• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Switch launches September 22 in the Americas and Europe

Effect

I tried to like this game on the PS4 and just couldn't get into it. I just want to play something like Budokai (1-3) and Burst Limit. So at this point I am excited for FighterZ.
I've seen others say they don't like the Xenoverse games. Have yet to play one but are there any major reasons why you didn't like it? Anyone else want to add to this?

Eolz

I've seen others say they don't like the Xenoverse games. Have yet to play one but are there any major reasons why you didn't like it? Anyone else want to add to this?

I liked Xenoverse 1 up to a point.
Didn't play 2 yet, but 1 is a 3D arena fighter really based on the equipment and moves that you choose. Missions get really grindy quickly, and it overall feels like an offline mmo with just a central hub.

It's nice if you like DBZ, it's just repetitive and not deep enough to be fun for tens of hours. Maybe 2 fixed that though.

Ridley327

They're not really traditional fighting games, and Xenoverse 2 especially started pushing things more towards a co-op focused PvE direction. It's a well regarded game, but it's not what people are looking for competitively.

I really wanted Namco Bandai to make the decision easy for me to finally jump into XV, but I'm probably going to wait for the bargain bin.

None of the DLC being included really just comes off greedy.

blazeaire

Man I wish literally any of the other anime fighting game would come but Xenoverse, hated how 1 played and from what I've heard 2 isn't too much different, oh well hope we get Fighterz and hopefully by then Nintendo will have come out with a dpad joycon >.<

Revven

Is the full XV1 campaign included? Or is it just an interactive comic type thing like what was included with Mass Effect 2 on PS3?

Still include Xenoverse 1 story right?
Since I skipped both games I'm tempted to get this one.

Is the xenoverse 1 story included? Like in japan?

Nobody answered these so I will.

It doesn't mention it in the press release anywhere. I'm guessing one of two things:

1) It's still not yet determined what it should be in the West (as in if it should be a pre-order, day 1 edition, or just day 1 DLC)

or

2) They've decided to include it by default in the West and they're sitting on announcing it for later.

But yeah, basically, still not confirmed for the West yet.

This is becoming a strange trend where a notable boxed third party game launches on the same day as a Nintendo-published title:

April: Puyo Puyo Tetris: Out same day as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May: Disgaea 5 Complete: Out same day as USFII (published by Nintendo)
July: Fate/Extella: Out same day as Splatoon 2
September: DBZ Xenoverse 2: Out same day as Pokken DX.
October: Nights of Azure 2: Out same day as Super Mario Odyssey

Now we know that this didn't hurt either Disgaea 5 and Puyo Tetris sales, as both versions of the game sold well, but I'm not too sure about Xenoverse 2 considering how they share the same genre.

I guess it might be a tactic to bolster sales at each major release (the most obvious points at which to focus Switch advertising) to have a smaller, niche release (Though Xenoverse 2 is again the exception here) that can be used to draw in some of the people maybe not looking for any given Nintendo release.

This is a pretty good example of why a lot of third party multiplats don't sell well on Nintendo platforms. Full price, a year late, no DLC, and launching the same day as a first party title.

So does this game come with the entire Xenoverse 1 campaign? I seem to remember reading something about that but there's no mention in the press release.

I guess it might be a tactic to bolster sales at each major release (the most obvious points at which to focus Switch advertising) to have a smaller, niche release (Though Xenoverse 2 is again the exception here) that can be used to draw in some of the people maybe not looking for any given Nintendo release.

Yeah, it does make me wonder whether Nintendo advises publishers on release timing.

Nobody answered these so I will.

It doesn't mention it in the press release anywhere. I'm guessing one of two things:

1) It's still not yet determined what it should be in the West (as in if it should be a pre-order, day 1 edition, or just day 1 DLC)

or

2) They've decided to include it by default in the West and they're sitting on announcing it for later.

But yeah, basically, still not confirmed for the West yet.

Thanks! I need to stop reading this thread backwards before making another post.

jts

...hate me...
This is a pretty good example of why a lot of third party multiplats don't sell well on Nintendo platforms. Full price, a year late, no DLC, and launching the same day as a first party title.
Technically it's half a year late, unless we wanted it to release before the console itself. It's more or less an understandable delay when the Switch is a new console.

We don't know about the price yet. Although I wouldn't be surprised at full price, it's not confirmed so it's a bit early to state it as fact.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
the PS4 versions is on sale right now, but the price is still 59€ in Italy
without DLC, to be purchased separately

if this version will have the Storymode contents for free, being full price (50$ at some retail, we've seen) doesn't sound so otrageous honestly

BigEmil

Any confirmation of what res and fps this will run on Switch for both docked and undocked?

It's 1080p 60fps on other consoles would be interesting to see what this runs at and at what visual settings on here

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Any confirmation of what res and fps this will run on Switch for both docked and undocked?

It's 1080p 60fps on other consoles would be interesting to see what this runs at and at what visual settings on here

900p on TV, 720p in portable mode. 1on1 battles 60fps, otherwise 30fps.

Technically it's half a year late, unless we wanted it to release before the console itself. It's more or less an understandable delay when the Switch is a new console.

