• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linda Hamilton returns to "Terminator".

Furlong? Go get somebody that looks like Michael Edwards

john_connor__s_thoughts_by_goldfield88-d33yi3q.jpg
Jon Hamm?

Wonder what rating they're shooting for.

If this isn't already aiming for a return to its R-rated roots, it's already dead in the water.

Not sure what the point of hiring Tim Miller would be if they weren't going for an R rating. Him and Ryan Reynolds fought hard for an R rated Deadpool and it almost never even got made until someone (probably Ryan or Tim themselves) leaked the test footage. This is a much easier fight.

Arnold is too old to be taken seriously. The last few films completely wrecked the franchise. This will suck, Jim Cameron or not.

Ted Furlong would be cool though!

Epcott

Great about Hamilton, but this part has me excited!

Cameron and Miller created a writers room to hammer out what is planned to be a trilogy that can stand as single movies or form an overarching story. David Goyer, whose credits include the Blade and Christopher Nolan’s Batman movies, Charles Eglee, who created Dark Angel with Cameron, and Josh Friedman, who created the Terminator TV spinoff, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, were part of that room.

Cameron recognizing greatness.

No fate but what we ate.

Lmao omg

I wonder how they approach John Connor in here. He could be a burn out maybe if they happened to delay judgement day and he lets his guard down?

Or maybe this movie goes the future war route like terminator salvation

I could see JGL or Boyd Holbrook playing pretty good John Connors to kind of riff off of furlong

orava

Great about Hamilton, but this part has me excited!

Cameron recognizing greatness.

This is excellent. For me, TSCC is true continuation to Terminator 2. Also noticed that Friedman is involved in Avatar sequel as a writer so Cameron knew him already.

I'm interested to see what Arnold's role in this is. An old terminator is dumb and a him playing the guy who the terminator model in based on is dumb too. Maybe they'll deage him like they did Kurt Russell in GOTG2.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I will always watch any movie that has

Predator
Alien
Terminator

in the title. Thats how good the originals were, that I can keep doing this to myself for decades and it doesn't really bother me. Because if they can capture even half of what made the originals good, then automatically thats at least worth a matinee.

Seconded

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I will always watch any movie that has

Predator
Alien
Terminator

in the title. Thats how good the originals were, that I can keep doing this to myself for decades and it doesn't really bother me. Because if they can capture even half of what made the originals good, then automatically thats at least worth a matinee.

That's what the execs bank on. I'm the same.

kiguel182

Yeah that got my attention since SCC is the only good Terminator anything released this century.

Also some people didn't like SCC? wow only thing bad about that show was the 'ending'

The one problem with the ending was that they got cancelled!

But yeah, awesome show and definitely the only Terminator thing worth a damn after T2.

jett

D-Member
I watched T3 in theaters.
Watched Salvation in theaters.
Watched Genisys in theaters.

Not again breh, not again.

FyreWulff

ermm
last time i saw Linda Hamilton she was morphing into mel gibson
effe63584b034ad3bf9ca89153c4.jpg

Gotta lay of the durries

alg_mel_gibson.jpg

that's an old pic. she's lost weight since then

fb6ZVQz.png

and despite his earlier stupidity, Cameron does have a point that older women don't really get action parts and he's intentionally casting Linda partly because he now wants to see an older woman have an action hero role - so it looks like he actually listened to what others said about his Wonder Woman remarks.

I mean, kinda notice how even the T-800 has had aging retconned into the story, we've seen old John, but somehow Sarah is always been a young character? (and the alternate T2 Senator John ending doesn't count) Yeah.

Kazuhira

How is this gonna work anyway? I know some time travel magic can 'fix' it,but i just don't see it.
She's dead before T3 and she's too old if T6 is another prequel,unless the throw some offscreen story about how they went to back to the past and cured his cancer or some shit.

T3, Salvation, and Genisys will be ignored.

Oh,i see.
Thanks.

FyreWulff

How is this gonna work anyway? I know some time travel magic can 'fix' it,but i just don't see it.
She's dead before T3 and she's too old if T6 is another prequel,unless the throw some offscreen story about how they went to back to the past and cured his cancer or some shit.

T3, Salvation, and Genisys will be ignored.

Linda Hamilton got the rights when she divorced Cameron and immediately sold them. Cameron gets them back due to a law that gives rights back to the original creator after X years.

I don't think she ever actually got royalties outside of the usual for copies/revenue off the films since they used her face and voice in them.

Linda Hamilton never had the rights, Cameron actually sold his rights back in 83 to Hemdale/Orion to ensure he got to direct The Terminator. Gale Ann Hurd who was the co-owner of the rights kept hers. Once Hemdale collapses, their share of the rights are acquired by Mario Kassar and Andrew Vajna at Carolco. Carolco and Gale Ann Hurd cut a deal to make Terminator 2. She and Arnold talk Carolco into giving Cameron total creative control and at the time unheard of budget to make the movie he wants. Afterwards Carolco who despite having some huge hits are really bad at the accounting thing go under thanks to the stupid decision to let Geena Davis and Renny Harlin make their stupid Pirate movie. Carolco share of Terminator rights go back on the market as part of the Liquidation of Carolco's assets. Cameron and Hurd hatch a plan to buy back the Carolco rights and sit on them until Cameron decides he wants to do T3. At the last moment of the sale of the rights Kassar and Vajna with new investors form C3 and with Warner backing them reacquire the rights. C3 then offers Hurd a crazy offer to acquire her share of the rights, she takes it and we get the T3 and Salvation shitstorm and then Gensys. In 2019 through ip law, Cameron and I imagine Gale Ann Hurd too get the rights back.

firelogic

Arnold and Linda are way too old to be front and center in an action movie. If they're just role model characters with a new fresh cast, I guess it could be fine but isn't it about time they part ways with Arnold? He looked ROUGH in the last one.

okdakor

Have Sarah Connor old and sick like Xavier in Logan, with a near obsolete Terminator nursing her. Just have the two of them leaving in the mountains, just old people talks, fishing, hunting... then Sarah breaks her hip and Arnold tries to bring her on a really nice place so she can see her last sunrise. When they finally make it (Revenant style, Arnold crawling after a bear fight with Sarah on his back), instead of the sunrise, it's just an atomic explosion in the distance.

That would be cool, but unless Cameron or Bigelow is directing this thing, not sure if interested. I do realize that Bigelow directing Hamilton would be super awkward.

Meh, they are too old to get awkward.

I always know one day Sigourney Weaver will return and do one more Alien movie. I am glad Hamilton can do it too.

It's sad for the franchises of Alien, Predator and Terminator on what they have become.

Pretty excited about the new predator actually. Aside from the fact that shane black just had to shoehorn another damn kid into his movie it sounds like it could be a really good time.

Alien and Terminator have definitely gone to shit though. But in aliens case at least you get some entertainment out of the wreckage with Fassbender hamming it up as dr Frankenstein. Ridley seems intent on running it into the ground tho so i don't really see that franchise fixing anytime soon

Maybe terminator will end up ok though? We'll see. I like that they might be making an effort to give us a decent sequel to 2.

Jenov

I think the only older, female action star that I've ever seen is Helen Mirren playing a few assassin types in movies. There really aren't very many at all, so I'll be interested in seeing Cameron pull it off.

MrBS

That's a great move. That said I have 0% faith in a Terminator moive being good at this point but that wont stop me from seeing it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I really hope this is good, and I hope this is a send off for the franchise as a whole.

While I personally think Terminator should have ended with T2, there’s no denying that the IP itself does have the strength to tell more stories within that universe. I loved The Sarah Connor Chronicles (though I never got to finish it).

Hamilton coming back has me thinking this may be a swan song for that character and era of Terminator. If they want to continue it, they need to go in a vastly different direction.

J2 Cool

Ive always felt like Sarah was this long lost warrior/myth by the time Kyle Reese was holding into her photo in the future. I guess T2 changes that future, but not sure what I would have in store for Sarah Connor narratively that far down the line. Feels like she did everything.

Still yet to have someone nail John Connor, sans T2's opening.

jelly

I want arnold back as long as hes not a terminator. He plays the scientist that the terminator is modeled after. I want to see old arnie in a lab coat and glasses.

I wonder if Skynet had some humans on their side. As ridiculous as T3 is, you can't imagine Skynet getting anywhere without human assistance to a much later point. They'll probably retcon T3 and have humans developing advanced cyborgs.

Top Bottom