• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War is Play Anywhere (XB1/Win10)

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
? It paid off in the sense that MS paid them to do this. Publishers are not giving free PC versions to XB1 game owners randomly.

...?

Do you really believe that MS isn't paying a cent to make this a Play Anywhere title?

Can you give us a link to where it is mentionned microsoft will pay everyone making games Play Anywhere? Is really like to see it.

Somnia

? It paid off in the sense that MS paid them to do this. Publishers are not giving free PC versions to XB1 game owners randomly.

...?

Do you really believe that MS isn't paying a cent to make this a Play Anywhere title?

... do you think they are doing that for the kindness on their hearts or something?

Didn't it come out that people who buy XPA games tend to play more than other users? Which means they are in the game longer and more likely to buy microtransactions/dlc. It makes sense for 3rd parties to support this if that's true and MS wouldn't have to "pay" them as you and others claim they do.

Nesses

I enjoy the Play Anywhere titles. If I want to play on my nice PC I can, if I just want to chill and play on my nice system in the basement I can as well. Got tried of double dipping games,

...?

... do you think they are doing that for the kindness on their hearts or something?

I think publishers are making financial decisions that benefit them. Someone who might have bought physical or waited until a sale is now going to buy digital because of this. There's value there to the publisher. MS just makes it extremely easy to do the port and ensure it will run forwards on future platforms which means you just got a next gen port for free. It's a great deal and it's obvious why a publisher would want to do it.

Is MS paying for it? Maybe. Not in cash certainly but they might do some co-marketing.

flkraven

...?

It could be neither. It could be a quid pro quo relationship, with Microsoft advertising for them in Xbox ads, prime placement in the Xbox store, reduced % cut taken by Microsoft, extra support for the game, etc. Point is, I don't know at all so I won't guess. You don't know either.

Nzyme32

I wonder the % of people that actually use this feature extensively. But hey, still neat.

That's like asking how many people use SteamPlay extensively. It's probably not a sizeable amount, but it certainly is valuable for whenever someone decides to use multiple systems or even switch to a different system entirely - a good reason to stick with those ecosystem. Perpetuity is standard for most things, consoles should be no different (and particularly so on a system that essentially is using the same OS)

Matt

There can be certain, ahem, financial benefits for making a Play Anywhere title that MS has been employing.

MilkyJoe

Some people obviously play on both PC and Xbox. I can't imagine being that many.

That's what makes me think it's done without changing hands. How dedicated do you have to be to play the same game on two platforms? The type that might indulge in a little microtransactionism?...

Dynomutt

I really wonder if there's any significance to also mentioning it will also be on Scorpio besides the fact that Scorpio will play all vanilla Xbox One games.

4K/Hi-Res Patch? Will probably include Shadow of Mordor as a tie in as well. Will probably get the PS4 Pro treatment plus any other benefits.

LordRaptor

I guess that Resident Evil 7 XPA paid off? It's great to hear more and more 3rd party games (from different publishers) getting on board

You'll find out if RE7 paid off when you find out whats the deal with the next Capcom release. This says literally nothing about how RE7 went.

WadeitOut

They probably aren't doing it for free. MS is probably paying them.

Probably not much if so. Helps force people to go digital and kills the disc reselling of their games.

That's what makes me think it's done without changing hands. How dedicated do you have to be to play the same game on two platforms? The type that might indulge in a little microtransactionism?...

Not that dedicated. Saves sync between both constantly. Sometimes I want to play at my desk in ultra wide. Other times the lady is on my computer so I go to the living room.

MUnited83

For you.
Can you give us a link to where it is mentionned microsoft will pay everyone making games Play Anywhere? Is really like to see it.

I guarantee there isn't a single big publisher in the world that will go all the way to make a cross-buy play anywhere title without being paid for it.
It could be neither. It could be a quid pro quo relationship, with Microsoft advertising for them in Xbox ads, prime placement in the Xbox store, reduced % cut taken by Microsoft, extra support for the game, etc. Point is, I don't know at all so I won't guess. You don't know either.

All those count as getting paid.

gogojira

I'll start swinging back in Microsoft's direction for third party games if a great deal of them become XB1/Scorpio Enhanced/Win10 titles. Seems like a damn good value.

LordRaptor

WB is the last big AAA third party who don't already have their own PC storefront to do a test release with Play Anywhere, right?

amdb00mer

A lot of accusations of MS paying for the PA feature. Where is your proof? So many haters with accusations. Maybe since X1 and Win10 are built off the same OS it is easy to release for both with little to no extra cost?? Also, they mention Scorpio. Means the game will have 4k assets. Also, this news does not prevent it from coming to Steam and Origin.

MUnited83

For you.
All those count as guessing.

So literally every working relationship counts as "getting paid"?

Marketing, prime placement in XBL, more cut on purchases, are all financial investments.
There can be certain, ahem, financial benefits for making a Play Anywhere title that MS has been employing.
Well yeah, nobody is doing this for free.

A lot of accusations of MS paying for the PA feature. Where is your proof? So many haters with accusations. Maybe since X1 and Win10 are built off the same OS it is easy to release for both with little to no extra cost?? Also, they mention Scorpio. Means the game will have 4k assets. Also, this news does not prevent it from coming to Steam and Origin.

This is not how it works. The game is also getting a Steam release that runs on Windows 7 just fine, which means the "no extra cost for the port" is complete bullshit.

icespide

Banned
I still don't quite get the appeal of Play Anywhere. If someone invested the money into building a gaming PC rig to do these games justice, I don't see why they would ever bother with an inferior console version.

For those that do see the appeal, this is great news

LordRaptor

A lot of accusations of MS paying for the PA feature. Where is your proof?

A Play Anywhere title ensures that each sale is a permanent one off with no possibility of any future double dipping (unless the W10 appstore gets nuked).

It seems reasonably likely that there is some current financial incentive to giving up future long tail sales.

Great value ad for Xbox people but I wonder what PC gamer is going "yeah. Ill totally put up with the Windows Store so I can also play this on a Xbox"

I seriously do hope MS gets the store in order one day. At least they are going out making deals with 3rd parties. Thats a good step and great they are keeping the push going.

WadeitOut

I still don't quite get the appeal of Play Anywhere. If someone invested the money into building a gaming PC rig to do these games justice, I don't see why they would ever bother with an inferior console version.

The appeal is so incredibly obvious that I don't even believe you.

Admodieus

People still not realizing that XBox Play Anywhere is not meant to convert Steam users to Windows Store or XBox, but instead to make sure that people who grow up on XBox end up buying Windows PCs for the foreseeable future.

flkraven

I can play Gears on my PC while my gf plays on the Xbox, and i only had to get 1 copy of the game.

Gren

WB is the last big AAA third party who don't already have their own PC storefront to do a test release with Play Anywhere, right?
While I'd consider Square-Enix and Namco to be just as AAA as Capcom, Activision also hasn't; COD wasn't PA.

cackhyena

I mean, if you're talking Scorpio...I'm not sure just how inferior it'll actually be. PC will always make things pop more, but I'm p sure it'll hold it's own just fine. As to the appeal...it's kinda just there. When you wanna game on one for a variety of reasons, it picks up right where you left off. My PC still smokes my consoles and I game on console more often nowadays. Different strokes. It's still a nice, hassle free incentive.

Matt

Different % taken on the store if they offer it as Play Anywhere? Or something like that?
There are various agreements that can be made. Certainly what you suggested is one of them.

It's a smart deal for publishers to take, and for MS to offer.

Somnia

A Play Anywhere title ensures that each sale is a permanent one off with no possibility of any future double dipping (unless the W10 appstore gets nuked).

It seems reasonably likely that there is some current financial incentive to giving up future long tail sales.

As I said earlier it came out awhile go that people who buy and use Play Anywhere are playing games longer than other users. That increases the likely hood of future DLC sales which is a bonus to devs/publishers.

Sure MS is most likely cutting deals in the sense of marketing, page placement, etc. but every hardware holder does that.

Gren

There are various agreements that can be made. Certainly what you suggested is one of them.

It's a smart deal for publishers to take, and for MS to offer.
It was pretty much common sense, but good to have the "mystery" of pubs giving away copies of their big new games on day one solved.

To be fair, post Scorpio Xboxes supporting past Xbox games has nothing to do with play anywhere. That's just BC.
Not quite, I mean the game acknowledging it's running on a beefier console and adapting, because the game was already made with that in mind.

Unlike non uwp games running on Scorpio for instance, where they will just run at maximum target frame rate and resolution, but no further improvements.

Synth

I guarantee there isn't a single big publisher in the world that will go all the way to make a cross-buy play anywhere title without being paid for it.

But publishers offer crossbuy within ecosystems all the time. Steam (Windows/Mac/Linux), iOS (iPhone/iPad), PlayStation (PS1 games. PSP to Vita, etc), Android. Hell, it's even been the case on Windows up to now with Windows Phone and Windows 8/10. The Xbox console was the outlier.

ElNino

For the same reason that games which are cross-buy between PS4/Vita appeal to me. Buying a game once and having options as to where to play it are appealing to me (and I would assume almost everyone who has the option).

Also, not every game will require a beefy gaming PC rig so in some instances the Xbox version is the superior version while the PC will be used on a laptop "on the go".

LordRaptor

While I'd consider Square-Enix and Namco to be just as AAA as Capcom, Activision also hasn't; COD wasn't PA.

Square and Activision both have their own online storefronts (same as Paradox and Take 2), but you're right about Namco.

Top Bottom