• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turok 2 (canceled 360/PS3) Art/Renders/Screens - Feathers, Scales, and Spikes, Oh My!

Rains

Still remember playing the first one on the N64 was groundbreaking at the time gutted to hear this one has been canceled

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Turok '08 was great apart from the controls not quite being where they needed to be and there not being any gore when shooting humans.

I would have been so happy if this eventually released, I really enjoyed the reboot of Turok. It was nice to play something that didn't have zombies in it.

I have a question for Bish:

what was your job on the Turok team ? And what other projects have you worked on in your career ? Are you in the Giant Bomb database ?

D-e-f-

Banned
I suddenly have a strong urge to play Seeds of Evil again. Finally need to get an uncensored copy. Damn you, Germany!

Oh shit, looks good.

Now I want to try the 08 remake, but I hear the PS3 version is really fucked up :(

Forget it exists and hook up your N64 or PC and play the Iguana games instead. Trust me, you will not enjoy knowing you spend roughly eight hours of your life on this shit that people said was "pretty decent". It's not.

Nothing of value was lost with it not getting a sequel.

I love Bish and all, but the product is what it is.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Forget it exists and hook up your N64 or PC and play the Iguana games instead. Trust me, you will not enjoy knowing you spend roughly eight hours of your life on this shit that people said was "pretty decent". It's not.

Nothing of value was lost with it not getting a sequel.

I love Bish and all, but the product is what it is.

Turok is one of my favorite franchises of all time. Turok 08 was far from horrible. Finished it again recently and still had a blast.

The 08 version wasn't terrible. I did play it and beat it twice, but it was nothing compared to the N64 ones. For starters, the weapons were just plain ass boring. I liked the more tribal/nature feel the first ones had going against the military, not being part of it going against a different army. I also liked the environments more. Also, Alien weapon, Fusion Cannon, and Chronoscepter. I mean c'mon, those were awesome guns.

I really liked Turok 2008. Bow and knife executions were great and fun to use. People complained about the science fiction setting that was similar to Aliens, but I really liked it. Only thing that I disliked were bugs. But it was obvious that Turok should have had longer QA phase. Some level design bugs and problems with scripting were awful. Nevertheless I looked forward to see a sequel of it :( But Miki Mouse decided to kill this franchise along with Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned. Maybe someone will create a spiritual successor of this series. Right, Bish?

VariantX

The 08 version wasn't terrible. I did play it and beat it twice, but it was nothing compared to the N64 ones. For starters, the weapons were just plain ass boring. I liked the more tribal/nature feel the first ones had going against the military, not being part of it going against a different army. I also liked the environments more. Also, Alien weapon, Fusion Cannon, and Chronoscepter. I mean c'mon, those were awesome guns.

True, first game had a gun that literally turned its victims into a pillar of ash, soon after which explodes.

Yes, I was. It was going in a great direction when canceled. Btw, those cover mockups weren't part of the package, somebody must have put those together later.

Still, from pain comes something cool. Keep your fingers crossed for me, wouldja

BTW, the hands are pronated. This is one of the biggest problems with paleo-art. The palms on therapods actually face inwards.

legacyzero

Banned
I really liked Turok 2008. Bow and knife executions were great and fun to use. People complained about the science fiction setting that was similar to Aliens, but I really liked it. Only thing that I disliked were bugs. But it was obvious that Turok should have had longer QA phase. Some level design bugs and problems with scripting were awful. Nevertheless I looked forward to see a sequel of it :( But Miki Mouse decided to kill this franchise along with Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned. Maybe someone will create a spiritual successor of this series. Right, Bish?

GOD I hope so.

The only thing I ask is that we get the craziness back from Turok 1 and 2. Crazy guns, crazy enemies, etc.

CHRONOSCEPTOR!

Kydd BlaZe

I can only imagine what this game could've been like with the proper developer at the helm. I have zero faith in Propagada Games, but this concept and art direction are so fucking badass. Somebody really needs to scoop this up and salvage what's left of this.

Jawmuncher

I can only imagine what this game could've been like with the proper developer at the helm. I have zero faith in Propagada Games, but this concept and art direction are so fucking badass. Somebody really needs to scoop this up and salvage what's left of this.

Propaganda Games kept getting better and better. Just like Grin if they had time to mature as a studio i'm sure they would've knocked it out of the park with Turok 2 and Pirates of the Carribean: Armada of the Damned. Though Disney's strict release dates didn't help them.

As for the game being salvaged who knows. Bishoptl said whatever current code that was complied for the game is definitely still at Disney though the rights to Turok went back to the holder. Best case scenario would be this Turok Universe being continued by another dev. Though i'm unsure how that would go.

BTW i am 100% sure these dinosaurs will be waaaay cooler than what we'll get in Jurassic Park 4.

Eh? Apples and Oranges. I hope to god JP4 Dinos don't look like this. :lol

BTW, the hands are pronated. This is one of the biggest problems with paleo-art. The palms on therapods actually face inwards.

I agree that its a big issue, but considering how stylized these Dinosaurs are I'm not sure that I care in this case.

Buttttttt if another Dino game were to be made with more realistic Dinosaurs... yeah, please avoid this.

MCD

I wonder why Capcom won't outsource Dino Crisis to Turok's devs considering they outsourced almost everything.

I know dinoGAF'd support it.

Kydd BlaZe

Propaganda Games kept getting better and better. Just like Grin if they had time to mature as a studio i'm sure they would've knocked it out of the park with Turok 2 and Pirates of the Carribean: Armada of the Damned. Though Disney's strict release dates didn't help them.

As for the game being salvaged who knows. Bishoptl said whatever current code that was complied for the game is definitely still at Disney though the rights to Turok went back to the holder. Best case scenario would be this Turok Universe being continued by another dev. Though i'm unsure how that would go.
Disney needs to get this project back on track ASAP, then. There is a lot of potential here.

Jawmuncher

I wonder why Capcom won't outsource Dino Crisis to Turok's devs considering they outsourced almost everything.

I'm guessing Bionic Commando's performance killed any interest capcom had in outsourcing old IPs. Had BC done well we would have seen a lot more resurrections.

Disney needs to get this project back on track ASAP, then. There is a lot of potential here.

Disney's game section is basically dead at this point. They're mainly into mobile development and licensing their properties to developers.

Kydd BlaZe

Disney's game section is basically dead at this point. They're mainly into mobile development and licensing their properties to developers.
Damn, well that blows. Hopefully another developer will take a crack at the Turok franchise. There have been a lot of successful reboots recently, and Turok could be another one (even though the 2008 game was essentially a reboot).

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
They should have just ported Turok 2 from N64. The this-gen Turok was so broken because you could just grab and rip all the dinosaurs heads open with close quarters combat.

Jawmuncher

It just sucks knowing that even if Turok gets revived this iteration is dead. =(

I hope bows stick around.

Imagine a Last Of Us meets Dinosaurs survival/adventure game..

Yeah sucks this iteration is dead. But I can't help but wonder what we'll see next.
Also we all know Bows will be sticking around. Those things are back in the badass department.

Oh man, that thread is exactly what I needed! Lol I just ordered Jurrasic Park 3D Blu-Ray a couple of days ago too.

I like you Jawmuncher. You're alright. Mind if I add you on XBL/PSN/Steam? You getting an Xbox One/PS4??

Sent you a PM

KeRaSh

Wow, the art looks incredible. I really miss the Turok franchise. The fun I had with the GameCube Turok and Turok Rage Wars... :(

It just sucks knowing that even if Turok gets revived this iteration is dead. =(

They could still take a bunch of ideas from it. Plus, somebody could make it in Cryengine like another guy said. That would be pretty sick, I say.

sadly with Disney this is like hoping Pixar getting good again, you just know it'll not happen.

only chance for us now is if Disney sell IP to someone else.

Or if they licensed somebody else to do it, while still owning the IP.

They could still take a bunch of ideas from it. Plus, somebody could make it in Cryengine like another guy said. That would be pretty sick, I say.

True, but unless the team was run by some of the same people I bet they would want to take it in their own direction. Its too bad though, these Dinosaur designs are really nice.. sort of King Kong meets Monster Hunter. A large improvement over the first game IMO.

Installing Turok 2008 right now.
As a game it's mediocre, but still an ok game. Definitely underrated.
A big plus is that the dinosaurs and their animations look amazing.

Really hope we get to see another game in the franchise.
Imagine it using Frostbite or Cryengine or perhaps Unreal Engine 4.
One can dream.

Sdoots

Turok 08 was fun as hell at times. There were a lot of things that held it back, an instant kill knife that went into a small cutscene-style thing when you pulled the trigger next to another player in multiplayer almost single handedly ruined what was otherwise fucking fantastic. Co-op mode had matchmaking support, and was a fun Left 4 Dead-ish romp through dinosaur and soldier infested jungles, so that fared better. Single player was hit or miss, some missions were a blast, others, well, others just sucked. It was a game very much hurt and helped by it's design choices in equal measure.

Super bummed about Turok 2, seeing this just makes it hurt again. :c

Seriously, if you all ever want to have a fun co-op experience, consider picking up Turok 08, and doing a private game with your friends. It's dumb, not super deep, but it'll make you smile.

Turok 08 was fun as hell at times. There were a lot of things that held it back, an instant kill knife that went into a small cutscene-style thing when you pulled the trigger next to another player in multiplayer almost single handedly ruined what was otherwise fucking fantastic. Co-op mode had matchmaking support, and was a fun Left 4 Dead-ish romp through dinosaur and soldier infested jungles, so that fared better. Single player was hit or miss, some missions were a blast, others, well, others just sucked. It was a game very much hurt and helped by it's design choices in equal measure.

Super bummed about Turok 2, seeing this just makes it hurt again. :c

Seriously, if you all ever want to have a fun co-op experience, consider picking up Turok 08, and doing a private game with your friends. It's dumb, not super deep, but it'll make you smile.

Choose your platform wisely though. 360 or PS3 would be the way to go.
PC-port only has emulated controller support. A broken one. Can't change the sensitivity unless you fancy some .ini editing. What else? The fov can't be changed (there's one console command available for this, but it has to be entered at the start of every level and it breaks the aiming mechanic which ruins everything.) If you hook your computer up to a tv it's ok, but in front of a monitor you're in for a headache.

Just plowed through every single .ini file and tried to fix the FOV-issues without success.

I managed to come across some modding tools which allow you to decompress .upk files and I just found an engine file containing a function called "SetFOV" which locks the field of view using a boolean. I bet that if we could change the hex value of the file for that line so its set to false we could compress and replace the original .upk file and then maybe set the FOV to whatever we want using the .ini files.

HEX editing is beyond my knowledge though so if someone in here is up for the task let me know.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Yes, I was. It was going in a great direction when canceled. Btw, those cover mockups weren't part of the package, somebody must have put those together later.

Still, from pain comes something cool. Keep your fingers crossed for me, wouldja
stage 1 incoming

Top Bottom