• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotrock

Banned
Hope you enjoyed your buggy software these past several months losers, more than happy to have jumped in tonight with the GM.

Rootbeer

Banned
Got the Mario stickers. purchased the $1.99 Star Wars stickers as a tester. You only get 21 stickers. They are animated though.

On LINE the Star Wars sticker packs have 40. Just sayin'

Anyways, as happy as I am to see them improve iMessage/Messages, most people I know have already moved on to things like LINE or even Discord for the better features. And because they are more platform agnostic.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I'm probably not even going to bother updating my 6S Plus from iOS 10 beta, because come Friday when my Jet Black 128GB iPhone 7 arrives, this piece of shit 16GB is going to Gazelle. iOS 10 is amazing though.

-d0hv

toohectic

you can turn off the double press thing. I've got my 6s set for a single press.

What's this "double press"? I assumed we just press the home button to wake (leaving your finger there momentarily for TouchID authentication) and the phone unlocks. Is it different now? Or is it different only for non Touch ID phones that used to require a swipe?

Ashhong

Posting from the beta thread

Man... I couldn't get it to work in the beta and I STILL can't in the GM. I'm on an iPhone 6 and it still makes me press home a second time.

That's definitely not normal. You should try either setting up TouchID again or setting up your phone as new.

I recently switched from a 6 to a 6S and the speed of Touch ID on the latter feels near-instantaneous in comparison when it comes to unlocking. They should let you chose between either unlocking with just touch or with the button press as well when setting up the phone after the software update to iOS 10.

This is a great idea. They already have you do all the TouchID stuff. No brainer

What's this "double press"? I assumed we just press the home button to wake (leaving your finger there momentarily for TouchID authentication) and the phone unlocks. Is it different now? Or is it different only for non Touch ID phones that used to require a swipe?

Holding your finger on TouchID no longer unlocks your phone. Well, it does unlock the phone but it does not enter the home screen if that makes sense. You have to tap again after your TouchID registers in order to actually go into the phone. This is a setting you can change.

Jeffrey

so w/e happened to the 'touch id' features of ios10 being added to non touch id devices like older iphones and all ipads.

Sure would be nice to 'clear all' notifications...

DarkWish

They really should package those separately like how google handles google play apps on android, letting them do more frequent updates and not have them tied to annual/biannual releases.
That's exactly what they're doing. A lot of the stock apps such as Mail, Maps, Calendar, etc. are now downloadable via the App Store. So that means you can delete them as well. The Home app is a new stock app with iOS 10 and they just pushed out a version 2.0 update on the App Store for it. So they are able to do this now... whether they will or wait for the bigger iOS releases to do so remains to be seen.

TimFL

That's exactly what they're doing. A lot of the stock apps such as Mail, Maps, Calendar, etc. are now downloadable via the App Store. So that means you can delete them as well. The Home app is a new stock app with iOS 10 and they just pushed out a version 2.0 update on the App Store for it. So they are able to do this now... whether they will or wait for the bigger iOS releases to do so remains to be seen.
Deleting stock apps merely hides them. They still have to be updated via the OS updates.

DarkWish

Deleting stock apps merely hides them. They still have to be updated via the OS updates.
They updated the Home app via the App Store and that's a new pre-installed app. I realize that's not 100% the same as something like the Mail app, but it still seems possible to me. Or maybe I'm totally wrong. It was just my assumption.

Ashhong

They updated the Home app via the App Store and that's a new pre-installed app. I realize that's not 100% the same as something like the Mail app, but it still seems possible to me. Or maybe I'm totally wrong. It was just my assumption.

That's interesting, are you sure they updated the Home app?

Well uninstalling definitely doesn't actually uninstall the app. But maybe they also made it so that apps can be updated through the Store now. I sure hope so.

Holding your finger on TouchID no longer unlocks your phone. Well, it does unlock the phone but it does not enter the home screen if that makes sense. You have to tap again after your TouchID registers in order to actually go into the phone. This is a setting you can change.

Where is the setting?

Fliesen

Messages App Store is pretty cool.

well, there's bound to be plenty of garbage, though.
IMDB added "iMessage" functionality. turns out it's "search for movie" -> "tap movie" and then it pastes the movie name and IMDB showtimes link into iMessage.

it's great for gif keyboards. certainly a better API than them being a 3rd party keyboard.

well, there's bound to be plenty of garbage, though.
IMDB added "iMessage" functionality. turns out it's "search for movie" -> "tap movie" and then it pastes the movie name and IMDB showtimes link into iMessage.

it's great for gif keyboards. certainly a better API than them being a 3rd party keyboard.

I was thinking, this is great functionality for GIF keyboard. Better than a third party keyboard for sure

Pixels

GM still feels pretty buggy in spots. That's pretty typical the last few years though. Custom keyboards are still buggy years later.

So, worth installing this on a 5S? How about a 5?

My general rule (that's always held up) is don't install a version of iOS that's more than two releases past the original version that came with the iPhone. So the iPhone 5 came with iOS 6, so I wouldn't install past iOS 8 on it. The iPhone 5s came with 7.0, so 9.0 is the last release I'd put on it.

Installing iOS past two releases from what came with the phone is asking for slowness. Though they did improve backwards compatibility starting with 9.0, so you may be able to stretch it to 3 versions at this point.

Jeffrey

its the usual.

main ios versions are always kinda buggy on not the newest iphone.

Wait until 10.1 or 10.2 to fix.

Jonogunn

I just watched a documentary on Steve jobs and apple. Damn. What a terrible person and company lol

That said I can't wait for iOS 10

CraigMcD

That's a completely different app not owned by Apple.

Bigfoot

My general rule (that's always held up) is don't install a version of iOS that's more than two releases past the original version that came with the iPhone. So the iPhone 5 came with iOS 6, so I wouldn't install past iOS 8 on it. The iPhone 5s came with 7.0, so 9.0 is the last release I'd put on it.

Installing iOS past two releases from what came with the phone is asking for slowness. Though they did improve backwards compatibility starting with 9.0, so you may be able to stretch it to 3 versions at this point.
iOS 9 works great on an iPhone 5 so 3 releases isn't a stretch anymore. I'm getting a 7 next month so I won't bother with iOS 10 on my 5.

"Hey Siri, what time are my alarms set for tomorrow morning?"

" You have no alarm set for tomorrow morning. You do have an alarm set for 6 AM. "

Why....

TimFL

I didn't get any home app update nor do the apple apps have any versoning on the app store.

Are you sure it was the stock home app you got an update for?

Also, where did my gif iMessage app go? It was there shortly after I installed the GM last thursday. And how can you guys install new iMessage apps? I only see the default 4 apps that were there during beta days.

I really hope Proactive is better this time around. It was pretty much useless on iOS 9. They keep saying they don't need to do server-based machine learning to do Google Now type of stuff; that's fantastic, but let's see the results.

And how can you guys install new iMessage apps? I only see the default 4 apps that were there during beta days.

AFAIK the iMessage app store doesn't launch until the official release tomorrow.

robotrock

Banned
I joined the beta program and installed the GM today and tons of iMessage junk was up. Several games, too many damn stickers, you name it.

Rated-G

That's definitely not normal. You should try either setting up TouchID again or setting up your phone as new.

Actually, now Touch ID is completely borked for me. I've always had problems where it randomly just will not work, even though I've done the recommended thing of setting all five finger profiles using the same digit.

But just now the store stopped recognizing my finger print, so I did a Power/Home button restart. It was still acting up after restarting so I deleted all my finger profiles and tried to re enter and now it's just saying my finger prints can't be read period.

EDIT: Well, never mind, it just randomly started working, can even unlock my phone now.

robotrock

Banned
You can drag them from the picker to overlay them freely on someone's message.

Whoa that's an actual game changer. Looks super cool too. I just tried it with a still Super Mario Sticker, gonna try it with an animated sticker now

edit: dragging an animated sticker on an iPhone 6+ is slow and makes me sad

I tried to install the GM using iTunes and got an error halfway through the install. Had to do a restore. Now 30 minutes later I am wondering if its even worth the trouble trying again or just waiting until tomorrow night for the official.

toohectic

So if pressing it once doesn't take you to the home screen, then where does it take you? Does it leave it on the unlock screen so that you can review your notifications? That sounds nice, since I disliked missing them before and having to go to Notification Center to see what was missed. I figured it would take you directly to the home screen if there were no notifications to review though. Is that how it works now?

For anyone that has been using iOS 10 for a while, is this a welcome change? Does it feel like a good choice now that you are used to it?

Rated-G

Can stickers be seen on none ios10 devices when sent? I know fireworks and other effects don't.

When sending to another iMessage user, they get sent as non animating images. And are blown up a bit, as opposed to being placed wherever you put them and stuff. I've yet to see what happens when you send to someone who isn't on iMessage in general but I'd imagine it's pretty similar to that.

Fliesen

They show up as just an image. No overlay

When sending to another iMessage user, they get sent as non animating images. And are blown up a bit, as opposed to being placed wherever you put them and stuff. I've yet to see what happens when you send to someone who isn't on iMessage in general but I'd imagine it's pretty similar to that.

Whoa that's an actual game changer. Looks super cool too. I just tried it with a still Super Mario Sticker, gonna try it with an animated sticker now

edit: dragging an animated sticker on an iPhone 6+ is slow and makes me sad

same goes for these finger drawings / heartbeat thingies.
they just arrive as a static image. iOS 9 can't properly process these kinds of messages, so i guess there's a 'fallback' option that just displays a static placeholder jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom