• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
The Frankman said:
36511d1312960976-mlb-11-custom-cover-thread-kenny2.jpg
dat no image

Sharp

Doytch said:
Lucky number 50 on Klaw's Top 50 FAs list!
$4 million apparently, smells like the right price to me. That's half of what we paid Christian Guzman to lollygag in the infield and never walk.

Maxim726X

Sizemore looks like he'll get a lot of interest... And thus be out of the Mets price range.

I guess Vaughn? Nick Evans?

LET'S GO METS.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i am subscribed to all of the NL East MLBTR RSS feeds, the Marlins are spamming me. They seem to be involved in every single rumor even when they are not even mentioned. NL Central Rumors. Marlins. AL East Rumors. Marlins. Texas Rangers Rumors. Marlins.

Doytch

Wat? Mestball are actually debating non-tendering Pagan? ..... Even If you sign a better option (lol!), he'd be a good bench/trade option at what, 4ish mil?

Doytch said:
Wat? Mestball are actually debating non-tendering Pagan? ..... Even If you sign a better option (lol!), he'd be a good bench/trade option at what, 4ish mil?
I don't think Mestball are really debating, just Mestfans.

Maxim726X

Doytch said:

I don't understand the hate he gets... Certainly worth the money he's making, IMO.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Several teams are reporting the Braves have made it known they would be willing to trade Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado.

I am surprised to hear they would trade Jurrjens, he was so good before he got hurt last year. I hope tat they do trade hm though.

Vote for the 2011 MLB GIBBY Awards, MLB-GAF

Maxim726X said:
I don't understand the hate he gets... Certainly worth the money he's making, IMO.
Pagan alienated his manager and many teammates with what they “perceived as a sour disposition,” Martino writes. And, several times last season Terry Collins “tried to connect with Pagan, calling him into the office and asking why he was sulking.”
His power numbers batting lefty are declining rapidly and he can be a sulky knucklehead? If there is a guy similarly priced, I wouldn't mind taking a shot at him. However I'd rather see Pelfrey gone 1st.

LJ11 said:
It's actually people like Frank who have this new found hatred for the guy, we all know Frank's crazy though.
a) Where did I say I hate him? He DOES sulk alot for some reason and is he or is he not a knucklehead? You've called him far worse.
b) This coming from the Met fan who hates every single Met...

And I didn't start it, The media/announcers did. Even Cohen talked about what to do with Pagan before the season ended.

LJ11

I like Pagan, can't recall trashing him but I'm sure I've called him a fucking moron. Don't really understand the sulking part, if I were a ballplayer playing like shit I'd probably "sulk"/look pissed as well. Not sure why sulking matters, should he clap and smile after a strikeout?

LJ11 said:
I like Pagan, can't recall trashing him but I'm sure I've called him a fucking moron. Don't really understand the sulking part, if I were a ballplayer playing like shit I'd probably "sulk"/look pissed as well. Not sure why sulking matters, should he clap and smile after a strikeout?
No, Jose Reyes claps his hands and smiles and Mitch Williams said he's what's wrong with baseball today.

See, he needs to be a robot. Have no emotion and be completely neutral.

Windu

yankeehater said:
I am surprised to hear they would trade Jurrjens, he was so good before he got hurt last year. I hope tat they do trade hm though.
jurrjens is probably our 5th, 6th best starter. We are not going to trade him just to trade him, but we would be better off using the money elsewhere.

I'd definitely choose Hudson, Hanson, beachy and minor over him at this point. And then there is Teheran, Delgado and Viscainio who are MLB ready but haven't reached their potential yet.

edit: oh and we also have Kris Medlen as well. I'd choose him over jurrjens too but I'm not sure if he can handle the work load.

Binx

AnEternalEnigma said:
Several teams are reporting the Braves have made it known they would be willing to trade Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado.

Apparentlythere was some talk with the Royals that has since stalled out. My gut was to be sorry to see him leave, but this article shows why the Braves may be so anxious to let him go.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/jurrjens-isnt-worth-a-top-prospect/

EDIT: unrelated, I am just hearing the Bob Forsch news. Wow, he pitched some of the first games I ever saw. (yeah, I'm an old fucker)

Windu

here is a rough estimate of what the braves payroll situation is like using the current roster:

1c7f9.jpg

edit: also apparently the rumor was a two for two deal between the royals and braves. Jurrjens/Prado for Myers/Cain. I don't really care for Cain..but Myers. Yes Please.

My ex was a Braves fan because she watched a lot of TBS growing up, and she HATED it when I catcalled Chipper using his Christian name whenever we went to games.

Windu

ConradCervantes said:
My ex was a Braves fan because she watched a lot of TBS growing up, and she HATED it when I catcalled Chipper using his Christian name whenever we went to games.
i have never understood why people feel that is a insult. It is his name after all.

Supposedly, the Braves offered both Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado to the Royals in exchange for Lorenzo Cain and Wil Myers earlier this week. The Royals declined because they do not want to trade Myers.

Windu

Cubs manager interviews out of ordinary
One part of the process is game simulations, in which the candidate is handed lineup cards, statistics, a history of the relievers’ workloads and other relevant facts. A candidate will watch a tape of a game with the Cubs’ brass, who will stop the tape at various junctures to ask the candidate what he would do in a particular situation.
“We’d try to create some intensity, so we got right in his face and asked for an answer pretty quickly,” president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said. “We weren’t looking so much as to what the managerial candidate said, in terms of the strategy he would employ, but what pieces of information he would use — what his thought process would be in trying to make a decision (under pressure).”
AnEternalEnigma said:
Supposedly, the Braves offered both Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado to the Royals in exchange for Lorenzo Cain and Wil Myers earlier this week. The Royals declined because they do not want to trade Myers.
i miss the old Royals FO, they probably would have made that deal while throwing in Hosmer and Moustakas as well.
NEW YORK—Just weeks after Major League Baseball wrapped up its 2011 season with an unlikely championship run by the St. Louis Cardinals, baseball fans are reportedly confused and disappointed by the way dozens of storylines were left dangling.

"The Cardinals saga was okay, but I really expected it to be more of a backdrop for the more interesting stuff they'd been building up to all season," said longtime baseball viewer Mike Dietch, who on the MLB.com message boards Monday expressed his frustrations at "being left hanging by baseball yet again." "It was all Phillies for a while, and then they just disappear? And all that attention on the Yankees, but that didn't go anywhere. What was the point of the Yankees this year? And where did Heath Bell even end up? If they resolved that, I totally missed it."

"And why did they introduce that Red Sox fried chicken and beer subplot so late in the season?" Dietch added. "It was stupid, anyway, but the timing was just weird."

The 2011 season is already being criticized as one of the least exciting in recent history, with many longtime followers of the sport saying that what they call "The Show" has lost its way in recent years. Some fans said the sheer number of unanswered questions may ultimately make this season as poorly regarded as 2004's, with its predictable Red Sox victory ending telegraphed almost from opening day.

"When they stretched the finale out to seven episodes, I thought, of course they're going to at least mention something about why the Diamondbacks were so good this year or why the Twins were so bad," said Cheyenne, WY viewer Ben Harrigan, who has watched baseball every year since 1989, remaining faithful even when it resorted to tacky home run races and became bogged down in extended melodramatic steroid-abuse episodes. "But there was no explanation at all. And what happened to the Giants? They were supposed to be the next big thing, but we basically got zippo."

Not all fan reaction to the 2011 season has been negative. Although ratings for the Series were down overall, MLB surveys of those who did watch said they enjoyed the way longtime baseball character Tony La Russa was written off quietly, instead of dying in a violent drunken incident as his overall performance seemed to foreshadow.

Many also said they thought it appropriate that the Pirates' moment in the spotlight came to an end at midseason, as having them win their division would have seemed unrealistic. And most viewers expressed appreciation that the last few hours concentrated on teams other than those in the AL East.

Still, baseball's fans reportedly weren't satisfied by the way major characters were introduced and then abandoned almost at random. According to MLB personnel, among the questions most asked by fans were "Whatever happened with Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun? Are they still a team or did Fielder leave?" "Why was there so much about Bryce Harper when he isn't even in the league yet?" and "Stephen Strasburg came back, right? So then what?"

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the frustration appears not to be limited to just the big names.

"I was really enjoying the whole Nyjer Morgan story for a while there—the guy was obviously headed for some sort of nutzoid meltdown—but then nothing came of it," Omaha, NE fan Peter Jowett said. "And I know lots of people were fascinated by the Indians, but they sort of got phased out. And what was that guy's name? Carl Crawford? Wasn't he supposed to be something? Weird how they all just faded into the background."

Saying they were sensitive to the needs of their fans, Major League Baseball issued a press release Tuesday thanking fans for their input and promising all their questions would be answered in due time.

"We know the drama and excitement of baseball is just as important to our fans as it is to us, and we fully realize that a Cardinals-Rangers series might have been be a letdown for many of our viewers," the letter posted on MLB.com read in part. "But we promise you, big things are ahead in 2012 as the story of the sport continues to unfold. Trust us—you won't believe what happens to Ozzie Guillen."

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/conclusion-of-mlb-season-fails-to-tie-up-several-l,26549/

Sharp

At the rate GMs are turning down a job with the O's, they might need to start dipping into the pool of guys like Minaya and Bowden soon

Or they could hire me

Sharp said:
At the rate GMs are turning down a job with the O's, they might need to start dipping into the pool of guys like Minaya and Bowden soon

Or they could hire me
If you get hired I want to be asst. GM. Or player/coach.

ZeroRay

Windu said:
i am subscribed to all of the NL East MLBTR RSS feeds, the Marlins are spamming me. They seem to be involved in every single rumor even when they are not even mentioned. NL Central Rumors. Marlins. AL East Rumors. Marlins. Texas Rangers Rumors. Marlins.

muahaha

New uniforms and merch unveiled Nov. 11. Fuck Skyrim, this is totally the most important event.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
ZeroRay said:
muahaha

New uniforms and merch unveiled Nov. 11. Fuck Skyrim, this is totally the most important event.

Supposedly, they've already been leaked:

BAzOx-300x174.png

marlins_uniforms_home.gif

miami_marlins_uniform_150.jpg

If those are real. L-O-fucking-L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom