• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be interested to see what Jurrjens could do in a completely healthy season. He was awesome down the stretch in 2009.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Jair Jurjeens is the next Lowe, his luck is almost out.
probably, but maybe, just maybe he is one of those outliers, but i doubt it.

he is still relatively cheap though and i have no doubt that once he gets too expensive he will be traded.

Windu

mg7k4.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dodgers on the verge of re-signing Juan Rivera to a 1-year deal with a team option for 2013.

Surprised McCourt is spending any money at all. Or maybe he goes crazy acknowledging the obvious, that it was always over and he's just spending somebody else's money.

eznark said:
I hear this often. Why? They have Gallardo, Braun, Hart and Weeks signed long term. That's as good a core (assuming Weeks stays healthy) as any team in the central.
Because as good as that core is, your everyday players were never the problem with your team prior to this season. The improved pitching is the main difference between the division winning Brewers and the Brewers of the past few years. Greinke is signed for one more season and I believe Marcum is under team control for two more.

Perhaps your farm produces a few surprises and you guys sign a big FA or two to extend your championship contender status for longer. But it's not something I'd be positive about if I were a Brewer fan. You guys aren't going to fall off a cliff or anything but the division is only going to get tougher with Theo coming to the Cubs and the recently hopeless looking Astros potentially leaving the division.

ConradCervantes said:
Really?

Really?
Maybe.

Coins

Banned
So Dick Vitale said this on twitter.

Getting lots of ppl saying Cards should hire @RaysJoeMaddon - FORGET ABOUT IT - he loves his Rays & WE LOVE HIM .#NEXTPLEASE

To which Joe Maddon responded with this.

@DickieV hey buddy...thx for the good words...looking forward to bball season and you doing your thing..best to your family

Thats a definite non denial.

bozeman

-- The Cardinals have declined Octavio Dotel's ($3.5 million) and Rafael Furcal's ($1.3 million) 2012 options, making Dotel and Furcal free agents. Dotel gets a $0.75 million buyout. Furcal gets a $1.3 million buyout.

Can someone explain why the Cardinals would pay somebody the same amount to leave as it would take to keep him next season? I know he has problems staying healthy, but we could get something out of him in the season and he proved his value for the stretch run. We're not going to get Reyes or Rollins, Tyler Greene hasn't shown anything to make me believe he'll ever be a good major league player, and Theriot, Descalso, and Schumaker have shown they're not the answer. They tried Allen Craig at 2nd a few games this season and while it was great to have his bat in the lineup he had to be pulled early because of his defense.

bozeman said:
Can someone explain why the Cardinals would pay somebody the same amount to leave as it would take to keep him next season? I know he has problems staying healthy, but we could get something out of him in the season and he proved his value for the stretch run. We're not going to get Reyes or Rollins, Tyler Greene hasn't shown anything to make me believe he'll ever be a good major league player, and Theriot, Descalso, and Schumaker have shown they're not the answer. They tried Allen Craig at 2nd a few games this season and while it was great to have his bat in the lineup he had to be pulled early because of his defense.

I am almost 100% sure that's a typo and it should read $12 million, not 1.3. Major typo.

bozeman said:
That was a typo. His option that was declined was 12 million. (EDIT: BEATEN)

Health is definitely the biggest issue and nobody knows how much payroll is going to be. If payroll remains roughly static, I don't think we can afford both Furcal and Pujols. Hopefully they can settle the Pujols situation early enough for the front office to still make other moves (regardless if he comes back or not).

Malo

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Kershaw, Kemp and Ethier all won gold gloves.

Adrian Gonzalez, Pedroia and Ellsbury won one as well.

http://i.imgur.com/KQ9Xal.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Gardner won a gold glove right? Oh wait...

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Soka said:
I am almost 100% sure that's a typo and it should read $12 million, not 1.3. Major typo.

Rafael Furcal ss
3 years/$30M (2009-11), plus 2012 option

3 years/$30M (2009-11)
re-signed by LA Dodgers as a free agent 12/18/09
$3M signing bonus (deferred to January 2012)
09:$6.5M, 10:$8.5M, 11:$12M, 12:$12M club option
2012 option becomes guaranteed with 600 PAs in 2011
may earn additional $1M annually based on health
limited no-trade clause (may block deals to specified clubs)
acquired by St. Louis in trade from LA Dodgers 7/31/11 (waived 10-5 rights) (Cardinals to pay about $1.4M of remaining 2011 salary, with Dodgers paying the balance)

BFIB

My guess is the Cards work on extended contracts with Furcal and Dotel.

I'm not sure how deep into discussions the Cards were with Furcal, but Mo did acknowledge there were discussions with his agent in September.

American League
P -- Mark Buehrle, CHW
C -- Matt Wieters, BAL
1B -- Adrian Gonzalez, BOS
2B -- Dustin Pedroia, BOS
SS -- Erick Aybar, LAA
3B -- Adrian Beltre, TEX
LF -- Alex Gordon, KC
CF -- Jacoby Ellsbury, BOS
RF -- Nick Markakis, BAL

National League
P -- Clayton Kershaw, LAD
C -- Yadier Molina, STL
1B -- Joey Votto, CIN
2B -- Brandon Phillips, CIN
SS -- Troy Tulowitzki, COL
3B -- Placido Polanco, PHI
LF -- Gerardo Parra, ARI
CF -- Matt Kemp, LAD
RF -- Andre Ethier, LAD

Windu

lazybones18 said:
American League
P -- Mark Buehrle, CHW
C -- Matt Wieters, BAL
1B -- Adrian Gonzalez, BOS
2B -- Dustin Pedroia, BOS
SS -- Erick Aybar, LAA
3B -- Adrian Beltre, TEX
LF -- Alex Gordon, KC
CF -- Jacoby Ellsbury, BOS
RF -- Nick Markakis, BAL

National League
P -- Clayton Kershaw, LAD
C -- Yadier Molina, STL
1B -- Joey Votto, CIN
2B -- Brandon Phillips, CIN
SS -- Troy Tulowitzki, COL
3B -- Placido Polanco, PHI
LF -- Gerardo Parra, ARI
CF -- Matt Kemp, LAD
RF -- Andre Ethier, LAD
Code:
[B]American League[/b]

C  -- Matt Wieters     - 110 wRC+
1B -- Adrian Gonzalez  - 153 wRC+
2B -- Dustin Pedroia   - 134 wRC+
SS -- Erick Aybar      - 109 wRC+
3B -- Adrian Beltre    - 134 wRC+
LF -- Alex Gordon      - 141 wRC+
CF -- Jacoby Ellsbury  - 150 wRC+
RF -- Nick Markakis    - 107 wRC+

[b]National League[/b]

C  -- Yadier Molina    - 123 wRC+
1B -- Joey Votto       - 155 wRC+
2B -- Brandon Phillips - 119 wRC+
SS -- Troy Tulowitzki  - 138 wRC+
3B -- Placido Polanco  - 88  wRC+
LF -- Gerardo Parra    - 109 wRC+
CF -- Matt Kemp        - 171 wRC+
RF -- Andre Ethier     - 119 wRC+
i know some of those people deserve the award but when the gold glove winners would probably make the best two lineups in the majors....

edit: here are the fielding bible awards for comparison. I guess the GG did decent i guess, but its just strange that the lineups are always really good. I guess that just points toward what teams are valuing these days. If you can't hit you rarely get to play everyday even if you are amazing with the glove.

FSEe5.gif

BjzR0.gif

UzEdy.gif

What do you guys think Darvish's posting fee will be? I'm hearing that a lot of teams aren't going to go over $50 mil because of Matsuzaka, but I can't see it. I think his posting fee is going to be at least $65 mil.

eznark

Banned
Thank God Parra won the LF gold glove.

When do they do the "meaningfuk" awards. I want to laugh at Braun's MVP.

Puddles

Banned
Now that Kemp has won another Gold Glove, it's clear that the only argument against him for MVP is the quality of his teammates. Lame.

Sharp

talisayNon said:
What do you guys think Darvish's posting fee will be? I'm hearing that a lot of teams aren't going to go over $50 mil because of Matsuzaka, but I can't see it. I think his posting fee is going to be at least $65 mil.
I don't really believe that for a second. They're two totally different pitchers.

eznark

Banned
What was the FA market when Matsuzaka came over? I can't really remember but for some reason I think it was mildly better than the current one. So, they both kind of stunk?

eznark said:
What was the FA market when Matsuzaka came over? I can't really remember but for some reason I think it was mildly better than the current one. So, they both kind of stunk?

From mlbtraderumors.com Top 16 FA of 2007
1. Daisuke Matsuzaka - Yankees.  Cashman needs a #1 starter, and not many teams can take on this kind of risk for such a huge amount of money.  I think he's a Yankee all the way.  Seattle stepping down only increases the chances.

2. Alfonso Soriano - Phillies. Pat Gillick might have some competition from the Mets, but the Phils seem serious about spending big-time money for another superstar level player.  Soriano and Howard could provide a ton of Ks and home runs as a tandem.

3. Aramis Ramirez - Cubs. Sportswriters like to spew silly things about how Ramirez didn't "carry the team" when Derrek Lee was out and how he's lazy.  Somehow I doubt these minor, partly made-up issues are on Jim Hendry's mind as he negotiates with the 28 year-old third baseman.  The contract could run as long as six years.

4. Barry Zito - Padres.  We know the Padres aren't particular fond of Scott Boras, but who really is?  He might be the best bet for a long-term contract for a pitcher, and the Padres have over $30MM to play with this winter.  Peavy/Young/Zito/Hensley looks mighty solid to me.

5.  Barry Bonds - Giants. I don't buy the "lack of interest" angle for a second.  When a player gets on base 45% of the time, wants a one or two-year deal, and is poised to break a major record, many teams are going to inquire.  We all know the negatives: former(?) 'roid usage, the attitude, the age, the defense.  But from a strictly baseball sense, the pros outweigh the cons by a long shot.  I just can't see the Giants letting him leave after all they've been through together.   

6. Jason Schmidt - Mariners.  After passing on Daisuke Matsuzaka, I think the Ms will pony up for perhaps the next best option.  This is a team that had no problem handing $40MM to Jarrod Washburn.  Schmidt is a risky long-term bet but so were Wash and Richie Sexson.  Add in the much-mentioned fact that Schmidt hails from Washington state, and we have a match.

7. Roger Clemens - Astros. I think he is up for more, despite the steroid allegations and such.  We could all do without the will he/won't he drama this time though.  The Red Sox will certainly give him a call as well, but the family arrangement with Houston is pretty sweet.  Plus, a Carlos Lee signing could convince the Rocket to give it one more try.

8. Carlos Lee - Astros. Almost seems like a foregone conclusion.  Tim Purpura has $30 million to burn, leaving room for one huge bat even if the two 40-something starters return.  Lee lives on Drayton McLane's ranch in the spare bedroom or something like that so that's a factor I guess.

9. Gary Matthews Jr. - Cubs. And to think they placed him on waivers back in '01.  Plenty of clubs (White Sox, Angels) would like to add Matthews after his career year.  While he'll be 33 next year, Sarge Jr. plays a fine center field and will still be an above average hitter for his position even after some regression.

10. Tom Glavine - Mets. It's either Mets or Braves, and the Mets make a lot more sense financially.  The newspapers report that a deal could be close, although they have backed off recently.

11. Vicente Padilla - Mets. Minaya may crave a big-name addition to the rotation, but there are only so many to go around. He'll be 29 next year, making him a younger free agent.  Bring in Padilla, Sexson, Freel, Dmitri Young, and Ponson and you've got a head start on the All-DUI team.  Francisco Liriano, Esteban Loaiza, B.J. Upton, and Rafael Furcal are not available, however.  Wow DUIs are popular in baseball now that I think about it.

12. Frank Thomas - A's.  Reports indicate that Big Frank and the A's are not too far from an agreement.  An Adam Dunn trade could be the backup plan, but right now it looks like Thomas.  We should be cautious not to count our chickens before they hatch, as Frank has a rep for chasing maximum dollars.

13. Ray Durham - Giants.  The Giants have a lot of free cash, and Ray Ray is coming off his best year yet.  Kevin Frandsen would be OK, but Durham would be much preferred.

14. Jim Edmonds - Cardinals. As the price of Edmonds is essentially $7 mil for one year, it'll be hard to cut ties and decline that option.  He redeemed himself in the playoffs somewhat.

15. Jose Guillen - Pirates. Not too many teams are in need of a right fielder, but the Bucs could be one if Xavier Nady plays first.  Because he lost 2006 to injury, Guillen could provide an affordable power bat on a two-year deal.

16. Akinori Iwamura - Indians. The Phillies and Padres will be in hard on him as well.  Iwamura could be one of the best bargains of the offseason.  He could play mainly second base for the Tribe but his assistance could be needed on the left side of the infield.

eznark said:

Yeah, Zito and Jason Schmidt were the biggest ones. That worked out well.

Also Clemens, Pettitte, Mussina, Maddux..

Celsior

talisayNon said:
Don't believe what? You don't believe that he's getting more than 50 mil or do.
Yanks and Red Sox's have both wasted tons of money of these Japaense pitchers, I would be shocked to see these smaller market teams spend 60 mil just on the ability to sign a picther.

Doytch

Looking at that 2007 FA list is my daily reminder to give thanks for AA and Beest not giving out 6+ year contracts. So awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom