• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Honestly, a Lair stage could have been awesome.

You'd be fighting on the rooftops of some Asylian palace, with dragons flying around in the background, battling with one another.

About halfway through the battle, explosions begin to rock the background, and suddenly a fleet of Warhawks (or Starhawks) come screeching into the area, blasting away at the dragons. One of the dragons gets knocked to shit by a rocket, and comes careening towards the screen, where it crashes into the rooftops that the players are fighting on.

The players fall into the building below, where Asylian soldiers start engaging with Eucadian or Chernovan soldiers, while the players are waging their own battle in the foreground, and the dragons and warhawks are still fighting up above.

And whoever said Folklore was a terrible game: I think I may have to fight you.

Izick

The ultimate question:

What about Solid Snake?

He's not part of an exclusive Sony IP, but MGS was such an integral part of the PS consoles, that I find it hard to believe he shouldn't be a part of this.

Zen

Banned
I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but this quote from the new Penny-Arcade just made me laugh so damned hard.

Hush Tycho, Sony is casting a large net just like every developer should for this type of game. He's probably going to be prissy when they don't put in enough of his favorite obscure characters. Hypocritically enough.

Seeing fat princess in the game and seeing her skillset for the game has gotten me so fucking hyped for this. I fucking loved fat princess, I will always choose her, and always feed her cake when she hungry :)
Woot! Glad to see some more people excited about Fat Princess instead of claiming she doesn't belong here. Such an amazingly fun game!

KillGore

The ultimate question:

What about Solid Snake?

He's not part of an exclusive Sony IP, but MGS was such an integral part of the PS consoles, that I find it hard to believe he shouldn't be a part of this.

An MGS character will definitely be there (IMO). Not 100% that it will be Solid Snake but maybe Big Boss? The Boss? Raiden? Liquid? Solidus? Heck, I would love for Psycho Mantis or Screaming Mantis to be there

Izick

An MGS character will definitely be there (IMO). Not 100% that it will be Solid Snake but maybe Big Boss? The Boss? Raiden? Liquid? Solidus? Heck, I would love for Psycho Mantis or Screaming Mantis to be there

It has to be Snake though, he's the face of the franchise. I'm guessing it's Old Snake with a regular Snake skin as a secondary skin.

KillGore

It has to be Snake though, he's the face of the franchise. I'm guessing it's Old Snake with a regular Snake skin as a secondary skin.

I thought so too, but they didn't use Sev (or Rico) for representing Killzone, instead they went for Radec, the antagonist, so I don't see why they can't pick someone who is not the main character for MGS. Also, Raiden has starred in one of the games and will be starring in the latest one, so I don't think using cyborg ninja Raiden would be such a bad idea.

cyborg009

Banned
If they go with One Winged Angel then Sephiroth needs to be the final boss (which would actually be quite awesome). Unveil him at E3 with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MW65XxS7s

People would lose their shit the second that theme hit.

I can see it now

Sephiroth_Sackboy.jpg

Izick

I thought so too, but they didn't use Sev for representing Killzone, instead they went for Radec, the antagonist, so I don't see why they can't pick someone who is not the main character for MGS. Also, Raiden has starred in one of the games and will be starring in the latest one, so I don't think using cyborg ninja Raiden would be such a bad idea.

I think that's a bit different though. What do most people think of when they hear Killzone? Likely the red-eyed guy with the mask and helmet on the cover, the Helghast to some. I feel like they're doing that because that's what people know, and it makes for a more interesting character design.

Everyone who knows about MGS automatically think of Snake. He's synonymous with the series, and forever tied to it. I do like the idea of seeing Cyborg Raiden though, that would make for a great character.

Level 3 super mind controlling one unfortunate player and then using that character to KO others, and add a bit of risk/reward in that if you give yourself enough time before your super runs out you can self-detonate your controlled victim.

KillGore

I think that's a bit different though. What do most people think of when they hear Killzone? Likely the red-eyed guy with the mask and helmet on the cover, the Helghast to some. I feel like they're doing that because that's what people know, and it makes for a more interesting character design.

Everyone who knows about MGS automatically think of Snake. He's synonymous with the series, and forever tied to it. I do like the idea of seeing Cyborg Raiden though, that would make for a great character.

Does Nintendo have the rights to use young Snake on a fighting game? is such a thing possible? I really don't want to see Old Snake tbh, I prefer seeing Big Boss (since he looks just like Snake but is technically another character)

Izick

Does Nintendo have the rights to use young Snake on a fighting game? is such a thing possible? I really don't want to see Old Snake tbh, I prefer seeing Big Boss (since he looks just like Snake but is technically another character)

I have no idea honestly, I was just saying Old Snake because that differentiates them from SSB and since he was the face of MGS 4. Honestly, I would rather see MGS 2 styled Snake as well. Maybe we could get a head camo gimmick even? I guess young Big Boss could work as well.

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but this quote from the new Penny-Arcade just made me laugh so damned hard.

The accompanying comic is a bit uncalled for. Do they live in a world where Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone, Rachet & Clank and Jak & Daxter don't exist? Because they're all hefty sellers.

I dunno, maybe I'm taking it too seriously.

SmithnCo

The accompanying comic is a bit uncalled for. Do they live in a world where Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone, Rachet & Clank and Jak & Daxter don't exist? Because they're all hefty sellers.

Yeah... The comic doesn't make much sense.

I'd love to see some Folklore representation (Ellen could summon Folks) but I'd be surprised if we do, considering that franchise is no more, and was never particularly supported very well when it released

prwxv3

I know some of are are against it but having old snake could be amazing. him throwing out his back, getting sick, ect would be glorious.

prwxv3

There seems to be a pretty huge generalization that Sony has no Characters anyone really loves or knows well. I try to ignore it most of the time but when someone says that Kratos, Ratchet, or Jak & Daxter are not loved or known well withen the playstation community it really bugs me.

With this as his super move. By the time it's finished, the timer will reach zero :p

Until 5min ago I didn't knew that this animation was only added in the ww release. The original jp attack animation is much shorter and makes much more sense.
I mean it's fun, but it hindsight kind of a stupid thing to add as it conflicts with the setting etc.

There seems to be a pretty huge generalization that Sony has no Characters anyone really loves or knows well. I try to ignore it most of the time but when someone says that Kratos, Ratchet, or Jak & Daxter are not loved or known well withen the playstation community it really bugs me.

Exactly. There seems to be this refusal in some people's minds that Sony brands contain any semblance of soul or significance. I owned a SNES and Mega Drive years before a Playstation, yet no amount of Mario games can fill me with the same kind of nostalgia like simply hearing PaRappa shout "You gotta believe!" Mario far outweighs PaRappa in the popularity stakes, but that doesn't mean there are folks out there who don't hold him dear to their heart.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Huh...I just saw the video for the first time. It looks pretty cool, but the guy describing it is trying really hard to make it sound like some kind of original and novel concept.

prwxv3

Exactly. There seems to be this refusal in some people's minds that Sony brands contain any semblance of soul or significance. I owned a SNES and Mega Drive years before a Playstation, yet no amount of Mario games can fill me with the same kind of nostalgia like simply hearing PaRappa shout "You gotta believe!" Mario far outweighs PaRappa in the popularity stakes, but that doesn't mean there are folks out there who don't hold him dear to their heart.

I agree just because they are not as popular as Nintendo's characters does not mean that they should not be in a crossover fighting game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Someone else mentioned that I would be amazing if they included Ethan Mars in some form and he screams Jason

Even better, there was a random PS background (lets say a Loco Roco scene) and then Ethan comes out from the hills screaming JASON!

This has to happen now.

