• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite swamp/marsh/bog areas in video games

Fou-Lu

I find swamp areas oddly cozy and relaxing, even when they are spooky and filled with undead. From Satorl Marsh in Xenoblade to Fallow Mire in Dragon Age Inquisition, I just love swamp environments.

What are some of your favourites GAF?

zerotol

Banned
Been awhile since I played it, but Point Lookout dlc for Fallout 3 was good. Wasn’t there a quest where you travel through a swamp while hallucinating the whole time?

Been awhile since I played it, but Point Lookout dlc for Fallout 3 was good. Wasn't there a quest where you travel through a swamp while hallucinating the whole time?

Far Harbor was legit the best area of Fallout 3. It felt like a different team entirely was in charge of that map and its quests. Even the new weapons and armor were more creative.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
sWjrC1r.jpg

Great Halo map or the greatest Halo map?

LewieP

That bit in RE4 with all the wire bombs. I think it's a section or two before the fight with the lake monster.

DJIzana

Might be the only one who says this but Hydra Marsh from Chrono Cross. I dunno... haven't played many games where I've found a marsh / bog environment that really stood out to me.

tumblr_nye222hUNq1rvenmoo1_400.gif

Dragon Age INQ is a good choice... was one of my favorite areas, too, and a good argument for why day/night/weather cycles may not always be better (i.e. if you're only going to spend a couple hours in an area... I'd much rather have a single 'perfect' atmosphere than a random chance at contrasting atmospheres). Obviously, Witcher 3, too.

I want to say Swamp of Sorrows in WoW.... But I'm biased because my Orc Rogue kinda lived there for 2-3 weeks during Beta 2 when the Level cap was.... Lv39, or 45 I think it was. Probably the Lv45 phase (cuz Lv39 was probably Scarlet Monastery and then I guess 45 must have been the Hakkar Temple phase). Spent a really long time always leveling and using it as a staging grounds to explore the nearby Alliance lands.

I hated Dustwallow Marsh though, even though I love ports and ogres. The sky was too clear and visible through the burnt tree. Something about too much open sky ruined the atmosphere, the way a good swamp kinda smothers and envelopes you (see SoS).

Even the dwarven Wetlands were better, and I wasn't fond of there either after the first two awesome Dwarf zones.

MGS V has a small but pretty cool swamp, too... Looks great when it's raining, I like to do sort of G.I.Joe 'Musk Rat' approaches there:
- https://youtu.be/yH6SauFZfmE?t=918
- https://youtu.be/LtlEfiTXt1I?t=1613

MGS 3 though probably had one of the best 'presented' sort of swamp experiences though (I think that one still swamp, on account of the flora). I mean, alligator head, the flying overhead search lights, shooting and eat fish and fruit, and then swimming into the next area to snipe The End early :(

Bugmuck/the swamp in Secret of Evermore is visually interesting and the bosses are actually fun to fight, provided you've grinded enough to throw the spear at them from a safe distance. And also the game doesn't crash.

gfs_40377_2_12.jpg

TheSun

It may not be very popular, but I really liked Jet Force Gemini's bog planet; Tawfret.
The music that David Wise did is seriously my favorite creepy music.
Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WoTnOVyZ7U

Scared the hell out of me when I was a baby. That atmosphere as your landing, and everything gets dark and creepy.

Terrorblot

DKC2's Krem Quay

2WYeNOV.gif

with stages featuring David Wise's glorious composition Bayou Boogie

0.jpg

THIS. So many great levels in this one, and the music was so so good. The Rollercoaster level and Bramble Blast will forever be in my mind. Plus the weird phantom kremlin with the AH AH AH laugh that throws all sorts of things at you including BEES!

HeatBoost

As someone who has spent the better part of his life living in swamps and swamp adjacent areas, NONE OF THEM

please someone wake me from this muggy disgusting nightmare

Top Bottom