• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

philm87

Didn't want to start another thread, but I went ahead and ordered a Pro and it should be delivered tomorrow.

Easiest way to move items is to just download my saves from the cloud? That's really all I am worried about.

When do I need to deactivate my old PS4 as the primary and activate the PRO as primary? Going to sell PS4 ASAP so just looking for easiest and fastest way to move data.

Thanks!

As above, the easiest way is by LAN (ethernet cable). It was so simple, and as soon as you turn the PS4 Pro on it will tell you what you need to do, including going through the process of making the new one your primary.

P4NCH0theD0G

Neo Member
On Topic:

Aragami - Stealth game

PS4 Pro patch came a while back. Sadly, it doesn't seem to improve performance AT ALL, despite patch notes saying "up to 25% more FPS". (tested on 1080p display)

The game is great, but the performance horrible at times. Unity, which apparently has its problems on PS4. The game stutters harshly with every quicksave, like screen freeze for 1/4 of a second. VSync option takes away screen tearing (screen tearing on base PS4 was crazy without VSync, but is still present on PS4 Pro), but also introduces bad jitter when camera panning big open areas/vistas. Background loading while traversing areas also makes for constant hitches in game play, small moments of the game becoming unresponsive.

And after some extensive testing, apart from some seemingly sharper edges, the game's performance on PS4 Pro with a Pro Patch (on 1080p display) is just as bad as on the base PS4, the issues far as I can tell identical.
It's a real shame...

Regarding the Transfer to Pro:

A few little things to (maybe) know:

You cannot download savegames for a game you haven't installed - if you want all saves in one place outside of the cloud, you would have to put them on USB/external HDD

If you initialize the PS4 the fast way, people might be able to retrieve info with 3rd party tools, but the full initialization takes hours for a 1 TB HDD

When you initialize, the process will automatically deactivate the PS4 for all users having it as their primary. When you activate another PS4 as primary before then, it "should" deactivate the other, but I never tried that.

You can activate your console from your console as much as you want, but if you do it via webbrowser, you can only do it once every 6 months.

If you buy the PS4 Pro and download lots of stuff simultaneously, you might be well advised to do a "Rebuild Database" once everything is downloaded - but be aware that it will reset notifications (you get all that "discover..." crap) and it will jumble your homescreen order around.

Tyaren

If I only have 1080p tv, is the higher resolution modes even an noticeable upgrade? Im not quite sure if all games would be downsampled if I use this mode.

A downsampled image is a clearly noticable upgrade. It's the best form of antialiasing, so you get a crisp and clean image.
These are 1080p shots that I took of games running in 4K/checkerboarding modes:

32237236682_7a8d18ca2c_o.png

horizon_zero_dawn_25_by_gamephotography-db2igwm.png

final_fantasy_xv_2_by_gamephotography-daufhnw.png

30944356592_0ebc8509e3_o.png

In many cases there are also additional graphical upgrades like better texture filtering, higher resolution shadow maps and LOD improvements, for example in FFXV that you mentioned. All that is visible on a 1080p TV screen.

The majority of Pro patched games do allow downsampling on 1080p TVs, there are however a couple of black sheep, that don't allow it for some reason. The Last Guardian for example does not allow it. You will however get a very stable framerate in the game, which the standard PS4 does not manage to keep at all times.

Brandwin

If all you want is your saves and you don't mind losing all your downloaded games/demos, installed games, DLC, screenshots/videos, etc then yeah. Make sure all your saves are uploaded to the PS+ servers, deactivate, factory reset and then go sell it. Then once you've got your Pro, you can download all your saves and activate it.

If you want to keep all your stuff though, there's two ways of doing it. The first is to backup everything to an external HDD (formatted to FAT32/exFAT), deactivate the old PS4, restore your data onto the Pro and then activate it. That's what I did when I got mine and everything transferred over perfectly, including PT. The second is to connect your old PS4 to your Pro via LAN and transfer everything over that way. I think that has an option to automatically deactivate your old system and activate your new one but I've never used it, so I wouldn't know.

As above, the easiest way is by LAN (ethernet cable). It was so simple, and as soon as you turn the PS4 Pro on it will tell you what you need to do, including going through the process of making the new one your primary.
Thanks. So going the other way. I wouldn't have to redownload games and installs etc... everything would transfer over and doing the cloud/save way, I would have to reinstall games, dlc so on and so forth?

APB Released just got released on PS4. I don't know if it supports PS4 PRO. On the main site there is a talk about an upcoming engine upgrade.

When you're backing up games to transfer over to Pro, can you choose individually what you want to back up? My game saves can go to PSN cloud but I just want to get PT over to Pro. Very thing else I'll just download when I need it.

Finaika

When you're backing up games to transfer over to Pro, can you choose individually what you want to back up? My game saves can go to PSN cloud but I just want to get PT over to Pro. Very thing else I'll just download when I need it.

I'm curious about this too.

I just need PT.

BigEmil

How is persona 5 on the pro?
Boost mode eliminates any single framerate hiccups Persona 5 on PS4 made which is rare but can happen in those intensive city scenes with lots on the screen though the frame rate drop in that scene is very minor little

philm87

I've played 3 or 4 hours of Just Cause 3 on boost mode and haven't noticed any frame drops at all. Not sure if this is because it's been improved a lot by boost mode or if it's bad performance was exaggerated before as I haven't tried it without.

In many cases there are also additional graphical upgrades like better texture filtering, higher resolution shadow maps and LOD improvements, for example in FFXV that you mentioned. All that is visible on a 1080p TV screen.

The majority of Pro patched games do allow downsampling on 1080p TVs, there are however a couple of black sheep, that don't allow it for some reason. The Last Guardian for example does not allow it. You will however get a very stable framerate in the game, which the standard PS4 does not manage to keep at all times.

Actually TLG is an example of a game the 4K users should consider forcing into 1080p in system settings. The 4K mode is essentially as unstable frame rate wise as base PS4 while the 1080p mode on pro is rock solid 30fps. Having played the game 3 times I can tell you that a stable frame rate hugely adds to the experience and choppiness detracts, in light of the way it controls.

Also your uncharted 4 shot is cracking my head.

I think... there may not be a way to do this. AFAIK you always need to re download games when you system transfer. Could be wrong but the process certainly destroyed my PT :(

A downsampled image is a clearly noticable upgrade. It's the best form of antialiasing, so you get a crisp and clean image.
These are 1080p shots that I took of games running in 4K/checkerboarding modes:

[snipped]

Thanks! Really pulling me into getting one even without getting rid of my standard ps4.

Is that last screenshot uncharted 4? I am totally forgetting how nice the game looks or maybe its the pro's enhancements. I really like the composition on that shot too, good job.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Boost mode eliminates any single framerate hiccups Persona 5 on PS4 made which is rare but can happen in those intensive city scenes with lots on the screen though the frame rate drop in that scene is very minor little

Oh, so it doesn't have an official pro mode then? That sucks..

Flaxh

There's some good discounts in a local store for the PS4 Slim and Pro and I'm considering getting a PS4 now instead of waiting for a possible PS4 Pro Slim + Price drop at the end of the year.

I'm planning on buying a 4k HDR TV this year so the Pro is a no brainer right? I have a 24" FHD Display for now but looking at the OP there's still a lot of improvements at 1080p.

Mr Moose

I backed up P.T. (and some game saves) to a USB stick thing, it let me select what I wanted to back up.

When I got my Pro, I used the ethernet cable method, I think it lets you select what you want to transfer to the Pro.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/11/09/how-to-transfer-your-data-from-ps4-to-ps4-pro/

FHIZ

I wish all devs were Naughty Dog. Uncharted 4 and TLoU on the Pro look soooooo good. TLoU is incredible for a PS3 game.
Well, Naughty Dog is one of Sony's marquee studios and Atlus is a very small JRPG developer who has only made two games in HD at this point. I feel like there's a good chance ND has more people employed than Altus does all together. So while it'd be nice to get pro support, can't exactly blame them if they don't have the resources to do so.

(Honestly, I'm just thankful we got a PS4 version day one and didn't have to wait a year for an updated port or something)

Well, Naughty Dog is one of Sony's marquee studios and Atlus is a very small JRPG developer who has only made two games in HD at this point. I feel like there's a good chance ND has more people employed than Altus does all together. So while it'd be nice to get pro support, can't exactly blame them if they don't have the resources to do so.

(Honestly, I'm just thankful we got a PS4 version day one and didn't have to wait a year for an updated port or something)

Not even referring to just Atlus since I have no interest in Persona at all. Several of Sony's own games aren't patched and will likely never be. Games like Driveclub, Bloodborne, Tearaway, LBP3, The Order, Uncharted Collection (I guess Bluepoint would have to do this one?), GoW3R, etc

Not all Sony devs are created equal.

SimplexPL

Not even referring to just Atlus since I have no interest in Persona at all. Several of Sony's own games aren't patched and will likely never be. Games like Driveclub, Bloodborne, Tearaway, LBP3, The Order, Uncharted Collection (I guess Bluepoint would have to do this one?), GoW3R, etc

Not all Sony devs are created equal.

No to mention one of the worst offenders - Until Dawn. Even in boost mode that game works almost as bad as on standard PS4, i.e. it drops into 20s very often and it is not locket at 30fps, so it actually fluctuates between 20 and 60 all the time.

Schlomo

Actually TLG is an example of a game the 4K users should consider forcing into 1080p in system settings. The 4K mode is essentially as unstable frame rate wise as base PS4 while the 1080p mode on pro is rock solid 30fps.

It is far from rock solid. I can't imagine how bad it's in 4k, but some foliage-heavy areas and some scenes at the end are noticeably under 30 fps at 1080p.

Aragami - Stealth game
...VSync option takes away screen tearing (screen tearing on base PS4 was crazy without VSync, but is still present on PS4 Pro), but also introduces bad jitter when camera panning big open areas/vistas.
Thanks for the update. I looked into this game, and what you're seeing (and posted) doesn't make much sense. From checking footage of the standard PS4 version, there really isn't much tearing...but there's tons in your Pro capture. That doesn't make sense given the power of the machines, the usual removal of tearing Pro accomplishes, and the developer's statement that framerate is "at least 25%" better.

I think what might be going on is that Aragami is unlocked on Pro. Though unstable, it's pretty close to its 30fps cap on standard, so a 25% increase at least could be pushing above the cap. But it's probably not enough to ever get to 60fps, so the game would tear more. This is the only scenario I can envision, though I couldn't find any 60fps videos from the Pro-patched version of the game. But my idea seems possibly supported by the fact that in your (30fps) video, every frame tears for some extended periods.

APB Released just got released on PS4. I don't know if it supports PS4 PRO. On the main site there is a talk about an upcoming engine upgrade.
It doesn't seem to have official support, because Boost Mode appears to help the framerate a little. But frankly it's hard to tell, because server-related lag and hitching is chronic and extreme. I've added the game to the list, but it may come off again later.

I posted some MLB: The Show screenies in its OT from my PS4 Pro for analysis.
Thanks! Along with other contributions, it seems that The Show doesn't change very much from mode to mode. Going from 4K to Enhanced Visuals to High Framerate modes only lowers the resolution and raises the framerate. It just seems like a kind of balance slider, without any other effect. I'm still researching, though.

The division is 1660ti? I was it was native 4K.
Yeah It says The Division is 4k. Not sure if it's native or not. Looks pretty damn good either way.
The change to The Division was due to continuing research by me. While I can't be totally certain about the 1660 size, the final image is definitely reconstructed temporally and not native 4K. It appears to be using a stochastic sampling regime, which I relate to the Insomniac "temporal injection" method...but it may be merely in the same family. You're right that the results are great when still or moving slowly.

Korix (released this week for PSVR) has improved shadows for Pro. Both base and Pro run at 120fps.
Thanks, I added this to the list too!

And this goes on the Boost Mode list, alongside the other games (and more I found myself). Thanks!

Is that last screenshot uncharted 4? I am totally forgetting how nice the game looks or maybe its the pro's enhancements.
Most of the game doesn't look as good. That house, because the space is small, uses much higher-resolution lighting maps than the usual gameplay. The results are tremendous, as you can see. This is maybe a taste of what it might look like for Naughty Dog to be developing for high-end PCs...or the level their PS5 games might hit.

My appreciation to everyone who contributes, and please don't hesitate to let me know if you see any errors or omissions in my posting. Thanks!

I bought a 4 TB Seagate USB 3.0 hard drive to use with my PS4 Pro ahead of firmware v4.5's release. All has been great with the additional space being a relief after the nagging I was getting with my internal 2 TB drive that, for example, a 3 GB patch for a 50 GB game couldn't install because I 'only' had 100 GB free!

However, I've started to notice some issues with recent games installed on the drive... MLB 17 The Show would have long transitional freezes and, today, I found Persona 5's FMV cutscenes were hitching every 5-10 seconds causing the video to freeze and the audio to cut out. It was so annoying, I thought it might be Boost Mode but turning that off made no difference. In the end I moved the game to the system drive (internal) and now the game runs fine. MLB 17 also runs smoother. The weird thing is that loading times appear identical on both drives suggesting that it's not the read speed that is the issue but something else. It's really quite worrying although I can at least swap games around at the moment and play them from the internal drive.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am surprised that Digital Foundry haven't done a test on external drives yet now the PS4 supports them as I think it is worthy of investigation to see if there are any cons to using USB 3.0 over SATAIII.

I bought a 4 TB Seagate USB 3.0 hard drive to use with my PS4 Pro ahead of firmware v4.5's release. All has been great with the additional space being a relief after the nagging I was getting with my internal 2 TB drive that, for example, a 3 GB patch for a 50 GB game couldn't install because I 'only' had 100 GB free!

However, I've started to notice some issues with recent games installed on the drive... MLB 17 The Show would have long transitional freezes and, today, I found Persona 5's FMV cutscenes were hitching every 5-10 seconds causing the video to freeze and the audio to cut out. It was so annoying, I thought it might be Boost Mode but turning that off made no difference. In the end I moved the game to the system drive (internal) and now the game runs fine. MLB 17 also runs smoother. The weird thing is that loading times appear identical on both drives suggesting that it's not the read speed that is the issue but something else. It's really quite worrying although I can at least swap games around at the moment and play them from the internal drive.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am surprised that Digital Foundry haven't done a test on external drives yet now the PS4 supports them as I think it is worthy of investigation to see if there are any cons to using USB 3.0 over SATAIII.
I'm still not sure if this is related to USB 3.0 (the internal HDD uses a SATA-to-USB bridge) or SMR*.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingled_magnetic_recording
http://www.storagereview.com/what_is_shingled_magnetic_recording_smr/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10470...ar-future-speaking-with-seagate-cto-mark-re/2

SMR shouldn't affect reads though... I guess someone needs to test the exact same HDD in 2 different configurations (internal/external use).

I turned on my PS4 PRO to see there is a Uncharted 4 1.22 patch..Ive tried 3 times to download it..after about 300MB it says "Error cant download" yet everything else Ive downloaded downloads just fine its just this patch anyone know what gives

bufkus

This convinced me to get a regular PS4 Slim instead of the Pro. Largely because the only PS4 game I plan on playing for a while is Persona 5, which doesn't appear to benefit much from the Pro.

I'll wait for a Pro 2 or the PS5 for better 4k gaming support.

How much free space do you have? Usually you need more than 100GB to download even the smallest patches (stupid, I know)...

I have plenty of space..over 100gb for sure and I also have my external drive..after about 300MB it just says error cant download..yet all of the PS+ free games no problem downloaded just fine

J4mm1nJ03

I got a Pro the other day and was able to redownload PT using the proxy method outlined here, in case anyone else has a license for it but did not have a chance to transfer it over from their old PS4.

Playing Horizon on this thing has been a great experience, and I look forward to seeing what Kojima can pull off in this engine. Nioh at 1080P60 rather than 720P60 has been appreciated as well.

M_A_C

This convinced me to get a regular PS4 Slim instead of the Pro. Largely because the only PS4 game I plan on playing for a while is Persona 5, which doesn't appear to benefit much from the Pro.

If by "this" you mean the vast majority of folks in this thread really happy with their pro, then congrats on saving a few bucks and missing out on more storage and better hardware.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

2 posts in almost 5 years???

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yeah I dont play MP anyway but the thing is the update wont download..goes to about 300mb than stops..says error cant download so not sure what to do with it

Try deleting your game data and reinstalling it.

I had the same problem with another game (Battlefield 1 I think), deleting and reinstalling the game fixed it.

Fisty

Just noticed Fallout 4 got it's Pro patch, been meaning to get around to it. Any impressions on its performance?

Just noticed Fallout 4 got it's Pro patch, been meaning to get around to it. Any impressions on its performance?

I recently finally finished up the game with the pro-patch enabled. There are few small performance-niggles, but nothing major. The additions (downsampling and draw distance in particular) really add to the experience though. All in all, an improvement.

Fisty

I recently finally finished up the game with the pro-patch enabled. There are few small performance-niggles, but nothing major. The additions (downsampling and draw distance in particular) really add to the experience though. All in all, an improvement.

Yeah just saw DF's article, looks like it still drops frames with boost mode lol

Oh well, at least it'll get rid of the jaggies. Better than nothing I guess

Jacob4815

Mmmh... I'm playing the Dishonored 2 demo, with the latest 1.04 patch installed and the game looks very clean in a 1080p TV with a nice AA.
Have they fixed the supersampling issue? This latest patch was out two weeks ago.

I don't know how the game looked before 1.04, first time I'm playing this game.

Mmmh... I'm playing the Dishonored 2 demo, with the latest 1.04 patch installed and the game looks very clean in a 1080p TV with a nice AA.
Have they fixed the supersampling issue? This latest patch was out two weeks ago.

I don't know how the game looked before 1.04, first time I'm playing this game.

I say try to get some screenshots and post it here and see if some the people in this thread can give their input. If not I can try to get some screenshots up later.

Edit: Here's some Dishonored 2 screenshots using my capture card.

amarectv2017-04-0617-couom.png

amarectv2017-04-0618-eruah.png

Oneself

Dishonored 2's IQ has always been quite impressive on PS4 Pro. If nobody told me it didn't supersample @1080p, I would still think it does.

Top Bottom