• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

hlhbk

I'm happy that Bioware made it quicker to see Shepard's face in-game. In ME1 and 2, I hated that they put in unskippable cutscenes that you had to watch before finding out that Shepard looks hideous in-game when they otherwise looked fine in character creation.

hahahahahaha, this so much :D

Mindlog

Man is Vanguard Charge really disorienting for anyone else too? It's the way you just warp forward and the camera doesn't follow you forward until like the instant you hit your target.
It can be a good idea to bring up the power wheel and pause combat right after you charge. Take a moment to locate every enemy in your vicinity. If anyone is standing outside of Nova range you have to neutralize them with an ally power or you die.

I'm pretty sure I can get a 0 death charge run with a few more tries.

90% of the increased difficulty is because enemies come from multiple angles now. In the previous games you could count on enemies just streaming from the front.

Vire

I feel like the combat is too fast...

Seems like it has been changed since the leaked beta. Or maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me.

Also they cut out this section where you could speak with various Salarians in the second part. Maybe it's just for the demo's purposes. :(

Other than that, very much enjoying the demo. The music and scene at the end of the first portion literally sent chills down my spine.

Soo, my thoughts after finishing the demo:

Pros
-Graphics are gorgeous. There is definitely an improvement over ME2. Characters have more detail, the scenery looks amazing. Giant Reapers in the background look jaw dropping, and the lighting has taken a huge bump up.
-Voice acting is as good as ever
-Combat and gunplay has been improved. Feels good, like a real third person shooter now. Biotics and other powers have a good feeling to them.
-Ash looked gorgeous
-The RPG elements definitely are a HUGE step up from ME2. I loved seeing experience gained by examining different elements in the levels.
-Feels 10x more cinematic than ME2

Cons
-While the gunplay was good, some of the movement through the environment felt...wonky? There were plenty times where I wanted to jump over a wall or stick behind cover, instead Shepard would jump all over the place or plain not leap over the walls
-Every single dialogue choice so far showcased only 2 responses. I'm desperately hoping the retail game is not limited like this....

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
-Every single dialogue choice so far showcased only 2 responses. I'm desperately hoping the retail game is not limited like this....

The one part they cut out of this that was in the leaked beta was a regular ME2 area where you had regular dialog wheels with all the investigate options.

It's a bit spoiler heavy though, so I can see why they cut it.

The one part they cut out of this that was in the leaked beta was a regular ME2 area where you had regular dialog wheels with all the investigate options.

It's a bit spoiler heavy though, so I can see why they cut it.

I saw the whole beta. You're talking about Sur'Kesh right? Where Shepard can walk around a little bit? Still didn't see a whole lot of options in any conversations going on :-/

watership

Does anyone have a kinect, how is that?

Okay, just finished the demo. It works, surprisingly well. I don't know if I'd use it when things are getting REALLY tight, but normal combat? Absolutely.

• "Grenade" will toss a grenade, but when it's just a button away, I probably won't use this much if at all.
  • Saying "Garrus, Move." He'll move to where you're pointing. Saying "Garrus, Follow me" will have them fall in step.
  • Same logic applies to powers. "Garrus, Concussive shot" and he fires on wherever your recital is pointing.

Not having to go to menu for that stuff is pretty awesome. My volume was up pretty high and was picking up each command easily. Probably the best voice use in game I've seen so far. I'll go back tomorrow and see if I can find other voice commands. I did these all by guesswork.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Glad to hear all the positive impressions where only facial animations seems to be the really bad stuff.

March 6th can't come soon enough.

rozay

Banned
It can be a good idea to bring up the power wheel and pause combat right after you charge. Take a moment to locate every enemy in your vicinity. If anyone is standing outside of Nova range you have to neutralize them with an ally power or you die.

I'm pretty sure I can get a 0 death charge run with a few more tries.

90% of the increased difficulty is because enemies come from multiple angles now. In the previous games you could count on enemies just streaming from the front.
It's definitely different and I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing yet, need to do a few more playthroughs with one. I rarely ever have to pause the game with the wheel when charging (the only time I do so is when I land the charge at a really awkward position/the game placed me too far forward and the enemy isn't in front of me) and when I tried the ME3 vanguard I had a lot of trouble properly placing shots after coming out.

Like you said though, enemies actually come in from multiple angles in the Sur'Kesh stage and it definitely makes it more important to be aware of which enemies are where. I think less weapons will also go a long way towards helping playability, the caster classes are kind of gimped with 4 weapons when they should only be using 2 or 3.

To the person who said it feels oddly clunky, I agree that it did at times during my first run, but that may be because of how used to ME2's control scheme I am. I do think that rolling when trying to enter cover may become an issue in intense battles.

Okay, just finished the demo. It works, surprisingly well. I don't know if I'd use it when things are getting REALLY tight, but normal combat? Absolutely.

• "Grenade" will toss a grenade, but when it's just a button away, I probably won't use this much if at all.
  • Saying "Garrus, Move." He'll move to where you're pointing. Saying "Garrus, Follow me" will have them fall in step.
  • Same logic applies to powers. "Garrus, Concussive shot" and he fires on wherever your recital is pointing.

Not having to go to menu for that stuff is pretty awesome. My volume was up pretty high and was picking up each command easily. Probably the best voice use in game I've seen so far. I'll go back tomorrow and see if I can find other voice commands. I did these all by guesswork.

That's pretty awesome. Not that I give a fuck about using it in this game, but the fact it works is pretty amazing to me. Technology.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That's obviously cut up, I mean, the opening acts like a ton of shit has already happened.

Have you played the Arrival DLC for ME2? I suppose it could feel weird if you didnt. Well, it would at least explain why Shepard is on Earth and what he/she did that was so bad.

JambiBum

Alright so using kinect is pretty awesome. Being able to just say what power you want to use is great, and you can tell it to open doors by saying open lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
According to my Battlefield 3 box I should get the demo early, where do I get it?

You don't. You get the demo on the 14th like everyone, but also access to the multiplayer on the same day. Those without 'early access' must wait a little later before they can use the multiplayer portion.

JambiBum

So basically any context sensitive action you can use kinect for. Initiating dialog, picking items up, opening doors. It's actually surprisingly well implemented.

Arrival wasn't horrible, it was simply underbaked. And it came after some of the best DLC of all time, which was Shadow Broker, so the bar was raised incredibly high.

If you want bad Mass Effect DLC, that would be Pinnacle Station for ME1.

Replicant

I'm happy that Bioware made it quicker to see Shepard's face in-game. In ME1 and 2, I hated that they put in unskippable cutscenes that you had to watch before finding out that Shepard looks hideous in-game when they otherwise looked fine in character creation.

I find that all custom-made Shepards look kind of ugly during the 1st few minutes of that gameplay after he/she got
resurrected
in ME2. After that though, the face usually improves. I don't know why it looks so bad in those scenes, maybe it's meant to represent
post-construction
swelling?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Arrival wasn't horrible, it was simply underbaked. And it came after some of the best DLC of all time, which was Shadow Broker, so the bar was raised incredibly high.

If you want bad Mass Effect DLC, that would be Pinnacle Station for ME1.

Agreed. I enjoyed Arrival, sneaking in the first section to rescue Dr. Kenson was novel and taking on 5 waves of like 40 enemies was super intense all on your own and rewarding when you got that achievement. Sure it was completely linear and totally combat focused and there was but one choice to be made, but it was a simple and effective lead in to ME3.

I do feel though that the 7$ price tag was a bit much, 4-5 bucks would have been much more appropriate. It costs the same as Overlord but offers barely more than a third of the content and diversity. Had it been more appropriately priced I think more people would be less critical of it.

MacBosse

Shit my Mass Effect boner got all hard for nothing. Even had the burner ready with the iso file. Ah well ...

Girl will have to live without me on valentines day.

rozay

Banned
Agreed. I enjoyed Arrival, sneaking in the first section to rescue Dr. Kenson was novel and taking on 5 waves of like 40 enemies was super intense all on your own and rewarding when you got that achievement. Sure it was completely linear and totally combat focused and there was but one choice to be made, but it was a simple and effective lead in to ME3.

I do feel though that the 7$ price tag was a bit much, 4-5 bucks would have been much more appropriate. It costs the same as Overlord but offers barely more than a third of the content and diversity. Had it been more appropriately priced I think more people would be less critical of it.

I didn't have a problem with the first portion of arrival but after the encounter at object rho, it was just brainless and repetitive encounter after encounter, and the level design didn't help much. The game play just didn't work solo in my opinion, even though I understand they did it because squad mates would be completely silent.

It was by far my least favorite piece of dlc for the game.

I see no need to use voice commands to open doors or pick dialog (although I'm sure my girlfriend will abuse this to make me do some renegade choices against my will). Saying commands to squad members while controlling Shepard does seem pretty good so far.
EB5ta.jpg

That "Better with Kinect" logo on the box might be true for firefights. No reason those voice commands couldn't have been in the PC or PS3 versions, which is unfortunate.

Top Bottom