• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

cthoaa

2zodpw1.jpg

GMA (Philippines) commercial for Pacquiao-Barrera II: Will to Win (YouTube)

Setanta Sports (UK) commercial for Pacquiao-Barrera II: Will to Win (YouTube)

Barrera fighting for more than just the W against Pacquiao (ESPN.com)

An article by Dr. Margaret Goodman (the bespectacled, redheaded ringside physician) in which she recounts and reflects on her experiences working and interacting w/ MAB.

Pacquiao and Barrera Ready to Fight (ESPN Video)

Weigh-in footage for Pacquiao-Barrera. There were some concerns ahead of time re: Pacquiao's weight, but both fighters made 130 on their first try.

cthoaa

The Contender - Season Three, Episiode Five (Stage6)

This week's Contender was a really good episode again. Donny McCrary, who should be fighting @ 154 or 160, hung in there for five rounds against a top ten super middleweight, even coming close to really hurting Sakio Bika and putting him away. They confirmed McCrary for the reunion show pretty much immediately. Great quotes from him, too:

"Nobody wants to fight Sakio b/c Sakio's a big beast. The man has muscles in his eyebrows."

"Don't matter who you put me in the ring with. I'm gonna fight, regardless. I'd fight King Kong. Tonight, Sakio was King Kong."

The locker room scenes w/ McCrary and his kids, pre- and especially post-fight, were tearjerkers. His daughter's adorable.

e6vq5x.jpg
2ufabsx.jpg

Floyd Mayweather & Karina Smirnoff, Quickstep - DWTS Season Five, Episode Four (YouTube)

Scores aside, I think the judges like Floyd or at least want him to do well. Rather than the weak platitudes or harsh comments they give the other contestants, the judges instead seem to give him good advice and constructive criticism.

When he's doing well or really feeling it, he sticks out his chin as if he's daring an opponent to hit him (as above). It's funny for a fan too see this, but the judges take off even more points for his already poor posture.

ElectricBlue187 said:
I watched a lot of boxing in college and the most amazing boxer was Mayweather I think. The guy is just so lighting quick it was hard to pick up on where his hands were going even as a spectator!

He's a favorite of mine, too. He's definitely quick...

11alcop.jpg

...but not quick enough! :lol (He shoulda SHOULDER ROLLED her!)

EDIT:

Pretty Boy Slams "Pretty Boy"! (YouTube)

Albert Reed, the male model who was voted off DWTS this week, rips Mayweather during a radio interview.

cthoaa

Peter-McCline fight to go on despite steroids report

Samuel Peter and Jameel McCline were set to fight for the heavyweight title at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night while boxing authorities investigate a report that McCline received large amounts of steroids and other banned substances in 2005 and 2006.

"So far everything's OK," New York State Athletic Commission chairman Ron Scott Stevens told The Associated Press on Friday.

McCline had his prefight physical Thursday, Stevens said. The boxers will be tested for performance-enhancing and illegal drugs through urinalysis about an hour before the fight Saturday and right afterward, with results coming about five days later, he said.

McCline (38-7-3, 23 KOs) and Peter (28-1, 22 KOs) are to fight for the WBC interim heavyweight title. McCline is a substitute for the fight, following an injury to Oleg Maskaev.

Citing an anonymous source, the newspaper reported that Infinity Longevity of Boca Raton, Fla., a clinic associated with the Signature Pharmacy scandal, supplied drugs to McCline from March 2005 until last December. They included steroids like stanozolol and nandrolone, along with human growth hormone, testosterone and tamoxifen, an estrogen blocker taken by steroid users to keep them from developing feminine physical characteristics.

cthoaa

I'm having trouble collecting all my thoughts on last night's main event.

The undercard was solid, and I thought Andrade-Mack had really good action.

Pacquiao-Barrera was disappointing, but still entertaining. I thought MAB would stage a different fight for his swansong, but I guess not.

He was very composed and tactical, circling away. Pacquiao was chasing and off-balance at times, but Barrera just wasn't active enough.

When Barrera did exchange some, his corner had him back off and stick to the gameplan -- "Don't get knocked out" -- and MAB admitted as much post-fight. It's frustrating to watch this plan in practice, and I felt a lot of Jones-Tarver III here.

Manny quietly brought the action, but didn't push things and showed Barrera lots of respect. He looked really distracted at times and wasn't really cutting off the ring, seemingly content to follow.

I had Manny up, but not as wide as 10-2, nor as close as 7-5.

I also thought HBO's largely negative commentary again hurt the fight, just as it did Hopkins-Wright.

And the CompuBox numbers seemed like they were from a different fight altogether.

Alex Anderson said:
Peter v. McCline was a lot more exciting and watchable than I thought it was going to be.

I haven't seen this yet, but the first couple rounds must have been wild. For the scores to be what they were, Peter must have staged a huge rally.

I did, however, see the post-fight presser, and my indifference towards Peter was swayed. He was offering so many excuses (some valid, some not) and getting really comfortable calling himself "THE" heavyweight champion.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Yeah the man event was lackluster. Manny wanted to engage but Marco just wanted to box. Its not the way I wanted him to go out in his last fight. When he fought Marquez he looked lik he still had some left in the tank.

Well next week you go my boy Juan Diaz from H-town going up against Julio Diaz. Im expecting Juan to put on a show.

cthoaa

When Pacquiao first fought Barrera, his promoters told him he would be getting a purse of USD 300,000 (it was approx. double that), and from it, Manny says he only took home USD 80,000. Now, for Pacquiao-Barrera II:

P308-M payday for Pacquiao

Manny Pacquiao earned a whopping $7 million (about P308 million) from his recent fight with Mexican legend Marco Antonio Barrera, according to a source close to the Filipino ring celebrity.

The source, who is part of Pacquiao’s entourage in the United States, said the hard-hitting southpaw collected as much as $3 million in prize money, $2 million from United States pay-per-view sales and another $2 million from his share of the local pay-per-view pie.

cthoaa

allq8w.jpg

DRAAAAAAKUUUUUULIIIIIIIICH!
Bloodied Naito retains WBC title as fight ends in farce

TOKYO (Reuters) - Daisuke Naito retained his WBC flyweight title with a unanimous decision over fellow Japanese Daiki Kameda in an ugly fight that ended in farce on Thursday.

The 33-year-old Naito, bleeding from a nasty cut above his right eye, won by a wide margin after his posturing 18-year-old rival was docked three points in the 12th round.

Kameda, younger brother of former light flyweight world champion Koki, was behind on the judges' scorecards and needed a knockout but instead lost the plot completely.

The challenger, wearing golden gloves to match his dyed hair, was penalised a point for punching Naito as they wrestled after once again falling to the canvas in a scrappy fight.

A furious Kameda then picked up Naito and hurled him down before screaming wide-eyed in anger, giving the referee little choice but to dock him a further two points.
"12 Rounds are Wrestling" (YouTube)

EDIT:
Japan's media rubs salt into Kameda wounds

"Worst ever world title match!" ran the headline in the Sports Nippon daily, calling Kameda's antics "pro-wrestling, not boxing" and suggesting he should have been disqualified.

The Sankei Sports went even further, ridiculing Kameda's claims in the run-up to the fight that he would commit "hara-kiri" if he lost.

"Daiki a weakling!" ran the paper's headline, noting how angry fans had goaded Kameda as he trudged away from the ring, shouting at him to carry out his pre-fight promise.

EDIT 2:

His whole family got hit up.

JBC suspends Kameda family!

The Japan Boxing Commission (JBC) announced today (Monday) a suspension of the Kameda family because of their terrible violations of rules and regulations in the WBC flyweight title bout last Thursday (October 11). The previously unbeaten WBC #14 ranked Daiki Kameda (10-1, 7 KOs), 18, failed to win the world throne by a lopsided decision against defending titlist Daisuke Naito, a 33-year-old compatriot. Kameda committed repeated fouls of hitting the thigh, head-butting, thumbing, throwing the champ and lifting him up to throw again. In the twelfth and final session, Daiki was penalized no less than three points by the referee Vic Drakulich. Also, before the eleventh, his father/chief second Shiro and his elder brother/ex-WBA 108-pound champ Koki urged Daiki to hurt the champ with fouls, which was clearly recorded on TV. The JBC suspended Daiki for one year and his father Shiro indefinitely as a cornerman. WBA #1/WBC #3 ranked flyweight contender Koki (16-0, 11 KOs), 20, the most popular and flamboyant boxer in Japan, was severely reprimanded for his unsportsmanlike behavior. The JBC’s announcement at 6:30PM caused a nationwide sensation with a great many TV cameras shooting the proceedings which received tremendously big coverage on all news shows.

cthoaa

Holyfield and Ibragimov Ready to Fight (ESPN Video)

Weigh-in footage from Moscow. Weights were 219 Ibragimov, 211.5 Holyfield.

The pre-show for US coverage starts in a little bit @ something like 12:30PM Eastern/9:30AM Pacific, which speaks poorly of the demand for this fight stateside. (Or, at the least, in comparison to local demand.) For a bigger overseas fight w/ more stateside interest, PPV providers would have paid for it to be held at a more accommodating hour.

Shoho

Banned
I dont know if this is the right thread for this(I was junior membered over a year ago, so I cant make threads anymore) - But, I have been thinking of trying Muay Thai, for a while now.

Anyone who has any type of experience with that style? Is it hard? What do you mostly do? is it really effective? Does it get you in shape?

I tried doing wing chun kung fu for a while, but I thought it was really hard and hard to memorize the stances, and all the techniques. alot of things to remember in exact orders:/

cthoaa

Almost assuredly, it'll be closer than Ibragimov-Holifield. Oh, man...

Sultan Ibragimov = a better, Russian Chris Byrd? (Kris? Kristoff?)

cthoaa

Shoho said:
I dont know if this is the right thread for this(I was junior membered over a year ago, so I cant make threads anymore) - But, I have been thinking of trying Muay Thai, for a while now.

Anyone who has any type of experience with that style? Is it hard? What do you mostly do? is it really effective? Does it get you in shape?

I tried doing wing chun kung fu for a while, but I thought it was really hard and hard to memorize the stances, and all the techniques. alot of things to remember in exact orders:/
Some people in the mixed martial arts discussion thread would probably be taking Muay Thai, or you can try posting in something like "Martial Arts: Starting out as an adult". HTH.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
box_a_juandiaz2_412.jpg

My boy Juan put a beating on Julio. Made him quit right after the 8th round. Now he is calling out Pac. I say he would take Pac out.

chodebot

This was the first time I ever saw Juan Diaz, but how weak of a puncher is he? He threw dozens of power punches at Julio Diaz every round, but he couldn't even get the guy stunned, much less knock him down. He was clearly winning based on points, but Julio Diaz looked like he coulda taken those punches for about 8 more rounds. The only reason he quit was that his corner knew he was gonna lose on the cards so there was no reason to continue....

Also, they said only 16 of Juan's 32 wins by KO? I really question the guys punching strength.....

cthoaa

SSGMUN10000 said:
My boy Juan put a beating on Julio. Made him quit right after the 8th round. Now he is calling out Pac. I say he would take Pac out.
Through the first few rounds, I thought the fight was of the caliber of Castillo/Corrales I, only cleaner and lower on the Richter scale.

But Juan just kept going and going and going and eventually took Julio's heart, just as he did Freitas'. One of my favorite performances this year.

Juan got touched a lot, but he took everything well and seemed otherwise unaffected. And his workrate and stamina? Awesome. I really don't think David Diaz has anything for him, nor do I think Pacquiao can go the distance. Casa's old, but his southpaw stance might give Juan a different look and Joel's also not afraid to headbutt and elbow and make the fight ugly.

Again, great fight while it lasted, but it really should have been been in California or Texas and maybe on WCB, not BAD. Juan would be better off w/ Golden Boy and not Don King, as one of the announce crew intimated. (Merchant, I think?) Also, I hate seeing his mom @ his fights, going through the agony b/w rounds. Not blaming her, and I like seeing her happy at the end, but I think HBO exploits (too strong a word?) her and I wouldn't be surprised if they foot the bill to fly her out. But that's probably just me being cynical...

chodebot said:
This was the first time I ever saw Juan Diaz, but how weak of a puncher is he? He threw dozens of power punches at Julio Diaz every round, but he couldn't even get the guy stunned, much less knock him down. He was clearly winning based on points, but Julio Diaz looked like he coulda taken those punches for about 8 more rounds. The only reason he quit was that his corner knew he was gonna lose on the cards so there was no reason to continue....

Also, they said only 16 of Juan's 32 wins by KO? I really question the guys punching strength.....
Yah, he just doesn't have it, which he admits. At least, not the natural, eye-catching power that can change a fight in one punch. He's pretty square to his opponents and doesn't turn over completely, instead favoring quick, accurate combinations as they play to two of his greatest strengths -- his hand speed and his stamina.

I think he could go on a weight-training program or something; maybe carry his weight differently, adding muscle in hopes of manufacturing power. But who knows? He might sacrifice some of his speed or mess up his seemingly limitless energy.

cthoaa

ESPN.com added the rest of the "uncut" fights from The Contender's first round:

1znuejr.jpg

The Contender Uncut: Alexander vs Soliman (ESPN Video)
The Contender Uncut: Johnsen vs Hernandez (ESPN Video)
The Contender Uncut: Bika vs McCrary (ESPN Video)
The Contender Uncut: Smith vs Banks (ESPN Video)

The most recent fight, Paul Smith vs. Tony Banks, was well-matched and closely-contested. Some controversy surrounding the new "Every Round Counts" system was avoided when Smith, who won his fight but did not gain enough points to advance to the next round, was also ruled medically ineligible due to cuts.

Site also features an article, "Naz is bound for HOF", which offers some history behind the Barrera-Hamed fight and talks up Prince Hamed's Hall of Fame credentials as he's now eligible for Canastota, having been retired for five years now. His old promoter, Frank Warren, does the same in his article, "Barrera n' Naz are both legends".

23jqpt5.jpg

cthoaa

PBF got eliminated this week on "Dancing with the Stars". He was third to last by judges' scoring last week, and was second to last after fan voting. This week he was second to last on judges' scorecards, and in the end was eliminated.

Mark Cuban improved his standing dramatically after fan voting. He posted the lowest score of the contestants (21 to Mayweather's 23), but was out of the bottom two, surpassing Mel B.

2nar5aq.jpg
641c7p.jpg

Dancing with the Stars KOs Mayweather (ESPN Video)
Jimmy Kimmel w/ Floyd Mayweather from DWTS (YouTube)
Mayweather eliminated from "Dancing with the Stars" (YouTube)
No 'Dancing' -- just boxing -- for Mayweather (YouTube)

EDIT: Ricky weighs in w/ his opinion.

Hatton's Dance Critique (YouTube)

cthoaa

FightFan.com interviews El Cepillo, w/ comments on the Baby Bull, Diaz-Diaz, Pacquiao, Katsidis. Some:

"If you speak to anyone who knows boxing they’ll tell you that Joel Casamayor is the best lightweight in the world. All this fuss is being made over Juan Diaz and his empty titles. If the Baby Bitch wants to be the best, he has to fight the best. He keeps talking about how old I am. Come on son, let daddy give you a lesson!"

"I feel (Manny Pacquiao) is a better fighter than Diaz. A win over Pacquiao would mean more because baby boy Diaz has never won any big fights. He’s never been in with fighters like me and Pacquiao, and believe me, I would love to show the world how easy I would stop Pacquiao. But if I’m being honest, I think he’s just as afraid of me as Diaz is. Freddie Roach says I’m washed up and I can’t hurt Manny. They need to recognize I’m the best at 135. Manny, you want to move up? I’d be glad to destroy you and prove Roach wrong. But I have a feeling that just like last year, these guys will all run from me. Hopefully Golden Boy Promotions will get me the marquee fights I’ve been waiting for since I became THE champion!"

"Don’t get me wrong, I would also like to show HBO and the world that their 'baby bull' is a bust and isn’t half the fighter he or Don King thinks he is. Don King ain’t no punk, he knows I’ll turn his little Mexican into Ryan Leaf real quick!"

"I can’t hate on the way the kid looked, but he was supposed to do that with nothing in front of him. That’s the type of performance you’d expect from a B or C level fighter like Julio."

Full Joel Casamayor Interview @ FightFan.com

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Well now that Floyd is out of the show he can concentrate full time on training for the fight. Man Dec 8th is going to be one hell of a night. Dont know who to go for.

As for Casamayor....I think he has blown his chances and his best years are past him. He is still good but too inactive. Cant remember the last time he fought.

cthoaa

I can definitely get behind the idea of "to be the man, you have to beat the man" and in that sense, Casamayor's still the guy to beat. But when he's been away for so long and when Juan Diaz has accomplished so much during that time, it's hard not to side w/ the younger, more active guy who holds three belts.

The only thing for certain IMO: David Diaz is pretty much a lame duck.

cthoaa

Some stuff from this weekend:

l_54a24de2ea8060ce7be53156cec16092.gif

Montreal-based Lucian Bute brutally KOed Alejandro Berrio to win the IBF super middleweight title in his hometown.

Contraversial first round stoppage involving heavyweight prospect, Travis Walker (YouTube)

Odlanier Solis' 5th professional fight (YouTube)

A title fight occurred b/w the returning Vic Darchinyan and 20-13-3 Federico Catubay for the vacant IBO super flyweight title. Vic put Catubay down several times, but took the full twelve rounds to finish it.

Cristian Mijares (32-3-2) defended his WBC super flyweight title against Franck Gorjux (16-7). Mijares won by first round TKO.

And, before possibly facing Pavlik early next year, John Duddy beat a 19-year old in two rounds.

cthoaa

Duddy has to get in line as Taylor exercises his rematch clause.
Pavlik-Taylor rematch is on the way

Minutes after he was knocked out by Kelly Pavlik in one of the year's best fights on Sept. 29, Jermain Taylor said he wanted a rematch.

Three weeks later, nothing has changed.

And so, sometime in early 2008, Pavlik and Taylor will meet in a rematch of a bout that is a contender for the 2007 Fight of the Year, in which Pavlik lifted the WBC and WBO middleweight belts from Taylor with a seventh-round knockout.

Taylor by contract had the right to exercise a rematch clause within 30 days. On Tuesday, he informed promoter Lou DiBella of his intention to do so.

Pavlik promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank had hoped to match Pavlik with John Duddy, an Irishman who has an extraordinarily large following in the New York metropolitan area, at Madison Square Garden in January, and then face Taylor in a rematch in the summer at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

He said that now that Taylor has exercised the rematch clause, he's going to try to make a Pavlik match with light heavyweight Bernard Hopkins for Browns Stadium in the summer should Pavlik defeat Taylor again.

Golden Boy+Top Rank cards look good, and it's great that Arum can so openly talk about fights w/ Golden Boy boxers as real possibilities.

cthoaa

From last week's Friday Fight Night on Sky Sports. Great action on the inside.

2m3pi0k.jpg

C.Johanneson (c) v. M.Gomez, British Super Featherweight Title fight

Johanneson-Gomez: Pre-fight
Johanneson-Gomez: Pre-fight (cont.), Entrances, Intros
Johanneson-Gomez: Intros (cont.), Opening Rounds
Johanneson-Gomez: Middle Rounds
Johanneson-Gomez: Final Rounds, Post-Fight
Johanneson-Gomez: Post-Fight (cont.)

Ricky Hatton attended tonight's Fight Night and gave an update on his training and the ticket situation in Vegas.

Hatton: Preparation couldn't be better (SkySports)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Woohoo just make reservations to go see the Showtime Tarver fight December 1st at the Foxwoods! Been trying to get there of Mohegan Sun for an event for the last year!

Showtimes website advertises the card as:

Antonio Tarver vs. Danny Green
Vernon Forrest vs. Michele Piccirillo
Nonito Donaire vs. Luis Maldonado

boxrec also lists Vic Darchinyan against an unnamed challenger.

All boxers Rhonda and I are very familiar with so I'm excited about ths one. Last fight I was at was here in DC when Tyson got lit up.

cthoaa

DarienA said:
Woohoo just make reservations to go see the Showtime Tarver fight December 1st at the Foxwoods! Been trying to get there of Mohegan Sun for an event for the last year!

Showtimes website advertises the card as:

Antonio Tarver vs. Danny Green
Vernon Forrest vs. Michele Piccirillo
Nonito Donaire vs. Luis Maldonado

boxrec also lists Vic Darchinyan against an unnamed challenger.

All boxers Rhonda and I are very familiar with so I'm excited about ths one. Last fight I was at was here in DC when Tyson got lit up.

That's a great card. It's crazy that Forrest-Piccirillo isn't the main even. I'm pretty fond of Piccirillo (mostly out-of-ring) and it's cool he's getting another fight in America b/c I think he's been in Italy for a while now. I haven't seen Maldonado, but his only loss is vs. Darchinyan so I guess winner gets to rematch Vic? (I hope it's Donaire.)

I think Tarver will have his hands full w/ Green, tho. At least at this stage of his career.

DarienA

cthoaa said:
That's a great card. It's crazy that Forrest-Piccirillo isn't the main even. I'm pretty fond of Piccirillo (mostly out-of-ring) and it's cool he's getting another fight in America b/c I think he's been in Italy for a while now. I haven't seen Maldonado, but his only loss is vs. Darchinyan so I guess winner gets to rematch Vic? (I hope it's Donaire.)

I think Tarver will have his hands full w/ Green, tho. At least at this stage of his career.

Yeah we're real excited about this... I just happened to be checking boxrec yesterday to see what cards were going to be up in CT and saw this... I think we scored really good seats too... kinda hard to tell from the seating chart on the website (which is just a scanned copy of layout).

cthoaa

HBO is on its way to posting its best boxing year ever, breaking its previous PPV sales and revenue records...

HBO Rings In Its '08 Fight Plan

Taffet believes that the revenue and buy results for both of those events should easily make 2007 the most lucrative and successful year for the network within the category. HBO has already drawn 3.6 million PPV boxing buys and $193.2 million in revenue, just short of the 1999 record of 4 million buys and $200 million in revenue. Much of that take was from the record-setting May 5 Oscar De La Hoya-Floyd Mayweather, which drew 2.15 million buys and $120 million in revenue.

“Provided everything remains in place, we will easily surpass our record,” he said.

...and Showtime couldn't even be bothered to re-package its PPV countdown show which aired again this weekend. (Notice the date.) C'mon!

ebasf9.jpg

Vargas-Mayorga: Countdown to the Brawl (YouTube)

Countdown... Part 1
Countdown... Part 2
Countdown... Part 3
Countdown... Part 4
Countdown... Part 5

This weekend, the networks go head-to-head again w/ Calzaghe-Kessler main eventing on HBO and JMM-Juarez + Guerrero-Honorio on Showtime.

Tom_Cody

Wow, there are some great fights upcoming.

Does anyone know what's happening to Nate Campbell? I have been a fan of him forever and he seems to have passed by completely in the lightweight division. Hopefully he'll be able to get a title fight soon.

cthoaa

I kinda like Campbell, too, but he's really, really messed up. He was pretty much the #1 contender to the champs and was going to fight on the undercard of Diazx2 however many weeks ago and then face the winner for the championship, but he got pulled from the card for speculative reasons and now he's likely going to jail for assault and imprisonment.

Campbell facing felony charges

Police say the Tampa lightweight beat an ex-girlfriend. A life sentence is possible.

TAMPA - Local boxing promoter Terry Trekas sent an e-mail last week saying he was pulling Nate Campbell out of an upcoming fight in Chicago because the opponent was having visa problems and his fighter had an injured rib.

The real reason probably has something to do with this: Campbell has been sitting in Hillsborough County's Orient Road jail since he was charged Sept. 27 with forcing himself into his ex-girlfriend's home and beating her up, according to records.

The Hillsborough Sheriff's Office arrested Campbell on felony charges of armed burglary of a dwelling with assault, false imprisonment and tampering with a witness. The charges could carry a life sentence. He also faces a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence battery.

Campbell appeared in court Sept. 28, and court records show the judge had concerns about the fighter's mental health.

Trekas on Tuesday described the incident as a minor fight over money. The deputy's report paints a more harrowing picture:

At 9 a.m. on Sept. 27, Campbell punched the victim, whose name was not in the report, in the face as she entered her home, then forced his way in and continued to batter her.

She tried to call 911, but Campbell grabbed the phone and threw it. He then threw the victim to the ground and began strangling her.

She kicked herself free and Campbell pulled out a black handgun and put it in his mouth, threatening to kill himself. The victim got the gun away, but was pushed into the kitchen counter and to the floor, where Campbell slammed her head into the floor.

The victim had a contusion to her right eye, and abrasions to her neck and elbows, reports state.
Crazy stuff. The judge's concerns about his mental health show some compassion. On the surface, his actions kinda sound like Bowe's when he kidnapped his family, though unfortunately more violent.

cthoaa

Unedited versions of both "Contender" semifinals, including Soliman and Bika's rematch of their 2002 encounter, have been posted to ESPN's video section.

The Contender Uncut: Codrington vs Johnsen (ESPN Video)
The Contender Uncut: Soliman vs Bika (ESPN Video)

Finals are Tuesday.

61j6e5z.jpg
6ba6qs7.jpg

Also, maybe as a portent of things to come (with both Cotto and Hatton in upcoming fights and all), ESPN has been doing specials on body blows.

There's an article on "The 10 best KO's via a body blow", an accompanying "ZOOM" gallery, and a spotlight on Micky Ward.

DarienA

The finals are Codrington's to lose IMO. He's been much more accurate than Bika in his fights and his power has been on display. Bika has to get away from throwing that out of range uppercut (which he only threw a few times against Sam, but threw alot of times in his previous fight). Jaidon's only question mark for me is his chin. It hasn't been tested in the Contender yet and Bika's has in the contender and in his professional career.

cthoaa

Just from a human interest standpoint, I hope Codrington wins. The timing of his Dad's death was unfortunate and I hope that his choosing to stay on the show works out to the best. Nothing against Bika, but because of where they are in their careers, I don't think that him winning Contender would do or mean as much as a Codrington win would.

I definitely take what you've said about Jaidon's chin, though. On top of putting in less rounds in the competition, he did it against lesser opponents and is taking the bigger step up for this final.

cthoaa

The Ring updated their ratings for the week.

Alexander Povetkin bumped Chris Byrd for the tenth spot on the heavyweight list following his TKO victory over Byrd in the first round of the IBF heavyweight tournament.

Canada's Steve Molitor moved up in the jr. featherweight ranks on the strength of his unanimous decision over Fashang 3K Battery.

The Ring's Heavyweight Ratings for period ending October 29

1. Wladimir Klitschko UKR 49-3 (44)
2. Samuel Peter NGR 29-1 (22)
3. Oleg Maskaev RUS 34-5 (26)
4. Ruslan Chagaev UZB 23-0-1 (17)
5. Nicolay Valuev RUS 47-1 (34)
6. Sultan Ibragimov RUS 22-0-1 (17)
7. Sergei Liakhovich BLR 23-2 (14)
8. Vladimir Virchis UKR 23-1 (19)
9. Tony Thompson USA 30-1 (18)
10. Alexander Povetkin RUS 14-0 (11)

The Ring's Junior Featherweight Ratings for period ending October 29

C. Israel Vazquez MEX 42-4 (31)
1. Rafael Marquez MEX 37-4 (33)
2. Celestino Caballero PAN 27-2 (18)
3. Daniel Ponce de Leon MEX 33-1 (30)
4. Steve Molitor CAN 25-0 (10)
5. Somsak Sithchatchawal THA 53-2-1 (43)
6. Sergio Manuel Medina ARG 29-1 (17)
7. Takalani Ndlovu RSA 27-4 (17)
8. Poonsawat Kratingaenggym THA 30-1 (20)
9. Kiko Martinez ESP 17-0 (14)
10. Rey Bautista PHI 23-1 (18)

The other half of the IBF heavyweight tournament is settled tonight as Calvin Brock and Eddie Chambers main event ShoBox. Winner gets Povetkin. Winner of that gets the title shot vs. Kiltschko.

cthoaa

4qi73p3.jpg
5xe3vqo.jpg

Calzaghe vs Kessler - weigh-in footage (YouTube)
Calzaghe vs Kessler - press reaction (YouTube)

Video from today's weigh-in. Kessler came in over, but stripped to make 168. Calzaghe was 167.5.

Of the eight media members polled in the vid (mind it was conducted by FW.tv), seven chose Joe to win. The lone dissent: Harold Lederman (above - i swear this is the first time I've seen his face), who jokingly suggested the fight would end in a draw and that the world would turn to him for his opinion.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
cthoaa said:
Some stuff from this weekend:

l_54a24de2ea8060ce7be53156cec16092.gif

Is there any video or gif that shows the mistake Alejandro Berrio made that got him in this position? I find it more interesting to understand how the opening was created rather than only getting to see the knockout punches.

cthoaa

MrSardonic said:
Is there any video or gif that shows the mistake Alejandro Berrio made that got him in this position? I find it more interesting to understand how the opening was created rather than only getting to see the knockout punches.

Here's Round 11 on YouTube.

For much of the fight, Lucian Bute was backing up, happy to box vs. a very aggressive, free-swinging (but slow) Alejandro Berrio. In one exchange in the eleventh, Berrio got caught w/ a huge counter. His legs were gone and he backed into the ropes, eventually sliding to the corner under Bute's pressure. Instead of clinching or covering up, Berrio was timidly returning fire. (He had fallen behind on the cards by this point, w/ the fight pretty much slipping away.) In the gif, the first big left from Bute came over a very soft Berrio right.

Tonight is a prime example of why I can't stand Frank Warren.

I've been following Joe since before he won the title off of Chris Eubank.

Tonight is the first fight he's had that I am not going to be able to see.

Why would Warren totally shout out a large amount of Calzaghe fans that simply can't get access to Setanta in the eraly hours of the morning? I hoped I'd be able to get something, but the only person I know that has Setanta is busy doin somethin with his missus. And it's a pretty big ask to intrude in the early hours of the mornin.

Fuck you Frank Warren.

You should have waited until after this fight.

AkaBalla

Will be watching Joe and Kessler tonight...

I believe Joe is going to be KOed!

That coming from a Peter Manfredo fan.. If anyone saw Joe's bout vs him knows darn well that was a premature stoppage.. He didnt even connect with that flurry...

Oh well thats over with nothing we can do about it...

Enjoy the fight ladies and gentleman..

I was lucky and managed to get a mate who had Setanta at the Zero Hour.

What a great fight!

Anyone that says that Joe can't take a punch must surely accept that he has a chin after the fight tonight.

I think that regardless of what he says that Joe understimated Kessler, and he was hurt in round 4, he had to get behind his jab and regroup.

But the thing that always gets me about Calzaghe is that his punching speed simply does not relent over the whole 12 rounds - he is a seriously fit bastard!

To be honest during round 4 I thought that Kessler was gonna go on and win the fight, but you can never write Joe off.

One thing I have to say as an observation is that after the fight you would not even notice that Joe had been fighting, whereas Kessler had a serious fat eye and cut - I don't know how Joe manages to come out of fights unscathed like that, especially like afer tonight where he got clocked with a fe serious blows.

Personally I think this was a better performance all round from Joe than even the Lacey fight - Kessler was a hard proposition, and I loved how he came out in the 12th and just seriously went for it trying to land the haymaker! Serious respect.

DarienA

Impressive fight by Joe tonight, Kessler simply couldn't deal with Joe's handspeed, and couldn't land nearly enough power punches to do damage.

I'd be interest in seeing how against Chad Dawson, but I don't think Joe would take that fight because Chad doesn't have the drawing power. Joe/Bernard? Please what a snoozefest, Bernard would dance around the ring all night.

Joe/Bernard? Please what a snoozefest, Bernard would dance around the ring all night.

Tell me about it. Another reason why I hate Frank Warren - there were fights 5 years ago ready to be signed between Joe and Roy Jones AND Bernard Hopkins, and Frank voided them becaus of money.

A total cock.

I was so hoping to see Joe punch Frank Warren in the face after the fight and accuse him of being the reason why he has got no respect from the American's.

Would have been the coolest thing ever.

Alas.

Oh, and anyone that wants to argue, the only Super Middleweight that would have beaten Joe P4P at the top of their respective games would have been RJJ.

Yup, Calzaghe at his best is better than Eubank, Collins, Benn the lot.

PS - I'm not counting Leonard or Hearns in this as I don't count them as Super Middlemeights.

Top Bottom