Zee-Row

Banned
Could be Sony's Marth and Roy equivalent!
572645_11082_front.jpg

Since Sony owns the IP , Could be Sony's version of Link
163alundra003pluws.jpg

Also put him in it since hes cool!
waacf-rudy2.jpg

Bad news guys :( Maj replied to me on his site:

"It’s funny, i had the same knee-jerk reaction when i heard that for the first time, like “There’s no way it can work with only supers scoring KOs!”

Coming from a Street Fighter background where it’s all about the lifebar, it’s hard to imagine anything different being successful. Even Smash sticks to that formula of tracking damage.

But it took less than 10 minutes of actually playing Battle Royale to completely change my mind. It’s really fun to play, it’s extremely intuitive, it’s very tactical, and it’s totally engaging.

We’re obviously not making Street Fighter, but trust me, it doesn’t feel limiting. I’ve been playing the game for eight months now and it hasn’t stopped feeling rewarding.

That said, it’s still way too early to talk about what isn’t in the game. There’s still a fair amount of time between now and the day it ships. Omar and Paul aren’t afraid of taking design risks, so i’m sure we’ll continue throwing around ideas to improve PSASBR every day until it’s in your hands.

Everything can always be better and we still have a lot of work to do, but i gotta say, the game is pretty damn solid right now. (And i’m not bragging because i can’t take credit for it.)"

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=7000#comments

While I totally respect the guy and it does relieve me that he's saying it hasn't stopped feeling rewarding, I guess I'll just have to stop being closed minded and wait till I can play it for myself. I'm still definitely on board, I just wish there were other ways of KOing outside of supers.

If they go with One Winged Angel then Sephiroth needs to be the final boss (which would actually be quite awesome). Unveil him at E3 with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MW65XxS7s

People would lose their shit the second that theme hit.
People would. I dunno how they'd do it. Maybe start with a one-on-one; Kratos versus Drake initially. Expected characters but cool to see.

Then have a third character join to this music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd3zMu707XU&feature=related

Then Sephiroth come in to his theme and fuck everyone's shit up'

Do this all on a SotC stage

That's how you build hype for this game

ReaperXL7

Someone else mentioned that I would be amazing if they included Ethan Mars in some form and he screams Jason

I could be wrong, but somehow....I really don't think that David Cage would be all too happy for Sony to put characters from his games into a game like this, he takes them very seriously.

It would be funny though I agree, I'd also be curious what kind of "Fighting" style characters from heavy rain could even have.

RedBoot

I don't think Heavy Rain lends itself to characters, but why not a stage? You could probably do something with the ARI interface that the one guy uses.

Not sure on the mash-up, though. I guess you could always toss a few Ape Escape monkeys in there.

I'm hoping for some Wild ARMs representation myself. Particularly characters, but if not that, then a stage or definitely some music would be nice.

People would. I dunno how they'd do it. Maybe start with a one-on-one; Kratos versus Drake initially. Expected characters but cool to see.

Then have a third character join to this music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd3zMu707XU&feature=related

Then Sephiroth come in to his theme and fuck everyone's shit up'

Do this all on a SotC stage

That's how you build hype for this game

They need to figure out how to implement Sephiroth's Super Nova as a Level 3 attack. Have his music hit followed by the Super Nova. It obviously wouldn't be as long as the FF7 version, but the game does appear to pause when some characters activate their Level 3 Super attacks. So they'd have time to include a faster version of it.

SmithnCo

I could be wrong, but somehow....I really don't think that David Cage would be all too happy for Sony to put characters from his games into a game like this, he takes them very seriously.

It would be funny though I agree, I'd also be curious what kind of "Fighting" style characters from heavy rain could even have.

Maybe we'll get a stage... But a fighter would be pretty weird, lol.

reKon

Banned
I pray the gameplay ends up being fun for me and balanced enough. Can't believe they're actually making this, lol..

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wouldn't mind Madison fighting. She'll run over the characters with her motorcycle.

Ploid 3.0

How funny would it be if Square threw them Aerith instead? They most likely will never use her again, and there's no risk in screwing up her character.

200px-Aerith_Gainsborough_art.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom