• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
MikeTyson said:
Mark Cuban is supposedly interested in buying the Dodgers.
McCourt was asking for $1-1.2 billion apparently. Cuban wasn't interested at that price but I wonder how much they're asking for now that the team is up for sale.

bluemax

Banned
Dmncnby2k9 said:
From mlbtraderumors.com Top 16 FA of 2007
6. Jason Schmidt - Mariners.  After passing on Daisuke Matsuzaka, I think the Ms will pony up for perhaps the next best option.  This is a team that had no problem handing $40MM to Jarrod Washburn.  Schmidt is a risky long-term bet but so were Wash and Richie Sexson.  Add in the much-mentioned fact that Schmidt hails from Washington state, and we have a match.

Good thing we dodged that bullet!

310597_10150384960942451_5768707450_8225751_415434320_n.jpg

◻△, I hope you enjoy Ryan LeFevbre, the tv voice of the Royals... it sounds like he's taking a job with the Twins. He's really good, and has a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor.

Doytch

Duane Cunningham said:
◻△, I hope you enjoy Ryan LeFevbre, the tv voice of the Royals... it sounds like he's taking a job with the Twins. He's really good, and has a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor.
He's a fan of les Tigres, you should wait until Lambtron emerges from his hole when Bill Smith resigns Rauch for 9-per and tell him.

Duane Cunningham said:

Don't even confuse my top-tier god like organization with the work of Bill Smith EVER AGAIN.

UBGP6.gif

Mrbob

Darth Quade is out!

AnEternalEnigma said:
Cubs just announced Mike Quade is not returning as manager in 2012. Let the Ryne Sandberg speculation begin.

Theo said in a press release he wants the manager to have big league experience. Ryno is out. Cardinals want to talk to him.

I say let the Francona speculation begin.

Mrbob

Sandberg is out. Heard on Chicago Sports radio Theo already reached out to Philly and Ryno and told him he is out of the running.

Malo

Banned
Just heard on the Spanish news that Oscar De la Hoya might be interested in buying the Dodgers.

De la Hoya can't possibly have enough money himself to buy them, right?

SuperMalo said:
Just heard on the Spanish news that Oscar De la Hoya might be interested in buying the Dodgers.

De la Hoya can't possibly have enough money himself to buy them, right?
Pretty sure he's gonna lead a group. The man has money, golden boy promotions has been raking money recently, but he doesn't have that kind of money. The team might sell for a billion dolares, so imagine.

Malo

Banned
Dmncnby2k9 said:
Pretty sure he's gonna lead a group. The man has money, golden boy promotions has been raking money recently, but he doesn't have that kind of money. The team might sell for a billion dolares, so imagine.
That makes a lot more sense than buying the team himself.

cashman

Banned
I heard Mike maddux's name in the running for the Cubs job. Isn't greg some sort of special assistant with the Cubs?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Duane Cunningham said:
He's out of the running for the Twins job. I am scared we will get a full time radio booth of Jack Morris and Dan Gladden.

Binx said:
Congrats to Mcann for the SS. Now he just needs to be less choke in '12.
He didn't really choke. He came back way too early from that oblique injury and was too stubborn to stop playing hurt.

Doytch

Prime Minister of Defense just signed a two-year deal with the DBags. And there was much gnashing of the teeth and wailing in the streets.

NomarTyme

HarryDemeanor said:
McCourt was asking for $1-1.2 billion apparently. Cuban wasn't interested at that price but I wonder how much they're asking for now that the team is up for sale.
Cuban is posturing. He would buy it for billion dollars but the business man in him wouldn't let him do that. He is gonna be the new Dodger owner anyways and MLB Champion here we COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1st sign CJ for 10 years 160 million and sign Fielder to a similar deal.

Fenix

Doytch said:
Prime Minister of Defense just signed a two-year deal with the DBags. And there was much gnashing of the teeth and wailing in the streets.
BURN IN HELL YOU MONSTERS!

Binx

AnEternalEnigma said:
He didn't really choke. He came back way too early from that oblique injury and was too stubborn to stop playing hurt.

I was looking at his lifetime Clutch stat instead of that for 2011, but still it was not a good number last year. Surprised he has so many negative Clutch years. Seems like you could always count on him. I hope it was just the injury. He's still my favorite current Brave.

Matt Cerrone said:
As I’ve been saying, there continues to be some buzz in baseball suggesting the Marlins might make a play for Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder or Jose Reyes (offering VERY lucrative, short-term contracts). I guess in the case of Jose, Hanley would move to third. He makes sense for the Marlins. … and that makes me nervous, not to mention talk of them also making a run at Rays starting pitcher James Shields.
Marlins looking for stars to pair with Josh Johnson and Mike Stanton.

Why would any of those players want a short term contract unless it was ridiculously lucrative (like 50 million a year)? It's their last chance at a long contract to cap off their career. The risk of injury or underperformance due to age in the next year or two isn't worth it.

You wait until offseason of next year. Marlins with that new lease will have money, a ton of it..
Little Green Yoda said:
Why would any of those players want a short term contract unless it was ridiculously lucrative (like 50 million a year)? It's their last chance at a long contract to cap off their career. The risk of injury or underperformance due to age in the next year or two isn't worth it.
You don't think people would pay Albert Pujols regardless? He's no Ryan Howard...

eznark

Banned
Little Green Yoda said:

...serious? They can take 3x their one year value and sign the exact same contract they would have signed this year, next year. All of them are coming off fantastic years and one down year won't hurt them at all, should they play poorly or get injured.

Doytch

I think a 4-yr-ish deal might make sense for Fielder if the market doesn't want to go long. He'd be what, 30-31 by the end?

Course I don't think he won't find someone willing to go 7+ years.

I don't see any of them can getting a comparable contract next offseason if they underperform drastically or get hurt. One year older coming off a down/injured season is going to dissuade at least a few bidders from overpaying that would have done so this offseason.

But perhaps I overestimate the average GM in baseball.

eznark

Banned
Doytch said:
I think a 4-yr-ish deal might make sense for Fielder if the market doesn't want to go long. He'd be what, 30-31 by the end?

With his body, he needs to hold out for as long a deal as he can possibly get.

But perhaps I overestimate the average GM in baseball.
Everyone always does.

CV4Qe.jpg

Doytch

eznark said:
With his body, he needs to hold out for as long a deal as he can possibly get.

Everyone always does.

CV4Qe.jpg
I dunno, he's comp-proof. Predicting how he'll age is impossible, so it's up to Prince whether he wants to take a shorter deal with higher AAV and beast/work-out near the end of the contract to make a second even more lucrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom