• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris |OT| Imperium Universalis

Can you insert spies into other empowers and sabotage stuff?

Not at release but will definitely be in the future. Espionage is most likely going to be one of the first expansions, that or a more depthful market/civilian economy. In Paradox's other games espionage is quite an extensive system (including things like supporting a civil war/rebels of another nation in Europa Universalis), they usually have a lot of mechanics which I suppose they didn't feel they could add in for initial release regarding espionage. If you want an idea of what espionage might be like in Stellaris in the future take a look at the system in Europa Universalis such as covert actions (agitate for liberty, slander merchants, sow discontent, etc) here.

mcz117chief

This is already quite daunting heh, I ask because I found it hard to get into endless space, but would love to get into stellar is... But am afraid the game itself will bounce off me.

Don't worry, mate. The game is actually very accessible and newbie friendly. Of course, I am not saying you will 100% like it but it is much easier to play than it sounds.

epmode

I'll try one last time before launch:

Does anyone have a screenshot of the game running at 1440p? Since Paradox still hasn't bothered to implement UI scaling in their grand strategy games, I want to see how readable the UI is on my monitor.

I think first I'm either gonna be this guy:
Reptilian_massive_14.png

Or this one:
Avian_massive_11.png

Both look dope af.

This really looks great, but I'm very nervous about being overwhelmed. Do we know how long a typical game in Stellaris will take?

Not sure if this has been shared here but RPS has written a really fun recap of some gameplay stories here.

One involves a fallen empire and you get a taste for their unique events. RPS seems extremely positive on the game, author seems really excited to share his review.

bjaelke

This really looks great, but I'm very nervous about being overwhelmed. Do we know how long a typical game in Stellaris will take?

Very dependent on your play style and setup (size, # of AI etc).

Someone on the Stellaris subreddit posted endgame screens and said that it took roughly 12 hours to complete in a medium sized galaxy with the speed on max for most of the game: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/4i9zfv/spoilers_all_this_is_the_endgame_screen_after_i/

Paradox' own answer to the question:
Stellaris seems like an extremely complex RTS. How long does an average game take to complete?

That is actually a surprisingly difficult question to answer. It depends on the size of the galaxy, how much you tend to pause the game to think and give orders, and what speed you’re running at. In general though, it is slower paced and will take longer to play through than most similar games.

Hope that somewhat answers your question.

What portraits are people thinking for their first forays? Pretty sure Space Parrots are the way for me:
Avian_massive_15.png

I keep changing my mind between these:
Reptilian_slender_01.png

Mammalian_slender_03.png

Avian_slender_03.png

Probably going with the top one because I want to go all out on science on my first playthrough and they look more '' sciencey' to me.
Also, I like how they're kinda like roswell greys yet still different enough to feel like a fresh take on them.
The last one looks really great when animated.

Does anyone have a screenshot of the game running at 1440p? Since Paradox still hasn't bothered to implement UI scaling in their grand strategy games, I want to see how readable the UI is on my monitor.

You should be fine I think? I play their games on a 3440 x 1440 monitor and I don't really have too much of an issue with it unless I'm really tired.
So it could be better but it's not unreadable.

Orgun

Scott Manley uploads his videos at 1440p, check out his stuff to see what it looks like.

What portraits are people thinking for their first forays? Pretty sure Space Parrots are the way for me:

I was thinking of the space foxes, but I'm also kinda tempted to either do the Shadows, cockroaches or the snake-looking Arthropoids (the far right ones in the first row). Dunno yet. The alligators (reptilian massive #13) also are pretty cute.

Just preordered, figured what hell. Got CK2 mainly for the GoT mod, but never got to a deep level with it. 22 hours on it and I am pretty sure at least half of that is tutorial play since I always started that after abandoning the game for months at a time.

This looks like it could be more fun and simpler to get the hand of though.

Great Guy

Pretty ready for this game to come out. Last Galactic empire game I really got into was Ascendancy in 1995. This looks way more complex but I think i'll have the patience to become proficient... until at least the first dlc where my cheap strats will probably be tossed out the window. Also for a guy who rarely watches streams, the Blorg series on youtube was super entertaining.

Aaron D.

Incredible OT, More_Badass!

Thanks for putting it together.

So now that it's Zero Hour I'm feeling torn between my starting race. Should I go Fungoid (Blorg, duh) or Human? I was planning Blorg from the start, but now I'm feeling that that sense of reaching out to the stars for the first time might feel more compelling if were led by a character set I'm more identified with.

Gotta admit, the idea of exploding out from the Sol system is mighty tempting. Maybe I'll do my Tutorial Run this way and then take on the more esoteric races after I've got some experience under my belt.

Jisgsaw

Random question time: is there a date at which the game stops, or is it "infinite"?
For their historical games, a limit date made sense, but I'd be pretty bummed out if it was also the case in Stellaris...

Duffman

In my first game I'm definitely going for a full on conquest mode as these guys:

Reptilian_massive_12.png

They look nasty.

Random question time: is there a date at which the game stops, or is it "infinite"?
For their historical games, a limit date made sense, but I'd be pretty bummed out if it was also the case in Stellaris...

There is no end date as far as i know.

bjaelke

No time limit and you can keep playing after you have "won".

KorrZ

Just bought the game since I'm a huge Paradox fan (1111 hours into EU4 and 100 something into CK2)

So, when does this game actually unlock? Any VPN shennanigans to get it to unlock earlier today?

I am so excited for this game. I played Birth of the Federation like crazy when I was younger and the stuff I've seen of Stellaris really gives me the same vibe. I'm glad I have Monday off.

Very dependent on your play style and setup (size, # of AI etc).

Someone on the Stellaris subreddit posted endgame screens and said that it took roughly 12 hours to complete in a medium sized galaxy with the speed on max for most of the game: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/4i9zfv/spoilers_all_this_is_the_endgame_screen_after_i/

Paradox' own answer to the question:

Hope that somewhat answers your question.

This throws me off, because if it's longer than similar games, wouldn't it be closer to like 50 hours? I keep hearing people say that their CK2 games take 30-40 hours. Or am I hearing wrong?

epmode

Thanks for the high resolution screens! It seems to be more readable than past Paradox games so I think I'll go for it!

(They should still work on UI scaling though. I'm sure Stellaris is a mess at 4K.)

This throws me off, because if it's longer than similar games, wouldn't it be closer to like 50 hours? I keep hearing people say that their CK2 games take 30-40 hours. Or am I hearing wrong?

That sounds about right for when you have it on normal speed most of the time. CK2 actually has an end date though, this doesn't.
MP event was on normal speed all the way through and they ended at like 2300 after 14 hours of gameplay (I think?) which is early-mid game.
I'd say it's going to vary a lot depending on what galaxy type and size you're playing on, as wel as what speed you have it on.

la_briola

Thanks for the high resolution screens! It seems to be more readable than past Paradox games so I think I'll go for it!

(They should still work on UI scaling though. I'm sure Stellaris is a mess at 4K.)

You and me both. CK2/EU4 are unreadable for me, even with better font (size) mods.
tears.gif

Matbtz

Just bought the game since I'm a huge Paradox fan (1111 hours into EU4 and 100 something into CK2)

So, when does this game actually unlock? Any VPN shennanigans to get it to unlock earlier today?

I think they said they are not sure when the game will be released exactly. There will have a stream monday at noon CET until the release of the game.

Mecha

What ethos and government type will you guys try first? I'm thinking of a moral democracy that is fanatic pacifist and xenophile. Here's a link to my government layout.

Summary:

+20% Army damage
+20% Food
+15% Growth time
+5% Happiness
+10% Minerals
-20% War happiness
-50% War tolerance
-10% Xenophobia

The idea is use up some of the bonus happiness to have extra army damage for self defense.

Finished watching Quil's latest couple of youtube videos just now. Dude is the worst pacifist ever..
facepalm.gif

What ethos and government type will you guys try first? I'm thinking of a moral democracy that is fanatic pacifist and xenophile. Here's a link to my government layout.

Summary:

+20% Army damage
+20% Food
+15% Growth time
+5% Happiness
+10% Minerals
-20% War happiness
-50% War tolerance
-10% Xenophobia

The idea is use up some of the bonus happiness to have extra army damage for self defense.

Either Individualist, Materialist, Pacifist, Direct Democracy or Fanatic Materialist, Militarist Despotic Hegemony

..... Or Fanatic Materialist, Xenophile, Science Directorate.
I guess I'll flip a coin.

Saganator

What ethos and government type will you guys try first?

Saganites - Thousands of years after his death, humans embrace the teachings of Carl Sagan, give up silly wars and focus their efforts on exploring the universe and obtaining knowledge.

Xenophile
Pacifist
Materialist

Science Directorate
Slow Breeders

Scientists are eligible for Leadership

-10% Army damage
+5% Engineering output
+10% Food
+15% Growth time
+5% Physics output
+1 Research alternative
+5% Society output
-10% War happiness
-25% War tolerance
-10% Xenophobia

No real strategy with the numbers, just picked the traits that matches how I think species of people who are like Carl Sagan would be.

mcz117chief

What ethos and government type will you guys try first?

Theocratic Republic (spiritual, individualist and xenophile. Rapid breeders and quick learners) link

Do you guys think that "rapid breeders" represents humanity? Or is it a trait more adequate for bug races and such?

Dabbled with EU 4 but couldn't get into it, will give this one a bash though.

Do we know if it has that weird mix of real time and turn based action? That completely through me with EU 4

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Damnit, gonna be tough finding time to play this with the few things I'm already focusing on. :/

Purkake4

Banned
Is there anything more to the combat tactics than the rock-paper-scissors 3 weapon types thing? Reminds me a lot of Endless Space at the moment.

Dabbled with EU 4 but couldn't get into it, will give this one a bash though.

Do we know if it has that weird mix of real time and turn based action? That completely through me with EU 4

Yeah it uses the same system. Real time with the ability to pause, slow down and speed up.

That sounds about right for when you have it on normal speed most of the time. CK2 actually has an end date though, this doesn't.
MP event was on normal speed all the way through and they ended at like 2300 after 14 hours of gameplay (I think?) which is early-mid game.
I'd say it's going to vary a lot depending on what galaxy type and size you're playing on, as wel as what speed you have it on.

That worries me. To be honest, I tend to get bored of long campaigns, and with my limited amount of free time (gaming time is around 8-12 hours a week) this simply might not be for me. Looks really interesting, but it just might not be a good fit at this moment.

Moff

just subbed to this thread and bought the game on steam

I love games like this if they get me hooked, but most of the time they are either too simple or too complicated to get me hooked, can't wait to try this one

That worries me. To be honest, I tend to get bored of long campaigns, and with my limited amount of free time (gaming time is around 8-12 hours a week) this simply might not be for me. Looks really interesting, but it just might not be a good fit at this moment.

Maybe. I don't know. I've always felt like tthese games are pretty easy to pick up and play.
I sometimes pause my playthroughs for weeks/ months at a time.

Maybe. I don't know. I've always felt like tthese games are pretty easy to pick up and play.
I sometimes pause my playthroughs for weeks/ months at a time.
When I do that, I find myself kind of emotionally disconnected from my campaign. We'll see. I love the scope of this, CK2, EU4, etc., I've just struggled to keep up with them.

Steel

Banned
http://www.stellariswiki.com/images/2/25/Avian_massive_15.png[/IG][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][IMG]http://www.stellariswiki.com/images/7/76/Molluscoid_group.png

The blueish portrait in the bottom left.

DBT85

Finished watching Quil's latest couple of youtube videos just now. Dude is the worst pacifist ever..
facepalm.gif

Ha yeah.

I'm in part 10 and he spent 10 minutes working out what the hell he was doing as he's clearly had other games going on. Then after 25 minutes he realises that his planets have pops not working anything and loads of upgrades because he was ignoring it all before.

No idea if this is his normal play style or just how he's playing for his lets plays but he's manic lol.

Easier than their other 4X games? I finally might be able to play a Paradox grand strategy game that I own (buy them all and the DLC because I love the idea but I'm overwhelmed).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Easier than their other 4X games? I finally might be able to play a Paradox grand strategy game that I own (buy them all and the DLC because I love the idea but I'm overwhelmed).

Well, they don't really make 4X games and this one's only partially one, so yes it would be easiest by default. ;)

If you haven't checked it out, this instructional LP for CK2 is a pretty easy way to get familiar with one of their games.

http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Reishiki

Banned

Could always generate a much smaller galaxy.

ExVicis

I'm gonna use one of the Molluscoid but there doesn't seem to be a single bigger picture of the portrait I want to use.

They will be an Intelligent Race obsessed with uplifting species and then uniting the Galaxy into a single force in whatever way they can. It'll start peacefully but if that goes bad then they will force them to co-operate with them and everyone else for the own mutual benefit.

Edit: And their entire purpose is to get the Galaxy ready to fight the horrors from beyond Space, like the Unbidden. They will be so Technologically minded that eventually they realized their path of research would lead to Extra-Dimensional Horrors and figure the only way to prepare the galaxy is to bolster it against this unavoidable threat.

Orgun

Ha yeah.

I'm in part 10 and he spent 10 minutes working out what the hell he was doing as he's clearly had other games going on. Then after 25 minutes he realises that his planets have pops not working anything and loads of upgrades because he was ignoring it all before.

No idea if this is his normal play style or just how he's playing for his lets plays but he's manic lol.

Hah that was hilarious. I think it was just because he'd been in another country for two days playing multiplayer and drinking :)

Top Bottom