• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U announced - "Rethink the conventions of Zelda"

Tookay

If you expect every game to have VA regardless of obvious stylistic choices not to use it, then yes, you're just wanting it because it's everywhere else.

There's no stylistic choice here. They're doing it because it's safe. It's like making silent films when "talkies" are available just because it's what they're used to and they can't conceive of a way it would benefit.

When I'm trying to get invested in a game that has the ability to tell its story in spoken word, when it already has graphics that exceed an NES's developers dreams and cutscenes that emulate the style of movies, then yeah, I think it's a little jarring to be still reading text in a box.

There's a stylistic cognitive dissonance created there, that's not attributable to my boring preference for homogenization or anything else you impute into my reasoning. And I think it's frankly insulting for you to be suggesting that that's what I'm getting at instead of trying to defend in a reasonable way why we need to cling to a textbox that slows down the pace more than VA ever would.

Starfox got worse with VA.

I posited it as an example of how a game can keep moving and yet have talking. Wasn't commenting on its quality (which I think your wrong about as well). Christ, do you have to make everything so difficult?

I'm all for being able to revisit dungeons with new items, but not because it's mandatory. Make it something the player can discover on their own. Otherwise it can get tedious.

mdtauk

Their new Zelda idea seems like the game we've been waiting for all along ;_;
Non-linearity and Co-op?!

Let's just hope people don't complain this time! ha... haha!

As long as the single player experience is as good, or better than the currently released Zelda games, then I will not be hostile to additional co-op modes. And as long as whatever narrative this next game has, it is not ruined or lessened with its non-linearity.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
There's no stylistic choice here. They're doing it because it's safe. It's like making silent films when "talkies" are available just because.
It's clearly a stylistic choice. I don't know why you think you can make any sort of claim to the contrary.

When I'm trying to get invested in a game that has the ability to tell its story in spoken word, when it already has graphics that exceed an NES's developers dreams and cutscenes that emulate the style of movies, then yeah, I think it's a little jarring to be still reading text in a box.
That's why I only buy Audible editions of books.

There's a stylistic cognitive dissonance created there,
For you perhaps.

I posited it as an example of how a game can keep moving and yet have talking. Wasn't commenting on its quality (which I think your wrong about as well). Christ, do you have to make everything so difficult?

Mainly because I don't agree with a single thing you've said.

There's no stylistic choice here. They're doing it because it's safe. It's like making silent films when "talkies" are available just because it's what they're used to and they can't conceive of a way it would benefit.

You'd have a point if not for the fact that every other Nintendo console title this gen has had some form of voice acting...I think the Zelda team does it intentionally for whatever reason.

Dresden

I don't mind the lack of voice acting, but that lack should come with a similar reduction in... reading. Less is more.

You'd have a point if not for the fact that every other Nintendo console title this gen has had some form of voice acting...I think the Zelda team does it intentionally for whatever reason.

That's what he's saying. The team is staying safe by sticking to 'tradition' instead of taking that one step forward.

Co-op could be really fun. Zelda on the GamePad shootin' arrows and doing magic and shit, and Link with Wii MotionPlus sword controls on the big screen.

bart64

Banned
The first thing I thought of when they first showed Wii U was motion-control Link and gamepad Navi. It would be fun to fly around through cracks and locked doors then yell "Listen" when you found the way forward. Or swooping in with a heart container to save link from falling in battle.

I can see this working as an optional 2nd player role or something that player 1 can attempt while leaving Link vulnerable.

Also, the open world idea is a great way to take the series back to its roots. Just your sword and Hyrule to explore.

Nlroh

I'm not really hyped for this to be frank. Aonuma should've really been allowed to do something else, I think it's clear from the designs of the Zelda games that he has franchise fatigue. It's just ticking the boxes. Even when they did upend it a bit with Skyward Sword there didn't seem to be any heart in it and they were playing it safe in everything else.

I feel bad for the whole Zelda team, they really need to do something else, breathe some fresh air. Seems like almost everyone working on those games is extremely tired and have a pretty narrow view of what Zelda should be. Iirc, Aonuma has been saying the same thing of "rethinking the conventions" for the last couple of games...

BrhysH

So since nobody made a more general thread yet, I will try!

The Legend of Zelda WiiU

• Still in conceptual development phase
  • Development Mission: "Rethink the conventions of Zelda"
  • Probably some kind of multiplayer, co-op
  • Probably Open-world, less linear

N2FEP.gif

Conor 419

Banned
I'd even love the next Zelda to open with only a brief three second cut scene showing Link walking through a forest, you take control from there and the world is yours to explore.

It would be wicked.

Amir0x

Banned
Sounds like they're going to deconstruct the linear structure of the series, which is basically what I've been asking for for years, so my god Nintendo delivered with this bit

totowhoa

Banned
I wonder if they're going to implement multiplayer in a similar fashion as Rayman Legends. Essentially more of a support role that can be handled well enough by the AI or the player in SP. As much as I'm looking forward to seeing what Nintendo does with multiplayer here, I'm certainly expecting something a little more tame than what I'd like. Perhaps something where Link is controlled by using the Wii Remote and Link's fairy is controlled by a second player using the GamePad to distract enemies, gather items, use one or two unique abilities to help solve puzzles, etc.

Edit: And am I imaging Aunoma saying a while back that console Zelda would continue to use WM+? I feel like I remember that, but I could just be mistaking GAF conjecture for that. If that's the case, then I can see pressure to use the GamePad in some capacity as a core reason for including a second player (assuming the MP is only co-op).

Btw, add voice acting (except Link of course)

Co-signed

The Hermit

• Twilight Princess was so stale that made Nintendo realize that they needed to change the formula
  • Skyward Sword made some changes, but they acknowledged that it wasn't enough

They will have to try hard to make me excited to a new Zelda, but this is the right path.

Btw, add voice acting (except Link of course)

totowhoa

Banned
Only if it's in Hylian.

They did a good job with garble voices when it came to Midna and Fi, but they were laden with various sound effects and they didn't speak too often. I'm not sure they would be able to do that well for every character throughout the game without it wearing on my nerves :p

If they can, that's cool though. Invent a simple language that's pleasing to the ear and there's no localization necessary. I don't think I could take Garble Hylian though. Either way, I'm more than ready for the characters to find their voice (sans Link).

Falcs

Banned
I just want two things:
Get rid of motion controls.
And make Link talk.

I'm sick of having to waggle and I hate playing as an actual mute character who is actually mute and can't talk (coz that's what SS was).
Doesn't have to be voice acting, so long as he can fricken speak!

DjRoomba

Banned
I don't mind the lack of voice acting, but that lack should come with a similar reduction in... reading. Less is more.

That's what he's saying. The team is staying safe by sticking to 'tradition' instead of taking that one step forward.

There really isn't an overwhelming amount of reading, maybe you and the others that complain about the text have difficulty reading. You're not too bright or are dislexic?
I do not want to see Zelda series with voice acting
VA does not equal better game, this isnt one of those RPGs that some of gaf seems to be really into, even if you think it should be.

Chuckpebble

When the game is beaten, I want to be able to go to my house, in the game, and open up a diary, and have the ability to replay a boss or even an entire dungeon, and log it like a time trial. That way, I can replay the best parts of a Zelda game without having to go through all of the filler and dialogue again.

TheChits

I just want two things:
Get rid of motion controls.
And make Link talk.

I'm sick of having to waggle and I hate playing as an actual mute character who is actually mute and can't talk (coz that's what SS was).
Doesn't have to be voice acting, so long as he can fricken speak!

I really, really hope they don't do this.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
this game will be out in 2016

if they do voice acting

That's exactly the reason I don't want voice acting.
Here in Europe (damn region lock!) I don't want to wait months or years for them to do all the voice acting in French, German, Spanish, etc before I get to play it.

Revven

I refuse to get hyped for this. Every freaking time they start prepping for a new Zelda console game, they start off by saying, "We're going to change things up! We know people are tired of doing the same thing every game, so we're going to be making some drastic changes to the formula!"

Said this about Twilight Princess, didn't happen really (Wolf Link sections do not count). And they said this about SS (which did change some things I'm willing to admit, but it wasn't enough at all and the sacrifices they made to achieve it were not worth it).

So, I'm not going to expect them to change anything significantly again. They're going to play it safe again in the end. They'll waffle around back and forth for the whole of 2013 and then start working on the game in 2014 to finally release it in 2015-2016 where by then the hype will be deflated; people will be disappointed and call it the worst Zelda ever.

If they want to wow me, they'll do what OoT allows you to do: play the dungeons in the order you want to! Expand on what you gave the player when they turned into Adult Link. I liked being able to choose which temple I wanted to tackle first, rather than going to the Forest Temple (which is what they'd have you do if the game was linear). It made for some awesome differences in how dungeons/temples could play out with different items from dungeons that were essentially placed ahead of the initial dungeon you're meant to go in.

Just something like that breaks the linearity and gives the player freedom. If they can expand on that and make it on a grander scale, I would be elated.

Along with the option of traditional Zelda controls and motion control. MAKE EVERYBODY HAPPY.

Also, I will die if they shoehorn in the Tears of Light again. I hated those collectathons in both TP and SS (moreso in TP, SS was actually challenging and had some merit to being there BUT STILL, AWFUL). Just terrible padding, imo.

KrawlMan

Also, I will die if they shoehorn in the Tears of Light again. I hated those collectathons in both TP and SS (moreso in TP, SS was actually challenging and had some merit to being there BUT STILL, AWFUL). Just terrible padding, imo.

Retreading areas for Tears was a huge hit on my appreciation for the game. I really don't understand why they decide to include stuff like this. The games are long enough without them. Whatever they add to the story could have been left out / changed /etc.

If the reason is to get us to return to old areas and fully explore them again, pull us their through an optional side quest or the inclusion of a previously inaccessible dungeon (which they tend to do anyway), not through tedious filler content.

Zelda doesn't need re-thinking, it just needs to be done right.

The formula is solid. We just need a lot less talking and hand-holding, and more exploration.

Meelow

Banned
The people worried about multiplayer shouldn't worry too much, 4 Swords had multiplayer but I have huge doubts that the kind of multiplayer they are talking about, probably Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks multiplayer but better.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I don't think he means co-op. I think he means by yourself as in isolated (like the first couple of games). the exclusion of an AI helper.

CorvoSol

Only if it's in Hylian.

I can accept that. It was boss in Wind Waker.

I agree. I always felt games like Zelda should be more about expression and less about dialogue.

As long as great spoken things like Link's promise to Zelda and Groose's dialogue don't get cut. I feel that in Zelda there is a decent balance between what is read and what is expressed facially already.

I guess I'm a freak for being satisfied with any aspect of modern Zelda, though.

Ziek

I agree. I always felt games like Zelda should be more about expression and less about dialogue.

This is interesting. How many other games pull this off?

The story of Zelda has never interested me, but in some way I was always absorbed. I guess now I know why.

Top Bottom