• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So when did you first hear about E3

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The Sega Saturn announcement in 95 reading GAMEPRO...holy shit that was the first E3....me and my friends were talking about that on the playground lol

emag

I remember when the NES was shown at CES (1985), a decade before E3 even existed. ;)

Jan85CES1.jpg

Jan85CES3.jpg

Bonus (CES Summer 1991):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwlvYWflbXY

SuomiDude

I think since it started. I used to read a Finnish gaming magazine called Nintendo-Lehti (Nintendo-Magazine), and they had news articles about all gaming expos, E3 being one of them. Didn't really know much else about it other than it being a big event, but yeah, I think since the beginning of the event back in 1995.

Palom

I used to follow CES reports in magazines before E3 came into existence. I definitely remember reading about the first E3 in 1995 because I was so hyped for the PS1, and also the backlash Sega's surprise Saturn launch caused.

cyress8

Banned
Way back at the beginning. Think it was Gamepro or Game Informer that I read about it. I always wanted to go when I was a youngun. I have the money to easily go now, but just not the time.

balohna

Sometime in the 90s, in GamePro or EGM or something. 97-99 or so. I definitely knew EXACTLY what it was and when it would happen by 2000 or so, and remember gobbling up all the news in 2001 and every year since.

Metalgus

Banned
1996 or 1997. But my most vivid memory of it was seeing Zelda Oot on a video reel prepared by a local computer/video game show who attended E3 1998. I lost my shit when I saw that (it was Dodonjo’s Cavern).

Crazyorloco

Damn I feel so old compared to a lot of you.

It was before the internet was really popular so 1994/1995. EGM/GamePro/Nintendo Power Magazines - this is where I got all my gaming news from.

Het_Nkik

97 or 98, I would say, since that's when I started reading IGN.

I went in 2004, which was cool for the Twlight Princess reveal and all the DS stuff. I get to tell people I played Steel Diver in 2004 and Kameo on OG Xbox.

Cess007

The first one was reported in Club Nintendo (Mexico's equivalent of Nintendo Power), so it was there. Man, I remember each year waiting for the E3 edition, reading all about the new games and systems.

AudioEppa

I use to be on GameSpot message boards / website heavily, what feels like forever ago. I eventually saw an ad on the main page about it. My first live streamed event was Sony’s 04 show. Been watching ever since.

1995 or 96, can't remember which, but it was a big section of Nintendo Power. Most of the coverage was about the N64, but there was a bit about the Virtual Boy and Mario RPG.

I don't think I actively kept up with E3 news until around 2000. It was far easier to get get information online at that point, and I was super excited about the GameCube and GBA. I remember downloading QuickTime trailers for Rogue Squadron 2 at school.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the GCN info was at SpaceWorld, not E3, but I still remember all the PS2 and Xbox info around that time too. Usually video game magazines with the new info made the rounds at school.

Top Bottom