• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Tabris
Banned
(01-24-2016, 07:28 PM)
I go through these at least once a month. I definitely recommend everyone listen to them. What are your favourite motivational speeches or if you have a playlist like mine.

Here is my ultimate motivational / get psyched playlist:

Any Given Sunday Speech - This is how I stay competitive.

Rocky Balboa Speech - This is what I use when I'm discouraged.

Facing the Giants - This is what I use when I have a daunting task in front of me.

The Dictator Speech - This is how I stay positive.

Coach Carter - This is how I ensure I shine instead of playing small.

Eric Thomas - This is how I ensure I keep working hard for the things I want in life.
Jarrod38
(01-24-2016, 07:29 PM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj16vfbsM9A
Tabris
Banned
(01-24-2016, 07:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Jarrod38

You use that for motivation? You can relate to that?

It's an amazing movie speech but not sure how you can relate to a speech about fighting against aliens.
adj_noun
(01-24-2016, 07:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Jarrod38

For those who can't click: It's the Independence Day presidential speech.
Rudelord
(01-24-2016, 07:31 PM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
velociraptor
(01-24-2016, 07:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Tabris

I go through these at least once a month. I definitely recommend everyone listen to them. What are your favourite motivational speeches or if you have a playlist like mine.

Here is my ultimate motivational / get psyched playlist:

Any Given Sunday Speech - This is how I stay competitive.

Rocky Balboa Speech - This is what I use when I'm discouraged.

Facing the Giants - This is what I use when I have a daunting task in front of me.

The Dictator Speech - This is how I stay positive.

Coach Carter - This is how I ensure I shine instead of playing small.

Eric Thomas - This is how I ensure I keep working hard for the things I want in life.

I've been procrastinating from my work. Thanks for this. The Facing the Giants one really helped.
Tabris
Banned
(01-24-2016, 07:48 PM)

Originally Posted by velociraptor

I've been procrastinating from my work. Thanks for this. The Facing the Giants one really helped.

That's awesome! That's the power of these speeches, lets you get over mental barriers.
MMarston
Was getting caught part of your plan?
(01-24-2016, 07:50 PM)
Pale Blue Dot - This keeps things in perspective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl5dlbCh8lY
velociraptor
(01-24-2016, 10:17 PM)

That's awesome! That's the power of these speeches, lets you get over mental barriers.

Yep, did more studying in the past 3 hours than I did in the entire day. :)

Will watch tomorrow if I start slacking again haha.
Loxley
(01-24-2016, 10:19 PM)
How Bad Do You Want It?

^^ Always been one of my favorites.
Minus_Me
(01-24-2016, 10:23 PM)
Patton Opening Monologue
Team Alucard
Banned
(01-24-2016, 10:23 PM)
HarryKS
(01-24-2016, 10:24 PM)
Tabris
Banned
(01-26-2016, 06:07 AM)
This thread didn't get enough traction. You guys need to motivate yourselves more! Post your playlists!
MVP
Banned
(01-26-2016, 06:32 AM)
There's a ton of them, but since Gary Vaynerchuk hasn't been mentioned, I'll throw him in. He's really not a motivational speaker, he just speaks the truth.

Gary Vaynerchuk - College Rant

Gary Vaynerchuk - The Most Important Word Ever

Gary Vaynerchuk - Overnight Success

Entrepreneurship Keynote at USC - "...somewhere around 4th grade when I got an F on a science test, I literally, like, that day, was like 'Yeah, that makes sense to me, because I don't give a FUCK about Saturn'"
Strangelove77
(01-26-2016, 06:36 AM)
http://youtu.be/Q4PE2hSqVnk

Always be closing
MrChom
(01-26-2016, 06:41 AM)
While I appreciate a well written speech in a movie, or a drama I'm not sure I've ever actually used one to inspire myself outside of that, certainly not enough to need a playlist.

If I need motivating I just grab myself a cup of tea, as cliche as that is for a Brit, and allow that small moment of quiet and stillness to push me forwards. Or if I'm in a group and I need picking up there's nothing like a good bit of gallows humour to really make things far less bad than they might otherwise seem.
NotTheGuyYouKill
(01-26-2016, 06:42 AM)
When I need motivation, I just remember the time I nearly died and the existential crisis that followed in the aftermath. I'm not joking.
Tabris
Banned
(01-26-2016, 06:45 AM)

Originally Posted by MrChom

If I need motivating I just grab myself a cup of tea, as cliche as that is for a Brit, and allow that small moment of quiet and stillness to push me forwards. Or if I'm in a group and I need picking up there's nothing like a good bit of gallows humour to really make things far less bad than they might otherwise seem.

You get psyched via relaxation and meditation? That's odd.
lastplayed
(01-26-2016, 06:47 AM)
Inspiring speeches are cool, but I've never been "motivated" by one. I might have been motivated by Churchill's many speeches during the war, kinda hard to say without being in that situation.

But when it comes to work, or housework or life goals, music usually gets me by.
NotTheGuyYouKill
(01-26-2016, 06:47 AM)

As opposed to watching fictional pep talks about contextually unrelated situations in order to psyche yourself up?
Tabris
Banned
(01-26-2016, 06:49 AM)

Originally Posted by NotTheGuyYouKill

As opposed to watching fictional pep talks about contextually unrelated situations in order to psyche yourself up?

It's all relatable. Whether competing in sports, business, life - that first speech applies.

The rest are pretty generic.
NotTheGuyYouKill
(01-26-2016, 06:50 AM)

It's all relatable. Whether competing in sports, business, life - that first speech applies.

The rest are pretty generic.

I'm just saying that his way of psyching himself up is just as valid as yours. In fact, his is less odd than yours to me because most people I know do his method, not yours.
Tabris
Banned
(01-26-2016, 06:51 AM)

Originally Posted by NotTheGuyYouKill

I'm just saying that his way of psyching himself up is just as valid as yours. In fact, his is less odd than yours to me because most people I know do his method, not yours.

That's like taking a downer when you want to get amped up. Or turning down the volume when you can't hear. Or any number of analogies.
El Jaffe
(01-26-2016, 07:10 AM)
Sam's speech in The Two Towers
Always makes me feel good. Probably not what your looking for and a bit nerdy but it does motivate me when I'm going through gloomy times.
MrChom
(01-26-2016, 01:49 PM)

I find that taking a moment to breathe is far more helpful than building myself up. If I do that kind of stuff it usually leads to things like me expressing ideas badly because I'm rushing, or making stupid mistakes.
Newline
(01-26-2016, 02:14 PM)

That's like taking a downer when you want to get amped up. Or turning down the volume when you can't hear. Or any number of analogies.

How can you not get that if you're an individual with a calm and organized mind and have been in a situation thats interefered with your mental state, taking steps to calm yourself will focus and energize you.

The only analogy I can think of that makes sense is that some people are like batteries that need charging up while others are like engines that need cooling down.
Last edited by Newline; 01-26-2016 at 02:16 PM.