• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

NoRéN

yeah the one off garvey.
that security guard always eyeballing the shit out of me.

im down for nba-age meet up.
gotta be a place in the middle though.
Then I'm pretty sure that guy's just a dick. I thought the same thing too last time I went. Guess he takes his job seriously.

Doomsayer

In between LA and the OC? What the fuck are we supposed to do in Cerritos?

lmao.

We should all hit up Glendale, Glendale is dope.

What is everyones personal "limit" on what counts as living in LA? To me, eastward it's the 57 Freeway, northward it's anything after the 118, and southward anythign south of buena park along the 5.

I live a little east of the 57, but it's still LA County!
by about 10 miles

I used to live in Monterey Park though. So I count.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
It'll never happen in our lifetime. No money and BH has been fighting it every step of the way. They don't want riffraff in THEIR part of town. :/

Wait a sec, are you the same xseed employee from a Gamespot Trails in the Sky interview I saw a while back?

What is everyones personal "limit" on what counts as living in LA? To me, eastward it's the 57 Freeway, northward it's anything after the 118, and southward anythign south of buena park along the 5.

Radius of 13 miles from where it says Los Angeles on Google Maps.

EDIT: Make that 10 miles with a special exception for Santa Monica.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
the carne asada is bit dry.
what makes up for it is the red hot sauce. nectar of the gods.
the posole and menudo are fantastic though!
i also go to king taco in el monte.
its like we're brothers from another mama.

Have you eaten at Taco Zone? If so, how does it compare? Because I love TZ's al pastor and can't seem to break away from it.

NoRéN

Exactly. I mean, look at this douche:
Mmmm hmmm.

What's your point?
What they gonna do? post a list of zip codes that are technically City of Los Angeles?

All of L.A. county is considered Los Angeles. No problem with that.

Have you eaten at Taco Zone? If so, how does it compare? Because I love TZ's al pastor and can't seem to break away from it.
And this is where, if I may ask?

or you know, use the actual county borders
igoSp.png

Geek

Ninny Prancer
NoRéN;34388208 said:
And this is where, if I may ask?

Truck outside the Vons on Alvarado after 8:30 pm. :D

Nothing glamorous, obviously, but they turn out a good brisket and al pastor.

Doomsayer

Monterey Park/Alhambra is where many Chinese immigrants end up when they come to L.A., and the population makeup/businesses around here reflect that.

This is very true.

Too be honest, Monterey Park kind of turned into a shit hole. I still adore it dearly because most of my friends live there, but wow.

NoRéN

Truck outside the Vons on Alvarado after 8:30 pm. :D

Nothing glamorous, obviously, but they turn out a good brisket and al pastor.

My memory's a bit rusty but, the Vons in Echo Park between Alvarado and Glendale?

on the 210 the "san bernardino county" signs start in Upland, along the 60 in Chino. I think Buena Park is where the "orange county" signs show up, but I think of the physical location of the 91 is where I think of the cutoff
Im no stickler for this stuff, nor do I care really, but I lived in Whittier for a while and I was walking distance from the "County Line". Whittier then La Habra was in OC. So, I guess Whittier is still LA county?

Someone has to push around all those dim sum carts.

there used to be a place in chinatown in la called ABC seafoods.
dim sum carts rolling around. so good.
but its no more :(
on the 210 the "san bernardino county" signs start in Upland, along the 60 in Chino. I think Buena Park is where the "orange county" signs show up, but I think of the physical location of the 91 is where I think of the cutoff

on the 5 going south, the orange/LA border begins when the freeway suddenly opens up with more lanes.

JCX

I miss LA. Lived in socal over the summer. As much as I love public transit in Chicago, my upbringing in Michigan made me used to suburban sprawl.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
If any of you Echo Park types enjoy the taste of beer, Sunset Beer Co. is a relatively new establishment, but a great place to get a huge variety of ales, stouts, IPAs, etc. Tastings, beer of the month club, they got some stuff goin' on.

Also, just ate at the brand newly opened Red Hill for the first time this past week. Pretty good. From the guy who runs Local, which I enjoy occasionally.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I shop at that Vons 2x a week at least.

There's a little Mexican place called Tacos Mexico at the intersection of Alvarado, Glendale and Berkeley. They have really good al pastor there.

Last time I ate at Tacos Mexico, I enjoyed it. But after finding Taco Zone, I never went back.

Sobriquet

I consider it the City of Los Angeles. It seem some folks in this thread disagree. I even got called a douche. :shrug: I give a pass to the Santa Monica area, I suppose.

I consider the 710 to be the cutoff to the east.

i'll take a trip there once my car gets fixed.

They have valet for like $1 or $2. I suggest making sure you make a right to get into the place, making a left can be a bitch there.

And like I said, reservation if you can on weekends. You can be waiting over an hour, otherwise. God I miss the shrimp right now.

yangchow_sm.jpg

I could sleep in this all night. It's amazing when you walk in there is not one table without this dish on it.

Top Bottom