• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol

My french isn't good enough anyways. :p

Andrew Scheer's French isn't good enough to lead a national party either, but that's not stopping him!

Nathan Cullen is my rockstar NDP candidate. I believe he will run for leadership again in another 5-7 years, he's just biding his time. He played it very smart by staying out of this race, Singh will likely win and Trudeau will possibly win a second term.

His biggest problem is his French. He's got to work on that.

I think Cullen missed his best chance. He would've been the perfect successor for Layton -- he played the happy warrior role really well, plus I think he could've won over a lot of Liberal voters through his electoral cooperation promise. Even if the Liberal Party wouldn't have gone for it, it would've put a lot of pressure on them as the third place party, and made him seem like a person who was focused on beating Harper. I get why they went with Mulcair -- they thought he could consolidate their Quebec gains -- but I think they made the wrong choice.

Denis Lebel is going to be leaving politics soon. His riding is really interesting because he only won in his riding by like 5% in 2015. He only got like 33% of the vote in his riding in the 2015 federal election. Denis Lebel riding may end up being the first riding to flip in a byelection since the 2015 federal election. The riding may flip to the bloc or liberals in a federal byelection.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ts-up-intriguing-quebec-byelection-hbert.html

I don't think byelections mean that much in the big scheme of things, but this is still an interesting test for Scheer and whoever wins the NDP leadership. I know that Hebert thinks it's a longshot for the Liberals, but if they're the only federal (and federalist) party with a Quebecois/French-speaking leader, that has to help them out. And, as she notes, if the BQ leader doesn't even run here, that'll set an interesting tone for 2019.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Either of those outcomes are far worse than what we currently have, not to mention unlikely given the BQ are dead in the water and Scheer seems poised to isolate moderates from supporting their current platform.
I mostly don't want the Liberals to go back to being "Canada's natural governing party" for the next couple of decades. I'd be content with flare ups of regionalism if it means blowing up the current electoral map.

lupinko

Hey CanadaPoliGAF, I'm going to try to apply for this CA Federal Government job to replace my current JP Federal Government job.

I qualify for everything in spades but I have only one current weakness, and that's my Japanese which isn't pro on that level yet.

But I decided just apply for it right? The starting wage is like $10k more than my current (which is the highest for my kind of job) and this new job can go up to $100k.

It makes best use of my skills, talent and experience.

I guess I shouldn't take that supposed language roadblock to be an issue, it's not stopping CPC or NDP leadership right? Lol

Mr.Mike

Who serves as Trump-whisperer to Justin Trudeau? Brian Mulroney, of course!

Since earlier this spring, Mulroney has been offering Liberals advice privately and publicly on their upcoming NAFTA renegotiation and been helping them navigate the narrows, whirlpools and white water rapids which come with dealing with the Donald Trump administration.

Trudeau has quite smartly used the former Progressive Conservative PM’s experience from negotiating the original bilateral trade deal and his friendship with Trump and his Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross.

Enter informal advisor Mulroney, who says he was approached by a Trudeau team which had put “all its eggs in Hillary (Clinton’s) basket and woke up the next morning and realized they knew no one on the other side.”

Mulroney said the Trudeau government was not alone in the centre-left expecting a Clinton win and “wanted it to happen in the worst way.”

On the coming trade negotiations, which can begin in August, Mulroney expects a Trump administration to be tough and resilient, bringing to the table its enormous economic strength, seeking their slice of the pie.

But he is sure Canada will hold its own and expects an enhanced and modernized trade agreement because it is something the U.S., Canada and Mexico all need.

He believes the Trudeau government is ready. He is impressed with Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland. And he believes Ottawa will be able to say ‘no’ during negotiations when it must.

In the meantime, he has counselled the Trudeau team to keep their heads down and their mouths shut and “prepare, prepare, prepare.”

As Mulroney says, there is no Conservative way or Liberal way to negotiate such a trade deal, and that is a message taken up by Canada’s premiers. They have made the pilgrimage to the U.S. capital to push the Canadian case, and this teamwork in a business marked by partisanship should serve this country well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So the death of the American tourist who was in NK brought up the fact that NK has had a Canadian in custody for a bit less than 2 years now and, assuming Canada has been negotiating for his release, I wonder if anything has changed given today's events.

CazTGG

I dunno, I think Ryan is tied to the bruhaha too, it's going to be Pres Hatch if anything.

How do we not know Hatch or Tillerson isn't in on this too?

rsz_fs14_2724.jpg

lupinko

Matthis (likely) committed war crimes so...he's still pretty bad by all accounts.

Current officer
1 Vice President Mike Pence (R)
2 Speaker of the House of Representatives Paul Ryan (R)
3 President pro tempore of the Senate Orrin Hatch (R)
4 Secretary of State Rex Tillerson (R)
5 Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin (R)
6 Secretary of Defense James Mattis (I)
7 Attorney General Jeff Sessions (R)
8 Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke (R)
9 Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue (R)
10 Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross (R)
11 Secretary of Labor Alex Acosta (R)
12 Secretary of Health and Human Services Tom Price (R)
13 Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson (R)
– Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao (R)[a]
14 Secretary of Energy Rick Perry (R)
15 Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos (R)
16 Secretary of Veterans Affairs David Shulkin (I)
17 Secretary of Homeland Security John F. Kelly (I)
^ Not a natural-born citizen (acquired U.S. citizenship by naturalization)
and thus ineligible for the Presidency.

Dammit, Gen. Kelly is at the bottom. :(

Azzanadra

Hey CanadaPoliGAF, I'm going to try to apply for this CA Federal Government job to replace my current JP Federal Government job.

I qualify for everything in spades but I have only one current weakness, and that's my Japanese which isn't pro on that level yet.

But I decided just apply for it right? The starting wage is like $10k more than my current (which is the highest for my kind of job) and this new job can go up to $100k.

I guess I shouldn't take that supposed language roadblock to be an issue, it's not stopping CPC or NDP leadership right? Lol

No harm in applying! I put French on my resume even though I can barely speak/understand it as I took it all the way through high school and got the stupid certificate.

Though I must say I envy you, I myself lust for a government job that pays 6-figures, especially since I dropped to what they call a "useless humanities degree" after hating my life in Computer Science T_T

lupinko

No harm in applying! I put French on my resume even though I can barely speak/understand it as I took it all the way through high school and got the stupid certificate.

Though I must say I envy you, I myself lust for a government job that pays 6-figures, especially since I dropped to what they call a "useless humanities degree" after hating my life in Computer Science T_T

Thanks! I've been stressing over that among other things lately.

I would love to work for our government.

Foreign buyers are targeting Montreal now. It would be nice if the Feds did their fucking job, and stopped selling the country to China.

The calgary herald recently posted this article on PACs in Alberta.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...at-pacs-are-corrupting-the-democratic-process

Edit:Derek fildebrandt just annouced the creation of another PAC just now.
https://twitter.com/UnitedLibertyAB/status/878067398867169280

Weird for them to call out their own party. Alberta is going to swing blue so hard next election. Its going to be awful.

mo60

Foreign buyers are targeting Montreal now. It would be nice if the Feds did their fucking job, and stopped selling the country to China.

Weird for them to call out their own party. Alberta is going to swing blue so hard next election. Its going to be awful.

Eh. It's not a guarantee Alberta swings blue really hard in the next election even with how bad the AB NDP is polling right now. The right has to figure out how to be progressive enough for centrist voters without pissihg off their base.They pretty much have to define the ballot box issue before the AB NDP does. They can not rely on the ballot box issue being the economy in 2019.They are also lot of voters that are meh about the AB NDP but don't really like any of the conservative parties right now and the UCP idea right now. These voters are struggling to find a political option right now.

Also this is the list of some of the Alberta based PACs created since 2015.

Alberta Together(Centrist leaning PAC who's executive director is a former Alberta PC president)
United Liberty(Right wing libertarian PAC?)
Alberta Can't Wait(right leaning PAC)
Unite Alberta(right leaning PAC)
Alberta Victory Fund(right leaning PAC who's focused on pretty much building the United Conservative Party)
Alberta Advantage(right leaning PAC?)
Alberta Fund(right leaning PAC created by Jean)
Jean for Premier(I'm not joking there is actually a PAC named Jean for Premier).

Eh. It's not a guarantee Alberta swings blue really hard in the next election even with how bad the AB NDP is polling right now. The right has to figure out how to be progressive enough for centrist voters without pissihg off their base.They pretty much have to define the ballot box issue before the AB NDP does. They can not rely on the ballot box issue being the economy in 2019.They are also lot of voters that are meh about the AB NDP but don't really like any of the conservative parties right now and the UCP idea right now. These voters are struggling to find a political option right now.

General atmosphere in Calgary is anti-NDP. People are blaming them for anything and everything. I work on/near the University campus downtown, which is one of the more 'liberal' minded areas. If NDP plays hardball and cuts off BC I could see them maybe getting re-elected. Maybe.

Also this is the list of some of the Alberta based PACs created since 2015.

Alberta Together(Centrist leaning PAC who's executive director is a former Alberta PC president)
United Liberty(Right wing libertarian PAC?)
Alberta Can't Wait(right leaning PAC)
Unite Alberta(right leaning PAC)
Alberta Victory Fund(right leaning PAC who's focused on pretty much building the United Conservative Party)
Alberta Advantage(right leaning PAC?)
Alberta Fund(right leaning PAC created by Jean)
Jean for Premier(I'm not joking there is actually a PAC named Jean for Premier).

I take it my jab at the BC liberals was too subtle?

mo60

Alberta needs to ban PACs outright.

Or the current election laws need to strengthen a bit more to prevent PACs from having a huge influence on Alberta politics.The center and right shouldn't be creating PACs like crazy right now.

Never screen yourself out beforehand especially because most of the gov't postings are pretty broad. I have been successful on nearly all of mine (mainly internal) even when I have been light on some experience areas. Just make sure you fully state how you meet the essential qualifications and let your interview/test take care of the rest.

Good luck you, I have enjoyed my 10 years with the government immensely and would recommend them to anyone.

Mr.Mike

Tom Mulcair raises red flags after Canadian sniper breaks record in Iraq

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair is foregoing the celebration and raising red flags following reports that a Canadian sniper in Iraq shattered the world record for the longest confirmed kill.

In a letter Friday to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Mulcair said the incident "seriously calls into question your government's claim that Canadian forces are not involved in direct combat in Iraq."

"Will you now confirm that Canadian troops have engaged in ground combat since your government took office?" he wrote.

"Why have you not declared that the current military operation is now a combat mission? Why has there been no debate in the House of Commons regarding this change of mission?"

Opposition parties have repeatedly accused the Liberals of misleading the public about the nature of Canada's mission in Iraq by claiming that Canadian troops are not in combat.

That includes revelations three years ago that Canadian troops were calling in airstrikes on ISIS targets, and last November when it was revealed they could shoot in situations other than self-defence.

But National Defence spokesman Daniel Le Bouthillier stood by past assertions Friday that Canadian soldiers are not engaged in combat in Iraq, despite the record-breaking shot.

"Members of the Canadian Special Operations Task Force do not accompany leading combat elements, but enable the Iraqi security forces who are in a tough combat mission," he said.

"This takes the form of advice in planning for their operations and assistance to defeat (ISIS) through the use of coalition resources."

The latest controversy comes as the clock ticks down on the current mission in Iraq, whose mandate is set to expire next week.

The Liberals have said Canada will maintain a presence in Iraq and the fight against ISIS, though officials say no decision has been made on whether to extend the current mission or change it.

Canada has about 200 special forces operating in northern Iraq, including inside Mosul, supported by a combat hospital, a helicopter detachment, a military surveillance plane and an air-to-air refuelling aircraft.

Mr.Mike

Free trade between provinces? That would be anarchy: Neil Macdonald

Canadians, after all, can't be allowed to just run around Canada willy-nilly, buying whatever they want

If you're on vacation abroad somewhere this summer and find yourself explaining to people over dinner what makes Canada so unique and special, use the story about Gerard Comeau and his beer run back in 2012. There is no more Canadian story than that.

Comeau is a Canadian who, looking for the best bargain he could, drove to a Canadian town a few miles from his home in Canada, bought 14 cases of beer and three bottles of liquor from Canadian beer and liquor stores, then returned to his home. In Canada.

A squad of plainclothes Mounties with binoculars, it turned out, had him under surveillance, according to his lawyer. On his way home from the Canadian town to his Canadian home, he was intercepted and handed a ticket for $292.50 by uniformed Canadian officers who then seized all the alcohol he'd purchased.

His Canadian crime: his beer run had crossed one of Canada's internal borders. He'd driven from New Brunswick into Quebec. As far as New Brunswick was concerned, that made him a smuggler.

Sixteen other people were charged that day in the same sting operation, but Comeau had more spine than most and fought the ticket. Some smart lawyers from Ontario and Western Canada got involved, and – my god, I love it when things like this happen – he won.

A New Brunswick judge ruled that the province's law against importing alcohol from other provinces violated the Constitution Act, Sec. 121, which states: All Articles of the Growth, Produce, or Manufacture of any one of the Provinces shall, from and after the Union, be admitted free into each of the other Provinces.

The ruling shocked New Brunswick and most of the other provinces, which consider Sec. 121 to be one of the most horrible and un-Canadian sentences in the Canadian Constitution, something that should be ignored at all costs.

But it isn't just alcohol. It's our whole system. Modern Canada is built on protectionism. And not just our high wall of taxes and tariffs and duties and sneaky little bureaucratic barriers at our international borders, but a whole cadre of other rules impeding trade and labour and commerce between our provinces, and even our municipalities.

Canadians probably don't realize it, and might not even care if they did, but they are told every day what they are allowed to buy, and how much they have to pay, and where they can work and where they can't.

Our interprovincial trade barriers, as they are known, are ridiculous. I asked Daniel Schwanen, an expert on the subject at the C.D. Howe Institute, if there is any economic good in them:

"No. The answer is no."

Our web of protectionism makes it difficult for the federal government to negotiate with other countries. It costs Canadian businesses the chance to participate in the nearly trillion-dollars of U.S. government business created to fight the economic disaster in 2009. Tit for tat and all that.

Politicians will sheepishly admit the foolishness of these barriers, if pressed. In fact, a few years ago, the provinces got together to discuss and just recently, they bravely produced something called – wait for this – the Canadian Free Trade Agreement. That we would even need such a thing is nuts.

Think about that title. Canadians need an official treaty to trade freely with each other. Except, of course, we don't trade freely at all.

"It's a joke," says Schwisberg, who is relishing his chance at the Supreme Court this December. "Again, follow the money. Eighty per cent of the market is excluded in that agreement."

Needless to say, alcohol is exempted.

Any Canadian who wants to do business in any province must still register separately in that province, hire a representative, pay a fee and submit paperwork. Regulations on, for example, trucking, are not harmonized.

Protectionist unions see to it that workers from one province cannot cross over and work in another. An Ontario doctor's prescription will almost certainly be rejected in a Quebec pharmacy.

And of course government-overseen cartels called marketing boards set prices we pay for dairy, poultry and maple syrup.

Municipalities tell you what taxis you can or cannot summon to your home.

Ah, the Comeau case. Schwisberg says it could change everything – knock down all the barriers — and it might. It depends on how willing the high justices are to upend our entrenched statism.

The provinces will point to a 1921 case in which the Canadian high court of the day ruled that Sec. 121 really only means goods can move between provinces "free of duty."

Schwisberg will argue that in fact, the British House of Lords, which passed the British North America Act in 1867, explicitly rejected a draft using the term "of duty," and chose instead the untrammeled word "free."

He's right, and he has expert research to back him up. The trial judge in New Brunswick was persuaded. So, evidently, was the province's court of appeals.

But the real question to be decided by the Supremes is whether free trade is un-Canadian. And that's another matter.

Sean C

The degree to which the Judiciary Committee of the Privy Council tried to write Section 121 out of the Constitution is a longstanding judicial error that really needs to be corrected.

Silexx

I actually like Andrew Coyne. 😅

I'm proud to think of Coyne as a douche. lol

Yeah. I think he's closer to Bill Maher than he would like to admit.

I think it depends on the issue. Clearly, both Bill and Andrew probably agree on the "political correctness run amok", but Coyne is way to the left of Maher when it comes to things like Islam. Plus, Andrew isn't an anti-vaxxer or anti-GMO so I think they really only align on one specific thing and that's about it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He's like a moderate Libertarian, so as far as I know (not that I know much about his personal beliefs), he's not off in la la land. Still, most of the time when he disagrees with Chantal Hebert, you know he's almost always on the wrong side of the argument. lol

Boogie

Coyne is a smart, witty, grumpy curmudgeon of a non-partisan conservative commentator, and I absolutely adore him for it.

If you can't appreciate him even a little bit, you are either a stiff, uncompromising ideologue/partisan yourself, who has no time for anyone with different views from your own, or you just don't have good taste in the written word.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Coyne is a douche and his terrible equivocating sniveling non-apology for that appropriation prize bullshit should have made that clear to everyone.

Coyne is obnoxiously smarmy and contrarian about everything, but I don't think that whatever part he played in the appropriation prize nonsense stood out as especially bad. Pretty much everyone, on all sides of that argument, came out looking worse.

Coyne is a smart, witty, grumpy curmudgeon of a non-partisan conservative commentator, and I absolutely adore him for it.

If you can't appreciate him even a little bit, you are either a stiff, uncompromising ideologue/partisan yourself, who has no time for anyone with different views from your own, or you just don't have good taste in the written word.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

His response to Peter Mackay's retirement a few years ago was incredible. And he's occasionally capable of writing some amazing columns. I think the problem with him is that, after decades and decades of writing for public consumption, it's pretty obvious where he's going to fall on any given issue. He's eloquent, and he hasn't descended into Conrad Black-ian self-parody, but compared to someone like Chantal Hebert, who's been writing for about the same amount of time, it's clear that he's running on fumes.

On a totally different note, two interesting photos out of Pride today. First, Trudeau hit a trifecta:

He's wearing Pride/Eid socks!

Secondly:

That's Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown leading the ONPC delegation at Toronto Pride. It's not the first time he's done it, but it's interesting that he's making such an effort to distance himself from his socially conservative background. And it makes Andrew Scheer look pretty bad, since I'm doubtful that he took part in any Saskatchewan Pride events this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom