I'm still waiting, I have a preorder for the Splatoon pack (just because they told me that maybe Nintendo wouldn't restock until the and it seems they were right...).

Hi Switch gaf. Loving my new console! I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer.

I'm looking into buying a portable charger, however I have a USBc cable and the adaptor part of an iPhone charger laying around. Is this a safe combo to use? Just wanted to make sure before I risk frying the switch...

Regarding Stock, I bought mine from Tesco and was told I would be waiting until mid July for the delivery, but it turned up Friday (uk)

City 17

I'm looking into buying a portable charger, however I have a USBc cable and the adaptor part of an iPhone charger laying around. Is this a safe combo to use? Just wanted to make sure before I risk frying the switch...

Any TypeC is fine... is what I've heard, haven't tried yet though.

spekkeh

Banned
Regarding Stock, I bought mine from Tesco and was told I would be waiting until mid July for the delivery, but it turned up Friday (uk)

Neon Switch (estimated in stock July 25th) about five days ago.

Received my Neon Switch yesterday

Seems like the increased production is starting to hit the channels (soon).

(Or they're moving stuff from Sweden and Finland to the UK).

Anyway, good.

Luke_Wal

We have an 8AM store meeting, and there's already a guy in line outside despite us opening at 11. Poor guy doesn't know we have 25 for today 😂

Hi Switch gaf. Loving my new console! I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer.

I charge this way and have no issues.

I also charge the Switch from my car charger and a portable battery. Just don't use it with something from an unreliable source and you're fine.

How is he poor for ensuring he gets a switch today?

Definition of poor
a : lacking material possessions
b : of, relating to, or characterized by poverty
a : less than adequate : meager
b : small in worth
: exciting pity you poor thing
a : inferior in quality or value
b : humble, unpretentious
c : mean, petty
: lean, emaciated
: barren, unproductive —used of land
: indifferent, unfavorable
: lacking a normal or adequate supply of something specified —often used in combination oil-poor countries

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/poor

danthefan

The second hand electronics store here in Dublin is selling used Switches for more than the RRP. Think that probably tells you the stock situation here.

redcrayon

We have an 8AM store meeting, and there's already a guy in line outside despite us opening at 11. Poor guy doesn't know we have 25 for today 😂
Couldn't you at least give him a slip or something so the poor sod can go and get a coffee? If he's happy to spend £300+ with you it's kinda a nice thing to do.

Ashhong

Dude wants a switch enough and is willing to wait to secure it, what's the problem? He can't predict if people will show up early or not. You sound like an asshole

Luke_Wal

Couldn't you at least give him a slip or something so the poor sod can go and get a coffee? If he's happy to spend £300+ with you it's kinda a nice thing to do.

Yeah, I let him know. Guy wants to make sure he gets one, gotta respect that.

Sorry if I came off as a douche. Little pissed about a 8AM Sunday meeting. Good hunting to everyone looking for one today!

RBH

I randomly checked on istocknow earlier this week and saw that there were at least 6-10 Switches in stock at my local Walmart in the Chicago area. About 24 hours after they were listed as in stock on the istocknow website, I went to Walmart and there were 2 Switches left, so decided to buy a grey Switch for myself. :)

Incredible excessive. Three hours, actually, after closing with a 10 hour shift last night. That's the Best Buy life! :)
I hope you got overtime at the very least. I worked at retail too but it was a pretty cool company. It was retail with all the usual trappings but at the least the company was pretty good with perks like Christmas presents (we all got Headspace subscriptions for three months for free) , Thanksgiving dinners (they paid for a pretty extravagant dinner for all staff plus paid time for the actual dinner) among others. Definitely kept the morale up.

Anyway I do like Best Buy's system of handing out tickets. I remember lining for the Wii at Walmart and it was a free for all. It was chaos.

sinkfla87

Thanks everyone for your help! I finally snagged a neon console last night! A Walmart about 45 minutes away said they had 1 out front and 5 in the back haha. I think I called 25 different stores and this was the only one that not only had it but also where the employee wasn't angry or awkward when I asked them about it. She was super helpful and held it for me until I got there so I made sure to leave her a good review.

BTW, if you're in my area (Northwest Florida/Pensacola) the Walmart I am referring to is in Navarre. They should still have like 5 consoles left.

Edit 2: if you miss out today and you're in my area, the local Target stores said they're getting a new shipment in on Tuesday.

Anyone been finding neon joycon pairs anywhere? I'm getting paranoid Nintendo just isn't packaging those SKUs anymore because they are having trouble with Switch production in general. I check Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc every couple days online, and never anything.

I really want another pair, but I don't want grey, which is everywhere.

suaveric

What is going on with the Joy-Cons? Anything other than grey is impossible to find. Have the stores that have been getting Switch restocks also been getting controller restocks?

The only thing I can think of is that Nintendo had to go back and redesign the Joy-Con to fix that interference issue which put a stop to production until it was fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom