• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The crucial design flaw in Wind Waker

Never knew about the hate for the triforce quest the first time I played it, and I actually enjoyed it. Gave me opportunity to go out and explore the whole map and come across a bunch of secrets on the ocean. It was quite the adventure :p

bionic77

Never knew about the hate for the triforce quest the first time I played it, and I actually enjoyed it. Gave me opportunity to go out and explore the whole map and come across a bunch of secrets on the ocean. It was quite the adventure :p
It is a pain if you don't have enough rupees when you do it and you have to grind to get them.

I was close to the amount of rupees you needed so it was barely any grinding for me and I agree that I liked it too.

It was a lot of fun sailing around that world. They nailed the sailing and the look was really amazing at the time.

Wamb0wneD

I remember having this argument with a friend of mine back in the GC days. It's been a while obviously, but he approached it in a connect-the-dots manner, wanting to do them all one after the other without breaks. He hated it. Like the OP, I did a great deal of exploring and grabbing things I missed, treasure hunting in the ocean, etc. between shards, so they felt spread out and less like a drawn-out fetch quest. I don't even remember feeling much of a difference when I replayed WWHD on Wii U, and that new interface made it even more fun and streamlined to play. It's still such a wonderful game, up there with the N64 titles and BOTW as my favorite 3D entries.

giphy.gif

After you come to Dragonroost Island and aquire the baton the game opens up, but not without telling you where the next story related Island is.

I might be misremembering, but the game doesn't actually open up until you clear the Forest dungeon after Dragonroost.

You get the Wind waker, but I think it only lets you sail south from Dragonroost or back west to windfall island, and if you go much off track, the king stops you and points you back on the path you have.

Wind Waker's biggest flaw for me was not enough large island landmasses to explore. I would have liked at least a couple more the size of Outset Island where you could explore and find optional stuff like heart containers or fairy fountains.

jts

...hate me...
Still love the atmosphere and looks of that game, but yeah overall structurally and as a game is pretty piss poor compared to BotW the 🐏

Regginator

BOTW is boring and soulless compared to Wind Waker.

"Soulless" is very subjective especially seeing as I agree that Wind Waker is one of, if not the, most charming games of the series. But saying BOTW is more boring is just objectively false. Like, even if you thought BOTW is boring (which I wouldn't understand, but still), there's no way the literally empty seas in WW was less boring.

"Soulless" is very subjective especially seeing as I agree that Wind Waker is one of, if not the, most charming games of the series. But saying BOTW is more boring is just objectively false. Like, even if you thought BOTW is boring (which I wouldn't understand, but still), there's no way the literally empty seas in WW was less boring.

disagree. they're less boring if you actually enjoy sailing them, because they're a part of a game world you enjoy being in. completely subjective :) ...

Falchion

I feel bad because I never really explored many of the islands that didn't have main quest elements. I had some friends that charted the whole ocean and saw everything, but I never really did. It would've been cool if the adventure aspect was pushed farther by telling players to go explore on their own.

Top Bottom