• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase17

Just when I start to think that Kuroko is fairly grounded for a basketball anime.

I mean our protag has some crazy passing skills but it's not that

OH WAIT
now we have full court shots being comfortably drained while being guarded.

I wonder if it was just a translation thing, but the subs mentioned the NBA. Is this a alternate universe where everyone in the nba is from japan and is a god at basketball. Is this a modern setting and Lebron James exists in the Kuroko universe. I hope that the anime answers these questions.

I'd say that SAO is a better series than jojo parts 1/2.

jojo-kars-laugh.gif

Part 1, maybe. But Part 2??

Oh wow.

why not, it's a good series with a large fan base set in an rpg that allows for a cheap easish to make run of games.

it just got big enough where it's cool to hate on it and plenty of people do.

you can turn pretty much anything into the worst thing ever if you get enough people motivated to nit pick every little detail often blowing up little flaws into huge things that barely represent the original show at all :p

i mean, you can also characterize anything as good if you're that willing to be so reductive about any and all criticism?

munchie64

The funniest part about SAO is that all the games are completely horrible from most conceivable game design perspectives and no one would play them.

zulux21

The funniest part about SAO is that all the games are completely horrible from most conceivable game design perspectives and no one would play them.

idk plenty of people played the order just because it was pretty. SAO would no doubt be the same. it's the first true full VR experience in that world. even with medicore game design people would be lining up and paying tons to play it.

beyond that... the light novel version of the game is decently different from the anime version.

it's one of the major differences I have seen reading the light novels that a lot of the issues with the game in the anime aren't present in the original story at all.

munchie64

idk plenty of people played the order just because it was pretty. SAO would no doubt be the same. it's the first true full VR experience in that world. even with medicore game design people would be lining up and paying tons to play it.

beyond that... the light novel version of the game is decently different from the anime version.

it's one of the major differences I have seen reading the light novels that a lot of the issues with the game in the anime aren't present in the original story at all.
Very true, but by the time two more bad games get introduced, it gets ridiculous.

zulux21

Very true, but by the time two more bad games get introduced, it gets ridiculous.

hmmm a large scale fantasy world that you can have the legitimate sensation of flying in... yeah no one would want to play that.

and a hardcore shooter where your actual skills matter. can't imagine anyone playing that either. (I mean I wouldn't play it, but if it's the only shooter on the market at the time plenty of people would)

I mean you can take issues with the games all you want, but if such tech existed and such games existed they would no doubt be large sellers.

I mean VR had a decent amount of hype around it when it came out last year... actual full VR where things felt lifelike and you could control everything with your mind and feel everything releasing 5 years from now would no doubt have huge amounts of hype around it if everything actually worked as advertised visual and input wise.

cntr

Banned
I get where you're coming from, but in a world where VR tech was so mature, SAO would just be one out of many. Unless it's the only game of its kind, people would go for other stuff. (Unless there's a marketing push or just plain luck or if it was one of the early ones, or whatever.)

the future version of GAF would probably spend a lot of time arguing about it, lol

zulux21

I get where you're coming from, but in a world where VR tech was so mature, SAO would just be one out of many. Unless it's the only game of its kind, people would go for other stuff. (Unless there's a marketing push or just plain luck or if it was one of the early ones, or whatever.)

the future version of GAF would probably spend a lot of time arguing about it, lol
well yeah... the odds of a small company coming out of no where and effectively jumping VR tech from where it is now to where you would expect it to be in 4-5 generations of VR tech is pretty much zero lol.

but if such a thing did happen no doubt everyone would want to play that game that is generations beyond what we have now.

munchie64

hmmm a large scale fantasy world that you can have the legitimate sensation of flying in... yeah no one would want to play that.

and a hardcore shooter where your actual skills matter. can't imagine anyone playing that either. (I mean I wouldn't play it, but if it's the only shooter on the market at the time plenty of people would)

I mean you can take issues with the games all you want, but if such tech existed and such games existed they would no doubt be large sellers.

I mean VR had a decent amount of hype around it when it came out last year... actual full VR where things felt lifelike and you could control everything with your mind and feel everything releasing 5 years from now would no doubt have huge amounts of hype around it if everything actually worked as advertised visual and input wise.
Technology would give the games a head start certainly, but you can't convince me any serious shooter fan wouldn't drop such a broken game in less than a month with the bullshit stats, classes, hit ratios and the fact a sword can somehow block incoming bullets. It all comes down to the big question of "why"? Why not make the games appear to be good at least? Because the writers don't care. And if they don't even care about the kind of fanservice to gamers that would appeal the show to them then they probably don't care about much else.

On a slightly related note, I'm not sure how it is in the books, but just keeping it in the realm of the anime SAO selling only 10 000 copies would make it one of the biggest bombs in history.

I dunno what moment in SAO was better written, when the plot said a girl is not a trophy to be won and the made the female lead a trophy to be won a few episodes later (and again in the second arc), when the main character is able to will himself back from the dead and beat the bad guy for no previously established reason (when the series had introduced a resurrection item earlier in the series and never brought it up again), or when the bad guy forgot why he trapped 10,000 people in a death game (and then was made out to be a saint by kirito in the second half). I'm sure there is more but I'll stop there.

You can prefer SAO and can make the statement it has much better animation then JJ p1/2 since thats factually correct. You could even argue that SAO has a better sound track (I wouldn't) or better voice acting (would agree with the dub). You're gonna have a hard time arguing SAO is better written then a whole lot of anime series, not just JoJo. Having a good premise is step one of writing only and thats where SAO stopped.

Edit: the 10,000 copies thing IS explained in the first episode, it was intentionally a limited launch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
or the moment where we got a bad-ass female who is awesome at a mmo all about guns but is then deadly afraid of fingers in the shape of a gun

& then is forced against her will to see the people associated with the moment when she shot a guy to death

& then kirito gets an idea because he stared at her ass, an idea that is completely & utterly unrelated to said ass to the point kirito's va makes a joke about this in the bloopers

ckohler

Don't forget that thousands of people died wearing Nerve Gear and there was virtually no backlash from society. Even the people who survived couldn't wait to jump back in even though they were trapped in that death game for TWO YEARS.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
About to be off work for an entire week. What to do...
Catch up on anime &/or video games. An entire week sounds rather relaxing.

I finally get a night off this weekend (Friday into Saturday), the first time I've been able to take a day off work ever since I started back in Aug. 2015. It'll be nice having a 3-day weekend for once.

Probably just gonna focus on Ratchet & Clank and/or Ace Attorney 6. Plus I gotta swap HDDs on my PS4 once my 2TB arrives Friday.

Don't forget that thousands of people died wearing Nerve Gear and there was virtually no backlash from society. Even the people who survived couldn't wait to jump back in even though they were trapped in that death game for TWO YEARS.
SPEAKING OF SAO & TWO YEARS.......

Again to be fair the 2 years worth of glopping is only from a bonus chapter that is online only and not in the officially released books or anime. Everything else about the episode is there though which you can freely criticize for being written by an 8th grader.

Grexeno

why not, it's a good series with a large fan base set in an rpg that allows for a cheap easish to make run of games.

you can turn pretty much anything into the worst thing ever if you get enough people motivated to nit pick every little detail often blowing up little flaws into huge things that barely represent the original show at all :p

aEvUVgC.gif

munchie64

Edit: the 10,000 copies thing IS explained in the first episode, it was intentionally a limited launch.
Which is even worse in my mind. But I agree, the stuff you say in your post is way worse than the dumb game stuff. If the rest of the show was good I could probably even ignore it.

Which is even worse in my mind. But I agree, the stuff you say in your post is way worse than the dumb game stuff. If the rest of the show was good I could probably even ignore it.

I mean I could speculate that the limited 10,000 in universe to the public was explained as to make sure the servers didn't implode day 1. The real reason could be that the bad guy only wanted the crazy hard core fans to get in who'd have the best chance to beat his twisted game. Somehow 5 year olds got into the limited 10,000 launch but thats neither here nor there.

Regiruler

I honestly didn't find the arguements all that convincing. Sure, I understood them, but it doesn't feel strong enough that I could point others to it and feel confident about it.

Crocodile

Super AIDS

Shit, I legit forgot that was a thing >_<

I like the second jojo better than I like kirito... but in general I found SAO more entertaining than the second part of Jojo.

keep in mind, I am not saying jojo's second part is bad (the first part is debatable lol) it greatly improved on the first part and made me interested in continuing jojo in general. but quite frankly I just really enjoyed SAO.

7e949eac36ec0da77ac93e65419dcca3.gif

Snark aside, I mean you do you I guess and different opinions and all that I guess but this is not a position that will stand to much if any scrutiny (SAO being better written, accomplishing the goals it set out, etc.).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Or just don't name the disease, say its a condition she was born with

YES! There were so many other options to take, but they had to go with an STD to keep up the "bad sexual things happen to our heroines in this series" thing going.

EDIT: Guys, the Fuuka anime starts this week. You should watch it and give me, I mean us, your reactions. I promise it'll be worth it.

zulux21

so I slept on it, and I think jojo part 2 alone would be higher than SAO for me.

but jojo part 1 drags it down enough that the first series of jojo as a whole is just a bit below SAO for me.

Mizerman

YES! There were so many other options to take, but they had to go with an STD to keep up the "bad sexual things happen to our heroines in this series" thing going.

EDIT: Guys, the Fuuka anime starts this week. You should watch it and give me, I mean us, your reactions. I promise it'll be worth it.

Oh no. I already heard about Seo Kouji's works and my blood pressure can't handle it.

zulux21

No no, this one is good. I promise.
*fingers crossed*
Just watch the first episode before you make up your mind.

but it's a
sequel to a mediocre show :/

I mean he could have at least tried to make suzuka likable lol.

People are telling me Fuuka has some big twist, but the trailer for the anime makes it look like it was pumped out by a machine.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
People are telling me Fuuka has some big twist, but the trailer for the anime makes it look like it was pumped out by a machine.

Twist? What? No! I mean, you could watch it and tell us if there is one if you like.

EDIT: Seriously though, if you enjoy
fuckery then it's definitely worth a watch because there will be copious amounts of it on an amazing level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom