• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jon said:
Giants just traded Jonathan Sanchez to the Royals for Melky Cabrera.

Uhhh...
Wow, they're getting out while the getting's good with Oliver Perez 2.0. This is the beginning of the second wave of Giants pitchers starting to come up IMHO.

Yep, confirmed. Giants trade Jonathan Sanchez to the Royals for Melky Cabrera. The Royals also get minor league pitcher Ryan Verdugo.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
lol giants, i guess they probably did save about 4-5 million though but Melky? That should be fun to watch. And i guess that probably axes the braves/royals stuff.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That is an amazing trade for the Giants. Really well done.

And lol at David Wright being worth a Trout. Bourjos would be a great piece to get, but Wright isn't even worth that much.

darkside31337 said:
That is an amazing trade for the Giants. Really well done.

And lol at David Wright being worth a Trout. Bourjos would be a great piece to get, but Wright isn't even worth that much.
WHICH IS WHY YOU DON'T FUCKING TRADE HIM NOW.

Goddamn it, it's like people think he's completely done. You guys underestimate how much Citi Field was in his head, and the adjustments he made post-rib injury to his stance/approach.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:

Goddamn it, it's like people think he's completely done. You guys underestimate how much Citi Field was in his head, and the adjustments he made post-rib injury to his stance/approach.

David Wright won't be worth Trout, ever. Even if he starts playing well. You don't trade a prospect like that for 1 year of any player, especially if that player is David Wright.

darkside31337 said:
David Wright won't be worth Trout, ever. Even if he starts playing well. You don't trade a prospect like that for 1 year of any player, especially if that player is David Wright.
Agreed. Trout was the number one prospect last year. No way we get him for Wright. Bourjos with some other prospects is way more believable.

Actually I'm more talking about trading Wright than getting Mike Trout.

... so if you could get 1 year of prime Pujols, you wouldn't trade a Trout?

Windu

The Frankman said:
Actually I'm more talking about trading Wright than getting Mike Trout.

... so if you could get 1 year of prime Pujols, you wouldn't trade a Trout?
depends if you have a legit chance to win the world series, if you have a chance to resign pujols and if you have a decent replacement in center.

Trout will be worth more over his 5 years of control than one year of pujols.

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:

You are simply the most delusional fan on this forum.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Corran Horn said:
I wanted to trade Sanchez got awhile now....but for Melky? Uhhhhhhhh

Both Melky and Sanchez have had exactly one good year in their careers. I think it's much more likely that Melky keeps up his 2011 play this year than it is Sanchez manages to bounce back. It's a trade that makes sense for both teams, but I like it better for the Giants.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I don't believe that ballparks can ruin a professional baseball players psyche, so no.
Jason Bay, Larry Jones, David Wright, and quite a few players would like to have a word with you.

It's been well documented Wright actually changed his approach/stance and tried to become more of a pull hitter, which is not his usually hitting style (LOL 415 TO RIGHT CENTER). Jones commented many a time on how he couldn't believe the dimensions in Citi, and heard from player how it definitely "got in their head".

Jason Bay... yeah let's not talk about him. Gotta keep letting him believe it was just the park!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Cuddyer is looking for 4 years and $52 million. The Twins are apparently (stupidly) willing to go up to 4 years and $40 million.

I hope Amaro can save Bill Smith from himself and fast.

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
Jason Bay, Larry Jones, David Wright, and quite a few players would like to have a word with you.

It's been well documented Wright actually changed his approach/stance and tried to become more of a pull hitter, which is not his usually hitting style. Jones commented many a time on how he couldn't believe the dimensions in Citi, and heard from player how it definitely "got in their head".

Jason Bay... yeah let's not talk about him. Gotta keep letting him believe it was just the park!
They are called road games. Jason Bay clearly benefited the most from Fenway park, but he wasn't the shell of a player he is now prior. I would even go as far as saying it's a Mest problem.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
They are called road games. Jason Bay clearly benefited the most from Fenway park, but he wasn't the shell of a player he is now prior. I would even go as far as saying it's a Mest problem.
That's why I posted it as "let Bay believe it was the park". Bay has so much motion and hand movement in his swing his stance/stride is fucked up, nvm his declining bat speed and questionable plate discipline...

The Frankman said:

It's been well documented Wright actually changed his approach/stance and tried to become more of a pull hitter, which is not his usually hitting style (LOL 415 TO RIGHT CENTER). Jones commented many a time on how he couldn't believe the dimensions in Citi, and heard from player how it definitely "got in their head".

I remember also reading that the reason road players were hitting homers easier when they went to Citi Field was because they only play there for a few games. Hence, they don't feel the need to make changes to their swings when visiting.

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
That's why I posted it as "let Bay believe it was the park". Bay has so much motion and hand movement in his swing his stance/stride is fucked up, nvm his declining bat speed and questionable plate discipline...
Then I'll go back to Wright. I'm not going to believe that he has become a giant headcase that cowers when he has to play at home. Injury related decline possibly, but he just isn't that good.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Then I'll go back to Wright. I'm not going to believe that he has become a giant headcase that cowers when he has to play at home. Injury related decline possibly, but he just isn't that good.
The Wright I saw post-back injury was the closest I saw to the old Wright in a long time. Hit the ball the other way again, pulled it if he had to, focused on line drives. All I'm saying is assuming he stays on that track in addition to the ballpark being fairer to his natural power stroke should mark a return to Wright hitting .290-ish/20-25 HR/90 RBI. Is that really too much for him?

Frank is right that you don't trade Wright now. But for me it's all about that one-year team option. I'm also hoping the fences moving in help him a bit.

Sanjuro

You don't trade Wright because he isn't worth anything. There is nobody vastly superior coming out at the third base position. At this point there is no reason to abandon the contract.

Windu

wright is still a .275/.350/.480 hitter at worst when healthy. He is like a crippled Chipper Jones at 40.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
You don't trade Wright because he isn't worth anything. There is nobody vastly superior coming out at the third base position. At this point there is no reason to abandon the contract.
Why'd you have to put it that way??? :(

Sanjuro

CajoleJuice said:
Why'd you have to put it that way??? :(
Well, I wasn't here to argue the contractual issues. Primarily the ghosts and goblins Frank believes are in his head thanks to Citibank.

Mets aren't even rebuilding. They are going into next season ready to fail. Trading Wright would just be signing the dotted line that they are conceding. At best Wright and Johan have comeback seasons, sign a couple veteran FA at reasonable value, and you have yourselves a potential enjoyable season.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Well, I wasn't here to argue the contractual issues. Primarily the ghosts and goblins Frank believes are in his head thanks to Citibank.
Sure, let's ignore the testimonials of one of his best friends...

Windu

the mets should be gobbling up all of the type a and b free agents and giving them one year deals for too much money so they can get draft picks, unless that has changed in the cba.

edit: errr, i meant getting free agents that might be type a and b

Werd, and we have no real good offensive talent ready to step in next year. The Mets need to give Fernando Martinez a chance. If not, trade his arse. The guy is still only 22 years old.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Werd, and we have no real good offensive talent ready to step in next year. The Mets need to give Fernando Martinez a chance. If not, trade his arse. The guy is still only 22 years old.
They can't even trade him because he has no value too!

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
Sure, let's ignore the testimonials of one of his best friends...
I'm Carl Crawford's best friend. He told me he hated Fenway because he was too used to the urine stained carpet in Tampa.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I'm Carl Crawford's best friend. He told me he hated Fenway because he was too used to the urine stained carpet in Tampa.
Bullshit. I'm sure he hated Fenway because he underestimated how many racists were in the stands.

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
Bullshit. I'm sure he hated Fenway because he underestimated how many racists were in the stands.
I was called a n***er at Shea. I clearly underestimated the amount of colorblind racists in the stands.

Windu

to be fair, Fernando Martinez would make a good ball boy. Have you seen the giants ball "boys"? they need all the help they can get.

Windu said:
to be fair, Fernando Martinez would make a good ball boy. Have you seen the giants ball "boys"? they need all the help they can get.
F-Mart is going to be someone's pool boy in a few years.
So the Phillies are interested in Yoennis Cespedes. I know nothing about him.
His scouting video was on YouTube earlier today, but it's since been taken down. I wanted to watch it, too. Apparently it's insane.

Here's a long rundown: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15469

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom