• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris |OT| Imperium Universalis

Tacitus_

Well that game was frustrating. I was playing a materialist empire and bumped into a spiritualist FE around midgame. So I got humiliated and my leader assassinated for about five-six times before I got enough fleets to comfortably trounce them.
Of course, while I was rebuilding my synths started prepping for rebellion and the xenophobic FE awakened. Fortunately I purged the frail flesh from both my empire and my neighbour before they could do anything to me.

One nation is ready to join my federation, but other member of federation for some reason always vote "no". Why exactly this happening (they're not rivals btw) and is it possible to force them to vote yes?

DBT85

Want to be a robot? New pack coming

Synthetic Dawn

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...tal-distribution-across-the-universe.1038083/

Trailer

Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn provides an all-new way for players to establish their empire across the stars, starting the game as a Machine Empire -- a society made up entirely of robots. Unique game features and event chains will allow the machines to expand as a robotic consciousness, and create an AI-led network that grows to galactic dominance.

Features:
You, Robot: Play Stellaris as a customized robotic civilization, complete with a series of robotic portraits for science robots, worker robots, and more
AI, eh? Aye!: Follow new event chains and story features to lead your robot race to greatness as an intergalactic AI empire; pursue mechanical perfection in the stars
Rise of the Machines: Oppressed synths may rebel against their masters and form new empires -- or you may even discover a fallen synthetic civilization deep in space
Digital Enhancements: New synthetic race portraits, and expanded voice packs for VIR

jtb

Banned
Meh.

I'd like some improvements to the game before we get these 'content packs'. This game desperately needs it's 'In Nomine'.

Meh.

I'd like some improvements to the game before we get these 'content packs'. This game desperately needs it's 'In Nomine'.

Yeah this is where I'm at. Unless the update is a huge overhaul of Trade or the Combat System I'm really not interested.

barber

I'm in the same boat.

Diplomacy is still abysmal and the combat isn't fun.

Did they change the cost of the modules and the effectiveness of corbetes as they said they would in the previous dev diary when they put this new content pack? And if so, does it do anything?

Purkake4

Banned
Did they change the cost of the modules and the effectiveness of corbetes as they said they would in the previous dev diary when they put this new content pack? And if so, does it do anything?
They've messed around with it a few times, last big update was adding more specific ship roles so class X is more effective against class Y etc.

From what I've played this gets really tedious and bigger number will still win most of the time. I'd really want something closer to EUIV where you have a bit of randomness with big concrete modifiers from leaders, terrain, tech as well as a cap on how many units can engage at a time.

Oh right, and consequences for losing your whole damn fleet.

Bregor

They've messed around with it a few times, last big update was adding more specific ship roles so class X is more effective against class Y etc.

From what I've played this gets really tedious and bigger number will still win most of the time. I'd really want something closer to EUIV where you have a bit of randomness with big concrete modifiers from leaders, terrain, tech as well as a cap on how many units can engage at a time.

Oh right, and consequences for losing your whole damn fleet.

The biggest problem is the 'naked corvette' imbalance, which _will_ be fixed in the patch that accompanies this DLC.

This will still leave un-addressed the problem of lack of strategic depth.

Purkake4

Banned
This will still leave un-addressed the problem of lack of strategic depth.
Yes, that was what I was getting at.

We were spitballing ideas for combat a year or so back with some people in this thread. I feel like they need to draw the focus in, make individual ships worth more and matter more instead of just adding to a super abstract number and dying in the hundreds. Losing one of your few science ships is a huge deal, but throwing 20 corvettes at some cloud monsters is no big deal.

The space setting lends itself for amazing opportunities, you could have systems where it's nearly impossible to fight at all, systems that disable shields, boost engines whatever. I think Stellaris also needs some kind of combat tactics, boosted by doctrine research ala Hearts of Iron, not sure if it's better to let AI or player choose the specific tactic in combat, but that would also make it more involved.

I don't know if I'd say combat has ever been "solved" in high level space strategy titles. I guess Sins of a Solar Empire is probably the best out of the ones I've played, although still not phenomenal. Part of that was capital ship customization and leveling, as well as more defined ship classes and asymmetric factions.

GalCiv III was an improvement over GalCiv II, but it still ultimately boiled down to mainly macro-scale considerations and optimal builds rather than anything interesting on a per-battle level.

While I want them to put time into improving it, as long as the other aspects of the game are fun enough it doesn't really matter if the combat never becomes amazing. More internal politics, more to do in the mid and late game, fixed scenarios and more delineation between technology are the highest items on my wishlist. One of my "it would be nice but I'm too lazy" projects is trying to mod in "technological paradigms" which would be breaking technologies up into a series of smaller tech trees with bottlenecks at certain points that you can only overcome through conducting special projects and possibly event chains.

Purkake4

Banned
I don't know if I'd say combat has ever been "solved" in high level space strategy titles. I guess Sins of a Solar Empire is probably the best out of the ones I've played, although still not phenomenal. Part of that was capital ship customization and leveling, as well as more defined ship classes and asymmetric factions.

GalCiv III was an improvement over GalCiv II, but it still ultimately boiled down to mainly macro-scale considerations and optimal builds rather than anything interesting on a per-battle level.

While I want them to put time into improving it, as long as the other aspects of the game are fun enough it doesn't really matter if the combat never becomes amazing. More internal politics, more to do in the mid and late game, fixed scenarios and more delineation between technology are the highest items on my wishlist. One of my "it would be nice but I'm too lazy" projects is trying to mod in "technological paradigms" which would be breaking technologies up into a series of smaller tech trees with bottlenecks at certain points that you can only overcome through conducting special projects and possibly event chains.
I'd say there's two "charted" paths to take, either Sins' more arcady, but very fun way or Distant Worlds' super detailed way.

Obviously combat isn't the most important aspect, I'd be much happier if they fixed diplomacy ASAP, it's still sad compared to any other Paradox games. Technology delineation sounds great as well, especially with more variety and paths so it's not always the same in late game.

Bregor

The thing that made Sins combat better (on the strategic level) was that you could build up powerful fixed defenses. A system with two fully developed starbases and a bunch of secondary defenses and mines was really hard to crack. Because it took time to seige down these defenses, wars weren't over after one battle, and an empire could recover from an initial defeat.

In stellaris, any war lasts only as long as it takes one empire to chase down the other empires main fleet. After that there it may take time to occupy the planets, but it doesn't matter, the loser of the battle has already lost the war.

Both games have the problem that there is little incentive to ever spread your fleet about. Having one massive fleet is almost always the best strat.

jtb

Banned
Distant Worlds good? Sounds like it's the next step for me while I wait for Paradox to fix the glaring issues Stellaris has

The thing that made Sins combat better (on the strategic level) was that you could build up powerful fixed defenses. A system with two fully developed starbases and a bunch of secondary defenses and mines was really hard to crack. Because it took time to seige down these defenses, wars weren't over after one battle, and an empire could recover from an initial defeat.

In stellaris, any war lasts only as long as it takes one empire to chase down the other empires main fleet. After that there it may take time to occupy the planets, but it doesn't matter, the loser of the battle has already lost the war.

Both games have the problem that there is little incentive to ever spread your fleet about. Having one massive fleet is almost always the best strat.

This (and the freaky ass tech balancing, but hopefully they'll finally fix that) are the big issues with Stellaris combat, imo. There needs to be some reason to not just smash the enemy doomfleet with your own and then mop up their infrastructure at your leisure. Maybe that'll take a gamey "too many ships in system" penalty or something, idk.

Purkake4

Banned
Distant Worlds good? Sounds like it's the next step for me while I wait for Paradox to fix the glaring issues Stellaris has
It's very... specific. There's crazy depth to it, but the interface is a bit dated.

Check some gameplay videos to get a feel for it, this guy has a lot of it.

This (and the freaky ass tech balancing, but hopefully they'll finally fix that) are the big issues with Stellaris combat, imo. There needs to be some reason to not just smash the enemy doomfleet with your own and then mop up their infrastructure at your leisure. Maybe that'll take a gamey "too many ships in system" penalty or something, idk.
Just use the standard Paradox "combat width" but call it like command cap or something.

It's very... specific. There's crazy depth to it, but the interface is a bit dated.

Check some gameplay videos to get a feel for it, this guy has a lot of it.

Just use the standard Paradox "combat width" but call it like command cap or something.

You could still just have a ton of reinforcements hanging out in-system, though. It'd be less efficient but it'd still just functionally work out to a doomfleet.

Maybe a better approach would be changing the FTL systems...? Like, only so-many ships can warp together, or get moved by a single wormhole station, or enter a hyperlane at once. That at least requires you to set up... like, a pincer attack, or redundant wormhole stations.

Purkake4

Banned
You could still just have a ton of reinforcements hanging out in-system, though. It'd be less efficient but it'd still just functionally work out to a doomfleet.

Maybe a better approach would be changing the FTL systems...? Like, only so-many ships can warp together, or get moved by a single wormhole station, or enter a hyperlane at once. That at least requires you to set up... like, a pincer attack, or redundant wormhole stations.
Yeah, that would help too. I guess attrition doesn't really make sense for spaceships.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
D2zXwzY.jpg

One year later this game is finally good.

Walshicus

Lots of really cool features coming in 1.8, though the voice stuff is damn useful. Love how they're basically Trek tailored, almost seems intentional. ;)

Just need scripted UI options next.

I don't think there's enough variance in the synth portraits or empire types. Same problem as always, mile wide, inch deep.

They need to focus on one of there things for the next expac. Diplomacy overhaul, combat overhaul, or complete mid game workout.

Trickster

Oh COME ON. I already don't have time to play everything I want this month, now the Stellaris decides it needs to make it even harder for me?

Lister

Banned
Day Zero. Been itching to start a new campaign. Will probably have finished my Xcom 2: WOTC and Totla War II: Norsca campaigns by then.

Damn, only $10.99 Canadian. I was expecting much, much worse after Paradox's pricing kerfuffle.

I'd be all over this addition if it released in any month but September. This month has been waaay too stacked, especially for strategy titles. It's the best kind of problem to have.

But anyways... Synth ships(?) look so good, totally channeling that Borg aesthetic:

Are there any screenshots of all the new portraits out there?

ShinZed

Started a game as assimilators. Early stages yet so no conflict, but I've met three empires so far and they all hate me. I wonder why. Looks like it's going to be a very combat heavy game!

My only beef so far is your assimilated pops can't grow. I guess my robots don't like organic snu-snu.

Put a few hours into my new robot nation (gone the total exterminators route) and am rather enjoying Synthetic Dawn so far. I'm not a massive Hive Mind fan when it came out, largely because it felt like they took out factions but largely didn't add a whole lot to make up for that hole. However despite Synthetics being similar the big deal of having to build your own population and all the unique upgrades and story moments is making the Synthetic stand out a bit more. Look forward to heading back in and cleansing the galaxy.

Caved and purchased Synthetic Dawn off Humble (monthly discount + some small store credit).

Maybe I'll finally start a game this weekend!

Though I also completed my Gal Civ 3 collection via the Gold Edition bundle since it's on sale on Steam this weekend. (Base Gal Civ 3 came off a humble monthly).

And Endless Space 2 just had an update as well last week.

TOO DAMN MUCH SCI-FI STRATEGY!

Not to mention XCOM-2 (which I haven't gotten the expansion for yet - gonna wait on a sale) and this neat-looking indie I own called Halcyon 6.

Thraktor

Put a few hours into my new robot nation (gone the total exterminators route) and am rather enjoying Synthetic Dawn so far. I'm not a massive Hive Mind fan when it came out, largely because it felt like they took out factions but largely didn't add a whole lot to make up for that hole. However despite Synthetics being similar the big deal of having to build your own population and all the unique upgrades and story moments is making the Synthetic stand out a bit more. Look forward to heading back in and cleansing the galaxy.

I feel like one of the positives of using a hive mind is that the limited internal management means you can play the game at a much higher speed, so it can be good if you want to play a game which progresses a bit quicker. I've only played one game as a hive mind (or part of one game, to be more precise), where I went basically full Tyranid with the devouring swarm ethic, and got clobbered by a pacifist-led coalition because it turns out people don't like it when you want to wipe them all off the face of the galaxy. I played the bulk of it at maximum speed, without too much pausing, so I actually got a decent way through the game in only a few hours.

I'd be interested in a pacifist/isolationist game as either a hive mind or synthetic, as they both (with the right setup) can colonise basically any world without having to worry about happiness, so they're well suited to building tall. I've already bought Synthetic Dawn, but I'll have to decide whether I'll go organic or synthetic and what my goal will be (probably some megastructures, as I never got that far in a game with Utopia).

I think there have been some changes to hive minds in the new patch (1.8 afaik), but not sure exactly what they've done. I probably should give the patch notes a scan.

Steel

Banned
So, after playing synth dawn for awhile, I have to say a lot of the changes with the update and expansion are definitely for the better. It's harder to bait the AI, they make better tactical decisions based on how strong their fleet is, robot empires are great and the decreased number of habitable worlds definitely makes things more interesting.

Caved and purchased Synthetic Dawn off Humble
(monthly discount + some small store credit).

Maybe I'll finally start a game this weekend!

Though I also completed my Gal Civ 3 collection via the Gold Edition bundle since it's on sale on Steam this weekend. (Base Gal Civ 3 came off a humble monthly).

And Endless Space 2 just had an update as well last week.

TOO DAMN MUCH SCI-FI STRATEGY!

Not to mention XCOM-2 (which I haven't gotten the expansion for yet - gonna wait on a sale) and this neat-looking indie I own called Halcyon 6.

It's been awhile since I've played Gal Civ 3(Only got a couple of the expacs before I put it away even though I did the $100 lifetime expansion pre-purchase), but I highly suggest you don't waste your time on it. It was pretty meh. Can't go wrong with anything else in this post, though.

Goddamnit every bloody time I get involved in a defensive war I forget the stupid mechanic where you only have 12 months to decide on war goals. Otherwise you win... and get a white peace. So effing stupid. The fact that this is a "silent" popup that goes into the same tab as the other 7 permanent popup warnings I'm ignoring pretty much guarantees I won't even notice it there.

Walshicus

Pretty substantial changes finally being revealed. Hyperlane focus could be cool, but lots of tweaking needed for the Trek mod.

Top Bottom