• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Sayad

But it seems like no one is buying it, and no one cares.

I feel like we are in the Denial stage
We've been there with SFV, launch isn't everything.

Post release support, contents and the game's FGC presence depends on active user base. Even when Capcom aim for 2 million launch, they have another completely different number for the amount of active players that make post launch support viable. MvCI tanked hard, but we don't know if three to six months from now, the number of active players who will be there for the DLC isn't going to be enough for Capcom to keep supporting the game.

Edit: I feel like I made this same exact post at least 10 times, between SFV and MvCI(maybe even Monster Hunter) on Gaf and other places. ;p

MrCarter

With Cammy’s castle releasing tomorrow, there are only 10 characters left who don’t have their own stage. Here’s what I’d eventually like to see:
  • Ken - His classic SFII stage, updated to be a nice yacht at an upscale marina.
  • R. Mika - A wrestling dojo with women practicing in a ring in the background, others lifting weights, and Yoko Harmageddon riding back and forth on her golf cart.
  • F.A.N.G - An opium den-looking mad science lair with poison concoctions in various containers in the background. The air is filled with purple fog.
  • Necalli - The altar of an ancient Aztec pyramid, with constellations visible in the night sky. There are overgrown plants, snakes, and statues and carvings made in Necalli’s image.
  • Ibuki - A remake of her Ninja Village stage from New Generation.
  • Juri - The exterior of “The Spider’s Web,” a nightclub in the Gangnam District of Seoul, with her motorcycle parked out front. Neon signs illuminate the background.
  • Urien - A remake of his Third Strike stage, as rumored. (I’d personally prefer a Greek Illuminati stage, but X-Kira was right about Cammy’s stage coming next, so he’s probably right about this.)
  • Kolin - A shrine built in Gill’s honor at the site where Kolin first encountered him. It’s snowing heavily here, with the background practically being all white.
  • Ed - The headquarters of Neo-Shadaloo, resembling a high tech Star Trek bridge, with the three characters from his character story performing various tasks in the background.
  • Menat - A gypsy barge floating down the Nile River, filled with lots of mystic artifacts that Menat has acquired in her travels. You’ll pass pyramids, camels, and crocodiles as the boat moves on.
I really think stages help bring the characters to life.

Some great ideas. Menat and Juri ones are my fave.

What times are the costumes dropping?
With Cammy’s castle releasing tomorrow, there are only 10 characters left who don’t have their own stage. Here’s what I’d eventually like to see:
  • Ken - His classic SFII stage, updated to be a nice yacht at an upscale marina.
  • R. Mika - A wrestling dojo with women practicing in a ring in the background, others lifting weights, and Yoko Harmageddon riding back and forth on her golf cart.
  • F.A.N.G - An opium den-looking mad science lair with poison concoctions in various containers in the background. The air is filled with purple fog.
  • Kolin - A shrine built in Gill’s honor at the site where Kolin first encountered him. It’s snowing heavily here, with the background practically being all white.
  • Ed - The headquarters of Neo-Shadaloo, resembling a high tech Star Trek bridge, with the three characters from his character story performing various tasks in the background.
  • Menat - A gypsy barge floating down the Nile River, filled with lots of mystic artifacts that Menat has acquired in her travels. You’ll pass pyramids, camels, and crocodiles as the boat moves on.
I really think stages help bring the characters to life.
I hope you get a job at Capcpom.

Pompadour

Juri - The exterior of ”The Spider's Web," a nightclub in the Gangnam District of Seoul, with her motorcycle parked out front. Neon signs illuminate the background.

I'll take this one if you make Juri's current theme the stage theme and give her a new remix of her SF4 theme. I actually like her current theme but it doesn't feel like a "character theme" at all (not nearly energetic enough). I think the fact that it sounds so low-key and muted would work great in your stage idea because it already sounds like club music thumping from a nearby building.

delSai

I just cant do well with characters that dont have SPDs it seems. Guess i'll play Gief until someone else with a 360 gets added. Which probably wont happen in S3.

Also Ryce always comes up with the best ideas

Pompadour

I just cant do well with characters that dont have SPDs it seems. Guess i'll play Gief until someone else with a 360 gets added. Which probably wont happen in S3.

Also Ryce always comes up with the best ideas

So it's not just a grab you need, you need the actual motion to go with it?

dbztrk

Can anyone tell me what the connection is between Gill and Alex? Are they related because they look alike. I always thought they were twins.

Pompadour

Can anyone tell me what the connection is between Gill and Alex? Are they related because they look alike. I always thought they were twins.

It's pretty vague but Alex is the Illuminati's chosen one or something. In one of the endings (Gill's?) his skin turns blue and red like Gill's.

We've been there with SFV, launch isn't everything.

Post release support, contents and the game's FGC presence depends on active user base. Even when Capcom aim for 2 million launch, they have another completely different number for the amount of active players that make post launch support viable. MvCI tanked hard, but we don't know if three to six months from now, the number of active players who will be there for the DLC isn't going to be enough for Capcom to keep supporting the game.

Edit: I feel like I made this same exact post at least 10 times, between SFV and MvCI(maybe even Monster Hunter) on Gaf and other places. ;p
I mean, you could also tell folks to look no further then Mass Effect Andromeda.

Scotia

Banned

It's hinted that Alex is actually a descendant of the Illuminati and is related to Gill and Urien in some way. If you want theories, then there's a theory that Alex is actually the true Chosen One that the Illuminati prophesied, not Gill.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's hinted that Alex is actually a descendant of the Illuminati and is related to Gill and Urien in some way. If you want theories, then there's a theory that Alex is actually the true Chosen One that the Illuminati prophesied, not Gill.

That theory is full of hogwashes since Alex always get stuck in low tier. Look at Urien.

Devid905

X-Kira dropping tons of hints for future DLC contents on his facebook page in the last few hours. Most interestingly to me, he said a new Shadaloo stage is coming, the stormy grass stage from Alpha 2 is making a comeback (along with Detroit Highway stage), and mentioned something about English and sticks (might he be hinting Eagle, but who knows).

Naarmight

Have they actually said what the music packs are? Also with the arrival of the Halloween costumes I think it is safe to bet on Zeku being released on Halloween night

LakeEarth

Where does Jean Reno fit into all of this?

Ryce

X-Kira dropping tons of hints for future DLC contents on his facebook page in the last few hours. Most interestingly to me, he said a new Shadaloo stage is coming, the stormy grass stage from Alpha 2 is making a comeback (along with Detroit Highway stage), and mentioned something about English and sticks (might he be hinting Eagle, but who knows).
He only outright said that a "New" (I'm guessing he meant Neo) Shadaloo stage is coming, and he sort of hinted at stages for Kolin and Menat. The Alpha stage pictures are probably just requests/speculation since they're not accompanied by text.

probably tourney banned, but the GOAT!

New Generation stage in SFV? No way that's happening. Capcom doesn't acknowledge the existence of anything past SFII and 3rd Strike.

I really want Ken's 2nd Impact Stage instead

Pompadour

I hope X-Kira isn't letting more bullshit wishlisting fly just because he nailed the content in today's update.

Sayad

I mean, you could also tell folks to look no further then Mass Effect Andromeda.
What happened with Andromeda?!

Tanked hard, season pass was supposed to include a story DLC about one of the missing arks.

EA saw the sales, said fuck that and ceased all future DLC
Oh! I see, yea, Andromeda is a better example of the type of game/DLC model Capcom is aiming for with MvCI than SFV, pack it up boys!

MrCarter

New Generation stage in SFV? No way that's happening. Capcom doesn't acknowledge the existence of anything past SFII and 3rd Strike.

I really want Ken's 2nd Impact Stage instead

What are you on? We have 4 SF3 characters (Urien, Alex, Ibuki and Kolin) in this game and they all have their nostalgia costumes and themes reimagined.

I think he meant between SFII and 3S, but not including the characters themselves. Second impact does have some nice music and stages that are worth considering for whatever SF3 characters are coming in season 2. Ken can keep the meh New York stage and we can get Alex's second impact stage, but we eventually have to get Akuma's 3S stage, though. It is a crime against SF that it hasn't been remade in SFV.
True but, but Xrd Rev didn't have much opportunity for growth and DBFZ is Bamco's call not ASW, and we know how what they think about this from Tekken 7...
Now that is a good point.

jett

D-Member
Is anyone familiar with modding this game?

I want to install an old green screen mod for the game, but it's not in .pak form, it's a bunch of folders. What do I gotta do here?

Wow jett, thought you'd given up on this game. See you're using my tech now.
I deleted this game. I am done.

I used to be a casual fan of fighting games, happy with my casualness. Just playing arcade modes, against the CPU, occasionally against fellow casual friends. That was my fun. Now I kinda hate playing fighting games. The brainless AIs of arcade modes aren't enough anymore and online is an exercise in frustration. Don't want to ever learn how to play a fighter seriously again, what a gigantic waste of time and energy.

cHaotix8

GG cHaotix, that was a good match.

GG's man. Try mixing in your jump ins with heavies more often. You let me get away with lazy jab anti airs and could have blown that up for big damage.

Also, DBF is the future if Namco provides a good tournament circuit. Dragon Ball's influence itself already gives it a good amount of potential and Capcom's fumbling will only make it easier for them to sneak in and take the reigns. Not everyone has time to play multiple games competitively, so people are going to gravitate to what's the most fun/best netcode/money/aesthetically pleasing.

I don't play much, I'm just interesting in giffing its animations at the moment. :p

Thanks!
Please make some Kolin gifs too, preferably of her cr.hk (stay crouched so that the full recovery animation plays)

Also some gifs of Ed's complete animations, that motherfucker has some amazing recovery animations.

What happened with Andromeda?!

Sorry for vagueness, there is a couple of parallels one can draw between the two titles. While one is an RPG (Andromeda) and the other is a Fighting game (MVCI). One of the those I can see is the reception both got.

Andromeda's reception wasn't good, and though Andromeda's reception is mainly due to buggy engine overall, something I don't believe MvCI suffers from, MvCI reception fell flat on it's face from more of a political stand point.

He covers topics such as the lack of X-Men/Fantastic Four characters in the base roster, as well as Capcom’s choice to mainly feature returning veterans on their side, as well as the decision to do away with Assists all together in favor the Tag System.

Which is pretty fascinating IMO. Since the gameplay for both is different, I believe the reception itself doesn't necessarily cut through the same type of cake, the negative press has had an impact on sales from both ends of the spectrum. Andromeda released March 21 so we can see how well it has faired post launch support. This is something I'm fearful for MvCI is the post launch support. I do genuinely believe what you said, MvCI should have a player base to support it, but does Marvel care to actually give into player demands for a better roster? If this game doesn't sell well, I do not believe it'll get post-launch support.

jett

D-Member
Please make some Kolin gifs too, preferably of her cr.hk (stay crouched so that the full recovery animation plays)

Also some gifs of Ed's complete animations, that motherfucker has some amazing recovery animations.

If I ever get this shit working, which I'm not lol. Maybe this green screen mod is too old to work for the current game.

MCD250

Me after the patch drops and I buy all the Cammy costumes.

giphy.gif

I just wanna see all the colours for that F.A.N.G costume.

Goddamn it Capcpom got me excited to spend money wtf that hasn't happened since before the game launched.

Rymuth

I just wanna see all the colours for that F.A.N.G costume.

Goddamn it Capcpom got me excited to spend money wtf that hasn't happened since before the game launched.
Thats the honeymoon dopamine talking. We all know you're overdue for a ritualistic uninstalltion of the game 😛

Sorry for vagueness, there is a couple of parallels one can draw between the two titles. While one is an RPG (Andromeda) and the other is a Fighting game (MVCI). One of the those I can see is the reception both got.

Andromeda's reception wasn't good, and though Andromeda's reception is mainly due to buggy engine overall, something I don't believe MvCI suffers from, MvCI reception fell flat on it's face from more of a political stand point.

Which is pretty fascinating IMO. Since the gameplay for both is different, I believe the reception itself doesn't necessarily cut through the same type of cake, the negative press has had an impact on sales from both ends of the spectrum. Andromeda released March 21 so we can see how well it has faired post launch support. This is something I'm fearful for MvCI is the post launch support. I do genuinely believe what you said, MvCI should have a player base to support it, but does Marvel care to actually give into player demands for a better roster? If this game doesn't sell well, I do not believe it'll get post-launch support.

There's a big difference here: ME has no outside source of income like MvC potentially does. There aren't tournaments for ME's multiplayer, or esports events, or whatever. They rely on game sales and DLC with a massive budget, whereas MvC, like SFV, can get by with promotional esports monies being dumped on its head, longtail sales from being a fighting game, and already hosting a pretty small budget.

It'll probably be the second most watched game (not including Smash titles), so Marvel probably wants to get in on the groundfloor of esports to get more eyes on their products. I feel like unless the esport side flounders, and their hail maries stop working (like pushing it on black friday, during commericals and shit, releasing wanted dlc, a new edition etc), this game will get support. It might be more on Capcom's bucks though.

Sayad

Looking at your link, even though the game bombed hard enough for EA to cancel the single player DLC, the part of the game people are still playing(multiplayer) is still being supported, if anything, this strengthen my case for "keeping support for the active player base" more than it hurts it! :D

MCD250

I feel like Halloween Birdie and Halloween FANG could probably appear together in a movie as some sort of mad doctor/butcher duo. Their customes look like they have similar aesthetics.

What are you on? We have 4 SF3 characters (Urien, Alex, Ibuki and Kolin) in this game and they all have their nostalgia costumes and themes reimagined.

I also mentioned 3rd Strike.

I would love to see stages and music from the Alpha stages, New Generation and 2nd Impact.

Top Bottom