We don't know about the price yet. Although I wouldn't be surprised at full price, it's not confirmed so it's a bit early to state it as fact.

11 months once it's out on Switch. I don't have an issue with the release timing if it had extras to compensate. It's the combo of all the things I listed that makes the product unattractive.

Edit - Apparently it includes the first game's story mode? That's pretty cool.

Lgndryhr

Feel very bland and very slow for a mmo-esque fighting game. My character I created felt boring and I spent a lot of time trying to create one. Game starts off very slow and takes forever. Don't care for the mmo-esque feel for a fighter after this title. I just want a menu to select things, cutscenes, and a large roster of iconic characters. Seems to take forever to unlock characters in this game too. Make the create a character optional also. I want to play a fighter and a fun story mode (follows DB universe) with a few fun what-if moments. FigtherZ is my hope for a current gen DB fighter that is good. Most of the DB fighting games have been bleh except for Budokai (1-3) and Burst Limit. I would have enjoyed Xenoverse if it was more like the Legacy of Goku GBA games. Those were a lot of fun when.

shimrra

The only thing I like this version is that I can take it and play it anywhere I go, that being said with out the DLC and if it's a full priced game I'll pass on it.

Scrawnton

In. Loved Xenoverse 1 when I played it on PS4.

I was gonna get it on sale recently for PC but then I remembered I'd love a handheld version.

Based on the box art is the full title actually Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch?

They also italicize it completely in the PR in the link. Namco learn something from Sakurai?

I know some stores (Target) will do free exchanges between versions of the same game. Maybe this is to stop somebody from buying an on-sale PS4/XB1 copy and swapping it for a full-price Switch one?

We get X1 story line. Also releasing it with first party title on its own isn't a biggie. Otherwise I do agree with everything else you said.

Though we're getting two 3d fighting games on the same d
day...

This is becoming a strange trend where a notable boxed third party game launches on the same day as a Nintendo-published title:

April: Puyo Puyo Tetris: Out same day as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May: Disgaea 5 Complete: Out same day as USFII (published by Nintendo)
July: Fate/Extella: Out same day as Splatoon 2
September: DBZ Xenoverse 2: Out same day as Pokken DX.
October: Nights of Azure 2: Out same day as Super Mario Odyssey

Now we know that this didn't hurt either Disgaea 5 and Puyo Tetris sales, as both versions of the game sold well, but I'm not too sure about Xenoverse 2 considering how they share the same genre.
Big game hit the stores. People go to stores. More exposition for small games, more "might pick this one aswell" sales?

LordKano

Big game hit the stores. People go to stores. More exposition for small games, more "might pick this one aswell" sales?

This. It's not by coincidence that Marvelous decided to pick Splatoon 2's release date, or Koei Tecmo Mario Odyssey's one. I don't know if it's a good idea with Pokkén tho.

Opa-Pa

Hmm I waited for this version because I'd love to have it on the go, but 30fps cap is making me reconsider.

Effect

They're not really traditional fighting games, and Xenoverse 2 especially started pushing things more towards a co-op focused PvE direction. It's a well regarded game, but it's not what people are looking for competitively.

I liked Xenoverse 1 up to a point.
Didn't play 2 yet, but 1 is a 3D arena fighter really based on the equipment and moves that you choose. Missions get really grindy quickly, and it overall feels like an offline mmo with just a central hub.

It's nice if you like DBZ, it's just repetitive and not deep enough to be fun for tens of hours. Maybe 2 fixed that though.

Ah gotcha.

That's not to bad. I don't need this to be a competitive game if it wasn't designed to be that. Sound similar to, at their basic, to other games with hub worlds like Destiny, Warframe, PSO, etc. At the very least is the hub world filled people actually playing at that moment in that they'e being controlled by them? Or is it just the avatars of other players selected at random? I know there is multiplayer. Or are there two hubs for offline/single player or online?

Price is really my biggest issue at this point after watching more video. I want it but I'm not sure I want to pay $60 without any extras.

Effect

Looks like it. With Amazon Prime discount, its 40$. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1034HX/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks for this. $40 is a price I don't have any issue with. Still higher then the other versions it seems but not as bad as the $60 everyone was expecting. That's with the discount though. $50 is still pretty high overall.

Going by the video though it looks like there is a local multiplayer mode for up to 6 people with 6 Switches. That could be interesting for those available to take advantage of it. Assuming the game has the content for that to keep people playing that.

Am curious to see if the motion controls are as bad as the controls that appeared in Ultra Street Fighter 2.

sensui-tomo

Game is still at full price on PS4 and Xbone w/o DLC'S.

no, game is about $40 for ps4/xbo and if you use GCU at best buy its $32, with GCU/Prime for the switch price making it $40 its not as bad as thinking we'd have to pay $60 + the dlc , so technically you'll be paying $20 for the season pass/dlc making it $60 if you're smart about it.

ryushe

Wait, I can do the Kamahamaha, Final Flash and other moves via the Joy-cons?!

Apparently they aren't charging enough for this game.

Top Bottom